1. Our third apparel sale is live. New design + reprint of the athletic design. Support us and get a shirt!
  2. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  4. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Suggestions

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by Vacate, Apr 1, 2015.

1. CryoGyro

CryoGyro makes doing checks seem such a breeze
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Speaking of weather and Terrains, Gen 7's in-game battle interface tells you exactly how many turns such effects will last for, whether it be for 5 or 8. Showdown does no such thing for Gen 7 battles, so can it start to? You would have an easier time playing around weather teams if you know that a weather setter is holding the weather-extending Rock.
    Silver_Lucario42 likes this.
  2. Siggu

Siggu

Uhm... as far as I remember from VGC it does not tell you whether the weather lasts 8 turns until after the fifth turn passed, just like in Showdown.
    Sondero likes this.
  3. Sondero

Sondero Giveaway Extraordinaire
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor

Big picture (open)
    [​IMG]

Confirming Siggu 's suspiciouns. The opponent will not be able to see how many turns the rain will last before they find out the caster held the rock.
    For future reference, if you think there are inaccuracies between the games and the simulator, try posting it in Bug reports, after having read the OP of that thread and made sure that it's actually a bug, of course.
    HoeenHero and Luna like this.
  4. EnzoLapras

EnzoLapras

Suggestions from me:
    1) Have a notes section for teambuilder, so that you can make notes about your team as you build it. You could use it to either note down mons that counter/ruin your team, or notes to yourself for how to use the team (useful for those using sample teams).
    2) Similar to 1), but a general one for PS for each user - maybe have a character limit. Could be used for noting down usernames or that kind of thing.
    3) Have the ability to highlight in only one room. This could be useful for experts in one tier to help people in general help rooms

Hope this is clear - if not feel free to query me :)
    OrangeGuru likes this.
  5. Semako

Semako

I've already posted it here but never got a response: The 1 Minute limit to reconnect in ladder games is too short! Considering the delay until the disconnect warning pops up and the time it takes to reload the page, 1 minute is simply too short. Why not simply use the player timer, and when it runs out, the player loses?
    SirSalty, Willdbeast and OrangeGuru like this.
  6. SirSalty

SirSalty

I agree, as annoying as it is to wait for someone to reconnect, I've had my internet go out on multiple occasions mid-game, and had to finish the match on my phone. It takes at least a minute to load up the account again, and once you do, you have almost no time for strategy, you just have to click something and hope for the best. I'm sure people wouldn't mind the extra couple of minutes it takes.
  7. DatHeatmor

DatHeatmor

an option to be able to get rid of highlights for tournaments, but still being able to see the tournament
    Snap likes this.
  8. Cancerium-Z

Cancerium-Z

Y'all should consider having some emotes in chats. Moderators could ban whatever ones they thought would be too much to handle but it'd be fun if it looked like Twitch lol. We could ask the community to create emotes for prizes or something and we'd create them based on already known emotes that make sense, or new ones that the community would be familiar because they are related to Pokémon ( Brock pan, Pikachu ketchup etc.)
  9. Tiksi

Tiksi Welcome to Hell!
    is a Battle Server Moderator

It seems like the verdict on PS note systems is that they aren't worth the effort to program when you can use off-site noting on pastebin/google docs/etc. Noting actually inside PS could be more convenient, yes, but it doesn't seem enough of an improvement to convince anyone to compose it from scratch with other projects (e.g. Multi Battles) still in the wings.

This one's probably a no since twitch emotes work great in Twitch's rapid-fire chat lacking concern for consistent quality, but not so well on Showdown because of their disruptiveness and distractingness.

If you mean the per-turn player timer, using that and having the internet explode mid-way through a turn (especially if you were occupied on a previous turn e.g. dealing with another connection shortage) could spell doom. If you mean the total game timer, that would open the door too wide for timerstalling and intentional disconnecting.
    Earth likes this.
  10. Semako

Semako

No, I meant the per-turn timer. When that runs out, you lose because of inactivity. And THIS TIMER SHOULD BE USED WHEN DISCONNECTED TOO. And not a short 1 minute timer.
  11. Scyther NO Swiping

Scyther NO Swiping give me more food please

I went through and took the suggestions from the last 10 pages and bumped them up somewhere where they will have more visibility with developers. I'll update the OP with them as soon as I have a chance and try to keep that updated, so try to remember to check the OP to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been posted yet before posting here. Great suggestions guys, keep them coming!

e: op updated now
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  12. Bayb

Bayb

Ok, so I think it is very unfair to lose almost 10 points every day I am not laddering. Like I reached 1950 in OU recently and I lost 40 points after 3 days not playing.
    I shouldn't be forced to play every day in order to keep that elo especially at this point where it is getting more and more difficult to win.
    I understand you want to prevent people from not battling once a certain elo is reached but there are other ways. At least make us loose one point a day it would be more fair.
    Thank you.
  13. Snap

Snap

Everything explained about decaying is explained here and was put in place by zarel to avoid this:
    . Along with this, in OU it's currently
    This is all done to give people incentive to continue to ladder and not just get first place and never play until they have someone pass them. If it was changed to only lose "one point a day", it would make the ladder became stagnant and cause there to be no movement making the top 10 almost never change unless someone laddered past them, unlike now where it is constantly changing and different players can achieve different ranks and be forced to continue to play to maintain those ranks. I'd suggest clicking the link I gave earlier and giving it a read because it all makes thorough sense that way.
    Luna likes this.
  14. Flareon Blitz

Flareon Blitz formerly SkyPhoenix

Something I randomly thought of. As far as I'm concerned the character limit for both Private Messages and Chat messages is 300, not implying that everyone sends that kind of content everytime everyday but, wouldn't it be useful to have a character counter at the bottom right of the PM window and chat window respectively?
  15. Scar The Colossus

Scar The Colossus

Not sure if this is a bug or the way the new mechanic worked out, but I'm having a lot of problems with the new VGC timer system. The new system will Auto-select pokemon/moves for you if you time out so you don't get DQ'ed for thinking too long (Thats the way it works in game). However, I've had several games now where my opponent will leave, so I'm stuck waiting until time every turn and fighting their 'mons even though they aren't there. I feel like loss on inactivity needs to come back, considering the nature of showdown and its players. At the very least, going to time on team select should be a DQ, because that would be the best indicator that they are not actually there.
  16. Broken Phobias

Broken Phobias

I agree with this statement as it seems easily abusable on the other end if you are actually there and just timer stalling.
  17. Rage.Spam.Quit.

Rage.Spam.Quit.

Whenever CAP players use Tailwind or Trick Room with the CAP Pokemon Fidgit and its ability Persistent (which extends the two moves listed before by two turns), it only shows the battle screen effect for the normal 3 (in the case of Tailwind) or 5 turns (in the case of Trick Room). However, Persistent still extends the duration of these moves by two turns, which isn't implied by the battle screen. Can you make this so it's like the messages displaying how many turns Rain are left (ex: except saying "5 or 8 turns left", "5 or 7 turns left" for TR and same for Tailwind)
  18. pokewok1402

pokewok1402

when you do /randmove you can put a specific generation in like for example /randpoke gen 1 or something like that much like with /randpoke
  19. Scyther NO Swiping

Scyther NO Swiping give me more food please

You can do that already, do /randmove gen #
  20. Elec.

Elec. ㄥ丨ㄥ丨几ㄩҜ乇
    is a Pre-Contributor

idk where tf this goes so im posting this here. is it possible to make the caps and stretch filter less sensitive? so extend the amount of characters needed to trigger the filter. cuz right now, mainly with stretch filter, it invalidates certain usernames making them unable to talk in rooms with the filter on, and often times the ros wont turn them off when asked. as for how much the character limit should be now if we extend it, im thinking the limit should be 8.
    we all know the reason is that i want to be able to talk in certain rooms with my name all spaced out and caps
    Silver_Lucario42 likes this.
  21. Memington

Memington

Stealth Rocks run rampant and unchecked in Randoms. Can they be made less common? Or at least have the counters be made more common?
  22. Silver_Lucario42

Silver_Lucario42

you know how tournaments give you those notifications saying "please respond within x seconds or you will automatically be disqualified"? why don't those come up whenever a battle becomes available instead of just coming up randomly?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)