ORAS Doubles OU SCREAM

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Howdy, I'm Jake, and this is a team that has been used by myself and many others for the last few months in Doubles OU. I'll start off by saying that this team is not originally mine and that all the credit should go to Dawgie, but as he is busy with school and ORAS is drawing to a close, he asked me to write up this report. When Dawg shared this team with me, it very quickly became one of my go-tos for tournament games. It has a few different options and a lot of defensive flexibility, but it can very quickly become an offensive menace. Between me, Dawg, and a few others, this team has become pretty decorated. Dawg won a seasonal, mrbopper and I got 3rd and 5th respectively in another seasonal, and I got 2nd in the latest Doubles Open, and this team was used pretty frequently in all of these runs. As we move on to Sun and Moon, we figured we would honor the team with a formal RMT.

While a lot of Gardevoir teams are "semi-room" and have faster modes with a couple means of speed control, this one has two Trick Room setters and relies more on its bulk outside of Trick Room. Landorus is the fastest Pokemon on this team, which leaves is somewhat vulnerable to naturally faster teams unless Trick Room is up. Thankfully, between redirection, Intimidate, Will-o-Wisp, and natural bulk, it isn't too hard to get Trick Room set up once or twice in a game.

It's been a while since Dawg sent me the team, so there's a chance my version will be slightly different than the original as I tend to adjust teams as I play with them.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 28 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect

Gardevoir is obviously the centerpiece of this team, and for good reason. Gardevoir is so strong, sporting a monstrous base 165 Special Attack and a Pixilate boosted spread move. If you don't resist Hyper Voice you really don't want to be switching into it. Psychic gives Gardevoir some pretty good neutral coverage, as only Steel types resist both Fairy and Psychic. Psychic also helps cover for Gardevoir's weakness to Poison and takes care of some common DOU Pokemon like Amoonguss and Venusaur. Gardevoir's EV spread allows it to survive a Return from Adamant Mega Kangaskhan, and the rest was just dumped in Special Attack. I opted not to use minimum speed so I could better take advantage of Mega Gardevoir's higher base Speed outside of Trick Room.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

What is Gardevoir without redirection? Any good Gardevoir team is going to have either Amoonguss or Jirachi to help prevent Gardevoir from taking too much damage. Since this particular team liked using Trick Room so much, Amoonguss was a solid choice. Amoonguss can abuse its low speed and start putting entire teams to sleep once Trick Room goes up. Even if Trick Room isn't active, Amoonguss is still a huge asset with Rage Powder, and it can still take a couple hits and toss out some Spores if need be. The large investment in Defense lets Amoonguss take hits better from the likes of Kangaskhan, as you need to be preventing Gardevoir from taking Returns as best as possible. It has a very good chance to survive a Brave Bird from Adamant Life Orb Talonflame, and Jolly cannot OHKO.

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 204 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian is probably the best Pokemon in DOU. It's so easy to throw onto teams and provides so much support both offensively and defensively. We went with Assault Vest on this team to give Landorus more survivability so it could come in and abuse Intimidate as much as possible. The moveset is pretty standard and doesn't really require explanation. I do like Knock Off on AV Landorus, but U-Turn was very nice for board positioning and for making the most of Trick Room turns. If you U-Turn out into something like Heatran or Hoopa as Gardevoir sets up Trick Room, you don't have to waste a turn switching or leave Landorus vulnerable to a slower threat. We used max speed and a Jolly nature so give us the edge in the non-Scarf Landorus mirror, and to give the team at least a little bit of natural speed.

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 8 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Heatran is one of the team's powerhouses. If you can set up Trick Room and give Heatran some room to run, it's all but guaranteed that you'll be free to click Eruption and do a ton of damage to everything that doesn't resist it, especially if you can manage to get a Flash Fire boost. Since a Quiet nature is required with Eruption, we figured it would be best to just go as slow as possible to abuse Trick Room and win Heatran mirrors more often. Minimum speed would have been preferred, but since its base speed is slightly lower than Hoopa's, you have to use 8 IVs if you want Hoopa to be slower and break Wide Guards and Protects before Heatran attacks. Safety Goggles is an amazing item on Heatran since it allows you to completely wall Amoonguss, which can otherwise be annoying when Trick Room is up. It also makes Heatran a pretty solid check to Venusaur, which usually can only deal with Heatran via Sleep Powder. An argument can be made for Shuca Berry in order to take a hit from Landorus or sway the Heatran mirror even more in your favor, but I prefer the utility of Safety Goggles since I'd rather Heatran not be taking any Ground type attacks anyway.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Def / 8 SpA / 116 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Rotom is another very solid Pokemon in DOU, as its typing along with Levitate give it some key resistances and immunities. Along with Landorus' Intimidate, Rotom is this team's best answer to opposing Landorus, and it usually scares Landorus out under fear of either Will-O-Wisp or Hydro Pump. Rotom is also another very solid check to Heatran, as well as physical attackers like Kangaskhan that don't appreciate getting burned. The Special Defense investment allows Rotom to survive a Solar Beam from 252 Modest Charizard Y 15/16 times, as well as always survive any attack from Mega Kangaskhan with Sitrus Berry.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Hoopa is an incredible and often overlooked asset for Gardevoir teams, as it takes care of Gardevoir's absolute worst matchup: Aegislash. Hoopa is easily the best check to Aegislash in the format, as it doesn't care if Aegislash goes for a King's Shield or puts up a Substitute, Hyperspace Fury drops it no matter what. Hyperspace Hole provides another strong STAB attack, and is generally what you want to click if given a choice since it doesn't have the drawback of lowering Hoopa's already poor defense. Another reason Hoopa is so good on Trick Room teams is its ability to make the most out of Trick Room turns. Both of its attacks break through Protect, so you can't just stall out Trick Room while Hoopa is on the field. It also provides the team with another TR setter, which takes a bit of the load off Gardevoir. Life Orb was chosen to maximize Hoopa's damage output and because it guarantees that Hyperspace Fury OHKOs Aegislash. I'm actually not sure what the EVs do other than maximize attack, but the HP investment gives Hoopa a little bit more bulk while still accentuating its offensive capabilities.

I compiled a few replays of this team being used in various tournaments. Hopefully between the rundown of each Pokemon and a few replays you can get a good idea of how the team works.
MajorBowman vs Psynergy, Summer Seasonal round 4 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-393216726
MajorBowman vs Lohgock, Doubles Open V round 3 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-421574856
MajorBowman vs Braverius, Summer Seasonal round 9 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-410593152
Dawg vs Stax, tournament unknown http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-362934781
Dawg vs Jordeyshiro, Summer Seasonal round 1 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-383631846
Bopper vs Jamesspeed1, Summer Seasonal Winners Finals http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-424999509
Bopper vs Mizuhime, Fall Seasonal round 1 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-doublesou-191453

Thanks for reading! Quick shoutouts to Dawgie for sharing the team with me, SamVGC for letting me be his alt, mrbopper for tearing up the seasonal circuit with me, and Braverius for not knowing what hoopa does.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 28 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 204 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 7 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Def / 8 SpA / 116 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)