SM CAP Battle of the Week

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Approved by the most HeaLest of DeaLs
OP taken from this thread.

Welcome to first edition of the SM CAP Metagame Battle of the Week! Every week, you, the community, will have the opportunity to vote for and watch top CAP players battle it out for everyone to enjoy. Make it happen right here!

What is this for?

This project is a great way for newcomers to the CAP Metagame to get involved, as these people can vote for their favorite battlers and witness the best minds of our community and top strategies at work. Veterans will have an opportunity to showcase their battling skills, as well as their creativity with teambuilding. Who knows, you may see a future top threat being used in one of these battles!

How does it work?

This project consists of three parts, the Nomination Stage, the Voting Stage, and the Battle Stage. This process will be repeated weekly (roughly). Each step is detailed here:

Nomination Stage - During this stage, each member of the community will nominate up to three fellow community members that they would like to see in the battle at the end of the week. You cannot nominate yourself and it is recommended that the users you do nominate have been active within the past two weeks. This stage will last from Sunday to Tuesday, and nominations will be tallied around 12 AM PT (GMT -8) Tuesday night. The 5 people with the most nominations (including ties) will be placed on a ballot for the Voting Stage.

Voting Stage - During this stage of the process, everyone will vote for the one person they want to see in a battle the most. This stage will take place on Wednesday and Thursday, with voting ending around 12 AM PT (GMT -8) on Thursday night. At that point, the two players with the highest number of votes will be announced and the battle for that week will be set. If, however, there is a tie for second most votes, a "runoff" will happen on Friday to determine the 2nd competitor. If there is no "runoff" needed, then the time for the battle will be announced on Friday.

Battle Stage - The best stage, of course! Ideally, the battle stage will take place on Saturday, unless the players absolutely need to reschedule for a different date. On the day before (Friday), one of the competitors or I will announce the time that the battle will take place. Anyone who can make the day and time of the battle is more than welcome to join in watching the battle live. However, if you aren't able to make it, fear not! Replays of the battle will be posted here in the thread so you can watch at your own convenience. The battles will be a best of three series, which should help minimize the impact of hax, as well as allowing competitors to show off three of their best teams. The competitors are also encouraged to share their thoughts of the battles in this thread (turning points, crucial misplays, clutch predictions, etc). Once the Battle Stage is complete, the process will start again from the Nomination Stage.

What do I get out of it?
This project has something for players of all experience and skill levels. Newcomers get to witness and learn about battle strategies that experienced players talk about used in live battle situations. Experienced players get to show off their battling and teambuilding prowess. And, of course, we all get an exciting series of battles to watch (or take part in) every week!

Rules and Miscellaneous Info

• Please don't joke vote. We've had problems with this in the past, so keep in mind that your post will be deleted if it's intended as a joke or spam. Our main goal here is to help newcomers to better understand the SM CAP metagame, so it doesn't make any sense to vote for people with little experience or interest in the metagame.

• If you are on the 5-person ballot for the Voting Stage, but know you won't be able to participate in the battle at the end of the week, then please let me know. I won't get on your case about irl stuff, but if you can let me know about it in advance, then we won't be forced to skip battles and it will be smoother for everyone.

• The two competitors from the previous week's battle can't be nominated for the following week. For example, if Animus Majulous and QueenOfLuvdiscs battled in Week 2, they can't be nominated for Week 3. This is in place to try and keep the battles from getting too stale and having the same competitors over and over again.

• Do not nominate or vote for yourself. This is a community-driven battle; if the community wants to see you in a battle, they'll vote for you. Everyone will have their opportunity to battle sooner or later.

Last edited:

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The nomination stage for Week 1 is open! Nominations will end Tuesday December 27th to get us on track with the scheduled days listed in the op.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Shit I'm happy I mentioned this in chat! This will be awesome!

Ria
Reachzero

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)