Resource SM RU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Is Machamp any good in this meta? I like the Mon and on paper it seems solid, although Heracross gives it stiff competition. What would be a good set?

Raidx

Banned deucer.
How would Torterra do in the current meta? Like in RU alpha RP Torterra was a nice cleaner late game and even mid game just a solid wallbreaker beating common mons like Alo, Cune, Diancie and punching holes in pretty much everything else. I havent been playing much RU lately so I been wondering how do you guys think Torterra would fare? I would imagine the same RP 3 attacks set would be just as effective, any thoughts?

Is Machamp any good in this meta? I like the Mon and on paper it seems solid, although Heracross gives it stiff competition. What would be a good set?
Machamp has a really hard time justifying itself over Hera or Pangoro. Its advantages are its diverse movepool and No Guard DynamicPunch, due to its low speed I would suggest maybe a bulky Vest set with DPunch/Knock Off/Stone Edge/Bullet Punch. You could also run Band but IMO Pangoro's just better at that. I could imagine a RestTalk Bulk Up set but that's probably inferior to CurseLax

Machamp has a really hard time justifying itself over Hera or Pangoro. Its advantages are its diverse movepool and No Guard DynamicPunch, due to its low speed I would suggest maybe a bulky Vest set with DPunch/Knock Off/Stone Edge/Bullet Punch. You could also run Band but IMO Pangoro's just better at that. I could imagine a RestTalk Bulk Up set but that's probably inferior to CurseLax
Machamp gets No Guard Stone Edge to defend against Flying-types, and also makes a better bulky attacker than Hera (also it has better defenses than Pangoro).
But the closest thing to Machamp I've ever used was Eviolite Machoke back in ORAS NU.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Worth remembering that Confusion was also nerfed, which hit Machamp pretty hard.

Also it needs Heavy Slam for Assault Vest to break down the kinds of teams it wants to break down (I'd also go Ice Punch > Stone Edge). I would say Guts is probably the better ability, but then it doesn't do very much that Hariyama couldn't do, but Hariyama isn't any good (and AV hariyama was almost always thick fat last gen)

Machamp gets No Guard Stone Edge to defend against Flying-types, and also makes a better bulky attacker than Hera (also it has better defenses than Pangoro).
But the closest thing to Machamp I've ever used was Eviolite Machoke back in ORAS NU.
But what does No Guard Stone Edge hit that's so important to hit? Moltres isn't exactly used a whole lot, and missing coverage for Gligar seems much worse than gaining coverage on a rare mon.

From experience, Heracross and Pangoro are just overall more reliable wallbreakers, and AV Machamp just doesn't quite fit the meta, with relatively few special attackers being stopped by it that's to the power increase, and band is just outclassed.

I feel that many teams that might get use out of AV Machamp, it's most unique and arguably viable set, would get more use out of something like Specs Kommo-O.

But what does No Guard Stone Edge hit that's so important to hit? Moltres isn't exactly used a whole lot, and missing coverage for Gligar seems much worse than gaining coverage on a rare mon.
it hits swellow and dodrio, which last i heard were used a lot (although it couldn't live a hit from a dodrio), and also hits rotom-heat which can be a big problem.
but running ice punch could be a better option, because gligar.

I feel that many teams that might get use out of AV Machamp, it's most unique and arguably viable set, would get more use out of something like Specs Kommo-O.
wait, kommo-o is unbanned?

All 3 get hit almost as hard by Close Combat (120×1.5) compared to Stone Edge (100x2)
running close combat on a machamp never occurred to me.
like i said, i never used machamp.

if you want to run close combat, fine. i just find no guard abuse a lot more fun.

running close combat on a machamp never occurred to me.
like i said, i never used machamp.

if you want to run close combat, fine. i just find no guard abuse a lot more fun.
The question is whether or not No Guard D-Punch is viable enough to justify being used. The confusion nerf greatly hurts the viability of Machamp's most standout niche, while Guts offense is generally done better by Heracross due to the latter's superior Speed and access to Bug STAB. Pangoro works better as well due to STAB Knock Off and an overall better movepool. Do note that No Guard also renders Machamp vulnerable to moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, as well as powerful STAB moves like Kingdra's Hydro Pump.

Machamp just feels outclassed by the other Fighting-types the tier has to offer.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I have Diancie + Kommo-o, what threats should i watch out for with this core and what sweepers would be really good with this core

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
I have Diancie + Kommo-o, what threats should i watch out for with this core and what sweepers would be really good with this core
Hi Take Azelfie, Diancie and Kommo-o seem to go pretty well together. I'm assuming you're running defensive SR Diancie and Specs Kommo, right? Some major threats you need to watch out for are Ground-types- Flygon especially because it can deal massive damage to both pokemon, and Nidoqueen also comes easily on Diancie. Shaymin is also a big threat because it comes in on Diancie and clicks Seed Flare, and it also carries Psychic so Kommo-o usually cannot even 1v1 it. Additionally, while Diancie is bulky on the special side, it doesn't really help Kommo-o all that much at taking Psychic and Fairy-types on, since pokemon such as Specs Espeon, Gardevoir, and CM Florges pressure it a lot. Finally Doublade and other steel types are quite a threat since they easily threaten Diancie and Kommo-o if it gets locked into Clanging Scales.

One example of a sweeper that might help you out is Nasty Plot Salazzle. Salazzle can severely pressure the fairy types that hurt your core, as well as steel types and even hard switch into Shaymin in a desperate situation. It usually runs NP, Fire Blast, Sludge Wave, and a Hidden Power with Poisinium Z or Firium Z. I would suggest running HP Ice here so as not to give Flygon a free setup opportunity. If you are running Salazzle, be sure to pack some solid ground resists/immunities, such as Mantine or a grass type.

Another sweeper that could be useful if you are trying to build a slower, more balanced team, is Snorlax. Snorlax easily switches into most of the Psychic and Fairy types that threaten the core, as well as Nidoqueen, and can set up on these pokemon. Diancie in return helps Snorlax by taking Knock Off, and providing Heal Bell support if you are running that. This makes your team weak to Doublade and Heracross, so make sure to pack answers to that such as Gligar. Kommo-o can also pressure Doublade heavily with Clanging Scales and in some cases even lure it for Snorlax.

Zoroark is another pokemon that could be run here. While it may make your team weaker against fairies, it can oustpeed a lot of the stuff that annoys your core such as Shaymin and Nidoqueen and threaten it with powerful Knock Offs. It can trap Specs Espeon and Gardevoir locked into Psychic with Pursuit, and Pursuit can also help it lure and trap Doublade and Reuniclus. Special Zoroark with Sludge Bomb can also be run, and this can give you a fantastic lure to some of the fairy types and help Kommo-o spam its dragon STAB.

Overall, you can really go any direction you want with these two pokemon. While they do share some synergy, they don't really share a whole lot of similar checks and counters, or cover a large portion of the offensive metgame. The RU metagame is a fun place for experimenting with a lot of different teambuilding styles, and lots of strategies are viable so don't feel constrained into any particular mons.

hope that helped!

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to use the following pokemon ?
Vikavolt
Golisopod
Drampa
Crabominable

How do they fair off ?
Vikavolt - meh. For the most part, you're better off using either Rotom-C or Rotom-H, who offer better Speed and arguably better typing. Vikavolt does have more raw power, although it's let down by its low Speed.

Golisopod - Decent, but nothing spectacular. Hits hard, has good typing and good overall bulk, although it could do with being faster. Emergency Exit's not a great ability. It's best set IMO is an all out attacker set using First Impression, Liquidation, Aqua Jet, and either Leech Life or Sucker Punch, using either Insect Plate or Sitrus Berry as the item. Viable, but I think you're better off with Heracross and Durant.

Drampa - Good wallbreaker, although it's extremely slow and not that bulky. Huge special attack with a massive movepool lets you do a lot of damage. Said movepool lets it break through Assault Vest Escavalier, Bronzong and Diancie, Pokémon Dragalge struggles with. Right now I'd say its best set was Choice Specs with Draco Meteor, Hyper Voice, Fire Blast and Surf (strong STAB, reliable STAB, coverage on Steel types and coverage on Diancie, respectively). You could also use Life Orb instead and drop Surf for Roost if you'd prefer sustainability and the freedom to switch moves.

Crabominable - It sucks. It's extremely slow, not that bulky and while Drampa at least has useful resistances, Crabominable can't even boast that. Sneasel and Mega Glalie are better Ice-types; Heracross, Pangoro and Virizion are better Fighting types. There is no reason to use this thing

Last edited:

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Is there someone that is problematic for the tier? Are you waiting the usage stats for deciding an eventual ban?

Is anyone at all concerned about Slurpuff this time around? We banned it last gen, any thoughts to this gen?
I doubt it'll get banned this time around. The fact that there are so many offensive teams floating around means that it is difficult finding an opportunity to set up. It's subpar bulk and the common presence of doublade, escavalier, and bronzong doesn't help either, as many good players will keep them healthy enough to be able to even take a +6 hit from slurpuff. Yes, when it does set up, it is nearly unstoppable, but in this metagame, it's just hard to safely set up.

Is anyone at all concerned about Slurpuff this time around? We banned it last gen, any thoughts to this gen?
Hi, in a simple answer: honestly not as much as last gen.
Why? At the moment we have thé counter to bd slurpuff and that counter is also great in general, Doublade. What also helps is that this tier gives less set up opportunity's to slurpuff than oras.
BUT if you let slurpuff set up and you dont have your answer (anymore). You're screwed...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)