Walrus The BrainpanCydonia Cross-Server Walrus - Won by Lebossle

This walrus has been approved by Walrein.

Welcome to the BrainpanCydonia Cross-server Walrus.

What is Walrus? It's a forum game where you submit songs to me according to various categories and I rank and score them based on how much I like them. And don't let the fact that I like damn near everything throw you. My only general standards are "in tune" and "no ear rape", but if you can impress me with your choice... well, it's anybody's game.

So what does the man who gleefully found out about station variety options after hitting the 249 stations cap on Pandora want? To pit Kongregate, Smogon, and MafiaUniverse against each other in a song selection free-for-all.

To join, simply sign up in this thread (or if you're from MU, drop me a DM at BrainpanSonata#0280). Submissions must be done by PM/DM, including YouTube links to your picks. One by one, categories will be revealed in the official walrus Discord server (thanks to Walrein for letting me borrow it) and the respective threads.

Scores will be logged and tracked via Google spreadsheet. Scoring is done on a 0.0-10.0 points range, with bonus points for making the top three in a category (1 for third, 2 for second, and 3 for first). Any categories you fail to submit for or which don't fit the specific standards of a particular category will automatically be scored 0. If you and another player submit the same song for a category, you will both get the same score. Aim for the highest overall score, or play along for fun and the love of music.

The scoresheet will be posted after every round.

The 9 categories are as follows:

Pump You Up
This category is about songs that jump start your good mood or get you ready for any challenges you have to face. No downer songs. I wanna hear your musical battle cry.
Examples:
Survival by Muse
Come With Me Now by The Kongos
TNT by AC/DC

Well-Covered
It's all been done before, or so they say. So gimme someone else's spin on a popular song. Please include the name of the original artist/band with your submission. If the covering artist is you, expect to be judged by the same standards as the professionals.
Examples:
The Pretender by Infected Mushroom
Black Hole Sun by Postmodern Jukebox ft. Haley Reinhart
Come Together by Arctic Monkeys

Make 'Em Laugh
Silly, cheeky comedy for the masses. No stand-up routines, please, I want songs that were created to produce laughter.
Examples:
Dora's Dark Side by Antsy McClain and the Trailer Park Troubadours
Do You Want A Taco by Psychostick
Poisoning Pigeons in the Park by Tom Lehrer

All Around The World
The entire world doesn't speak English and neither do the songs in this category. YT vids with English subtitles are okay, but you can only have a maximum of five English words in your submission (if a word is repeated, the duplicates do not count towards the hard cap). Pick your lyrics carefully, because there's no instrumental songs allowed, either.
Examples:
13 Días by Manu Chao
Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien by Edith Piaf
Juu Mensou by GUMI

Do The Mash
Whether serious or silly, sometimes the best thing you can do is take two (or more) songs and smush them together. All songs in this category are mashups. Skill of editing/arrangement will be included in the judging factors for this category.
Examples:
Time Halation by Triple-Q
Slamtisfaction by Quad City DJs vs Benny Bennasi (courtesy of turdl3)
Singing In The Rain/Umbrella by The Cast of Glee

Disco Is (Not) Dead
Any song from this category must be of the disco genre. No edits, no nu-disco, just pure, original boogie.
Examples:
September by Earth, Wind & Fire
Night Fever by The Bee Gees
Hot Stuff by Donna Summer

A Good Scare
I'm stealing this category from Walrein's walrus because I have a penchant for creepy/spooky/scary/morbid songs. Anything that gives you chills, GIMME.
Examples:
The Greatest Show Unearthed by Creature Feature
If I Told You Once by Circus Contraption
BRAINS! by Voltaire

Animal Magnetism
The only thing your song needs to fit into this category is an animal in the title. Look to the examples to see what I mean.
Examples:
Blackbird by The Beatles
Yellow Cat (Slash) Red Cat by Say Anything
A Horse With No Name by America

School Daze
I want to hear your favorite jam from high school or middle school. The year the song first came out doesn't matter so long as it's something you listen/listened to often in your school years.
Examples (from my own school days):
Revillusion by Tantric
They Don't Want Music by Black Eyed Peas
Charlie the Methadone Man by Fastball
what are the chances of us getting a Meet the Host similar to Walrein's? idk ur music tastes, and ur not as generic-ly indy as walrein is
I think the fact that I found out the hard way that Pandora has a 249 station cap is pretty telling. If it's out of tune or outright ear rape, I'll hate it automatically (and I'm struggling to warm up to nightcore since I have opinions about failure to properly credit), but my tastes are wide and varying.

My fave artists and bands include Muse, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Infected Mushroom, Metallica, Watsky, Arctic Monkeys, Dead Kennedys, Nine Inch Nails, Talking Heads, Antsy McClain and the Trailer Park Troubadours, Voltaire, Circus Contraption, Dire Straights, The Shins, Green Day, Daft Punk, Yoko Kanno, Psychostick, GUMI, Say Anything, MGMT, Adam Ant, Charlie Parker, Cake, Billy Talent, Beth Hart, AWOLnation, Manu Chao, Gorillaz, The Offspring, System of a Down, Kaiser Chiefs, Ludo, Mindless Self Indulgence, OK Go, My Chemical Romance, TWOCELLOS, Easy Star All-Stars, Depeche Mode, Astor Piazzolla, Mudhoney, Deadmau5, Nujabes, Queen, Rush, Soundgarden, Hatsune Miku, The Black Mages, The Doors, The Rumjacks, Pegboard Nerds, The Pillows, The Sisters of Mercy, Parov Stellar, Metric, Lindsey Stirling, Panic! At The Disco, The Traveling Wilburys, Zeds Dead, We Are Scientists, The Melvins, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Stone Temple Pilots, Skazi, LCD Soundsystem, Gojira, Kansas, Freezepop, Frank Sinatra, Devo, Arcade Fire, Asian Kung Fu Generation, Flogging Molly, Modest Mouse, Tool, Sleeping with Sirens, Tenacious D, The Killers, The Specials, They Might Be Giants, VNV Nation, Georges Brassens, The White Stripes, The Black Keys, Motorhead, The Birthday Massacre, L7, "Iz" Kamakiwiwo'ole, and numerous others, as well as various musical, movie, anime, and video game soundtracks.

Ullar (Smogon)
Earlio (Smogon)
Texas Cloverleaf (Smogon)
shubaka17 (Smogon)
zorbees (Smogon)
RODAN (Smogon)
Hitmonleet (Smogon)
Lord Gaius (Smogon)
Yeti (Smogon)
Steven Snype (Smogon)
Whydon (Smogon)
BLOODYRAIN10001 (Kongregate)
Myzozoa (Smogon)
mendelde (Kongregate)
Walrein (Smogon)
LightWolf (Smogon)
Cancerous (Smogon)
Martin (Smogon)
acidphoenix (Smogon)
Fort Colorcastle (Smogon)
nikeas (Kongregate)
Lebossle (Kongregate)
Sam-testings (Smogon)
Da Letter El (Smogon)

Signups are open until Monday the 19th 9pm UTC-6.

Last edited:
Another note: since 6th Grade is the youngest grade for middle school in some school systems, that's my cutoff for how early you can go in School Daze. As long as you listened to your submission in the years from 6th grade to 12th grade graduation, it's fair game, be it from a contemporary CD, the local golden oldies station, or even your school's fight song if you can find it.

I'm gonna give a free pass on proper nouns since the restrictions originally allowed for them without consequence.

So if a song uses the words London, taxi, and love, only taxi and love count towards the cap. And if the song mentions taxi or love more than once, the specific word is only counted once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)