Big SPADES TOURNAMENT

Should teams be allowed? What should the format of the tournament be?

• Yes, teams should be allowed.

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • No, teams should not be allowed.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Group Stage --> Single/Double Elim playoffs

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Swiss

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Hello friends I am here to host the inaugural s p a d e s tournament. Spades is a fun card game and even if you don't know how to play I encourage you to sign up and learn how! I learned how to play spades in college and I met some cool people that way so think of this as learning some skills that you can even use in real life! Wow!!!

Here are the rules in case you don't know how to play but want to learn (which I highly encourage): http://www.bicyclecards.com/how-to-play/spades/

We will be using playok to play online: https://www.playok.com/en/spades/

Rules: Play your games in a timely manner.
Be a good sport.
Don't abuse the system.
I reserve the rights to change the rules or act in an executive manner if I deem it appropriate for the sake of the tournament.

Since this is the first tournament and I don't really know how many people are playing, there's a couple questions I have in mind for everyone. First off, should teams be allowed? I think teams should be ok, but it has been expressed that this might be unfair. Please vote on your preferred option.

Depending on the answer to the above, you can sign up as a team (for now) or a single. If you are a single, you need to find a partner to team up with. I will pair people at random at the end of signups if you do not have a team.

Also, format of the tournament. I think Swiss might be best here, but my college for intramural spades does a group stage system (think World Cup) and then a single elimination knockout playoff. Please vote on your preferred format.

any ?s hmu

Signups:
Jalmont FA
Team Walrein + Da Letter El
zorbees FA
Texas Cloverleaf FA
Team Yeti + Sam
Team Shubaka + ???
Old_Gregg FA
Team LightWolf + billymills

Last edited:

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Can I request 2/3 games per match regardless of format and double elimination (since it is collapsed with single elimination)? Also what time controls are we using? 10 minutes, or shorter?

Can I request 2/3 games per match regardless of format and double elimination (since it is collapsed with single elimination)? Also what time controls are we using? 10 minutes, or shorter?
Yes that's fine.

Max time controls. There really shouldn't be a time limit but unfortunately it can't be helped.
I'd like to see round robin with sets of 3 for up to ~6 teams. Something like 2/3 Swiss or double elimination if you manage more.
Yeah that sounds good. IDK I think if we have 6 teams then something like a bo1/3 round robin and then top 2 teams get a bye for double elim bo3 playoffs would be good.

^ ugh maybe not

"a couple hours" later - here is the schedule

Old_Gregg + shubaka17 vs. LightWolf + billymills
Yeti + UncleSam vs. zorbees + Texas Cloverleaf
bye: Walrein + Da Letter El

deadline 1 week

LightWolf + billymills vs. Yeti + Sam
zorbees + Texas Cloverleaf vs. Walrein + DLE
bye: Old_Gregg + shubaka

deadline 2 week

zorbees + Texas vs. LightWolf + billymills
Walrein + Da Letter El vs. shubaka + Old_Gregg
bye: Yeti + Sam

deadline TBA

Yeti + UncleSam vs. shubaka + Old_Gregg
billy + LightWolf vs. Walrein + DLE
bye: Texas + zorbees

deadline TBA

Yeti + UncleSam vs. Walrein + DLE
shubaka + Old_Gregg vs. Texas + zorbees
bye: LightWolf + billy

deadline TBA

Subs: me

questions or problems hit me up. schedule looks aight but if i fucked it up let me know. i don't particularly care what order you play your games in, but i would like to have one game done per week, if not more. I will sub if necessary if someone drops out or is being an idler (but hopefully we shouldn't have any problems).

depending on how activity goes i was thinking we could have a double elim playoffs where:
Winner's Bracket: 1 vs. winner of 2 vs. 3
Loser's Bracket: 4 vs. 5

or something like that. let me know what everyone's thoughts is/what u guys want to do.

Last edited:
UncleSam has proposed to finish up the round robin stage in the next 2 weeks. This seems acceptable to me, so assuming there are no objections, the deadlines will be changed to reflect this.

Sam also proposed a playoff system where 5 plays 4, winner plays 3, winner of that plays 2, etc. I'm ok with either his proposal or mine, so please state which format you like better either in this thread or privately to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)