SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
More gen 1 stuff is lame but I'm always for catching a Mewtwo tbh
The english tweet (& pretty sure the rest of the interview) also mentioned "other legendary pokemon" so it's not like it is JUST mewtwo.

Or to put it another way Gen 1 can only offer like 4 legendaries tops, so it's not like it'll be that bad.

I'm sifting through the interview and I'll translate then summarize the relevant parts:

What is the Ultra Recon Squad investigating?
They came to Alola to investigate Necrozma. Something happened in their own world and they have a suspicion that the same event will happen in Alola, so they came to investigate that thing.

So the Ultra Hall seems to be a very intriguing element of the game.
Yes, the Ultra Recon Squad came to Alola from their world via Ultra Hall, and by the same token, things other than Ultra Beasts can also come by the same method. Through the Ultra Hall, the player can visit other worlds using a new feature Ultra Warp Ride.
And about the whole "being easier to level up Pokemon", they only mention that it's made easier thanks to Rotopon (O-Powers), rather than it having anything to do with higher level Pokemon in the wild or whatever other ideas that were brought up.

Other than Mewtwo, they neither confirmed nor denied other legendaries being available via Ultra Hall/Wormhole/whatever.

Aside from Mewtwo, do other legendaries appear?
I'll leave that up to your imagination.
They've also added about 100 sub-events into the game.

About the "double scenario" thing, Mr Omori said that including the approximate 100 sub-events mentioned above, the quantity of "scenarios" has roughly doubled. So it's neither cutscenes nor story, but... scenarios.

EDIT: It's past the usual time they release new information, so I'm guessing there isn't any this week.

Last edited:
I'm sifting through the interview and I'll translate then summarize the relevant parts:

And about the whole "being easier to level up Pokemon", they only mention that it's made easier thanks to Rotopon (O-Powers), rather than it having anything to do with higher level Pokemon in the wild or whatever other ideas were brought up.

Other than Mewtwo, they neither confirmed nor denied other legendaries being available via Ultra Hall/Wormhole/whatever.

They've also added about 100 sub-events into the game.

About the "double scenario" thing, Mr Omori said that including the approximate 100 sub-events mentioned above, the quantity of "scenarios" has roughly doubled. So it's neither cutscenes nor story, but... scenarios.

EDIT: It's past the usual time they release new information, so I'm guessing there isn't any this week.
Since both official twitters mentioned encoutnering Mewtwo & other legendary pokemon, I'm guessing that was the information this week. It just didn't get a trailer or an update on the site.

Since both official twitters mentioned encoutnering Mewtwo & other legendary pokemon, I'm guessing that was the information this week. It just didn't get a trailer or an update on the site.
I was kinda disappointed by that as I thought they'd at least show an image on how would the encounters be like.

Shigeru Ohmori has confirmed in an interview with IGN that USUM will be the final main series games to be on the 3DS, according to Serebii. This isn't really surprising with the Switch game, though.

Shigeru Ohmori has confirmed in an interview with IGN that USUM will be the final main series games to be on the 3DS, according to Serebii. This isn't really surprising with the Switch game, though.
That honestly can win the price for the most expected announcement of the last 3 months, seeing they had said months ago that the next "core Pokemon RPG" was in developement for Switch.

So you first have to go to the Ultra Hall which, as it is explained, is an entire structure or ship that has travelled through Ultra Space. After you're there, you can Ultra Warp ride on your box legend. In a way, that's a smart method of organizing it. What should be explained is how often you have to re-visit the Ultra Hall during gameplay.

They did confirm in yet another statement that you can find other legendaries in Ultra Wormholes, but I think it's kind of funny that they didn't do any promotional artwork or announcements for it like in ORAS.

Really wish Serebii would source their shit. Anyways the IGN interview is here. Didn't realise that the team was only 80 people (he said there were 100 in the Famitsu interview, but whatever).

"In terms of the games themselves, Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are probably closest in relationship to Emerald in its relationship to Ruby & Sapphire in terms of the core concept but to give a new experience in surprising some of our players we decided to make two new different versions as if we're making a new game and that way people can still enjoy trading and battling in the same way they do in a new entry."

That's....some form of logic, I guess. Name dropping Emerald seems odd though since the story changes are more in line with Platinum, though.

Name dropping Emerald seems odd though since the story changes are more in line with Platinum, though.
I'd say it has more in common with Emerald than with Platinum - the latter added a section with Giratina and made Cyrus show up earlier and that's it, while Emerald did several changes in events to merge what happened in Ruby and Sapphire.

I'd say it has more in common with Emerald than with Platinum - the latter added a section with Giratina and made Cyrus show up earlier and that's it, while Emerald did several changes in events to merge what happened in Ruby and Sapphire.
Emerald's events was the same as RS' except they alternated who appeared where. The biggest differences were adding the magma hide out for the game's climax and shoving both leaders & box legends into the undersea cavern, then forcing a side trip to rayquaza.

So you first have to go to the Ultra Hall which, as it is explained, is an entire structure or ship that has travelled through Ultra Space. After you're there, you can Ultra Warp ride on your box legend. In a way, that's a smart method of organizing it. What should be explained is how often you have to re-visit the Ultra Hall during gameplay.

They did confirm in yet another statement that you can find other legendaries in Ultra Wormholes, but I think it's kind of funny that they didn't do any promotional artwork or announcements for it like in ORAS.
They likely do not need to considering as I said it's an expected feature and not something new.

In ORAS, the fact that you could get literally every non mythical legendary outside of Mewtwo, the birds and Xerneas/Yveltal, was something new.

Emerald's events was the same as RS' except they alternated who appeared where. The biggest differences were adding the magma hide out for the game's climax and shoving both leaders & box legends into the undersea cavern, then forcing a side trip to rayquaza.
Emerald also had a new champion and gym leader, a different climax from RS altogether, and the invasion of the Mossdeep Space Center. There were also a myriad of other smaller changes, such as the Mirage Tower and Battle Tents, if you just count the changes available during the main story. If you go with what happened after, then in addition to the obvious inclusion of the Battle Frontier, the Underground Pass was expanded upon, where it was basically left unused as a gimmick for the Dig TM in RS, the Safari Zone was expanded, and we actually had optional sidequests for the legendaries. There was also the 'sidequest' to work your way back up the league by encouraging the gym leaders to bring out their best teams for you to fight.

Emerald's story may have been similar to Ruby and Sapphire's, but it was altogether more whole and complete than either.

Emerald also had a new champion and gym leader, a different climax from RS altogether, and the invasion of the Mossdeep Space Center. There were also a myriad of other smaller changes, such as the Mirage Tower and Battle Tents, if you just count the changes available during the main story. If you go with what happened after, then in addition to the obvious inclusion of the Battle Frontier, the Underground Pass was expanded upon, where it was basically left unused as a gimmick for the Dig TM in RS, the Safari Zone was expanded, and we actually had optional sidequests for the legendaries. There was also the 'sidequest' to work your way back up the league by encouraging the gym leaders to bring out their best teams for you to fight.

Emerald's story may have been similar to Ruby and Sapphire's, but it was altogether more whole and complete than either.
I mean
Ok?
Platinum added a bunch of stuff too (& ORAS for that matter). I was talking about the story beats/changes/additions. And what we've seen in USUM feels more in line with Pt than Emerald.

I mean
Ok?
Platinum added a bunch of stuff too (& ORAS for that matter). I was talking about the story beats/changes/additions. And what we've seen in USUM feels more in line with Pt than Emerald.
I mean, he could have said it's like Crystal. That one introduced a brand new character and put the focus on a different legendary.

Really USUM is shaping up to be Platinum mixed with BW2, in terms of having more stuff to do with your pokemon and lots of rick and morty-esque inter-dimensional travel. I can't stop imagining the voice of Rick coming from Solgaleo as it drags a whiney, skittish main character along his wacky adventures in ultra space.

You know, if they are going to put every Legend in their shot at a good game every Gen they should at least guarantee 4-5 perfect IVs like they did with Lance’s Dragonite & whitney’s Miltank. I do not have that kind of time anymore. I still have Pokémon on my OR cart I have yet to reset.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
But then by doing that you lock out more hidden power combinations, three 31 guaranteed on non-breedables is fine and I’d imagine in time people will find ways to rng abuse in this game like they did sumo to simplify the process further. Not to mention we have bottle caps to fix stats so what they should focus on is either drop that lv 100 requirement to 50 or something or introduce a good grinding method/spot to reach that level in a shorter time frame.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What makes it seem unlikely is that Mewtwo is available in both versions, not in only one.
Yeah, that's what I said. The split is not related to version availability at all. It's a chronological listing. The only reason why it's in two columns is because of the layout. Gen I to II to III - to - whoops, reached end of page, better start a new column from the top - Gen IV to V to VI. And the Necrozma formes at the top, to give them top billing since it's their games, after all.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
But then by doing that you lock out more hidden power combinations, three 31 guaranteed on non-breedables is fine and I’d imagine in time people will find ways to rng abuse in this game like they did sumo to simplify the process further. Not to mention we have bottle caps to fix stats so what they should focus on is either drop that lv 100 requirement to 50 or something or introduce a good grinding method/spot to reach that level in a shorter time frame.
Solution: Change how Hidden Power works, or at least give the option to change the type of Hidden Power.

I think at this point GF should really be providing a way to mitigate IVs. I get why they exist, and they have done work to make them less of an issue, though I think instead of slowly adding in more ways to make them an non-issue they should just go all the way:

1a. Make it easier to obtain Bottle Caps or whatever is needed to Hyper Train.
1b. Add in option that when Hyper Training Speed you can set Speed to 0 IVs.
2a. Have hatched Pokemon inherit the highest IV between their parents (except for Speed). For all stats but Speed, if not 31 than the number is the min cap and it can go higher than its parent. For Speed, if not at 31 or 0, Speed is still random
2b. The stat specific EV-enhancing items auto set a stat to 31. Macho Brace will set Speed to 0.
2c. Destiny Knot changed so that it'll give the child the Ability of the parent holding if it can (if parent's Ability is a Hidden Ability that'll be the Ability it'll get even if the Hidden Ability aren't the same).
3. Hidden Power can initially start off using IVs, but then there's someone in the game that can change its typing (and maybe also make it either a Special or Physical move, maybe a secondary effect of aiming for the other defense stat). That way we can get a Fairy-type Hidden Power too (and Physical Pokemon can get Hidden Power coverage options, as well as maybe all Pokemon getting someway to hit the defense stat they normally wouldn't be able to).
4. Legendary Pokemon, Event Pokemon, and maybe in-game trade Pokemon have their IVs set so that their optimized. 31 all stats except for slow Pokemon who could either be 31 or 0 (so for them their may be still some resetting). If still concerned with Hidden Power, maybe have the lowest stat that isn't Speed be left to random.

Back on topic, so is the entire Pokemon world is in danger of Necrozma or just Alola? They keep talking about Necrozma stealing Alola's light but it said it stole all the light of the Ultra Recon Squad's world. So can it just steal light in a specific area, they're just quoting what ancient Alola legends said everyone knowing it's all the Pokemon world's light in danger, or are they actually going to try to have this be a plot twist where we only thought Alola was in danger but its actually all of the Pokemon World.

I see no reason for Gamefreak to make getting Pokemon with perfect IVs (or pokemon with perfect IV treatment) any easier. The Bottle Caps exist as an out to not having to spend an exponentially greater time breeding for good mons versus just maximizing its level, it's not and really shouldn't be a mainline for creating competitive pokes.

If they find more methods to make Bottle Caps obtainable, then that's one thing. Making optimal stats super tangible would take the reward out of exploring the technical side of teambuilding.

Hypertrain can definitely be expanded (expecially about the possibility of pushing a 0 IV instead of 31).

Hidden power swapping for Legendaryes or in general non breedable could be a good thing to introduce, though. It's stupidly tedious to obtain one with a specific IV, and again, you are locked into 1 (or a few more) per save.

But then, a way to "freely change legendaryes nature/IVs" even purely for online battling purpose has been in demand for a while, sadly with no response so far.

It's definitely a "wishlist material" issue, but some method to do so for future gens would greatly reduce the need of using cheating devices to alter nature/Ivs of non breedables for competitive play on cartridge.

Back on topic, so is the entire Pokemon world is in danger of Necrozma or just Alola? They keep talking about Necrozma stealing Alola's light but it said it stole all the light of the Ultra Recon Squad's world. So can it just steal light in a specific area, they're just quoting what ancient Alola legends said everyone knowing it's all the Pokemon world's light in danger, or are they actually going to try to have this be a plot twist where we only thought Alola was in danger but its actually all of the Pokemon World.
I would say it's the entire world, given that Ultra Hall gives you access to different worlds, i.e. Necrozma can also freely travel between worlds, unless they have some specific mechanic to keep Necrozma out of there. They say there was some kind of omen to indicate that Alola would be targeted next, so perhaps they're just trying to stop Necrozma before it moves on to another world (region) after Alola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)