Splatoon

Guess what I got for Christmas.

I haven't played the game yet, but should I just jump right into the multiplayer or try out the singleplayer campaign to get used to the controls?
I played single player first and felt that it helped me drastically. I hadn't played multiplayer for weeks while playing the campaign and worked my way quickly to B- once I started(almost in one night). So I say yes play atleast a little bit of the campaign first.

I haven't played the game yet, but should I just jump right into the multiplayer or try out the singleplayer campaign to get used to the controls?
Either is an equally good option. I personally went straight into turf war (online casual mode) the second I got the game. You may want to just get the single player campaign out of the way and collect the scrolls to unlock all the exclusive weapons from that mode however.

Splattershot Jr. is probably the most beginner-friendly weapon in the game. Nice fire rate for turf war (the online mode you'll be forced to play until you reach lvl 10), and has arguably one of the best specials in the game

Last edited:
should i bother with the carbon roller deco or is carbon roller just fine?
Standard Carbon Roller's Kit is definitely better than Deco. Both its sub and special weapons are fast and long ranged that make up for the Carbon roller's lack of range. Deco is nice aswell for Ninja Squid shenanigans where you follow the seekers you send out and go undetected, although it's really predictable imo

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Carbon Roller Deco kinda sucks in my opinion. I feel that the fact that basically every map has slopes and walls that block the path of the Seekers really makes it unviable, except in certain scenarios (example: Port Mackerel is almost entirely flat ground so it could be usable there). I've never been a big fan of the standard nor the deco, but if I were to pick one, the regular Carbon Roller is superior, especially with the sub/special giving it extra range.

Single player is a good way to get used to the controls and all that. You also unlock bonus weapons blue prints after boss fights, that you can buy/use when you get to a high enough level.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Played 2 of the story missions.

Controls are kind of weird. I can aim, but not extremely quickly due to having to adjust to the motion controls of the pad. I'll probably get used to them eventually, but I'm not ready for competitive multiplayer yet.

Played 2 of the story missions.

Controls are kind of weird. I can aim, but not extremely quickly due to having to adjust to the motion controls of the pad. I'll probably get used to them eventually, but I'm not ready for competitive multiplayer yet.
You can disable motion controls in the main plaza and just use traditional controls for aiming.

Karxrida

HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS GREAT.

I just did my first Turf War and got MVP with a KDT of 5-3 despite being the only level 1 with the basic gear (one of the guys was a level 7). I actually killed a roller just as they spawned to add insult to injury.

Fucking awesome game.

reg. carbon is what i use when i'm dabbling with rollers. there's a technique where you can cancel the animation of the burst bomb and instantly flick your ink to get quick kills outside of your small-ish sweetspot, which is basically sliding your finger from R to ZR in quick succession. it only took me a few times to master it and there should be a video of it on youtube :) ! also damage up is good on this roller :) !!

although, if mahi mahi is in rotation, you could definitely make a case for deco. the area is so flat that seekers can basically snipe people from across the stage (ps: i don't think highly of mahi mahi)

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
splatterscope is new fave. went on a very long winning spree in splat zones and had the time of my life sniping people :toast:

Karxrida

I hate that weapon. I like the mobility granted by quick inking and I can't aim for crap with it anyway.

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it took me a while to get used to it. you just need to position yourself in places with good views of the field & move around occasionally.
it's also really difficult to use in tight spaces. but I also enjoy "quick inking" which is why my second favorite is probably the splash o matic :]

I hate that weapon. I like the mobility granted by quick inking and I can't aim for crap with it anyway.
Yeah, Charger Weapons do take alot of practice to get decent with. You should try turning your Camera Sensitivity down if you're having trouble with aiming. I'm somewhat of an E-Liter main and tend to set mine to about -3 for more precision

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
Honestly, I never even touched the sensitivity setting. I adjusted more to whatever the default is rather than setting it to my preference. Charger weapons have a generally different playstyle from a Gal, Splattershot, or Roller but are an extremely valuable asset to a successful team. I'm a big fan of the Splatterscope as well as the Kelp Splatterscope, but I've also been trying to pick up the New Squiffer. It's a lot of fun actually and I really don't feel too limited by its range, but is it any better than the Classic? I just prefer it since I like the Ink Mine/Inkzooka combo but I rarely see Squiffers at all, let alone New variations.

Karxrida

Is matchmaking outside of Ranked supposed to suck? I keep fighting level 30s or higher and I haven't even broken 7 yet.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is matchmaking outside of Ranked supposed to suck? I keep fighting level 30s or higher and I haven't even broken 7 yet.
the levels don't mean much in terms of matchmaking. i've seen level 50s flail around and get bopped by single-digit level players which are most likely experienced players on an alt. if it helps matters, please note when i started playing on an alt, i started getting matched with level 40s and 50s as soon as i hit level 3. all the matchmaking does is try to pair you up with players who play like you. it does suck though at times though.

also, about chargers, they really aren't for everyone thanks to their extremely high skill curve. shameless plug, but my post should be a decent starting point for anyone who wants to learn how to charger.

Honestly, I never even touched the sensitivity setting. I adjusted more to whatever the default is rather than setting it to my preference. Charger weapons have a generally different playstyle from a Gal, Splattershot, or Roller but are an extremely valuable asset to a successful team. I'm a big fan of the Splatterscope as well as the Kelp Splatterscope, but I've also been trying to pick up the New Squiffer. It's a lot of fun actually and I really don't feel too limited by its range, but is it any better than the Classic? I just prefer it since I like the Ink Mine/Inkzooka combo but I rarely see Squiffers at all, let alone New variations.
I really can't see New Squiffer's Kit being better than its classic counterpart. Classic's sub is way better than ink mines which are widely regarded the worst in the game. New Squiffer does have InkZooka which is obviously amazing but I prefer Classic's Bubbler as it rounds out the support role with point sensor that squiffer is more suited to perform.

Matchmaking is atrocious in this game. Wait until you get to ranked mode only to have the game pair you with unbalanced teams in both skill and weapon types. I've had many matches where the game would pair me with 3 other chargers as an E-Liter main -_-

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so yeah i picked up a wii u bundle with this for xmas and was loving it at first as the hero mode was really fun, now I've been dabbling in online and kinda hate it all of a sudden. I found that most everyone just spams rollers or sloshers but I didn't want to be one of 'those guys' but ended up caving as I figured it would net me points faster and therefor help me level up until I can buy actual good weapons. the krack-on roller is pretty fun to use but I can't do shit to good shooters, I prefer shooting myself but am really struggling to aim lol, and I find all the guns' range sucks but chargers are boring and don't get a lot of points / paint over the map. I played a few games against someone with an ink brush who was going on a tear with it (and it looks cool af when they swim up to people and jump out to ninja the shit outta them with it) but tried it myself and hated it. I just reached level 10 now so I can do ranked but I'm kinda put off trying it coz of how bad I'm doing in regular without a roller.

tl;dr can someone tell me which gun I should get / aim for which will get plenty of paint all over the place and not leave me defenceless against good players? k thanks

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
so yeah i picked up a wii u bundle with this for xmas and was loving it at first as the hero mode was really fun, now I've been dabbling in online and kinda hate it all of a sudden. I found that most everyone just spams rollers or sloshers but I didn't want to be one of 'those guys' but ended up caving as I figured it would net me points faster and therefor help me level up until I can buy actual good weapons. the krack-on roller is pretty fun to use but I can't do shit to good shooters, I prefer shooting myself but am really struggling to aim lol, and I find all the guns' range sucks but chargers are boring and don't get a lot of points / paint over the map. I played a few games against someone with an ink brush who was going on a tear with it (and it looks cool af when they swim up to people and jump out to ninja the shit outta them with it) but tried it myself and hated it. I just reached level 10 now so I can do ranked but I'm kinda put off trying it coz of how bad I'm doing in regular without a roller.

tl;dr can someone tell me which gun I should get / aim for which will get plenty of paint all over the place and not leave me defenceless against good players? k thanks
It's been a long time since I've been a noob player, so I'll make it simple. Rollers are the easiest way to go since they paint fast and get lots of points and kill people when you roll over them. Here's what most new players don't realize: swinging the roller is actually really effective for killing, and by really effective I mean less predictable. If you encounter an enemy, do not try to roll over them but rather stop rolling and start swinging. My apologies of you already realized this, but I'm always surprised by how many people don't and just keep rolling around.

Since you're still low leveled, you probably don't have much access to the better weapons, but when you do, I'd recommend to you the Dual Squelcher. It has an excellent range and rate of fire and beats out most other shooters with inferior range (although it does require some accuracy so make sure you've got that down first).

As for Chargers and Inkbrushes, Chargers are definitely hard to master, especially in Turf War where they really don't earn points that easily (but can still earn plenty if you're good enough). However, I wouldn't base your weapon choice entirely off of how many points it can earn in a Turf War. Learning a charger weapon early on will be extremely valuable if you ever try to pursue higher ranks in Ranked Battles. And for the Inkbrush, which is one of my favorite weapons, I can easily break 1000 points a match with it, but it obviously requires a lot of practice and experimenting with movement/positioning/etc.

Most people, especially those without prior shooter experience (myself included), have difficulty aiming more technical weapons like chargers and the .52/.96 Gal which is why the Rollers are always so popular. However, I would also recommend the rapid-firing, short-ranged shooters. Generally if you just stand near your opponent and shoot, the ink spreads widely in a matter that makes it difficult to miss and they are also well equipped to earn a lot of points. The weapons that fall into this category would be the Splattershot Jr. (your starting weapon), the Aerosprays, and the N-Zaps.

Lastly, it's totally fine to gravitate towards the weapons other people use. The crowd actually has an okay idea as to what weapons are good and easy to use, but of course it doesn't hurt to be different. Best of luck to you!

N-Zap 89 or Aerospray RG are the best shooter weapons for spreading ink. Although I recommend trying to obtain the Dynamo Roller as you seem to do better with rollers. Standard Dynamo Roller is ridiculously efficient at spreading ink with its flick motion and with the sprinkler sub weapon it has in its kit. Aerospray/Dynamo can only be obtained via single player campaign and N-Zap 89 is unlocked once you reach lvl 8 (Which you've past already, should be inn shop).

For just gaining as many points to buy other guns, I'd say use the Aerospray RG, which you get the blueprint for after the world 3 boss if I remember right. It kind of has a wide spread and low damage so you'll often lose the 1v1 against other players unless you get the beat on them first, but you spread ink like crazy in turf wars.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I just finished the Hero Mode, hot damn that last boss was actually pretty tricky! It took me like 4-5 tries, what got me was the last stage, I got used to there being barriers all over the level so I couldn't run off the stage, then I kept suiciding, lol.

It's been a long time since I've been a noob player, so I'll make it simple. Rollers are the easiest way to go since they paint fast and get lots of points and kill people when you roll over them. Here's what most new players don't realize: swinging the roller is actually really effective for killing, and by really effective I mean less predictable. If you encounter an enemy, do not try to roll over them but rather stop rolling and start swinging. My apologies of you already realized this, but I'm always surprised by how many people don't and just keep rolling around.

Since you're still low leveled, you probably don't have much access to the better weapons, but when you do, I'd recommend to you the Dual Squelcher. It has an excellent range and rate of fire and beats out most other shooters with inferior range (although it does require some accuracy so make sure you've got that down first).

As for Chargers and Inkbrushes, Chargers are definitely hard to master, especially in Turf War where they really don't earn points that easily (but can still earn plenty if you're good enough). However, I wouldn't base your weapon choice entirely off of how many points it can earn in a Turf War. Learning a charger weapon early on will be extremely valuable if you ever try to pursue higher ranks in Ranked Battles. And for the Inkbrush, which is one of my favorite weapons, I can easily break 1000 points a match with it, but it obviously requires a lot of practice and experimenting with movement/positioning/etc.

Most people, especially those without prior shooter experience (myself included), have difficulty aiming more technical weapons like chargers and the .52/.96 Gal which is why the Rollers are always so popular. However, I would also recommend the rapid-firing, short-ranged shooters. Generally if you just stand near your opponent and shoot, the ink spreads widely in a matter that makes it difficult to miss and they are also well equipped to earn a lot of points. The weapons that fall into this category would be the Splattershot Jr. (your starting weapon), the Aerosprays, and the N-Zaps.

Lastly, it's totally fine to gravitate towards the weapons other people use. The crowd actually has an okay idea as to what weapons are good and easy to use, but of course it doesn't hurt to be different. Best of luck to you!
N-Zap 89 or Aerospray RG are the best shooter weapons for spreading ink. Although I recommend trying to obtain the Dynamo Roller as you seem to do better with rollers. Standard Dynamo Roller is ridiculously efficient at spreading ink with its flick motion and with the sprinkler sub weapon it has in its kit. Aerospray/Dynamo can only be obtained via single player campaign and N-Zap 89 is unlocked once you reach lvl 8 (Which you've past already, should be inn shop).
For just gaining as many points to buy other guns, I'd say use the Aerospray RG, which you get the blueprint for after the world 3 boss if I remember right. It kind of has a wide spread and low damage so you'll often lose the 1v1 against other players unless you get the beat on them first, but you spread ink like crazy in turf wars.
Thanks for all the advice guys, I ended up getting an Aerospray and it works a treat! I'm consistently getting like 1200 points even when I lose :) still need to work on my aim coz I can't defend myself for shit.. I don't play with the motion controls on coz I find them really weird, but I've heard they're better when you get used to them?

Well I just finished the Hero Mode, hot damn that last boss was actually pretty tricky! It took me like 4-5 tries, what got me was the last stage, I got used to there being barriers all over the level so I couldn't run off the stage, then I kept suiciding, lol.
Yeah I had lots of issues with it when I played, the girl inkling amiibo challenges where you have to beat him is pretty tough as well. Hopefully you were able to find the scroll with the blue prints for the dynamos the first time, I had to go back and beat him a second time because I missed it.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I ended up getting an Aerospray and it works a treat! I'm consistently getting like 1200 points even when I lose :) still need to work on my aim coz I can't defend myself for shit.. I don't play with the motion controls on coz I find them really weird, but I've heard they're better when you get used to them?
I personally play with mine off on my main account but I've made a new one and playing through the story mode with the motion controls on, maybe that will help with getting used to them. To be honest with the Aerospray you really don't want to get into too many skirmishes anyway, as I said before, the damage and the accuracy are pretty low.

Ive played FPS with sticks for years but couldnt get used to it with Splatoon. I think the motion controls are much better and let you move around a lot more smoothly. Even if you're used to nonmotion because of other games, i think its worth it to get used to motion.

But i guess its mostly up to preference. There are still great players who just use sticks. The majority of players use motion though and i think thats for good reason.

With gals I've been trying a defense up set with the equivalent of 3 mains, and I've really been enjoying it so far. What does everyone else think of defense up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)