Pokemon Gold and Silver 3DS Virtual Console: Back to the Future 2(000)!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
GS really needed more differentiation between high encounter & low encounter trees. Would it have killed them to make low encounter spearows like level 11 or something because i have no idea if RNG is having the tree im hitting be one or the other & Spearow is so common in both you won't really know until you happen upon a heracross
My friend was searching for Pineco for four hours before finally giving up. I can understand the Headbutt Frustration. At least for Pineco if you hit a Kakuna/Metapod you know it's not that tree, but even then its a total crapshoot. 10% of the time on a tree which can spawn a mon you get Pineco 30% of the time... I'm not sure why Headbutt mechanics were so bad.

In any case, I am lv 23 across the board atm with Miltank, Bayleef, Ariados, Pidgeotto and Quagsire. Not sure what to add as my 6th atm, but I am leaning towards Magnemite cause I can't really fit anything else.

Related: I managed to breed Leech Seed Bayleef and it has been doing some serious work with Reflect and Poison Powder vs Tougher foes. It's been good. Shame that the first Hoppip I found must have accidentally triggered the Family check because after 4 hours of walking around Goldenrod I had no eggs even though they said they were interested in each other. A friend traded me a male Hoppip from his game and in less than 100 steps I had an egg... No words can describe how irritated I was! I have since left my original Bayleef and Skiploom in the daycare to see if they ever actually spawn an egg.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hold Down, Select and B simultaneously at the title screen.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-the-future-2-000.3615482/page-3#post-7522267

If that app doesn't work try this one http://www.filb.de/pwf/
Quoting myself has anyone tried this and not had it work? This is getting ridiculous no matter what I try (different money quantities, random spaces in my name) I get wrong password. My in-game name is Nex so idk if that length is messing it up (I have been using the correct capitalization in the programs).

DHR-107 Different Species and different Trainer-ID increases the chances much more than Different Species and same Trainer-ID

Quoting myself has anyone tried this and not had it work? This is getting ridiculous no matter what I try (different money quantities, random spaces in my name) I get wrong password. My in-game name is Nex so idk if that length is messing it up (I have been using the correct capitalization in the programs).
Can you give us your name and complete ID? I want to se if I get a different result than you.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can you give us your name and complete ID? I want to se if I get a different result than you.
Thanks but I already had other people check for me they got similar results, some different, but none worked I was curious if anyone else had the same problem or if they got it to work and were using a trainer name as short or shorter than mine

did you use the x key or the multiplication symbol key
i dont even know if the multiplication symbol key is in gsc, i know its in rby tho
(maybe its not "multiplication symbol" but i know theres two forms of x in rby)

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
Should be the "x" key but I'll try the multiplication symbol and see if it's that. Didn't think about that but maybe i hit it accidentally while making my name.

If your time password calculator doesn't have support for inputting an F1 character, just use the regular "x" but then add 58 to whatever number it spits out in the end.

If you send a Pokemon holding an item from Gen 2 to Gen 1, then send them back to Gen 2, they're still holding the item. The question is, do they then evolve upon arriving back in Gen 2? I'm guessing the answer is no (as then you'd be inside the Time Capsule with a Gen 2 Pokemon, which is supposed to be impossible). But do regular trade evolutions work?

Question, if I manage to chain breed a male chikorita with leech seed can I then breed with a shiny ditto for 1/64 odds with that egg move passed down?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
If you send a Pokemon holding an item from Gen 2 to Gen 1, then send them back to Gen 2, they're still holding the item. The question is, do they then evolve upon arriving back in Gen 2? I'm guessing the answer is no (as then you'd be inside the Time Capsule with a Gen 2 Pokemon, which is supposed to be impossible). But do regular trade evolutions work?
Regular trade evolutions do (Golem, Machamp, Alakazam, Gengar), but while I don't believe that Gen II evolutions work (since during the actual trade the Gen II game acts as a Gen I game, not the other way around), I can't say they don't with 100% certainty.

You can actually get Gen II pokemon into the time capsule, by using the Gen II glitchmon ????? (FF). When you trade these Gen II pokemon over to Gen I they become glitchmons, occasionally ones that you can't obtain otherwise in Gen I. For example Steelix becomes the glitchmon 'Ng'Mp in R/B, and PKMN in Yellow.

New generation whiners. Kids these days want everything handed to them on a plate. Why even bother playing a game, just go watch a movie. I love that certain Pokemon are very rare and require you to actually almost finish the game to capture - makes them feel more special and gives post game content. There are more than enough Pokemon to catch during the game. I like that some Pokemon take forever to encounter.
GSC is my favourite gen, I still remember my level 83 Arcanine leveling up on LV 10ish Pidgeys and jank and getting a stat increase of 18. I was like wtf? It's usually 2 or 3. I proceeded to destroy all the other kids with my hard leveled ev trained Pokemon. I'd sit back and battle myself in prolonged switch fests with 2 Gameboys and a link cable, writing down damage and what could counter what.
I wont be getting Sun and Moon 2, after 20 years I've finally had it with the series, just more of the same and Festival Plaza is garbage. GSC forever!

In theory, yes, against Rockets. However, the Poisons in this game aren't particularly strong enough to do serious damage to the Chikorita line. And Headbutt (later Body Slam) deal with most Poisons save the Koffing line (the Rocket Executive who's impersonating the Radio Tower Director being a prime example of a bad MU)
Chikorita is hands down the worst starter. The first gym is flying. Totodile is probably the best, gives you an easy surf mon.
But Chikorita is definitely the worst, it is known.

MOD EDIT: Posts merged. Next time, use the "Edit" button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got Silver the day it came out, but because of school and other stuff the progress is slowly but steady. Just got the 6th badge and 5/6 of my team is complete.

Sol Ring / Poison Ivy / Hercules / Anglerfish / Psyclone / Ice Tuskus(still missing)

This is the team so far and most have been pretty good. Sol Ring is kinda meh, but not bad and after babysiting Psyclone till it evolved it become good with Sharp Peak. Hercules is the king obviously and Anglerfish is also super good. Poison Ivy was incredible till now. Sleep Powder + Growth and a reliable STAB move really early on made it fantastic and its typing helped alot with early game stuff. A shame that it has to wait till I get to Bills grandfather to evolve though :/. Ice Tuskus will be the last member on the team and it hurts that its movepool is so bad in gen 2 but I just always loved this guy. I got most things planed out on how the run is going down the road: Tpunch and Earthquake for Sol Ring when it evolves, Sludge Bomb for Poison Ivy, Thunder and Waterfall for Anglerfish, Thief for Psyclone and Blizzard and Earthquake for Ice Tuskus(I clone the TMs).

Things that I loved so far again:
- This game has the best caves period. Ruins of Alph, Union Cave, Slowpoke Well, Mt. Mortar, Dark Cave, Whirl Islands and Mt. Silver. Legit ALL caves have some secret that is worth coming back in them. From special rare pokemon to rare items. I hit never the point where I thought to myself: "Well another boring cave to rush through". No other gen does this better imo.
- The Week Siblings: Didnt really see much in them back in 2000 but I accually appreciate the affort to make them all conected instead of insolated NPCs.
- NPC Dialog: Almost all non-Trainers have something usefull to say which is nice world building.
- Your rival <3

Also fuck Snubull. It refused to show up for 2 days! Hercules was a piece of cake compared to Snubull.

Alright Smogon, this is a follow-up post to my post from page 1
I encountered this shiny Ho-Oh after soft-resetting roughly 4000 times over the last 5 days.
As promised, I will dedicate this Ho-Oh to the community by hosting a big Giveaway once transferring it is possible.
I hope you guys and girls are looking forward to it!

{#250 - Max. Optimizer's Fenikkusu}

IVs: ?/?/?/?/?/? - Adamant\Regenerator (Ø) - Chris\64053 ‹

Ev'd: Brave Bird, Sacred Fire, Earthquake, Recover
[248 HP / 184 Atk / 52 SpD / 26 Spe]
I caught this Pokémon with a Master Ball at the peak of the Tin Tower on my Pokémon Gold version for the Virtual Console.
Since ball types are not retained in Generation 1 and 2 games, its ball became a regular Pokéball after transferring it to Generation 7 via Poké Transport.
The Ho-Oh from the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Gold and Silver, released on the 22nd of September 2017, is the only legal Ho-Oh that can simultaneously be shiny and have its Hidden Ability.
This Pokémon was soft-resetted manually: this means that no tools (such as e.g. PKMN-NTR bots or Lua scripts) or glitches were involved in the hunt for this Pokémon.
The odds of encountering a shiny Pokémon are 1/8192 in Generation 2 games.
I started soft-resetting on the 22nd of September 2017 and I finally encountered the shiny Ho-Oh on the 26th of September 2017 after soft-resetting for 5 days.
I referred to this "Exp. Points ↔ Nature" table (courtesy of TheMantyke) to assure an Adamant nature for it.

Fenikkusu is the rōmaji transcription of フェニックス (Phoenix).

If you wish to see proof in the form of screenshots, please click on the following links:
I know I'm very late to this.... But, I myself am trying to soft reset for a Shiny Ho-Oh. First off, I gotta say congratulations on that find.

Second.... How did you not go completely bonkers doing this? Like, I've just been at it for 3 days. And it's pretty annoying. Like, I'm watching Youtube videos on the side. But what kept you motivated? I keep feeling like I'm NEVER gonna find this Ho-Oh. Is there a way to keep the mindset that "Yes, I will eventually find this Shiny"?

Also, how long per day did you reset for? All day, and a good portion of the night? Or something more reasonable than that?

Last edited:
I got Silver the day it came out, but because of school and other stuff the progress is slowly but steady. Just got the 6th badge and 5/6 of my team is complete.

Sol Ring / Poison Ivy / Hercules / Anglerfish / Psyclone / Ice Tuskus(still missing)

This is the team so far and most have been pretty good. Sol Ring is kinda meh, but not bad and after babysiting Psyclone till it evolved it become good with Sharp Peak. Hercules is the king obviously and Anglerfish is also super good. Poison Ivy was incredible till now. Sleep Powder + Growth and a reliable STAB move really early on made it fantastic and its typing helped alot with early game stuff. A shame that it has to wait till I get to Bills grandfather to evolve though :/. Ice Tuskus will be the last member on the team and it hurts that its movepool is so bad in gen 2 but I just always loved this guy. I got most things planed out on how the run is going down the road: Tpunch and Earthquake for Sol Ring when it evolves, Sludge Bomb for Poison Ivy, Thunder and Waterfall for Anglerfish, Thief for Psyclone and Blizzard and Earthquake for Ice Tuskus(I clone the TMs).

Things that I loved so far again:
- This game has the best caves period. Ruins of Alph, Union Cave, Slowpoke Well, Mt. Mortar, Dark Cave, Whirl Islands and Mt. Silver. Legit ALL caves have some secret that is worth coming back in them. From special rare pokemon to rare items. I hit never the point where I thought to myself: "Well another boring cave to rush through". No other gen does this better imo.
- The Week Siblings: Didnt really see much in them back in 2000 but I accually appreciate the affort to make them all conected instead of insolated NPCs.
- NPC Dialog: Almost all non-Trainers have something usefull to say which is nice world building.
- Your rival <3

Also fuck Snubull. It refused to show up for 2 days! Hercules was a piece of cake compared to Snubull.
So somehow we're supposed to guess which Pokémon you used just by their nicknames?

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know I'm very late to this.... But, I myself am trying to soft reset for a Shiny Ho-Oh. First off, I gotta say congratulations on that find.

Second.... How did you not go completely bonkers doing this? Like, I've just been at it for 3 days. And it's pretty annoying. Like, I'm watching Youtube videos on the side. But what kept you motivated? I keep feeling like I'm NEVER gonna find this Ho-Oh. Is there a way to keep the mindset that "Yes, I will eventually find this Shiny"?
First of all, thank you for your congratulations!

Retrospectively I'd say that I managed to maintain my motivation for various reasons:
  1. Some of my fellow users here can confirm that I'm a very ambitious, patient and persistent person. Ambition, patience and persistence are in my opinion the most crucial necessary prerequisites.
  2. I've soft-resetted for a shiny Type: Null earlier this year, so I already knew from the very beginning what I was getting myself into.
  3. While I do collect these prestigious Pokémon for my private collection on one hand, I also host Giveaways here on Smogon where I share them with my fellow users on the other hand. In this sense, the will to contribute to this community has been a notable part of my driving force. Knowing that I can incentivize communication and trading among members in the Wi-Fi section makes it worth it for me.
  4. I only play Pokémon, which means I don't own any other video games or consoles besides the Game Boys and DS'.
  5. Also yes, I can highly recommend that you do other things while soft-resetting. I for example revised my Spanish courses from my last university semester and I already started reading the course books of my upcoming semester as well. That way I efficiently worked on various projects simultaneously. In addition to this I also watched YouTube videos in the evenings, listened to music and chatted with a couple fellow traders and collectors (people like my friend Kanon90 for example, who encountered his shiny Lugia shortly after I encountered my shiny Ho-Oh). Ultimately I just did my regular daily routine and the soft-resetting was more of a secondary matter.
  6. I honestly didn't keep track of how long I soft-resetted per day, I took breaks in between.
I welcome the opportunity to wish you (and of course also everybody else that might be planning on doing a similar project) lots of luck and perseverance with the hunts! Good luck!

Last edited:
First of all, thank you for your congratulations!

Retrospectively I'd say that I managed to maintain my motivation for various reasons:
  1. Some of my fellow users here can confirm that I'm a very ambitious, patient and persistent person. Ambition, patience and persistence are in my opinion the most crucial necessary prerequisites.
  2. I've soft-resetted for a shiny Type: Null earlier this year, so I already knew from the very beginning what I was getting myself into.
  3. While I do collect these prestigious Pokémon for my private collection on one hand, I also host Giveaways here on Smogon where I share them with my fellow users on the other hand. In this sense, the will to contribute to this community has been a notable part of my driving force. Knowing that I can incentivize communication and trading among members in the Wi-Fi section makes it worth it for me.
  4. I only play Pokémon, which means I don't own any other video games or consoles besides the Game Boys and DS'.
  5. Also yes, I can highly recommend that you do other things while soft-resetting. I for example revised my Spanish courses from my last university semester and I already started reading the course books of my upcoming semester as well. That way I efficiently worked on various projects simultaneously. In addition to this I also watched YouTube videos in the evenings, listened to music and chatted with a couple fellow traders and collectors (people like my friend Kanon90 for example, who encountered his shiny Lugia shortly after I encountered my shiny Ho-Oh). Ultimately I just did my regular daily routine and the soft-resetting was more of a secondary matter.
  6. I honestly didn't keep track of how long I soft-resetted per day, I took breaks in between.
I welcome the opportunity to wish you (and of course also everybody else that might be planning on doing a similar project) lots of luck and perseverance with the hunts! Good luck!
Ah, thank you very much for the response. I'll keep going for awhile longer... hopefully, I'll be able to get it soon. Though if it does take too long.... I might go back to playing the game like normal. And beat the Elite 4/Kanto. But, I do want to try my hardest for this. I've always wanted a legit Shiny Legendary.

Okay so, remember how I was Shiny Hunting for Ho-Oh?

I finally found it. I'm probably never doing a Shiny hunt on that level again.... But, I finally have a legit Shiny Legendary that I got on my own, rather than with an event (now watch Gamefreak release a Shiny Ho-Oh event). Now I just need to learn how to make it Adamant Nature when I transfer it.... When that's available. But for now, I can finally get back to playing the game like normal.

Okay so, remember how I was Shiny Hunting for Ho-Oh?

I finally found it. I'm probably never doing a Shiny hunt on that level again.... But, I finally have a legit Shiny Legendary that I got on my own, rather than with an event (now watch Gamefreak release a Shiny Ho-Oh event). Now I just need to learn how to make it Adamant Nature when I transfer it.... When that's available. But for now, I can finally get back to playing the game like normal.
Congratz mate and welcome to the club :)
To be honest I didn't find it that challenging in the sense that is a process that can be done like for example while watching TV or something so it goes by fast. First time also with these kind of odds(1/8192 approx) but turned out all right :)

My lord Heracross and Pineco are annoying to find. I've been working on catching everything I can in Gold without trading and these 2 are most definitely the most troublesome. I was headbutting a tree on Route 33 for three hours and still couldn't get a Heracross to show up. The tree was producing less encounters than the only other one on the route, so I assumed it was the correct one.

I won't be able to get all the stone evolutions without trading either thanks to there only being 1 stone of Leaf, Thunder, Fire and Water in the games. Leveling up isn't a problem thanks to the clone glitch and rare candies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)