Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before gen 7 it was fully accurate, and confusion had 50% activation. Prankster which was paired with it also affected Dark-types back then, so Pokemon like Klefki (swagkeys) could make situations where they were likelier than not to kill stuff and where matches were decided by RNG, so even Ubers had to ban it.
Lots of people discussed un-banning Swagger after it was so badly nerfed in gen 7, but the only tier that actually tried it was Ubers. Not sure it would still be broken in other places after the nerfs, but tiers without the minimalistic banning policy of ubers saw no value in checking.
Actually, it is unbanned in OU,UU,RU,NU and PU (all following the unban of OU). In fact, it was unbanned at the start of the generation in OU and only later, after quite some time, in Ubers. It is still banned in Monotype in Little Cup though.

I'd say its related to the viability of base 90 scarfers like Kyogre, Zekrom, Dialga, and such. +Speed Deo-A is faster than these scarfers if they aren't running +Speed natures (which they rarely did), and all of these mons were a very common sight in older generations. Nowadays, these scarfers have fallen very far in viability for different reasons - Primal Groudon was the biggest one for Kyogre and Zekrom, but Fairy-types also come into it for most Dragon-type scarfers.

Deoxys-A's role in older generations was also typically more focused on hazard setting in a very offensive way when compared to Deo-S, and being able to speed tie another Deo-A in the lead position was another small advantage to gain from using +Speed (with Extreme Speed). The niche of such a role has also diminished greatly due to Defog and other generational changes to the metagame overall.

So that leaves its current strongest role - wallbreaking. Deoxys-A doesn't have to worry about being able to outspeed any base 90 scarfers for its team, as they don't exist outside of the few that build Scarf Kyogre with a Dugtrio or something. The common scarfers (Xerneas and Yveltal) are faster regardless of nature, so it doesn't matter there either. Suicide hazard setting has fallen a long way, and has shifted away from Deoxys-A regardless. That gives it the room to run +SpA and even alongside a Life Orb (Sash was the main item back then) and become a very powerful wallbreaker instead.

Looking at the latest usage statistics, there is the absence of Ultra Necrozma (where at least hide by these basic forms). Is it possible to make it appear next time? In any case it interests me to see its influence on the USUM meta. We already suspect that it is a secondary option to Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, which seems much more used defensive with the leftovers. I guess it's feasible because the mechanics are very much like a mega-evolution (an object that changes the shape of the wearer, it reminds me of something). Why not also make the distinction between Zygarde-Complete and the "Auro Break form" (there may be people who inadvertently play the second talent): we make the difference between Greninja and his form Sacha in the usage statistics of OU

Rather new to Ubers, so just a quick question: Is Stall still/again a thing with the resurgence of Gothitelle being able to take out so many defensive mons "for free"?

And if yes, what are some of the most common things you see in ubers stall? I'd assume MSab, Chansey/Blissey, Zyg-C, DM Nercozma, Pogre, Support Arceus, Lugia and Ho-Oh? Anything else that's popular?

Thanks already!

Stall is still a thing, but less effective I think. Stall teams can run Pursuit, Shed Shell and untrappable mons to mostly limit Goth from doing too much for free- but doing so will likely leave the team weak to some other wallbreaking threat, like Mixed Primal Kyogre. It's not really Goth by itself, but rather Goth in addition to all the other big threats to stall imo, as its impossible to cover all of them and means that the wrong matchup can easily screw you over.

Other common Pokemon on stall include Ferrothorn, Toxapex, Tyranitar, Giratina-A, and Yveltal as well as the rarer Mega Slowbro, Alolan Muk, and Ditto. Defensive Primal Kyogre is more of a balance mon than a stall one.

Last edited:
Stall is still a thing, but less effective I think. Stall teams can run Pursuit, Shed Shell and untrappable mons to mostly limit Goth from doing too much for free- but doing so will likely leave the team weak to some other wallbreaking threat, like Mixed Primal Kyogre. It's not really Goth by itself, but rather Goth in addition to all the other big threats to stall imo, as its impossible to cover all of them and means that the wrong matchup can easily screw you over.

Other common Pokemon on stall include Ferrothorn, Toxapex, Tyranitar, Giratina-A, and Yveltal as well as the rarer Mega Slowbro, Alolan Muk, and Ditto. Defensive Primal Kyogre is more of a balance mon than a stall one.
Thanks a lot for that detailled reply! :)

I'm not sure if this is the exact right place to put this, but I have a question about the Ubers analyses on-site. How come some of them still appear as if they are in skeleton form (with bullets), like Blaziken (uploaded just a few days ago), Deoxys-S, Necrozma-DM, Marshadow and Rayquaza; yet others look like the "completed" paragraph form, like M-Gengar, Gothitelle, Xerneas and Arceus-Ground? Not a huge deal, but it kinda bothers the OCD parts of me lol

Reactions: hyw

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
I'm not sure if this is the exact right place to put this, but I have a question about the Ubers analyses on-site. How come some of them still appear as if they are in skeleton form (with bullets), like Blaziken (uploaded just a few days ago), Deoxys-S, Necrozma-DM, Marshadow and Rayquaza; yet others look like the "completed" paragraph form, like M-Gengar, Gothitelle, Xerneas and Arceus-Ground? Not a huge deal, but it kinda bothers the OCD parts of me lol
Its the other way around. The standard procedure is to start with bullet points and then do a writeup. The writeup ones are leftovers from SM, bullet points are new ones for USM, where the analyses are in the skeleton phase.
You should take a few of the old SM ones with a grain of salt at this point, too. You mention Gothitelle for example, whose main set in the SM analysis is basically outclassed completely by the newer PP stall set.

Last edited:
Is it just me or has Hyper Offense become at least a fairly popular play style? While testing my Mega Blaziken team (a HO of its own), I seem to run into a lot of other HOs in room tournaments and ladder (admittedly it is lower ladder). If HO is becoming popular, then why is it in such a good position right now?

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Is it just me or has Hyper Offense become at least a fairly popular play style? While testing my Mega Blaziken team (a HO of its own), I seem to run into a lot of other HOs in room tournaments and ladder (admittedly it is lower ladder). If HO is becoming popular, then why is it in such a good position right now?
HO can be used as a way to get past low ladder quickly, as many low ladder teams can't deal with a decently-played and well-built HO team. Although I haven't laddered in ubers too recently, there weren't too many HO teams in the higher ladder from what I recall.

what are the hazard removers in ubers?
Common ones are support Arceus forms (Arceus-Water, Arceus-Ground, Arceus-Dragon), other ones are Giratina-O in bulky offense, Giratina-A in stall, and Defog is also occasionally seen from Xerneas, Yveltal, Ho-oh, and Lugia.

Rapid Spin users are commonly seen hyperoffense teams and notable users are Excadrill, Cloyster, and Smeargle.

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
So I'm a longtime casual ladder player thinking of trying out tournaments for the first time. I think I'm pretty good for a casual player (got top 5 in the ladder a couple times in ORAS and SM, usually live around 1650) but thats obviously a ways below the skill needed for serious tournaments.
Since I have no familiarity with the tournament scene, could someone point me to a good tournament for someone of my skill level to get some experience as I start out? I gather that the big one coming up everyone is excited for would basically not be it (seems to be mostly for the well-known good players) but I'm not sure which to look out for.

So I'm a longtime casual ladder player thinking of trying out tournaments for the first time. I think I'm pretty good for a casual player (got top 5 in the ladder a couple times in ORAS and SM, usually live around 1650) but thats obviously a ways below the skill needed for serious tournaments.
Since I have no familiarity with the tournament scene, could someone point me to a good tournament for someone of my skill level to get some experience as I start out? I gather that the big one coming up everyone is excited for would basically not be it (seems to be mostly for the well-known good players) but I'm not sure which to look out for.
the seasonal circuit is a great proving ground for new generation players. i would advise keeping up with ubers sub forum tournaments(there are sometimes ladder or weekend tournaments etc) as well as the circuit/tournament subforum.

this is a useful thread as well: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/2018-ubers-tournament-circuit.3625482/

What is a good Yveltal set right now? Im running a wallbreaker core with physical Pogre. (Also any ideas for good teammates?)
If you're going for wallbreaker Yveltal I'd recommend this set:

Yveltal @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- U-turn
- Heat Wave / Focus Blast

Choice Specs gives it incredible power. Dark Pulse is your strongest STAB thanks to Dark Aura - it 2HKOes Life Orb Ho-Oh most of the time. Oblivion Wing is the backup STAB, and heals 75% of the damage done, letting you wallbreak for longer. U-turn lets you scout switch ins and grab momentum. Heat Wave 2HKOes Magearna, which would otherwise wall you. Focus Blast OHKOes non Chople Berry Tyranitar, which would also wall you, but is quite unreliable overall.

As for good teammates, lategame cleaners such as Geomancy Xerneas, Rock Polish Primal Groudon, Double Dance Dusk Mane Necrozma and Swords Dance Arceus forms are good teammates that appreciate the holes they can create.

I have a question:
Why is Darkrai in Ubers? Whats it doing there?
I mean, with the HUGE dark void nerf this gen, it gets completely outclassed by greninja (in my opinion)

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
I have a question:
Why is Darkrai in Ubers? Whats it doing there?
I mean, with the HUGE dark void nerf this gen, it gets completely outclassed by greninja (in my opinion)
While ubers council does not decide which pokemon is forced in this tier, I can say that darkrai is still too powerful to OU due to all its powerful traits:
- dark/figthing/poison coverage
- good bulk that make difficult revenge kill it
- powerful offensive stats (135 spa/125 speed) that, added with Nasty Plot, allow it to break and/or sweep easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)