SM OU Pelipper + Rain Abusers

pelipperer.png
kingdra.png
tapu koko.gif
mega swampert.png
tornadus t.png
ferrothorn.png

So I made this rain team and at first it worked very well for me, but recently it's been losing a lot, mostly to other weather teams and particularly to Charizard-Mega Y. Please tell me how to improve this team and help me turn my losing streak around.
Now the team consists of:
pelipperer.png

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost

Pelipper is my lead, being the best rain setter in the game. Pelipper's good defenses and horrible speed allow it to easily take a hit before U-turning out into one of my other Pokemon.It also carries Roost, which allows it to recover health, which it needs if it is to keep setting up rain later in the battle.
Overall, Pelipper is here to set up rain and then bring in another team member without them taking unnecessary damage.
P.s I couldn't get defog on my Pelipper, so i went with Scald for that moveslot.

kingdra.png

Kingdra @ Scope Lens
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Energy
- Ice Beam

Kingra is one of the best rain abusers in the game, which makes it perfect for this team. Its Atk and SpA stats are the same, and opponents may not know if it's a special or physical Kingdra until it's too late.
Scope Lens + Focus Energy result in an infuriating 100% crit chance, which results in MASSIVE damage every hit.
Overall, Kingdra is here to take advantage of the rain and...that's it really. Then again, that's what the whole team does.

tapu koko.gif

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: SpA 252 / SpD 4 / Spe 252
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Ice

Tapu Koko is another great rain abuser with massive offensive stats. This set gives many boosts to Thunder and allows Tapu Koko to deal massive damage to targets who don't resist it.
Overall, Tapu Koko is here because of its massive offensive stats and...rain. and Thunder.

mega swampert.png

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm

Swampert-Mega is here because of swift swim and its massive Atk stat, as well as its high defensive stats and HP. The best thing about Swampert-Mega is that i can almost always switch it in without taking much damage. Unless my opponent predicts me and uses a grass type move. That would really suck.
Overall, Swampert-Mega is here because of its Bulk and Atk (and Spe if rain is up).
P.s I couldn't get my hands on a good Swampert with Ice Punch so I had to replace that with Hammer Arm.

tornadus t.png

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave

Tornadus-T is here because of a combination of good offensive and defensive stats, as well as a massive speed stat. Its ability Regenerator combined with U-turn allow it to switch in and out with one of the other team members and easily regain its health while doing damage in the process.Also, Hurricane can't miss in rain, which makes Tornadus-T that much stronger.

ferrothorn.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

So Ferrothorn is here to set hazards midgame, after the rain has worn off. Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball is also a huge threat to fast pokemon who can't OHKO it thanks to its defensive stats, and Power Whip can deal with opponents whom resist Gyro Ball or are too slow for it to deal much damage. Ferrothorn can also chip away at the health of opposing pokemon with leech seed and iron barbs while regaining its health in the process.

================================================================================================================================
So that's my team. Please leave your thoughts down below and help me turn my losing streak back around.
Thanks,
IceFire
================================================================================================================================

Attachments

thanks, but there are a few problems with your
This is a pretty standard rain team, here are a few changes:

1. Change Pelippers EVs and nature to 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD - Bold Nature

The given EV spread and nature allow Pelipper to tank a Supersonic Skystrike from Landorus-T and avoid the 2HKO from Choice Scarf Keldeo's Hydro Pump. And also swap Hurricane for Defog since you have no other defoggers in your team, and it's extremely useful, especially since you tend to set up your hazards mid-game.

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 32+ Def Pelipper: 273-322 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 228 SpD Pelipper in Rain: 135-160 (41.7 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

2. Change Spikes to Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn. As satisfying as it is to set up layers of Spikes, Stealth Rock is more useful 90% of the time. Alternatively, you can switch Hammer Arm for Stealth Rock on your Swampert since you aren't accessible to Move Tutors for Ice Punch. You can also change Leech Seed for Spikes on Ferro for both hazards.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

3. I recommend you try out Specs Kingdra instead of Scope Lens. The reason Focus Energy Kingdra isn't very viable is because Kingdra is a Pokemon that can't afford to waste a turn under rain in order to take advantage of Swift Swim, and maximum Special Attack investment combined with a Modest nature and Choice Specs enables Kingdra to hit as hard as possible, allowing it to neutrally OHKO a lot of the meta-game with Hydro Pump.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini in Rain: 143-168 (41.6 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele in Rain: 316-373 (112.4 - 132.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(316, 321, 324, 328, 331, 336, 339, 343, 346, 351, 354, 358, 361, 366, 369, 373)

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Regarding your question, the only way to deal with other weather teams is by getting rid of the weather setter as quick as possible, whilst keeping Pelipper as healthy as possible, and it usually takes a few predictions and outplays, so just remember to think of what you would've done in your opponent's shoes and act accordingly.

Good luck
there are a few problems with your suggestions.
1.I cant find a way to teach Pelipper Defog, since it can't learn the move in gen 7 and I don't have any gen 4 games, nor am I willing to buy them for the sole purpose of having a Pelipper with Defog. So that's a bit of a problem.

2.Getting Stealth Rock on my Ferrothorn isn't that big of a problem, but I can't get it on Swampert, since I don't have acess to gen 5 games either.

3.About the last suggestion...if i'm going up against a sandstorm weather team I can usually take out the weather setter easily with Pelipper and Swampert, but on Drought teams, the weather setter is usually Charizard-Mega Y, which is a problem because Drought will only activate after it mega evolves, replacing the rain. But the biggest problem facing Charizard-Mega Y is that I can't take it out with Swampert-Mega, since without rain it is outsped by Charizard-Mega Y, which always carries Solar Beam.

P.s it's really hard for me to breed for nature anyway.

If you can find a way to help me get past these problems, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
IceFire

Last edited:
Here's a way around your problem, why don't you just use PKHex. As long as you're not making illegal movesets you're not cheating. Stop wasting your time breeding, it's boring as hell.
I would agree that PKHex is the more efficient method, but don't pretend it's not cheating. You're using an outside, non-Nintendo approved source to modify game data. That is definitionally cheating.

It's up to IceFir3 whether or not s/he wants to use PKHex. It's not up to me to decide what s/he should do. But don't pretend it's not cheating. Don't fool yourself. People get banned from Nintendo tournaments if they're caught doing this, after all.

Hi man I'll try to help you. Imo tornadus therian is pretty bad in SM OU even in rain teams, so just replace it by another mon like zapdos agility+Z move thunderbolt which is great in the current metagame, also tornadus therian is a free switch in for charizard Y indeed hurricane in sun has a 50% accuracy.
If you chose that option you can replace Tapu Koko by another rain abuser, named Ash Gren. Your kingdra's set is pretty funny but not effective in SM OU, so you can replace it by a landorus therian Z fly which is great or a defensive landorus therian if you chose Agility Z thunderbolt Zapdos. Indeed man stealth roc is required in SM OU and ORAS OU and BW OU and DPP OU LOL. Play the smogon set of pelliper is also a good idea or you can play a scarf pelliper which is really cool. Your M Swampert's set is bad, play the standard set.
Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Pelipper @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 24 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Pressure
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Agility
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave

Thank you for reading and see ya !!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)