[STABmons] Ferrothorn [QC 2/3]

QC: Unfixable / Eevee General / X
GP: X / X

upload_2015-6-5_18-22-45.png

[OVERVIEW]
- High Defense and Special Defense alongside 9 resistances, 1 immunity, and a mere 2 weaknesses allow it to take a lot of punishment.
- Speed is one of the slowest in the game making sure Ferrothorn will basically always go last
- Access to many support moves including status and hazards
- Very weak to Fire-type moves and has trouble damaging Fire-type pokemon
- Has both reliable recovery and status healing in Synthesis and Aromatherapy
- Major 4 moveslot syndrome prevents it from using all of its good options at once
- Decent Attack and powerful STAB moves let it hit offensive pokemon hard
- Can be shut down and set up on by the one of best wallbreakers in STABmons, Thundurus-Incarnate
- Hard to switch into thanks to the potential of sleep or paralysis status, Leech Seed to gradually wear down pokemon without recovery, and STAB attacks with high base power.
- While Ferrothorn has its fair share of flaws, it is still a powerful defensive force in the current metagame.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Synthesis / Stealth Rock
move 2: Gyro Ball / Power Whip
move 3: Leech Seed / Spore
move 4: Spore / King's Shield
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
ability: Iron Barbs`
nature: Relaxed
evs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
- Synthesis is reliable recovery that keeps it health throughout the fight. Suffers against weather outside of sun.
High Defense and Special Defense along with 9 resistances, 1 immunity, and only 2 weaknesses allow it to tank a lot of hits.- Gyro Ball is a very powerful STAB against faster offensive pokemon such as Darkrai and Terrakion.
- Power Whip is a reliable Grass STAB that has high power and helps Ferrothorn beat Water, Ground, and Rock type pokemon.
- Leech Seed gives Ferrothorn recovery while allowing it to stack up damage on pokemon that resist its STAB attacks. On this defensive build this should usuakky only be chosen if opting for King's Shield
- Spore cripples most pokemon switching in and allows teammates oppurtunities to set up or apply offensive pressure.
- King's Shield works well with Leech Seed and its secondary effect can force 50-50s which allow Ferrothorn to beat pokemon it normally would not, such as Kangaskhan that has already used Belly Drum.
- Aromatherapy is great for teams that need a cleric and lets Ferrothorn switch into Scald much more confidently but Ferrothorn usually doesn't have the space for it.
- Spikes are a good option for stacking hazards if your team would like the additional chip damage or if another member of the team already has Stealth Rock
Set Details
========
- Spread lets Ferrothorn always live two Brave Birds from Adamant Aerodactyl with Life Orb after Leftovers recovery and Stealth Rock damage.
- Relaxed nature and 0 Speed IVs allow for the most powerful Gyro Ball. This can be changed to an Impish nature and 31 Speed IVs if not running Gyro Ball.
- Leftovers give Ferrothorn passive recovery and allow it to stay healthy without burning turns using Synthesis.
- Rocky Helmet puts a lot more chip damage onto physical attackers with contact moves.

Usage Tips
========
- Use King's Shield to scout the move chosen by pokemon holding Choice items.
- Keep up the chip damage and slowly wear opposing pokemon down. Just continue to pressure them with your STABs and use other moves and hazards to add residual damage.
- Save Spore for a key target that you cannot handle or need disabled to win the game. Spamming Spore will let your opponent choose what they want out of the picture instead of you having your pick.
- Use Leech Seed to keep your health high. If the set does not have any reliable recovery Leech Seed will have to sustain your health for when you need it to stop a sweeper from running through your team.
- Lead with Ferrothorn if it carries hazards to get them up as soon as possible unless your opponent's lead will likely be something that threatens Ferrothorn such as Heatran.
- Use Synthesis when your health starts falling low, but rely on mostly Leftovers and Leech Seed if you have them to recover health. The less time you spend recovering health, the more time you can be throwing out status, hazards, or damaging moves.
- Try to switch into weaker physical attacks such as Extreme Speed and punish the attackers with chip damage.

Team Options
========
- Clefable compliments Ferrothorn well. They have typings that work very well together and can form a solid defensive backbone. Clefable takes on Fighting-type pokemon and Mega Sableye which give Ferrothron trouble and can heal it of status while Ferrothorn protects Clefable from Steel and Poison-types.
- A bulky Water-type such as Quagsire or Slowking can help against Fire-type pokemon such as Heatran that Ferrothorn cannot effectively wall. In return Ferrothorn can absorb Spore and handle Grass-type pokemon.
- Offensive Heatran is able to beat most of the pokemon that give Ferrothorn trouble. Heatran can also take out the some of the walls that Ferrothorn has trouble wearing down. Such as Tangrowth and Clefable.
- Frail sweepers such as Darkrai and Aerodactyl can rely on Ferrothorn to take hits for them and use Ferrothorn's hazards to soften up checks.
- Mega Latias can soak up most of the Fire and Fighting attacks that give Ferrothorn trouble

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Shed Shell can be chosen as an item if Magnezone is becoming a problem and you cannot play around it. Spiky Shield could be used instead of King's Shield for the extra damage and ability to block status but is worse in most cases because it cannot get Ferrothorn out of bad situations the way King's Shield can and does not discourage contact moves the same way.

- Shed Shell is an option if Magnezone trapping Ferrothorn is a common problem.
- Spiky Shield could be used over King's Shield for extra damage and ability to block status but it does not force the opponent to play around Ferrothorn as much and makes it much more vunerable to physically based attackers with contact moves such as Mega Heracross.
- Thunder Wave can be used over Spore but it weakens Gyro Ball and is overall not as effective in crippling opposing pokemon.
- Knock Off can be used as additional team support by removing key items such as Eviolite and Choice Scarf that allow teammates to have a much easier time sweeping.

Checks and Counters
===================
*Mega Sableye**: Magic Bounce shuts down status and hazards and easily tanks any attack Ferrothorn has. Retaliates with Will-O-Wisp or can set up Calm Mind. Ferrothorn cannot even
**Fire-types**: Fire-type pokemon such as Mega Charizard and Heatran are not afraid of any attacks Ferrothorn can make and force it out with there super effective STAB attacks. However, most have to be wary of switching into status moves such as Leech Seed and Spore and hate taking Stealth Rock damage when they switch in.
**Bulky Grass-types** Grass-type pokemon such as Mega Venusaur and Tangrowth can absorb Spore and Leech Seed while shrugging off Ferrothorn's attacks. Additionally, some carry moves such as Hidden Power Fire and Focus Blast that can threaten Ferrothorn.
**Magnezone**: Magnezone is able to prevent Ferrothorn from switching with Magnet Pull and then either OHKO it or 2HKO it with HP Fire depending on whether it is Choice Specs or Choice Scarf.
**Thundurus-Incarnate**: Is not 2HKOed by Ferrothorn's offensive moves and can shut it down with Taunt or set up with Nasty Plot while staying healthy via Oblivion Wing. Even without Nasty Plot it can still easily break Ferrothorn with Focus Blast.
**Substitute/Taunt+Setup** Setup pokemon such as Aegislash that resist Ferrothorn's attacks and can neutralize its status moves with either Taunt or Substitute are able to take advantage of Ferrothorn.

Last edited:

Hey, insanelegend, here's a QC check for you!

Overview

There aren't any negatives in here o_o?? Glaring weakness to common Fire-type moves, prone to being overwhelmed, major cramping of its sets. It has a ton of perks, yes, but it's not without its flaws and the Overview should reflect that. The entire Overview also needs to be a lot more beefy, in my opinion. The comments right now are very, very general.​

Defensive

The slashes are messy. I'd Aromatherapy removed entirely, and mentioned just in Moves. Kinda thinking King's Shield should move to Moves as well, but I'm not fairly sure yet.​

Set Comments

Moves: Yeah, this looks good.

Set Details: 52 SpD, I assume? Yeah, I'll think that.

Usage Tips: Expand this more, be more specific. Help the user really know when to use Ferrothorn and how. When do I set entry hazards? When do I have room to use Synthesis? What powerful hits should I avoid? Stuff like that.

Team Options: Good, good. Mention more Pokemon to take on Fighting- and Fire-type Pokemon and attacks though!​

Utility

Again, the slashes are messy. I'd say that Stealth Rock | Gyro Ball / Power Whip | Leech Seed / Spore | King's Shield / Spore. Put Spikes after Stealth Rock mentions in Moves, and I'll explain why in Moves. Thunder Wave should be put down as well. Eh, maybe the sets could merge. The EV spreads are the same, I don't see what they're really doing differently. Consider merging them.​

Set Comments

Moves: Spikes should be mentioned after Stealth Rock, as having both seems messy. They both work, but Stealth Rock is all around more useful. I don't think Thunder Wave deserves a mention alongside Spore because Spore's utility is very useful, and running Thunder Wave means no Gyro Ball but Spore doesn't mean you can't run either. It's a tiny thing, but it's still something that can clean up the slashes.​

Set Details: Copy / pasting from the above feels lazy. I think it should be different.

Usage Tips: Good, good. Maybe more expansion as above.

Team Options: Looks fine. Mega Latias is a good partner, I know you yourself has used this.​

Strategy Comments

Other Options: Remove Shift Gear, don't let readers think that it's good on Ferrothorn. Mention Knock Off.

Checks & Counters: Could you condense it somehow? I'm not sure, you can try and work that out. Also, no spaces in between ** and the Pokemon.​

Implement this and consider your analysis...

QC 1/3

Thank you for your QC unfixable . I took your advice and combined the set as the only real difference was that one carried hazards and the other recovery. There aren't really two sets, just a lot of options. I cleaned up the lesser options from the sets and put them in moves. I added a few more usage tips to that section and Mega Latias to the team options (I was considering this before your QC but had decided not to add it in). I added more to the overview that I had forgotten to do earlier and you reminded me of. Overall just cleaned it up a little, expanded on some things, added things in that I was missing, and combined the sets. Bumping this for a second QC

EV

Banned deucer.
Overview
  • I'd like to see the resistances/weaknesses mentioned with the bullet about its high bulk. "High Defense and Special Defense along with 9 resistances, 1 immunity, and only 2 weaknesses allow it to tank a lot of hits."
  • Tell is how it's taunt bait from the metagame's best stallbreaker because both STABs are NVE against it.
  • Give me a good/bad/good sandwich with the overview and end on a high note. "Besides these flaws, it's still ..."
Set
  • Spore should not be slashed twice like that. Put Leech Seed or King's Shield ahead of it on one of those lines. Preferably Leech Seed.
  • Rocky Helmet is viable enough to be slashed with Leftovers.
Moves
  • You have Stealth Rock listed twice. (2nd and 5th bullets.)
Set Details
  • "This can be changed to nature and 31 Speed IVs if not running Gyro Ball." What nature?
Usage Tips
  • Bullets 2 and 4 are redundant. Combine.
  • Mention how it punishes physical attackers by switching into their contact moves on resisted or neutral hits.
Team Options
  • Why do Clefable and Ferrothorn form a good defensive backbone? Be more specific about their defensive coverage.
  • Regarding Heatran, what walls can it take down for Ferrothorn?
  • "Frail sweepers such as can rely on Ferrothorn to take hits for them and use Ferrothorn's hazars to soften up checks." Such as ____?
  • What about Magic Bouncers coming in to reflect hazards and status? What can deal with those?
OO
  • Remove the bullet about Rocky Helmet because it's getting more mention under Set Details. Rocky Helmet's extra chip damage is too good to downplay because of the metagame's physical nature.
  • You could mention how Spiky Shield covers Ferrothorn from status, which King's Shield does not.
Cs & Cs
  • You could add that Charizard hates taking SR and Heatran hates Leech Seed as well.
  • Add bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth and other Ferrothorn because they absorb Spore and Leech Seed. Tangrowth can threaten with HP Fire, tho it's rare. These situations usually end in a stalemate, so it's up to you on how you want to describe them.
  • What about general Substitute or Taunt+Setup sweepers? Subs/Taunt block status and Leech Seed and if they resist Gyro Ball or Power Whip (Togekiss shrugs off Power Whip, Mega Gyarados shrugs off Gyro Ball, Aegislash cares about neither) they use Ferrothorn as setup bait.

QC 2 of 3 approved.

Last edited:
Thank you for your QC Eevee General . I reworked the overview, added Rocky Helmet to the set, fixed numerous mistakes, added some to C&C, and expanded on team options. I did not add anything in Team Options specifically for Magic Bouncers because out of the 4 viable users of Magic Bounce (Mega Absol, Espeon, Mega Sableye, and Mega Diancie), Ferrothorn can heavily damage all of them except for Mega Sableye with its STABs and Clefable was suggested as a teammate to beat Mega Sableye. Bumping for the final QC. Needs paragraph form

Last edited:
Reactions: EV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)