Shifters

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
Approved by Treecko and Joim

Look at the official XY type matchup chart here. Below you'll see the same order of the 18 types of Pokemon and a sequence of arrows. Choose a type, say, Poison. Follow the arrow and from now on, all Pokemon with the Poison type shift into Fighting.

But it doesn't end there. Not everything has a deep enough movepool to take advantage of this change, leaving a select group of versatile Pokemon to dominate, like Arcanine for example. However, if you take all the corresponding moves and shift those as well, an entire new metagame comes out of it.

As Treecko said when I presented the proposal:
Treecko said:
Thoughts on changing the typing of moves as well? This way, almost everything gets decent STAB, and the stuff that didn't probably sucks ass anyways. The only problem here would be remembering what coverage moves certain Pokemon have and what type those coverage moves would become. Take your example of Arcanine (because it gets some cool coverage moves). Normally, it runs something along the lines of Flare Blitz, Extreme Speed, Wild Charge, and Close Combat, but with shifted typings on those coverage moves, it would have: Normal-type Flare Blitz, Fairy-type Extreme Speed (which would actually be pretty amazing), Grass-type Wild Charge, and Ice-type Close Combat (:O). This coverage is extremely (totally) different from what it normally has
Offensively, we get stuff like Ghost/Ground Dragonite and Salamence, Fighting/Poison Nidoking, Rock/Fighting Gengar, Dragon/Dark Bisharp, and Dragon/Ice Scrafty and more and more.
Defensively, we get stuff like Steel Clefable, Normal Torkoal, Flying Espeon, Electric Regice, Water/Fighting Amoonguss, Ghost Goodra, Fire/Steel Azumarill and on and on.
Nerfs include Bug/Ice Terrakion, Psychic/Dark Scizor, Normal/Ice Blaziken (or are they...?)
The rest.

And
take
a
look
at
this

Stealth Bug (formally known as Stealth Rock)
Now that Stealth Rock's bane on battling has lifted, it's replaced by a new type that hurts Grass, Psychic, and Dark Pokemon. Formally solid OU Pokemon like Scizor (x4), Magnezone (x4), Skarmory (x2), Aegislash (x2), Ferrothorn (x2), and Forretress (x4) will want Rapid Spin and Defog support to comfortably switch in. The types that feared Rock before, like Fire, Flying, Bug, and Ice (and any combination between them), can now switch with little worry. And also take note of the types that resist Bug: Fighting, Fairy, Steel, Fire, Flying, Ghost, and Poison. Starmie, a Fire/Flying type, Claydol, a Poison/Flying type, and Tentacruel, a Fire/Fighting type, all quad resist it and have access to Rapid Spin. What a deal!

Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Spore, etc (Status in general)
The status moves still work very much the same, and according to the notes on the type chart linked above, Fire-types can't be burned, Electric-types can't be paralyzed, Poison- and Steel-types can't be poisoned, Grass-types are immune to Leech Seed (even though it's a Water move), powder, and spore moves, Ice-types can't be frozen, and Ground-types are still immune to Thunder Wave (even though it's a Grass move.)
Will-o-Wisp and Toxic still hit Ghosts-types even though they're Normal and Fighting moves respectively. Ghosts are only immune to Normal and Fighting attacks, not status.

Spikes and Toxic Spikes
Don't let this mess with you too much, but Spikes are now Poison and they function the same as always, except they don't affect Steel-types now. They are not absorbed by other Poison-types.
Toxic Spikes is a Fighting-type move that is absorbed by Poison-types and still poisons foes like before. Steel-types are still immune.

Swellow – Fairy/Ground
Guts / Scrappy
60/85/60/50/50/125
Facade, Brave Bird, Quick Attack, U-turn, Protect
Why?: Swellow now resists Stealth Bug, making its Guts set deadlier since it won't take as much damage switching in. Fairy+Ground gives great coverage together and U-turn lets it switch out against Non-Grounded Steel- and Poison-types (and will hit the Poison-types super effectively.)

Torkoal - Normal
White Smoke / Shell Armor
70/85/140/85/70/20
Stealth Rock, Will-o-Wisp, Body Slam, Rapid Spin, Lava Plume, Clear Smog

Fairy

Explosion – 250
Self-Destruct – 200
Boomburst – 140
Return/Frustration – 102
Hyper Voice – 90
Body Slam – 85
Extreme Speed – 80
Tri Attack – 80
Facade – 70
Fake Out – 40
Quick Attack – 40
Rapid Spin – 20

Normal

Flare Blitz – 120
Fire Blast – 110
Heat Wave – 95
Flamethrower – 90
Lava Plume – 80
Fire Punch – 75
Will-o-wisp

Fire

Hydro Pump – 110
Aqua Tail – 90
Surf – 90
Scald – 80
Waterfall – 80
Aqua Jet – 40

Water

Power Whip – 120
Energy Ball – 90
Leaf Blade – 90
Seed Bomb – 80
Giga Drain – 75
Bullet Seed – 25
Grass Knot
Leech Seed
Spore
Sleep Powder

Grass

Fusion Bolt – 100
Thunderbolt – 90
Wild Charge – 90
Discharge – 80
Thunder Punch – 75
Volt Switch – 70
Thunder Wave

Electric

Ice Beam – 90
Icicle Crash – 85
Ice Punch – 75
Ice Shard – 40
Icicle Spear – 25

Ice

Close Combat – 120
Focus Blast – 120
Superpower – 120
Jump Kick – 100
Aura Sphere – 80
Drain Punch – 75
Mach Punch – 40
Seismic Toss

Fighting

Gunk Shot – 120
Sludge Wave – 95
Sludge Bomb – 90
Poison Jab – 80
Clear Smog – 50
Toxic
Toxic Spikes

Poison

Earthquake – 100
Earth Power – 90
Spikes

Ground

Brave Bird – 120
Hurricane – 110
Air Slash – 75
Acrobatics – 55
Defog
Roost

Flying

Psychic – 90
Psyshock – 80
Zen Headbutt – 80
Psycho Cut – 70

Psychic

Megahorn – 120
Bug Buzz – 90
X-scissor – 80
Signal Beam – 75
U-turn – 70
Pin Missile – 25
Sticky Web

Bug

Head Smash – 150
Stone Edge – 100
Power Gem – 80
Rock Slide – 75
Rock Blast – 25
Stealth Rock

Rock

Shadow Ball – 80
Shadow Claw – 70
Shadow Sneak – 40
Night Shade
Destiny Bond

Ghost

Draco Meteor – 130
Outrage – 120
Spacial Rend – 100
Dragon Pulse – 85
Dragon Claw – 80
Dragon Tail – 60

Dragon

Foul Play – 95
Crunch – 80
Dark Pulse – 80
Sucker Punch – 80
Night Slash – 70
Knock Off – 65
Pursuit – 40

Dark

Flash Cannon – 80
Iron Head – 80
Bullet Punch – 40
Gyro Ball

Steel

Moonblast – 95
Play Rough – 90
Dazzling Gleam – 80

MOAR coming soon, including a decision on Ubers/banlists. To get started, Sleep, OHKO, Species, Evasion, Moody cluases are in effect

Last edited:
Wow! This looks amazing!

EDIT- One Pokemon I am interested in is Greninja, which is now Fire/Dragon, which is a phenomenal typing!

Last edited:
Some interesting things I've noticed:

Gliscor is now a ground/poison with poison heal.

Lati@s are now flying/ghost with levitate. Cresselia is also flying w/ levitate. Troll on

Rotom Frost becomes Rotom Mow

Dragalge is ghost/fighting with perfect coverage except for Charizard X who is a normal/ghost

Snorlax is a fairy. That just seems odd. I guess we'll call him Sleeping beauty.

Arceus Normal is now Arceus fairy that can hold an item. Ouch.

Last edited:
You never fail to disappoint me with your metagames, Eeevee. Then again, I am very easily amused. Not such a bad thing, I suppose.

This one looks really fun, but I have a suggestion. Maybe have weathers shift, too? So sun would boost normal type moves, while rain boosts fire, and sand gives bug types a spd boost, and sand and hail damage immunities also shift. Would be neat imo

Some interesting things I've noticed:

Gliscor is now a ground/poison with poison heal.

Lati@s are now flying/ghost with levitate

Rotom Frost becomes Rotom Mow

Dragalge is ghost/fighting with perfect coverage except for Charizard X who is a normal/ghost

Snorlax is a fairy. That just seems odd.

Arceus Normal is now Arceus fairy that can hold an item. Ouch.
Also, Talonflame can only use Gale Wings with Hidden Power Psychic, because it has no other Psychic moves in its movepool. That is unless Eevee decides to "shift" abilities that effect specific move types.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
You never fail to disappoint me with your metagames, Eeevee. Then again, I am very easily amused. Not such a bad thing, I suppose.

This one looks really fun, but I have a suggestion. Maybe have weathers shift, too? So sun would boost normal type moves, while rain boosts fire, and sand gives bug types a spd boost, and sand and hail damage immunities also shift. Would be neat imo
I second this. With everything else changed, this seems fair.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bug-Type Stealth Rock. That's just weird.
Dragon-types are now spinblockers. I expect Rapid Spin to disappear and Defog to be big.
(Nevermind, forgot that Rapid Spin is now fairy and unblockable)

Toxicroak should be good, what with having one of the best offensive typings in the game and Dragon-Type Priority in the form of Sucker Punch.
Psychic-Type U-Turn will be a huge problem for Fighting-types and Poison-types.
Dragalage has the best STAB in the game. Shame about the total lack of speed.

Edit : Fairy. Type. Blissey. Our worst nightmares have finally come true.

Last edited:
I have one thing to say. Charizard X is going to be godlike with that awesome ghost-normal typing, good bulk and access to moves such as Will-o-Wisp and Roost.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Question: While in a battle, would we see the new type of the Pokemon and moves? If not, stuff would get confusing.

Fairy type Porygon Z. With Adaptability. :O
And how would Pixilate/Aerialate/Refridgerate work?

So, Shedinja is now Rock/Psychic? Dang, it has more weaknesses then it did before. Guess its no longer weak to common Fire attacks though.

Also what about moves like Trick-or-Treat or Soak? Do they now add Rock Typing and change the Pokemon into a Fire-Type respectively?

(A few other things I find of note. ExtremeKiller Arceus now needs to hold a Fire Plate to get STAB ExtremeSpeed, Dialga now has only 1 weakness thanks to its Dark/Ghost Typing, and Cryogonal now has 0 weaknesses and Rapid Spin.)

Many dark types got a fantastic buff in dragon, one interesting case is Hydreigon with that awesome dragon/ghost typing. Ghost meteor gogo!

Also sharpedo: a fire/dragon with speed boost? yes please! I expect he could do some work here.

I also would like to point out mega absol, still rocking the most powerful sucker punch in the game in a brand new type.

The only problem is the influx of defensive fairies, such as blissey, porygon2, and snorlax, which these new dragons might have trouble with.

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lapras could actually be good, what with only being weak to Ground and Rock, Thunderbolt taking care of these.
Also, Staraptor is much better, with its near-unresisted dual STAB as well as Ice-Type Close Combat to take care of Gardevoir and Mr.Mime (there are no levitating Fairy-types).
Speaking of Gardevoir and Mr.Mime, they have an amazing defensive typing. Gardevoir could be a very good special tank, as can Clefable.

Toxicroak now has the best offensive type (Fight/Ice). It does not need coverage moves any more.

Shedinja is even weaker with 7 weaknesses (Grass/Water/Ground/Steel/Dark/Ghost/Bug). It can be taken out a lot more easily. If weather remains unchanged, though, then at least it is immune to sandstorm.

If weather does not shift, then pokemon that are normally flying/ghost/fairy type are immune to sandstorm damage, and fight-types are immune to hail damage. Moves normally water-type are boosted in sun, and moves normally grass-type are boosted in rain. Furthermore, both are weakened in the opposite.
This makes drizzleswim less threatening as the user's main STAB is now weakened. Chlorophyll/Solar Power also are nerfed by the user's STAB moves being weakened in sun.

Albacore

I think we should probably look at more former Fairy-types because they might just be great.
Azumarill gets a different typing, probably not for the better. Defensively, it has more resistances but also more (or rather worse) weaknesses. Takes nothing from Stealth Bug though. Offensively, it's okay, probably not better, though. Fire-type priority is good, but might not be better than Water-type priority, and getting walled by other Fire-types is pretty bad.
Togekiss is pretty bad. It's got a 4x weakness to Fire and Fighting, as well as a weakness to Ground. That is not good. I really can't see this thing getting usage.
Nevermind, it's Steel-Ground, not Steel-Ice. In that case, it's actually pretty good. Should get usage.
Florges is the go-to special wall of the game. Able to pass massive wishes and all. It's great.
Granbull is basically the physical Florges. It's a Stell type with Intimidate. Can you imagine how good Skarmory, Foretress or Ferrothorn would be if any of them got Intimidate?
Clefable is more-or-less the same. With Moonblast, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, there aren't many Pokemon who can really resist this.

Also, and I know I always bring this up in the OM threads, but Nidoking. The best and only good Fighting-type special attacker in the metagame with its Sludge Wave (besides Gengar I guess). Unfortunately, the rest of its coverage is kinda nerfed, but man... that Sludge Wave... I guess you could use Focus Blast to get that Ice-Fighting coverage, but then, you'd have to use Focus Miss.

Speaking of Gengar, it is now the Special Terrakion. It doesn't even need to use Focus Miss to get perfect coverage. Sub+Disable+Shadow Ball+Sludge Bomb is even better than before.

Last edited:
Wigglytuff actually looks usable in this metagame, with an amazing typing of Steel/Fairy. Some other ones I think look good:
  • Heliolisk (Grass/Fairy)
  • Sableye (Dragon/Rock)
  • Goodra (Ghost)
  • Lucario (Ice/Dark)
  • Weavile (Dragon/Electric)
  • Venusaur (Water/Fighting)
  • Azumarill (Fire/Steel)
  • Garchomp (Ghost/Poison)
  • Dragalge (Fighting/Ghost)
  • Tyrantrum (Bug/Ghost)
Some, not so great ones:
  • Mega Aggron (Dark)
  • Scizor (Psychic/Dark)
Along with a few others I am too tired to type up.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Kyurem (And Kyurem-Black and White) are now super Rotom-N, which their cool Ghost / Electric typing. Unfortunantly, they don't have any good physical Electric STAB (Although they have Ice Beam on the special side). Their coverage isn't very good, but with such a good STAB that Ghost is (Ghost-type Outrage!) and a pretty unique and cool typing, Kyurem and Kyurem-B look like they can be very good.

Another interesting is the very hyper offensively typed Fire / Ice. This type would normally be bad because of SR, but now that it's Stealth Web, Keldeo actually resists it. It still has the problem with shitty coverage (Hidden Power and the new Fairy-typed Round lol), but Fire / Ice is a very good offensive type, so its not that big of a problem.

Also holy shit Staraptor is really good. It has a strong Fairy/Ground typing that gives it good coverage. Not only that, but it has Ice-type Close Combat for even better coverage. It also has U-Turn for utility. This thing looks like it could be one of the top threats, even moreso than Swellow.

EDIT: Poor Politoed lol, it's main STAB is weakened in the weather it summons.

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
Thanks everyone for posting ideas for this new meta.

Regarding the shift of moves and abilities, etc, I want to keep the changes to a minimum because this meta is confusing already (until you get the hang of the order that things shift.) It's tempting to make Drought work for Normal-types because Fire turned into Normal (and ditto for Drizzle, Snow Warning, and Sand Stream) but think of the change as a way to give every Pokemon a chance to do something else with a new type. If we make sand give Bugs a buff to their Special Defense, then all prior Rock-types will continue to function as special tanks in that capacity.

However, by making sand continue to buff the new Rock-types (previously Ghost Pokemon), we open up the role for things like Dusknoir and Cofagrigus to try it out.
Sure, Swift Swim is counter to the Fire-types that carry it, but this metagame isn't trying to copy everything that worked in standard OU, it's trying to create a new game altogether with interesting types and new roles for just about everything.

Fighting moves poison things? Normal moves burn things? Gardevoir is a special Skarmory? Ice is no longer an embarrassing type to carry? That's we we should focus on.

EDIT: Regarding certain other abilities, like Pixilate, Water Absorb, Gale Wings, and Normalize, they'll keep doing what they did. So Gastrodon will still absorb Water moves and get a boost to Special Attack, Raikou will still absorb Electric, and so on.

Togekiss is pretty bad. It's got a 4x weakness to Fire and Fighting, as well as a weakness to Ground. That is not good. I really can't see this thing getting usage.
Togekiss is Steel/Ground, idk what you're looking at, she's gonna be very interesting now that Air Slash hits electric types immune to paralysis and she still go some pretty good resistances to go with her great bulk

Honestly stall seems to be the biggest winner here, Fairy Type Blissey/Chansey, Electric Type Avalugg, Fire types with Water Absorb, Dragon/Ground Mandibuzz, Steel/Flying Gardevoir, and the list goes on and on and on, it's pretty cool

I think people are overestimating Fighting types, many types resist them now (even with ice), Thick Fat Mamo/Snorlax, Lati@s, Kingdra, every previous Water/Ground type (Fire/Poison is suddenly a good type with the most common ground move being Aerial Ace), and a big etc... there's even stuff like Fire/Flying Slowbro, and Flying/Water Celebi, who can take a neutral hit and KO in return. And even if you don't have anything like that almost every pokemon can use Fairy Type Return to hit them hard, IMO Dragons are A LOT more dangerous now that they are Ghost types since the only resists are the previous Fire types and the previous Steel types (which are now weak to Stealth Bug), those are the ones I'm pretty scared about

Last edited:
Mantine interests me here: a Fire/Ground type with Water Absorb.

Also, Victini and Delphox are the only Normal/Flying types if you want something to be immune to something like Dragonite's Ghost/Ground STAB combo if that becomes a thing.

One 'mon that comes to mind is Avalugg, with now pure Electric typing, which isn't terrible, especially compared to its original Ice. Now it has two resistances and one weakness, which could be augmented with an Air Balloon (although a lack of leftovers sucks). On the minus side, it has to be scared of every bird in existence, as flying is now ground. Gonna look at this more for some cool 'mons now.

Amusingly, the (previously) ever-common Bug still has a weakness to Stealth hazard.

Skarmory is Dark/Ground, Mawile now has the amazing Dark/Steel typing, and Surskit has the completely unique typing of Fire/Psychic now. Neutrality to Stealth Bug, whoo!

EDIT: oh, and Bisharp is Dark/Dragon now. Me likey.

Last edited:
One 'mon that comes to mind is Avalugg, with now pure Electric typing, which isn't terrible, especially compared to its original Ice. Now it has two resistances and one weakness, which could be augmented with an Air Balloon (although a lack of leftovers sucks). On the minus side, it has to be scared of every bird in existence, as flying is now ground. Gonna look at this more for some cool 'mons now.

Amusingly, the (previously) ever-common Bug still has a weakness to Stealth hazard.

Skarmory is Dark/Ground, Mawile now has the amazing Dark/Steel typing, and Surskit has the completely unique typing of Fire/Psychic now. Neutrality to Stealth Bug, whoo!

EDIT: oh, and Bisharp is Dark/Dragon now. Me likey.
252 Atk Guts Swellow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 204-242 (51.7 - 61.4%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Guts Swellow Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 118-141 (29.9 - 35.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

All changes are there so Avalugg can tank Swellow's BB and Recover (as long as he doesn't switch in when Swellow's already burned), with BB recoil and burn/poison Swellow will go down pretty fast

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 204-242 (51.7 - 61.4%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Staraptor it's a different story as even Scarf can do significant damage with BB (though he can tank anything else and if he doesn't switch in he could let him die from recoil and being trapped in a ground move is easy to exploit), Life Orb SubRoost easily 2HKOs while not killing itself from recoil

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- 76.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Talonflame needs CB to 2HKO (even though I think Swellow might be better)

+1 252+ Atk Gyarados Bounce vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 204-242 (51.7 - 61.4%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even Gyara can't break it with bounce

You need a Special Flying move to OHKO Avalugg (like Hurricane on Dragonite which is a clean OHKO), it's actually pretty scary

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)