Simisear [QC: 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader

QC'd by:
GP'd by:

Overview
########

• Flamboyancy at its finest
  • Simisear is outclassed by most Fire-types; NP is its main niche (which even faces competition from Ninetales with Psyshock > Dragalge)
  • Base 101 Speed Stat is trollingly cute and outspeeds a ton of the tier, including Typhlosion / Tales
  • It can go mixed due to base 98 attack stats
  • Its frailty is a real problem, as it dies vs virtually any strong hit and a subpar typing gives it a weakness to Stealth Rock

Substitute + Nasty Plot
########
name: Substitute + Nasty Plot
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Focus Blast / Grass Knot
ability: Blaze
item: Leftovers / Life Orb / Salac Berry
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

• Substitute is an important move as it gives Simisear a chance to live an otherwise strong hit, eases prediction, and allows a safe cushion that permits setting up Nasty Plot against opposing walls.
  • Fire Blast is the nuke of this set, ripping apart through the many Grass-types that roam the tier, such as Ferroseed, Lilligant and Vileplume. Simisear also outspeeds targets such as Jynx and Klinklang before they even move. It is also deceptively powerful once Simisear gets into Blaze range.
  • Use Flamethrower over Fire Blast if accuracy and PP are an issue, but Simisear really wants all the power it can get
  • Focus Blast has the advantage of hitting Rock-types such as Rhydon, Probopass and Regirock; and Pokemon that resist its main STAB move such as Miltank and Pyroar
  • Grass Knot hits Water-types such as Carracosta, Barbaracle, and Seismitoad for 4x damage. Keep in mind you'll hit things like Lanturn for piss poor damage.
  • You may use a Hidden Power that, while weak, may cover some Pokemon that can't be covered by the aforementioned moves. Hidden Power Ice hits Dragon-types such as Dragalge and Altaria, while Hidden Power Rock targets opposing Fire-types.

Set Details
========

• Blaze is the main ability here as it powers up Fire Blast after Simisear is sufficiently weakened after Substitute use, some Stealth Rock switch-ins, or a few Life Orb rounds
  • Leftovers allows the fire monkey to set up more Substitutes in order to get a Nasty Plot in, while also mitigating Stealth Rock damage. On the other hand, Life Orb can be used to power up all of Simisear's moves immediately without set up, and may also put it near Blaze range. Salac Berry is only usable once, but it works largely in tandem with Blaze as you can abuse Substitute to get into that range and get a speed boost
  • The EVs are straightforward. Max Special Attack and Speed in order to ensure Simisear hits as hard and as fast as possible. It also has an odd HP number in order to have 4 Stealth Rock switch-ins
  • Timid is the nature of choice as it gives Simisear the ability to capitalize on its base 101 speed to outspeed many Pokemon such as Sawsbuck, Jynx, Rotom and Klinklang

Usage Tips
========

• Simisear is best used in the late game when most of its checks and counters have been significantly weakened, so simply attempt to damage foes with Fire Blast while conserving HP
  • It is as simple as taking advantage of weak walls like Audino and Flareon, or Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Vileplume, to set up a Substitute or a Nasty Plot and begin sweeping from there. Remember that Simisear is quite frail so it will effectively only have one chance of doing this

Team Options
========

• Hazards are the #1 priority here, as they ensure Simisear will get the required KOs. Spike setters such as Qwilfish, Crustle, and Garbodor and Stealth Rock setters such as Mesprit and Archeops provide great support in this area.
  • A Rapid Spin user such as Kabutops may be used to clear the field of hazards in order to give Simisear more opportunities to switch-in.
  • Grass-types such as Lilligant and Sceptile may be used to pummel the Rock- and Water-types that may interfere with Simisear's sweep.
  • Jynx and EQ Hariyama may eliminate some of the aforementioned Rock-types and problematic Dragon-types such as Dragalge.

Other Options
########

• The ability Gluttony in conjunction with Salac Berry in order to allow Simisear to sweep uninterrupted (except against priority)
  • Yawn serves to force switches and may be useful to set up Nasty Plot
  • Taunt cripples walls from setting up and once again aids Simisear in setting up
  • Knock Off serves as a deterrent that removes items from the opposing Pokemon
  • (Seriously questioning why use these over special ones) Physical options like Superpower and Gunk Shot are usable options as Simisear has access to a decent Attack stat.

Checks & Counters
########

• Water-types resist Simisear's main move and can easily defeat it with their STAB moves. Lanturn in particular takes nothing from Grass Knot and can just pummel it with a Water-type move
  • Dragon-types such as Dragalge and Altaria can take on Simisear and set up against it
  • Hazards, particularly Stealth Rock, shortens Simisear's life span considerably by giving it less options to switch-in or set up.
  • Priority coming from the likes of Feraligatr, Kangaskhan, and Gurdurr may easily remove Simisear due to its weak defenses, while revenge killers such as Mesprit may KO it before it moves

Last edited:
Checks & Counters
############
Walled by Dusclops/Dusknoir. Double check if Nightshade breaks subs - either way Dusknoir can run EQ and easily break subs.
Priority moves like Aqua Jet and Quick Attack.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Walled by Dusclops/Dusknoir. Double check if Nightshade breaks subs - either way Dusknoir can run EQ and easily break subs.
Dusclops has no hope of beating Simisear before it gets KOed., and Noir is OHKOed by +2 LO / +2 Blaze Fire Blast.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Blitzamirin sorry this hasn't been looked at so far, I hope you're still interested in this analysis. Overall this looks very good and I don't see any huge issues, my comments are below.

I think Salac Berry deserves a mention on the main set, and i don't actually feel the need to mention gluttony with it. It probably works better with blaze, seeing as you can sub into blaze range and give yourself a free +1 speed to boot.

Mention setting up subs / nps against grass type pokemon such as vileplume and ferroseed in usage tips.

I don't see how cryogonal beats rock types lol you might want to remove that mention in team options in favor of something like eq hariyama for rock types and dragalge, I don't think altaria is common enough to mention a lure to it in team options dragalge should be enough mention.

Looks good to me. Idk how the rest of qc feels but I think a Mixed LO Attacker spread deserves its own set, if the team disagrees then what you have in other options is fine.

After feedback on mixed set and implements i'll check.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Hey Blitzamirin sorry this hasn't been looked at so far, I hope you're still interested in this analysis. Overall this looks very good and I don't see any huge issues, my comments are below.

I think Salac Berry deserves a mention on the main set, and i don't actually feel the need to mention gluttony with it. It probably works better with blaze, seeing as you can sub into blaze range and give yourself a free +1 speed to boot.

Mention setting up subs / nps against grass type pokemon such as vileplume and ferroseed in usage tips.

I don't see how cryogonal beats rock types lol you might want to remove that mention in team options in favor of something like eq hariyama for rock types and dragalge, I don't think altaria is common enough to mention a lure to it in team options dragalge should be enough mention.

Looks good to me. Idk how the rest of qc feels but I think a Mixed LO Attacker spread deserves its own set, if the team disagrees then what you have in other options is fine.

After feedback on mixed set and implements i'll check.
Thanks for the check, and it's really not a problem! Added those mentions and will await feedback following a new set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)