Pokkén Tournament

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ngl, I hated the first hour or so of this game and was pretty bummed out. the tutorial was slow as shit and I started with suicune and it just didn't feel right. I moved to blaziken and he was tolerable, but then I started using garchomp and I couldn't stop playing. earthquake and dig are pretty fun to spam against the AI (not as satisfying as blaziken's brave bird tho) and I find his...taunts (dunno what you'd call them, just the way he enters the field and celebrates a win) funny too. I've always really sucked at fighting games that aren't smash bros so getting combos / timing down is really tricky but I guess I'll just work on it..?

I can not wait until they expand the character list, it starts to get really repetitive facing the same things over and over, especially when there are so many viable pokemon that could be added. I'm pretty happy rocking chomp for now since he's basically the face of battle spot singles so I like him and everything, but yeah it'd be nice to have some varied opponents...

Only played a few matches against the CPU but loving Machamp and LibreChu so far. Suicune was too clunky for my liking

That sounds like my opinion of Chandelure. It has far too many full-stop attacks that it clashes with my style. Machamp is similarly clunky too.

Garchomp seems to be my main since for most cases it seems just perfect for my style. It has a lot of mostly fluid attacks that mesh well with moving around. And Dig is way useful for me. I know that it is insanely telegraphed but it's great at closing long distances.

I also enjoyed Pikachu but it's a bit too fragile for my tastes. Braixen is adorable and honestly it's fun to play with. I just got to get good at its combos to really master it. And Gengar was just fun the tiny bit I played with it. With the CPU, I was really able to cheese opponents using Gengar and its hypnosis in the Duel Phase too. It doesn't do that much damage but it's so quick to do that it's very easy to spam until Duel Phase breaks.

Alright, so, for the first hour or so I had no fucking clue what I was doing and I feel like I still don't
But oh my god I love this game
Once I started doing matches with a friend who'd been practising quite a bit longer than me I got so into it. I've been monoing Gardevoir and the battles are so intense; so full of adrenaline - it's legitimately the most fun I've ever had with Pokémon and probably some of the most fun I've had with video games in general. It's so wonderful.

Also Weavile is fuckin broke

Oh yeah, uh, the shop I got it from (Game; main video game retailer in the UK) told me that pre-ordering was the way to get the Shadow Mewtwo Amiibo Card. I pre-ordered but eventually lost my pre-order voucher because I'm a dumbass, but when I went into store today to pick the game up anyway, all the copies on the shelf had the card. Hence I have the card anyway and I really can't complain; this happened to anyone else?

(Also, I thought I could escape the weeb for a while by FE: Fates not being out in the UK for a couple months. One of the first customization items I get through my amiibo; Grey Hair with Cat Ears. Brilliant)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I looked through the Avatar Customization and I'm quite impressed the amount of hair and sets of clothing they have for both genders (the girls have a bit more, but only a handful compared to the double amount of clothes girls got to boys in XY). Probably asking for too much but I hope future main series of games have this amount of customization. They even had facial markings, neckwear, and "glasses" (which also includes nose bandage and masks).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Shovel Knight amiibo counts for the random cosmetics, by the way.

I've been flailing around with various characters, but Gengar seems to be the one that's calling to me the most. Now to get its moves down in my muscle memory and learn to combo.

It would have been nice if they had used the shiny coloring, rather than an "unnatural" one. Although, for the purpose of the alternate coloring, the shiny form probably wouldn't have worked well for Gengar, Pikachu, or Blaziken, but even so, Pokémon do naturally come in two color schemes, already. Oh well. It does look like a fun game, at any rate.

I was definitely hyped for the game from the beginning. Did okay-ish with Gardevoir and Garchomp at first, but all it took was for me to play with Weavile once and my main was picked then and there. It's just so blindingly fast and aggressive that it feels like it was made for me.

Every review I've seen so far has been mostly positive. The only gripe that people have is the small roster which was an issue before the game came out. Hopefully it sells well and spawns a sequel or DLC.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
idk a small roster is good from a competitive standpoint since it means you don't have to learn 50 matchups like in smash 4. Also I'm cool with it since every character has so much personality and looks so damn good. I agree that character DLC would definitely be awesome though

Got the game on realese just after the work and spended all the weekend playing it.

I tried a few pokes (weavile, pikachu and garchomp) before setting for my little prankster girl chandelure. She's so powerful and easy to play (also is a cute chandelier). I'm A rank now with chandy being level 55 and off to the Shadow Mewtwo (obligatory) sidequest.

There are few pokes that give me troubles, mostly the airbones (Charizard and witch Braixen) and Pikachu. The AI is very good to battle just nice level up to Red league, after Shadow Mewtwo sidequest let's see how the Chroma League handles me.

A thing I did, that I really recomend, is to practice against your main in very hard on the practice mode, that way you can see what your pokemon can achieve but most importantly their weakness (for chandelure for example, she's left totally open after a beam attack on field phase, but you need good timing coz the very hard AI just give like a miliseconds long opening)

Also is nice to practice againts the opponents that give you problems (on very hard ofc, you have nothing to lose in practice mode but can win a lot of experience againts specific pokemons). Another important point is to practice every pokemon move in the move dojo, this is to know what the hell the opponent is trying to do (for example gardevoir counter does not look like a counter but rather like a normal move.)

Overall the game is really nice and fun. I will wait to finish story mode before hitting the online.

Also, I have a few questions:
The alternate costume active only in a mirror match or is there a way to change your pokemon apparence at will?

The negative status affect the burst attack? Chandy overheat give her two negative status, and in my experience it does not affect the burst attack but I'm not quite sure.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Alternate costumes are only active in mirror matches. There is nothing you can do to change in a non-ditto match as far as I'm aware.

I do think negative effects do affect burst attacks in my experience - there are some of them that just get a stat increase so it just cancels out negative effects if it happens. Having been hit by Burst Attacks after landing a Will O Wisp, I just get less damage than when I get hit. Good tip for Overheat + Burst, just use Overheat > abuse the super armor and heal with Cresselia (or Espeon) > Burst Attack for massive damage - Overheat does almost the same damage as the Burst Attack so it's p convenient.

The Pokes that do give me trouble, I've found, are those that eat through Chandy's projectiles. As I play very aggressively, I cannot deal with Gardevoir that nicely because I can't pressure with projectiles as well and I can't bait approaches, having to throw blocks in between attacks in order to reposition myself.

Story-wise I finished everything by day two. Your final opponent advises you to go to "Neos City" to continue fighting strong trainers, which is the online mode of the game - I think this was a really nice detail that normally never gets mentioned. Online servers are super lagless from experience as well so unless you have shit internet, practicing against real opponents isn't a bad idea here in terms of practicing strings and performing mindgames (unlike Smash where lag just makes for worst play overall).

Got to buy the game and played against my brother in some sets for the last couple days of spring break, and I had a lot of fun with the game. We noticed that he tended to gravitate toward the Balance Pokémon while I kept picking mostly Power Pokémon.

We were pretty lost with what we could really achieve with our moves initially, but the Tutorials proved to be worth playing through. The Individual Move Tutorials for the Pokes were simple enough, but trying out the Combos were tough to initiate, though that might just be me not having much experience with Pokken inputs. I wish the general tutorials were more conveniently formatted, as they keep moving through each lesson, ignoring whether or not you were able to perform tasks within the time limit.

I'd like to be able to use all the Pokémon eventually, but for now it seems that I'll probably stick with Charizard. Charizard has a useful gliding ability and that super satisfying Seismic Toss going for it. Charizard's looking especially familiar in the Dual Phase, where many of its moves are pretty similar to its Smash Bros. series (and Project M) counterpart, so I've adapted to its playstyle much better than other Pokémon.

Freaking Travis. That is the single worst voice acting in a major release I have ever heard.

Actually, the voice acting in general is iffy at best. Game looks great, shame I don't have a WiiU so I can't play. (Thank God for all the PokeTubers doing day-one LPs.) But the voice acting...my God. They clearly put a ton of effort into the game otherwise, and it's not like Nintendo or whoever's working on this game can't afford quality VAs. What the hell?

Unless a way around it is found or it's patched very quickly, Shadow Mewtwo would probably have to be banned from Evo, right? Because if a way around/patch comes too late then that's a new meta players wouldn't be able to adapt to in time for Evo.

I'm certain it'll be patched once they figure out it exists and work on it. Smash gets constant patches to fix problems like this (where now characters can be vastly different tiers as such) now so why shouldn't Pokken?

I'm certain it'll be patched once they figure out it exists and work on it. Smash gets constant patches to fix problems like this (where now characters can be vastly different tiers as such) now so why shouldn't Pokken?
For one thing, Pokken isn't exactly as big a thing as Smash - both companies involved (those which make Pokemon and those which make Tekken) have their main games to focus on primarily while with Smash, Smash is the main game. Plus with both Smash and Pokémon certain bugs (Lumiose City and Peach's Down B causing bans; remember those?) still took a while to patch out... I'm not doubting there will be patches, just doubting that they'll be quick. I'll be very impressed and happy if they are quick tho.

For one thing, Pokken isn't exactly as big a thing as Smash - both companies involved (those which make Pokemon and those which make Tekken) have their main games to focus on primarily while with Smash, Smash is the main game. Plus with both Smash and Pokémon certain bugs (Lumiose City and Peach's Down B causing bans; remember those?) still took a while to patch out... I'm not doubting there will be patches, just doubting that they'll be quick. I'll be very impressed and happy if they are quick tho.
As Karxrida said, TPCi wants it to be playable alongside VGC. I expect a patch by Regionals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)