Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Then why do we have to test everything?
I don't know much about how datamining is done, but I'd imagine that doing it won't just let you know everything about how mechanics work. Like I'm fairly certain you won't find lines of code formatted like "If [Pokemon] is burned, attack is halved". Like sure it may be possible to read which lines of code relates to how certain mechanics work, but I doubt it's easier or accurate at all to read lines of code to find out how mechanics work than it is to test it manually.

I don't see these implemented on the sim, but I wanted to check because the sources I've seen can't be considered reliable:
  • When Shields Down transforms Minior to Meteor forme, it is completely immune to status, even ignoring Mold Breaker
  • Immunity to status includes blocking drowsiness from Yawn.
Can anyone confirm these?

I don't see these implemented on the sim, but I wanted to check because the sources I've seen can't be considered reliable:
  • When Shields Down transforms Minior to Meteor forme, it is completely immune to status, even ignoring Mold Breaker
Both statements are true according to Bulbapedia, but Bulbapedia might not be reliable enough.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Tested it on Cart (Battle Video code: MC9W-WWWW-WWW7-U2MN). Shields Down does indeed protect Minior-Meteor from Mold Breaker Status and drowsiness from Yawn.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I remember that there was a thread like this for XY and maybe another one for BW. Can someone link me to those two threads?

What happens if Oranguru Instructs Slaking (or Durant), both on a normal and on a "Truant" turn?

If Oranguru instructs a Pokémon holding a Metronome, does the power of its move increase?

If Oranguru instructs a Pokémon that used Assurance, does the second hit double in power?

Can someone test if Solar Blade in the sun gets redirected by Follow Me? It doesn't seem to in PS.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-611107334 <- The discovery
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-611108408 <- Proving it is Solar Blade
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-611109036 <- Mishiimono wanting to win
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-612927407 <- Proving it only happens in sun.

Tagging Mishimono and Z strats since they figured out it was and I still don't know if mish mish figured it out yet.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Follow Me doesn't redirect moves with a charge turn like Fly or Solar Beam normally I'm pretty sure. Just test if Solar Blade is working the same as Solar Beam in and out of sun. Should be the same.

Someone figured out what the mystery move flag in gens 6 and 7 does. The flag indicates whether the move's battle animation will play if the move is used on an ally in battle. Moves with the flag play the animation, and moves without the flag do not. Many of the moves with the flag are moves known by wild Pokémon that attack each other in horde battles (Seviper/Zangoose, etc).

Credit for the find goes to SnorlaxMonster, who posted about it in a comment on veekun's dev blog:
SnorlaxMonster said:
Regarding the move animation flag, I figured out what it was because I normally test game mechanics in Double Battles by using moves on allies. There is an Ability that doesn't activate when the move is used by an ally (Defiant), but I had forgotten to actually check that, so when I came across a move that didn't activate it when used on an ally, I (incorrectly) assumed that different moves interacted with it differently.

Since I knew there was flag whose purpose was still unknown, I tried a bunch of moves to see if it influenced how they interacted with the Ability. As it turns out, they all work the same way (because that's how the Ability works), but I accidentally noticed that whether or not the move animation played varied with that flag. From there I just tested moves that did and didn't have the flag to see if they played the animation against allies.
Obviously this discovery will change the entire metagame and I expect it to be implemented in Showdown ASAP :P

Follow Me doesn't redirect moves with a charge turn like Fly or Solar Beam normally I'm pretty sure. Just test if Solar Blade is working the same as Solar Beam in and out of sun. Should be the same.
It's not. Solar Blade doesn't get redirected by Follow Me in the sun, but Solar Beam does.

Someone figured out what the mystery move flag in gens 6 and 7 does. The flag indicates whether the move's battle animation will play if the move is used on an ally in battle. Moves with the flag play the animation, and moves without the flag do not. Many of the moves with the flag are moves known by wild Pokémon that attack each other in horde battles (Seviper/Zangoose, etc).

Credit for the find goes to SnorlaxMonster, who posted about it in a comment on veekun's dev blog:

Obviously this discovery will change the entire metagame and I expect it to be implemented in Showdown ASAP :P
I probably should have posted this in here back in March when I realized that's what it was for, instead of just tweeting about it. Oops.

If I can insert one slight clarification: Moves that always target allies (or the user or an ally in the case of Acupressure) don't need the flag. It's only used on moves that can target either an opponent or an ally.

Also, it's worth noting that it seems like all of the moves that only had the flag in Gen 6 due to ally-attacking Pokémon in Horde Encounters had it removed in Gen 7, except Odor Sleuth (probably an oversight due to being a status move). The only other move that had it removed between the generations was Eerie Impulse, but there doesn't seem to be much consistency in which stat-lowering moves have it.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Can someone test if Solar Blade in the sun gets redirected by Follow Me? It doesn't seem to in PS.
Two-turn moves (besides Sky Drop) actually do get redirected on the second turn, or the first turn if the move ends up taking one turn. I fixed this on PS last year, but Solar Blade didn't exist yet so it wasn't included it in the weather check. Should be fixed next restart, thanks for the report!

In Gen 6, the games changed a move's type in this order: listed move type -> moves that call other moves use the new move instead -> Normalize changes the move to Normal -> moves now change type (Hidden Power/Judgment/Natural Gift/Techno Blast/Weather Ball) -> if the move is unchanged and still Normal (i.e. not Natural Gift with Chilan Berry), Aerilate/Pixilate/Refrigerate change it to Flying/Fairy/Ice -> if the move is Normal, Ion Deluge changes to Electric -> Electrify changes the move to Electric -> Protean activates -> Gems activate if the Gem matches the move type.
This isn't a good description of how it works in Gen 6. Even if you use Judgment/Techno Blast or Weather Ball with no held Plate/Drive or in neutral weather, its type will not be changed by Aerilate/Pixilate/Refrigerate. This description gives the impression that its possible to change the types of these moves (other than Natural Gift) with Abilities as long as they would otherwise be Normal-type.

Gen 6 battle video: QYQW-WWWW-WW5G-QQD9
(The start demonstrates Aerialate with Normal-type Judgment/Techno Blast/Weather Ball, the end demonstrates Normalize with Fire-type Judgment/Weather Ball.)

Gen 7 works the same way, but I don't have a battle video.

Reactions: fsk

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Does Serene Grace affects King's Rock and Razor Fang's chance of flinching the opponent ?

I'm somewhat confident that this is not the way it currently works on showdown since I've seen ppl use serene grace king's rock beat up to decent success.
King's Rock Beat Up has a pretty nice chance of flinching, of around 47% if all Pokemon can attack (as only one check needs to pass to flinch).

A similar logic goes with King's Rock + Skill Link (unless you are me, as my Cloyster failed to flinch even once in an entire tournament on cartridge with that combination)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)