The Art of Psychological Warfare

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate."
Battling is usually divided into three categories. The first is luck, which, as it is out of the control of the player (for the most part) is mostly irrelevant for this guide. The second is teams. This is a combination of the preparation before the battle begins (for instance, Curselax is generally more effective than Curse Registeel or Belly Drum Snorlax), as well as how your team matches up with your opponents (if you don't have a counter for one of their Pokemon, you're hosed). The third common category is prediction. This occurs during the battle. Will they switch to Heracross or leave in Zapdos? Do I counter that with Salamence or leave my Blissey in?

"The supreme excellence is to subdue the armies of your enemies without even having to fight them."
This guide deals with the most overlooked--and often unused--part of battling: psychological warfare. This primarily occurs during the battle, when it occurs at all, but a master of the mind game can use Pokemon that allow this to be more effective. Large-scale battles, with lots of smack-talking before-hand also allow you to psych out your foe.

"Know thy enemy and know thyself, and your victory will not stand in doubt in 100 battles."
The first and most important part of any psychological attack on your opponent is to estimate not only their skill level, but their estimation of yours. If you are fighting someone who is somewhat new, who believes you to be an excellent fighter, then a mere show of prediction will often cause their behavior to become erratic. In one battle I had, I couldn't damage his Pokemon at all, as long as he kept switching. However, I remained one step ahead of his switching each time, so, instead of just doing what he was doing, and continually switching until I made an error, he Exploded his Gengar as I went to Steelix. When I questioned him about this (Gengar was walling my Hariyama), he explained it was to "try and get you out of my head".

"A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective."
If you are fighting someone who is good, but believes you to be a talentless hack, then you can use this to your advantage, as well. Such a person is far more vulnerable to sacrificial strategies, as they will not be looking ahead in the battle, for they believe you to be unable to. Many players will go for a 6-0 on you, or some other outlandish set-up, if they think it will work. "Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Surprises are this enemy's Achilles' Heal. I have gained a small reputation as a decent Advance player, but am rarely seen fighting in RBY and GSC. This is my favorite tactic to employ in those metagames.

Ironically, if you are fighting one who is not only good, but thinks you are good as well, the most obvious move is often the best, all things being equal (Obi's Razor), once the battle gets going. They will see traps where none exist, and 'overpredict' your moves. If your enemy sucks, and has a mutual esteem of your skills, then they are easily predicted, and will either quickly lose, or begin to think you are good, leading to the first scenario.

"What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy."
But how do you accomplish this? How can you make your adversary do what you want? The simplest and most immediate way is to simply talk to your enemy. This is one part I don't know how to explain; you just have to test it out on a lot of people. From the responses you get, and the battle results, you can quickly determine the proper approach to deception. For instance, say it's down to my CB Heracross and some low HP Pokemon, versus a Swampert and a CBmence at about half health, and it's Heracross out vs. Swampert. Against some people, the best response is the truth (say what move you do, they think you're lying), other times, the best response is simply "Hmm... Heracross, let's do this!" If you feel your opponent has conditioned you, your best thing might be to say nothing and flip a coin, but I do not recommend this, as it's basically saying you're not as good as them, meaning you should lose, really.

In the example I gave of the GSC/RBY battle, I would do things during battle such as ask trivial questions. I could easily look up the answer if I didn't already know it (and sometimes I do know it), but by asking it, I set up a sense of superiority in my nemesis. If you play the role of a newbie, that is how they will treat you. In this case, purposefully 'wrong' predictions can actually be a good thing, as it culls that same feeling that you don't know what you're doing. Then, when the time is right, attack the enemy with a strategy he didn't believe you to be capable of, and thus never defended.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
How can your team help with this? Take Jirachi with Protect, Wish, Doom Desire, and some filler move, most likely Body Slam (60% paralysis keeps most enemies from setting up). If you use Doom Desire, Wish, and then Protect, you damage your enemy, nullify their attack, and heal yourself, all in the same turn. This creates the illusion of invincibility, regardless of the actual effectiveness of the set. This is most effective against the player who believes you to be better than he is, but with the occasional Body Slam added in to paralyze, even the veteran player can find himself feeling outclassed by the brick wall that inexorably paralyzes his team, creating fears, however unfounded they may be, of a sweep by something slow, like Ursaring or Marowak. However, I don't even need to do this. 8 PP for Doom Desire lasts surprisingly long.

"When torrential water tosses boulders, it is because of its momentum. When the strike of a hawk breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing."
All of that, however, is secondary, in most battles. The single most important aspect of this fourth leg of battling is conditioning. However, this is impossible to do without the proper foundations of a team, and a basic ability to predict your enemy. Many believe that to be victorious in battle, unpredictability is a good thing. This is, by and large, incorrect. Unpredictability alone will not win a battle, and unpredictability without a purpose is tactics without strategy--the noise before defeat. No, a true master of psychological warfare will be predictable as long as is needed.
Sirlin said:
And this is where Sun Tzu comes in. My use of Rose’s low strong move is both a method of winning before fighting and of waiting. The low strong is an uninspiring little punch that doesn’t have all that much range, but it has amazing priority to beat other attacks. It’s also incredibly fast, allowing Rose to do multiple low strongs in a row with only the tiniest of gaps.
A side effect of my low strongs is that they create a “baseline expectation” of what I’m going to do. The sneaky roundhouse I do after the 17th low strong is pretty tricky, actually. I mean, wouldn’t you expect an 18th low strong after the 17th one? (Note: I was actually even more sneaky, by doing the 18th low strong, then the low roundhouse.)
It is far better to create an expectation of doing something than an expectation of uncertainty. This is because the uncertain opponent is unpredictable. When they know what you're going to do, you can know what they are going to do. Then you finally do one surprising move at just the right moment to guarantee a sweep. For instance, say my Heracross uses Focus Punch, but his Weezing predicts this and uses Sludge Bomb. I am clearly forced to switch here, as he can just keep using Sludge Bomb all day with no ill effects, for I am CBed. He has been conditioned into believing me to be a very cautious battler, as my maxim is to predict only when prediction is needed. Now, I have a Jirachi, and Sludge Bomb is a great move to switch into. Only an idiot would leave in Heracross, and since my enemy doesn't think I'm an idiot, the thought of me leaving in Heracross never crosses his mind, so he switches to his Jirachi counter, Earthquake Snorlax.

Heracross is tightening its focus!
Bob Dole withdrew Weezing!
Bob Dole sent out Snorlax (Lv.100 Snorlax)!
---------------------------------
Heracross used Focus Punch!
(82% damage)
It's super effective!
Snorlax fainted!

More later maybe, sleep time for now. :) Uncredited quotes stolen from Sun Tzu's The Art of Warfare

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
"A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective."

why is this twice :x

True words about playing to win, deception, brick walls and all that. Think it's slightly more relevant in a fighting game though, since then the opponent has to do the thinking on their feet. In pokemon, even if you put on the pressure with a brick wall or whatever, they don't have an obnoixious timer killing them.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Good read, I like to add that you can pose as a newbie or a skilled vertan but if you play where you are known to be the opposite, this cannot work as they know you are/not capable of doing things like that

I unno but while I was reading, the italics text was kind of hard on my eyes as it is right above the paragrapher. Maybe bold it also? =[

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Reformatted, changed a duplicate quote. I think I'll write more on timing now.

Sirlin to Pokemon, cool. Also, deception is big in a way people don't realize. Here's my big tip: keep your secrets. Always keep track of what moves you have used in a battle and what Pokemon you have brought out. Always strive to keep that fourth move and that sixth Pokemon secret, and then antagonize the foe with that move or that Pokemon. Constantly move the threaten certain things, lead them to believe that one of their Pokemon counters the mystery. Allow them to defend something that they did not need, and allow them to sacrifice what was really the crux of their defense. Use the advantage of a secret move to play crazy prediction games; switch into things you cannot hurt and make them believe you can, and then further fool them by a "prediction" of their switch. Especially hide the 4th move on Gengar and other such Pokemon; fight to avoid giving them peace of mind. Also, keep track of when that secret can benefit you. If you can surprise the enemy and severely wound them, stay your hand and switch. They will now believe you cannot kill them with that Pokemon, and your surprise move later will be able to get that kill instead of mere damage.

Also, the obvious move is not always the best. Be varied and screw with them. Make totally counter intuitive moves if you can do so with no risk; it will cloud your purpose but keep the path clear for you. If no move accomplishes much really, do the one that makes the most noise and causes the most fear. Act like you plan to set up on them when you really don't and see the fear.

Ok, that's what I do insofar as deception. I also sometimes nickname my Pokmeon the names of other species, but that worked better on RSBot...

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
wrote a big reply to this yesterday but it got deleted when I ran out of time on the internet here.. I thought it important that I post since the "Many believe that to be victorious in battle, unpredictability is a good thing. This is, by and large, incorrect." is obviously directed at me.. Unpredictability over prediction has always been my pokemon motto, it has been the one thing I have always encouraged people to pick up.

I understand your points here, but when you say that I am by and large incorrect you are being by and large incorrect.. Like even you go on in your statement to say that being unpredictable is bad because it will make your opponent unpredictable.. Which doesnt exactly make a lot of sense..

I mean it is patently obvious to anyone that unpredictability alone is not going to win a pokemon battle, otherwise ingame would be a whole lot more difficult. But it is perfectly possible to be unpredictable while still following a strategy..

Where you say an uncertain opponent will be an unpredictable opponent I tend to disagree, when someone is uncertain they tend to become more predictable..

The fact is, that most top level pokemon battlers think they are better than everyone else, and think that they deserve to win battles. This is probably caused by the fact that when they practice, they tend to practice more often against people who arent very good.. They try to eliminate luck from the game because they think that on account of their greater playing ability, the less luck there is, the greater the chance of their victory will be. Because of this, when uncertain, they tend to immediately err more strongly on the side of caution.

For instance, I used to have a strategy where I would claim to my opponent that instead of chosing which move based on what I believed my opponent would do, I would flip a coin. As soon as I said this, I knew my opponent would chose the safest possible option and I would predict it.. It worked several times for me without fail..

Other similar ideas I have used was using Parafusion in RBY. Parafusion isnt an entirely sound strategy, but with luck it could sweep a team.. Because of this, people in an attempt to remove the luck element from the battle, tend to become predictable, attempting a thunderwave on the confuse ray turn, then switching out once full parafused, possibly to try again with the next pokemon, and hoping not to be paralysed by the bodyslam. However, because they are so distracted by the possible threat of Lapras, they usually forgot about the possible threat of paralysing a Chansey that they didnt intend to..

To be honest, had the user with the Weezing been truly following my advice, he could have tried something like a switch to Zapdos rather than Snorlax, the likely switch to Jirachi could come, and Zapdos could then Baton Pass to Snorlax, safe from being out predicted and fully aware that Jirachi is unlikely to defeat Snorlax even with the advantage of Snorlax being forced to switch in.. Furthermore they could have just left Weezing in.. I mean, if it was your physical Jirachi Weezing could WilloWisp it, or they could switch to Snorlax on that turn.. I dont really know the circumstances of the battle but it seems to me that it was pretty much up in the air at that point, I dont think you could say for certain that Weezing would switch, even having played safely throughout the battle.. Basically you were just rewarded for your unpredictability IMO.

Yeah, I am at some point going to write my own guide about prediction, just not while I am away, and it is difficult to reconcile it with the guides that have already been written.. I am not sure how I am gonna do it..

Have a nice day.

obi

formerly david stone
Well, unpredictability is good, but only to a point. That wasn't directed at you, or anyone, really. I don't think I phrased that right, because rereading it, it sounds like I'm saying unpredictability is a bad thing. What I was trying to say was that you need to make your opponent think you are predictable, only to do something really crazy at just the right moment. Thinking large and timing right were my real points, there. I was also trying to say that if you are unpredictable to the point of randomness, it makes your opponent harder to predict, because they have to think about more things. If they only expect you to one thing, then that is the only thing they will defend against.

I used to abuse the psychological warfare a lot, I do a lot less of it nowdays because it tends to take too much effort but it was cool to read some stuff I used to do and pick up on some stuff I didn't - it felt like you were kinda reaching with some of the quote, but I recognized almost all of them which added something to the guide's entertainment value.

Probably the best article I've read on smogon.

obi

formerly david stone
In response to AA, I agree.

Say my last Pokemon is a DDtar, and I keep it unrevealed throughout the match, until Swampert is brought into low health. My enemy now lacks a Pokemon to counter both Boah and DDtar. If their team is weak to DDtar at this point, but have Boah covered, I could reveal that I have Tyranitar, but switch it out without attempting to set up. They realize that they lack a true DDtar counter, and would have to sacrifice a Pokemon or two to take it down, but since I did not set up with Tyranitar, it must be Boah. They will likely be lax in their protection of DDtar counters, and be extra careful with their Boah counters. Then you can wait until, rather than taking down 3 Pokemon, Tyranitar takes down all 6.

There's another way to play this, as well. Instead, you reveal Tyranitar, and use Rock Slide or whatever, letting them know your flavor of Tyranitar. You then keep Tyranitar in reserve, never letting its HP fall below some critical value. Their CB Mence is more likely to EQ the predicted switch to Tyranitar, as only Tyranitar can really wreak havoc with a single turn of set-up. This allows your own Salamence to switch in with impunity, to slowly chip away at their team, until it can either sweep or remove the last vestiges of a DDtar counter from their team.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah, when I rewrote my message I dont think I did as good a job as the original. I wasnt meaning to be so harsh on your guide as a whole. I think it is one of the best we have so far, I just didnt like that one line..

Have a nice day.

About revealing your hand, or revealing as much as you want to to manipulate the opponent:

I far prefer keeping things entirely a secret. If possible, I never let on about what my hidden power is until it'll faint something. As someone already said, it's usually a good idea to 'pretend' your hiddenpower/set is not capable of dealing with a pokemon it actually can, to imply another set.

On the other hand though, sometimes I do actually let rip with my 'secret' move very quickly. Say I have focus punch on something a bit odd that draws out blissey or t-tar. Now, it might seem stupid to let them know I have it, but I think experience with a single team is a large part of battling. I very rarely change my team, and only slightly change it bit at a time. As a result, I'm very familiar with not only how every member of my team works, but how my opponent will probably react.

For the example of the special attacker with focus punch - I've become familiar with when t-tar/blissey will be called out. Due to the fact that I've replayed the scenario a thousand times with the team, and this is their first time fighting it - I immediately have the advantage of familiarity with the situation. It's far easier to land focus punches when you are aware ahead of time what most people will consider 'safe' against that pokemon.

And while this is going off on quite a tangent, I think there's something to be said for experience with a team. Of course, someone who knows your team will have an easier time than if you're throwing surprises at him - but rather than changing your team by replacing say, 3/4 pokemon, you might find a rather esoteric counter to things like aerodactyl, or salamence. Sometimes I'm so entirely aware of what each of my team can handle that my opponent, while technically at an advantage, can't stop my counters doing rather odd strategies that otherwise wouldn't be seen - extrodinarily specific to my exact set of pokemon with their movesets. It also means you're more familiar with your pokemon in the event that your opponent does throw something very new at you and you need an on the spot counter - you need to know if X pokemon can actually take that hit, or whatever.

I'd relate it to how in fighters, people who get good with one character and just one character don't need as much to use the standard counter characters, but instead work out very odd off the wall counters with what they're most familiar with - which surprises their opponents. as for me, I simply follow this route because I am awful at team building and wouldn't be able to win without slowly tweaking a single team as need be. Just as I can only learn one character in a fighting game because I'm not technically talented enough to learn two or four ;P

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
To add a bit to this, I was once faced in a situation where the opponent started talking to me while playing, and I stayed silent throughout. It came to a point where my silence actually unnerved my opponent more than his words did to me. He started saying things like 'speek to me fagot', which made me realise that he was now getting unsettled by my silence. In fact, a few moves later he made a costly mistake which won me the game. As they say, sometimes silence is an answer, and can play psychological wars on your opponent more than words can ever play.

My problem is this is what exactly is stopping your opponent from predicting you too? Considering this is a pretty widely read guide (505 reads already), what's stopping the opponent from counter-predicting you? Also, prediction's result can be pretty unpredictable when you fight an opponent you have no knowledge of. I've tried prediction on several occassions but when I don't get it right, the results can really ruin my chances for the battle.

I guess this really comes with experience, rather than as a type of skill.

I understand, I remember when I was playing with some intermediate from PokeRealm and I played with his mind. I told him what I was going to do, he didn't believe me turned out I told the truth. I told him what I was going to do, he didn't believe me and turned out I told the truth. Both mesed him up pretty bad. Then I told him what I was going to do and he finally believed me, too bad I lied that time and I won the game. I had a UU team though, it was pretty funny.

obi

formerly david stone
Well, you can't be certain of what they will do ever, but you can be reasonably confident. Yes, it's possible the other person is trying to play mind games with you, but the same can be said for teams. You make a team, it's quite possible you fight someone whose team just counters yours. In that case, you make a better team later and outplay him in other areas now. You have to practice this to see what a person is going to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)