SM PU Spirit

Introduction

Hey, this is my first PU RMT and I wanted to showcase a team I've had a lot of recent success with both on the ladder and in tournaments. With this team I managed to go 29-2 on the Hariyama suspect test ladder and I also used it to win matches in PUPL and other forum tours.

The Team

Absol @

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch

The team started with me wanting to build around Absol which is a cool and pretty underrated breaker at the moment in the PU metagame. Absol's role is to break down Defensive cores with its really powerful Knock Offs and pick off weakened threats with Sucker Punch. Swords Dance lets it set up against more passive Pokemon such as Audino and destroy most Stall builds whilst managing to set it up against Offense means it can turn into a devastating sweeper that is really hard to stop.

Hitmonchan @

Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Drain Punch

Hitmonchan is a really nice Specially Defensive blanket check to a lot of Pokemon in the tier including Pyroar, Magmortar and Abomasnow. Rapid Spin is the main reason I wanted Hitmonchan as it's probably the best spinner the tier has to offer at the moment and also the extra priority in Mach Punch can be really handy in some situations such as against weakened Jynx and Carracosta's. The EV's on this set allow Hitmonchan to outspeed Timid Abomasnow and other base 60's with plus Speed natures.

Qwilfish @

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

This Pokemon is a staple on most Offensive Spike stack teams because it is able to get up its hazards very reliably with its good baste 85 Speed and keep them up with the use of Taunt. Qwilfish provides a good switch in to a lot of the Fighting types in the tier such as Hitmonchan and Gurdurr which makes it a really nice partner for Absol. Max Speed with a Jolly nature allows it to outrun all versions of Skuntank and prevent it from Defogging with Taunt whilst also outrunning Magmortar and hitting it with Waterfall.

Oricorio-Sensu @

Ability: Dancer
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Revelation Dance

Substitute Calm Mind Oricorio-G is a cool set I started running on a lot of my teams because it was great for baiting in Skuntank and OHKO'ing it with Z-Hurricane. Substitute allows it to play mind games with Sucker Punch users and Calm Mind allows it to set-up on Pokemon such as Scald Qwilfish which can't break the Substitute at +1 SpD. Oricorio fills a nice role in this team as a good check to Primeape, preventing it from running over the team with Close Combat and Earthquake but also it serves as a good Lilligant check too because it can copy Quiver Dance boosts from it and Lilligant can't hit it very hard with its attacks.

Golem @

Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Despite not being the great Stealth Rocker it was in ORAS PU, Golem is still able to do its job well in SM PU as its STAB coverage allows it to threaten a lot of opposing rockers and hazard removers. Whilst generally used as a lead, Golem can also be kept for mid to late game and serve as a solid Physical attacker or a check to set-up sweepers with its Sturdy ability. Weakness Policy allows it to occasionally grab a +2 boost making it into a dangerous wallbreaker. Sucker Punch is nice for picking off Pokemon faster than Golem and can also hit surprisingly hard with the +2 Attack boost from Weakness Policy.

Abomasnow @

Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake
- Energy Ball

Abomasnow is an interesting choice for a Scarf user but it functions really well in this team as it works well against playstyles like Sun and Rain which usually beat Offense hard. Choice Scarf allows Abomasnow to hit 360 Speed so it can outspeed threats such as Archeops and Alolan Raichu and act as a decent win condition. Blizzard is Abomasnow's primary STAB move that still hits hard even without Life Orb, Energy Ball is the other STAB move that hits Water types like Gastrodon and Lanturn. Focus Blast is good coverage against Steel and Ice-Types. Earthquake is there to hit Fire-Types like Magmortar and also catch things like Togedemaru.

Threatlist

Swanna has STAB coverage for all of my Pokemon and can come in decently well on Hitmonchan and Qwilfish. The best ways to deal with it is to put it in range of Scarf Abomasnow (Blizzard does 70-83 so not too hard), catch it with Absol's Sucker Punch which KO's after Stealth Rock or keep Golem's Sturdy intact and click Rock Blast.

Similar reasons to Swanna except this one is harder to revenge kill. Luckly Oricorio can outspeed and KO with Supersonic Skystrike after Stealth Rock so keeping up Stealth Rock and offensive pressure is vital when playing against Articuno.

Choice Specs Mesprit is able to come in on Qwilfish or Hitmonchan and click Psychic or Ice Beam to grab a KO most of the time. Whilst not as common, offensive Colbur Mesprit a threat to this team too as the Colbur berry allows it to take hits from Absol decently well and reply with its coverage or U-turn out.

Jynx has coverage for all my Pokemon, the only good way to deal with it is through one of my Sucker Punch users or putting it in range of Mach Punch.

Shoutouts

First of all, I'd like shoutout the whole PU community for keeping up spirit even though we didn't get chosen as a 'core' metagame, we'll prove we're good enough one day.

Importable & Replays

http://pokepast.es/c4f936d6e10bfcfe

Absol @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Drain Punch

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Revelation Dance

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake
- Energy Ball

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-643166364
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-649501568
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-650434256

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)