VGC Series 8, Venusaur, Groudon Sun Team. Supports needed! Thank you!

Hello! Below is a sun team I have been trying out. I would appreciate any advice or help on improving this squad. Thank you in advance!

Venusaur-Gmax (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Chlorophyll

Level: 50

Gigantamax: Yes

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Modest Nature

IVs: 20 HP / 0 Atk / 20 Spe

- Sludge Bomb

- Sleep Powder

- Earth Power

- Solar Beam

Classic sun abuser, not too worried about Venusaur but if there is anything I can improve besides the hyper training I would appreciate it!

Groudon @ Assault Vest

Ability: Drought

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Adamant Nature

IVs: 21 HP / 21 Atk / 27 Def / 20 SpA / 28 SpD / 12 Spe

- Rock Slide

- Precipice Blades

- Fire Punch

- Dragon Claw

Groudon is my sun setter. Is assault vest the best way to go on this Groudon or do I add protect and a different item?

Charizard-Gmax (M) @ Charcoal

Ability: Solar Power

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 10 HP / 10 Def

- Heat Wave

- Air Slash

- Flamethrower

- Dragon Breath

Another special abuser, can increase speed with Max Air. Life Orb is already being used on Venusaur so I went with Charcoal but is there a better option?

Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Synchronize

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

IVs: 10 Atk

- Taunt

- Snarl

- Protect

- Moonlight

Umbreon is my wall for this team. He counters Spectrier and can take almost anything. My question on Umbreon is which ability I should give it?

Mimikyu (M) @ Spell Tag

Ability: Disguise

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

IVs: 10 Spe

- Shadow Claw

- Shadow Sneak

- Play Rough

- Swords Dance

Here is where my team gets murky. I have been playing around with these last two spots for a while and can't find anything I like consistently. I love Mimikyu's ability and its immunity to dragons is huge with all the legendrys entering the fold. What role needs to be filled with this slot?

Regieleki @ Light Clay

Ability: Transistor

EVs: 172 Def / 248 SpA / 88 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 7 HP / 20 Def / 20 SpD

- Thunder

- Electroweb

- Reflect

- Light Screen

Again, this spot has baffled me. Eleki counters Landerous and Kyogre which is why I feel it deserves a spot on my team. Again, I'm lost and would love advice on what I should put in here.

Other Pokemon I have played around with in those last two spots are Togekiss (for follow me), Tapu Koko (for electric and to change terrains), Torkoal (for a second sun setter) and Cinderace (for the diversity it has with libero).

Thank you again, I would appreciate any suggestions!

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello, i'll try to not be too complex and just get straight to the point.
First of all, your Pokémon have something strange, i'm talking about their IVs, why most of your Pokémon don't have 31 IVs? Try to fix this if you're on Showdown or train them with bottle caps in the battle tower if you're on cartridge.

Now let's analyze your team:
Venusaur-Gmax (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 20 HP / 0 Atk / 20 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam
I suggest some moveset changes (EVs are good).
Sleep Powder--->Weather Ball
The trend of the last weeks is Weather Ball Venusaur, to OHKO Zacian in sun and destroy steel types in general. Sleep Powder is still a good option but its low accuracy can often make you lose a game.
Solar Beam--->Leaf Storm
Leaf Storm makes sure that you don't have to rely on sun to effectively hit Kyogre, and while the SpA drop may seem bad, remember that's always better to hit in one turn. You can also use Frenzy Plant to give Gmax Vine Leash 150 BP, but you'll end up being locked for one turn when you're not Dynamaxed, so choose wisely.

Groudon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 21 Atk / 27 Def / 20 SpA / 28 SpD / 12 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
Assault vest is good, but most Groudons use a set with Sitrus Berry as Item, Swords Dance, Precipice Blades, Rock Slide and either Protect or Fire Punch. You don't need Dragon Claw that much, there are almost no Dragon Types in the ladder lately. This is Player's choice tho, so you can use whatever Groudon you like.

Charizard-Gmax (M) @ Charcoal

Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 10 HP / 10 Def
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Breath
I have to suggest some move changes here:
Flamethrower
You don't really need Flamethrower, you already have Heat Wave. Third move options usually are: Solar Beam (not really used since you have Venusaur), Scorching Sands (Really good to boost your SpD and damage Incineroar) or Blast Burn (Same as Frenzy Plant, 150 BP Wildfire).
Dragon Breath--->Protect
Protect is almost mandatory to keep a frail mon like Charizard healthy, if you decide to add a follow me or rage powder user you can use one of the coverage options i listed on the Flamethrower paragraph, but i don't recommend it.

Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 10 Atk
- Taunt
- Snarl
- Protect
- Moonlight
This is a bit tricky, you have to change lots here.
first of all Evs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD, This is the usually used spread that won an important tournament. It makes sure you can take physical moves better since almost all Umbreon direct threats are Physical.
About Moves:
Taunt--->Yawn

Yawn is great to force switches and sleep opponents so you want to have it on Umbreon.
Protect--->Foul Play
Foul Play is a really useful move that deals massive damage to high attack opponents, and since most of the physical Dynamax attackers like to run Weakness Polices and boost, it is extremely useful against them. Running Foul play also means that you must change Umbreon's nature to Bold.

Mimikyu (M) @ Spell Tag
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 10 Spe
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
About this slot, I suggest Porygon2, but why adding a trick room mon on an high speed team like this one? Let me explain:
First of all, Porygon2 learns really good supporting moves like Eerie Impulse, that can heavily cripple opposing special attackers.
It also learns Ice Beam; Landorus-T is Sun Teams's worst nightmare so Ice Beam Porygon2 can threaten it.
Last but not least, Trick room. Trick Room is an important tool that can bring a battle's momentum to you in one turn and Sun's ductile speed makes excellent use of it.

That being said i suggest this set:
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Eerie Impulse
- Recover
- Trick Room

Regieleki @ Light Clay
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 172 Def / 248 SpA / 88 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 7 HP / 20 Def / 20 SpD
- Thunder
- Electroweb
- Reflect
- Light Screen
For the last slot you're free to use whatever you feel like covers your team's weaknesses the best. You can use indedee-F to provide Follow Me and Helping Hand support. You can keep Regieleki to deal with Kyogre but you don't need it that much since you already have a Venusaur and Assault Vest Groudon. Incineroar is also a really good option to soften opponent's attacks and pivot allies in, in the meantime. Try playing the the team for a bit and choose what you like the most.

Aaand we're done. Hope this rate gives you good exapmles and helps you improve the team. Tell me if you disagree with what i've said, we can also discuss on discord if you need playing tips and such. Thanks for reading

Hello, i'll try to not be too complex and just get straight to the point.
First of all, your Pokémon have something strange, i'm talking about their IVs, why most of your Pokémon don't have 31 IVs? Try to fix this if you're on Showdown or train them with bottle caps in the battle tower if you're on cartridge.

Now let's analyze your team:

I suggest some moveset changes (EVs are good).
Sleep Powder--->Weather Ball
The trend of the last weeks is Weather Ball Venusaur, to OHKO Zacian in sun and destroy steel types in general. Sleep Powder is still a good option but its low accuracy can often make you lose a game.
Solar Beam--->Leaf Storm
Leaf Storm makes sure that you don't have to rely on sun to effectively hit Kyogre, and while the SpA drop may seem bad, remember that's always better to hit in one turn. You can also use Frenzy Plant to give Gmax Vine Leash 150 BP, but you'll end up being locked for one turn when you're not Dynamaxed, so choose wisely.

Assault vest is good, but most Groudons use a set with Sitrus Berry as Item, Swords Dance, Precipice Blades, Rock Slide and either Protect or Fire Punch. You don't need Dragon Claw that much, there are almost no Dragon Types in the ladder lately. This is Player's choice tho, so you can use whatever Groudon you like.

I have to suggest some move changes here:
Flamethrower
You don't really need Flamethrower, you already have Heat Wave. Third move options usually are: Solar Beam (not really used since you have Venusaur), Scorching Sands (Really good to boost your SpD and damage Incineroar) or Blast Burn (Same as Frenzy Plant, 150 BP Wildfire).
Dragon Breath--->Protect
Protect is almost mandatory to keep a frail mon like Charizard healthy, if you decide to add a follow me or rage powder user you can use one of the coverage options i listed on the Flamethrower paragraph, but i don't recommend it.

This is a bit tricky, you have to change lots here.
first of all Evs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD, This is the usually used spread that won an important tournament. It makes sure you can take physical moves better since almost all Umbreon direct threats are Physical.
About Moves:
Taunt--->Yawn

Yawn is great to force switches and sleep opponents so you want to have it on Umbreon.
Protect--->Foul Play
Foul Play is a really useful move that deals massive damage to high attack opponents, and since most of the physical Dynamax attackers like to run Weakness Polices and boost, it is extremely useful against them. Running Foul play also means that you must change Umbreon's nature to Bold.

About this slot, I suggest Porygon2, but why adding a trick room mon on an high speed team like this one? Let me explain:
First of all, Porygon2 learns really good supporting moves like Eerie Impulse, that can heavily cripple opposing special attackers.
It also learns Ice Beam; Landorus-T is Sun Teams's worst nightmare so Ice Beam Porygon2 can threaten it.
Last but not least, Trick room. Trick Room is an important tool that can bring a battle's momentum to you in one turn and Sun's ductile speed makes excellent use of it.

That being said i suggest this set:
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Eerie Impulse
- Recover
- Trick Room

For the last slot you're free to use whatever you feel like covers your team's weaknesses the best. You can use indedee-F to provide Follow Me and Helping Hand support. You can keep Regieleki to deal with Kyogre but you don't need it that much since you already have a Venusaur and Assault Vest Groudon. Incineroar is also a really good option to soften opponent's attacks and pivot allies in, in the meantime. Try playing the the team for a bit and choose what you like the most.

Aaand we're done. Hope this rate gives you good exapmles and helps you improve the team. Tell me if you disagree with what i've said, we can also discuss on discord if you need playing tips and such. Thanks for reading
This is awesome!

Thank you so much for all the advice. I am going to try this out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)