SM PU Stoutland Sand Semi-Stall: PU Edition (Peaked #1 on PU Ladder, 89+ GXE, 1702 ELO)

Introduction:
Here's my Stoutland Sand Semi-Stall that I used to climb to the top of the PU ladder. It features Hippopotas as its sand and Stealth Rocks setter, Quagsire as a physical wall and a response to set up threats, Articuno as a defogger and Pressure Stall pokemon, Lurantis as a secondary defogger and set up threat, Lickilicky as a cleric and wish passer and Stoutland as the sand abuser and late game cleaner as well as a pursuit trapper. After my success in RU with a Semi-Stall Stoutland Stall which can be found here, I decided to bring it down to PU and see how it would compare to its RU counterpart. Luckily, it seems that it works just as well in PU as it did in RU. Hope you enjoy the team :].

Proof of Peak:
USUM PU sand stall Ladder peak.jpg
Peaked #1 on PU Ladder

The Team:

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Hippopotas is a must on this team as it is the main way that a person is able to set sand without having to do so manually. Further more, it acts a stealth rocker which is absolutely necessary on any team and even more so on a stall team. Due to eviolite and its access to recovery in slack off, Hippopotas is further able to help the team by being a switch in to things like Hitmonchan, Aggron, and Dodrio. Thanks to all the aforementioned roles that Hippopotas fulfills, it was an easy addition to the team.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Quagsire is a simple and easy addition to any stall team. This team is no different.Quagsire allows the team to have a solid Physical wall that can not only switch in to threats like Choice Band Aggron, Golurk, Hitmonchan and many more, as well as shut down most physical set up Pokemon that could otherwise threaten the team. For example, things like Sword Dance Dodrio, bulk up Gurdurr, and Swords dance Lycanroc would be very difficult for this team to deal with if not for Quagsire. The move set is pretty standard and the EV spread is just meant to maximize Quagsire's ability to take on physical attackers.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Toxic
- Defog
- Freeze-Dry

Articuno serves as this teams premier special wall as well as a defogger that can utilize its Pressure ability to ensure that the opponent has less hazards than you have Defogs. This is important because hazards will make this team much more susceptible to being 2hko'd by opposing pokemon. Luckily, with access to Roost, Defog and Toxic, it is able to defog away hazards and rack up continuous chip damage on hazard setters. It also serves as a way to beat pokemon like Choice Specs Water Spout Jellicent, Life Orb Haunter and Stall breaker Jellicent thanks to Freeze Dry being a decently powerful STAB move. The EV spread allows it to take on many special attacker such as the pokemon that were previously mentioned, as well as outspeed threats like Modest Jellicent and other pokemon that commonly hit a speed stat below 230.

Lurantis @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Impish Nature
- Synthesis
- Superpower
- Defog
- Leaf Blade

Lurantis is on this team as it allows you to defog away rocks against pokemon that Articuno has a hard time against. Things like Regirock, Aggron, and Mudsdale threaten Articuno and can set up rocks against it quite easily. However, with Lurantis on the team, they have a harder time keep rocks up since Lurantis is able to defog them away and threaten them with Superpower and Leaf Blade respectively. Furthermore, Superpower Lurantis gives the team a secondary win condition in addition to Stoutland. The EV spread is simply meant to allow Lurantis to take on the aforementioned Stealth Rock setters and function as a secondary physical wall in conjunction with Quagsire .

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off
- Protect

Lickilcky serves three main purposes on this team. The first being that it is able to heal bell and cure statuses off of allied Pokemon, which is essential to any stall team. The second purpose it serves is as a wish passer, this allows it to heal up Stoutland as it can come in on a direct attack from opposing Pokemon and get back a large amount of HP and then threaten the opponent with its strong moves. The third function of this Pokemon is it's ability to click knock off. This is important as it allows you to get rid of opposing team members Leftovers and Eviolites, which make breaking down an opponent's team much easier.

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Stoutland is the sand abuser on this team. Not only does Stoutland break through annoying walls and even clean the opponent's team in the late game, it also serves as a way to revenge and pursuit trap threatening Pokemon such as Haunter and Jellicent. Inspired by the old ABR stall, Stoutland can trap things that would otherwise threaten stall, allowing the team to function much better as a stall team. The EV spread and item is meant to allow it to hit as hard as possible and 2hko defensive walls such as Quagsire while also being able to outspeed max speed choice scarf users with a base speed stat of 105 or less while Stoutland is under sand. The moves are fairly standard. Return is its STAB move and the move that will be clicked most often when cleaning with Stoutland late game, Crunch is its way to dealing with Ghost types which are immune to it's STAB, Superpower hits the things that resist its STAB as Superpower is super-effective against both rock and steel types, and Pursuit allows it to trap and kill things that threaten the other members of the team.

Conclusion:
This has been a very fun team to play with and I am extremely glad that a baby version of my RU Sand Semi-Stall is able to work just as well. Thanks for checking out my RMT and hope you enjoy the team :].

Importable:
https://pokepast.es/21e970a50cfcff1b

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello hjkhj,

Congratulations on topping the ladder with such a nice GXE, shows you have a nice amount of skill. Nice idea using Stoutland on such a defensive team, letting it come in after the opponent has been ravaged by Toxic and small amounts of chip damage over time. I can see how the team is designed to function and I like the concept for sure. I do see a few big weaknesses like to Simisear and Oricorio but I can't really give changes to help with switch-ins as that would change the function of the team and Stoutland can help there if you play well, I am sure you know this with such a high GXE anyways. There are a few changes I would defiantly suggest, but overall it's a pretty nice semistall team, well done.

Set Changes:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover
-Scald ---> Curse

With your team being so Toxic forward I a weak Scald from Quagsire will benefit you less then Quagsire being used as an additional wincon. Curse Quagsire also helps check Calm Mind Spiritomb which could be a big threat, but it is rather rare. Putting Curse over Scald and not Toxic is something I like to do as Toxic is generally better getting slow damage, and Quagsire sets up on Ferroseed so burning Ferroseed isn't super important. Pyukumuku can be considered here to help with Simisear, but I wouldn't really suggest it as it opens up Aggron a lot more and Pyukumuku does not do well against Substitute Simisear anyways.[/hide]

Lurantis @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Synthesis
- Superpower ---> Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog
- Leaf Storm

Not a big change here. This set threatens Mudsdale more then Leaf Blade + Superpower. It also lets you not take Iron Barb damage from Ferroseed which is a plus for sure. Articuno can Stall Ferroseed out of Gyro Ball PP, but it also has to go through Roost PP to do so so having Lurantis with Hidden Power Fire helps there too. I think threatening Mudsdale is the more important thing here, however. You really want to keep hazards off the field as much as you can.

Pokemon Changes:

--->

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off
- Protect

Audino does everything Lickilicky does but is the far superior choice as it has access to Regenerator. Lickilicky is a touch bulkier, but it is actually harder to keep healthy as it is always forced between healing itself or a partner. Audino does both at the same time and is much easier to use because of that. This change is just a no brainer and I am assuming was just an oversight as its really the only subpar pokemon choice I see on the team.

Team Changes <-- Click for importable.

Hello hjkhj,

Congratulations on topping the ladder with such a nice GXE, shows you have a nice amount of skill. Nice idea using Stoutland on such a defensive team, letting it come in after the opponent has been ravaged by Toxic and small amounts of chip damage over time. I can see how the team is designed to function and I like the concept for sure. I do see a few big weaknesses like to Simisear and Oricorio but I can't really give changes to help with switch-ins as that would change the function of the team and Stoutland can help there if you play well, I am sure you know this with such a high GXE anyways. There are a few changes I would defiantly suggest, but overall it's a pretty nice semistall team, well done.

Set Changes:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover
-Scald ---> Curse

With your team being so Toxic forward I a weak Scald from Quagsire will benefit you less then Quagsire being used as an additional wincon. Curse Quagsire also helps check Calm Mind Spiritomb which could be a big threat, but it is rather rare. Putting Curse over Scald and not Toxic is something I like to do as Toxic is generally better getting slow damage, and Quagsire sets up on Ferroseed so burning Ferroseed isn't super important. Pyukumuku can be considered here to help with Simisear, but I wouldn't really suggest it as it opens up Aggron a lot more and Pyukumuku does not do well against Substitute Simisear anyways.[/hide]

Lurantis @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Synthesis
- Superpower ---> Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog
- Leaf Storm

Not a big change here. This set threatens Mudsdale more then Leaf Blade + Superpower. It also lets you not take Iron Barb damage from Ferroseed which is a plus for sure. Articuno can Stall Ferroseed out of Gyro Ball PP, but it also has to go through Roost PP to do so so having Lurantis with Hidden Power Fire helps there too. I think threatening Mudsdale is the more important thing here, however. You really want to keep hazards off the field as much as you can.

Pokemon Changes:

--->

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off
- Protect

Audino does everything Lickilicky does but is the far superior choice as it has access to Regenerator. Lickilicky is a touch bulkier, but it is actually harder to keep healthy as it is always forced between healing itself or a partner. Audino does both at the same time and is much easier to use because of that. This change is just a no brainer and I am assuming was just an oversight as its really the only subpar pokemon choice I see on the team.

Team Changes <-- Click for importable.
Hey there, thank you for the suggestions! Quagsire without scald seems a little weird to me since sub Oricorio Sensu is one of the biggest threats to this team and one of the the big ways I usually beat it is by scalding it repeatedly to ensure it doesn't end behind a sub and then pursuit trapping it with Stoutland. As for the suggested Lurantis Change, I have tested both sets and unfortunately the leafstorm variant just seems to run out of PP much faster since it is its only stab and 8 pp(Leafstorm) vs. 24 pp(Leaf Blade) is a big deal from what I have experienced. I could be wrong on this as maybe my testing just so happened to reflect the necessity for the extra PP in Leaf Blade, but I strongly believe the original set works a tad bit better overall with the team. And finally for the Audino suggestion, I completely agree with you. Lickilikcy was there before Articuno as a way to beat stall breaker Jellicent since it cannot be taunted. However, after putting in the Articuno I just forgot that the need for oblivious Lickilicky is no longer there. So the Audino change is definitely more optimal so I thank you for catching that :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)