VGC Series 6 defiant passimian team!

This is my first time posting on the smogon forums so I hope I don't mess anything up :(

During the first month of series 6, I kinda ignored it and grinded the vgc 2020 ladder until i eventually hit my goal of 1600. With the new season starting, I decided to finally build a team for s6. I finally managed to hit 1500 with using passimian of all things, so I thought this would be nice for my first post.

1602623674706.png

Passimian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Seed Bomb

I think passimian is one of the most underrated pokemon in the format, it helped a ton in matches against stuff like pz, coalossal and the sword trio. I was dynamaxing it quite often, normally when it was either in a good position, or had gotten a defiant boost from something like intimidate or snarl. The assault vest combined with its good natural bulk made this thing super hard to take down, which made it really good late game. For the moveset, close combat is simply its best stab option, and iron head is to hit fairy types like clefairy and hatterene. Seed bomb ended up being incredible in a lot of games since it was able to hit things like primarina, rhyperior, and other bulky waters. I was deciding between knock off and rock slide, and eventually ended up taking knock off for the utility and ability to lower spdef for primarina to capitalize on. You could change it to rock slide if you feel like hitting mons like talonflame and braviary though.

1602620056766.png

Primarina @ Throat Spray
Ability: Liquid Voice
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Hydro Cannon
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball

I originally had milotic, but struggled against rain teams so I ended up taking primarina. Surprisingly, I almost never dynamaxed this thing, I gave it throat spray since it would be spamming hyper voice a lot of the time to get a boost, and it could capitalize on any spdef drops from passimian's max darkness. I also just had a lot of pokemon who were very good dynamax candidates (passimian and dracozolt). I really only dynamaxed it if I had trick room up or it had the throat spray boost and I somehow hadn't dynamaxed yet. Since its a semiroom team, I decided not to run a speed reducing nature so that I wouldn't lose the speed tie in mirror matches outside of trick room.

1602621172646.png

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Night Shade
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room

Very standard set on dusclops here, not much to say. Incredibly consistent trick room setter. I led this thing with amoonguss a lot to basically guarantee trick room. Also provided a good switch in on a lot of attacks that would otherwise take out one of my other pokemon. I originally had orbeetle for synergy with dracozolt but eventually switched it for dusclops.

1602621557395.png

Talonflame @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Heat Wave
- Brave Bird
- Taunt

Standard talonflame set with heat wave for durant ally switch stuff and ferrothorn. Tailwind for speed control and taunt for things like amoonguss or trick rooms setters. I never really dynamaxed this thing, just waited for it to go down to get a free switch.

1602622281174.png

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Claw
- Stomping Tantrum
- Aerial Ace

Basic dracozolt set. Primarily led it with talonflame to just steamroll any teams that couldn't really deal with it. Probably the best dynamax candidate on the team. Hustle makes it really strong and dynamax allows it to ignore the accuracy drop. If I planned on dynamaxing something else, I just wouldn't bring this thing. It helped massively against lapras which I really appreciated since the team had a pretty bad lapras matchup at the time. I considered running gravity on dusclops for synergy but decided against it.

1602622944979.png

Amoonguss @ Coba Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 HP / 164 Def / 108 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Rage Powder
- Spore

The best trick room pokemon in the game. Being able to redirect attacks that would take out my frailer pokemon like dracozolt is pretty useful, but amoonguss synergized the best with dusclops. It became a huge threat in trick room, being able throw spores all over the place, as well as redirect taunts and attacks so that dusclops would be able to get trick room up safely. Min speed since its a trick room pokemon and pretty random numbers on the defensive stats.

Wow, that was a lot of words, but this was really fun to write! If you have any advice please tell me in the comments!
Here's the pokepaste btw: https://pokepast.es/0061b83dc1f5ad4f

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)