Battle Spot P I N K ピンク

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

P I N K ピンク

A while back I got bored / stuck with teambuilding so I worked my way out of it by trying out some gimmicks and more fun stuff. After seeing Nelson Tangela's Johto Classic RMT I figured colour-themed teams would be fun for a bit so I went for the most ~ a e s t h e t i c colour and tried to see what I could come up with. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of viable pinkmons, especially those that can work together, so this isn't my best team, but it's done well and I've really enjoyed using it!

Teambuilding Process:
To be honest, I didn't think too long and hard here. I literally just referred to a list I made of viable pinkmons and tried to pick 6 that I thought could work.

Around the same time I built this I was looking into some Japanese Mega Lopunny teams because it looked like a cool anti-meta option, it bops a bunch of BSS's top threats like Mega Kangaskhan, Aegislash, Mega Gengar, Greninja, Mamoswine, Ferrothorn and Porygon2. However it's frail as hell and hates Talonflame, Blaziken, and Mach Punch things

There really weren't a lot of bulky/defensive pinkmons so I was basically forced into using Cofagrigus but damn I love it now. Anything that walls the hell out of Mega Kangaskhan is good in my books.

I can't remember the exact reason I chose Sharpedo at this stage apart from me just liking it. My first BSS team in XY had a special attacking Sharpedo which did really well, I hadn't used it since then so I thought it was time to bring it back. It doesn't provide any synergy at all but it can either lead and get me into a position where Lopunny cleans up or does the cleaning itself.

GengaFett PerishTrap was something I had already used and had success with on other teams so with the limited options I had left I figured I'd slot it in again

I felt the team was pretty frail and Porygon2 has never let me down in patching up that weakness before so it got slapped on at the end. Biggest issue is I can't decide whether shiny or non-shiny fits better lol. Since regular Gengar is that bluey-purple colour at team preview I like shiny p2 as it balances it out

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute

Pretty straight-forward here; STABs + Fake Out for damage, Sub for avoiding those wisps and outskilling Aegislash users. Just enough speed for Mega Gengar so there's some EVs left for extra bulk.

Cofagrigus @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic
- Pain Split
- Hex

Gotta wall the birdspam somehow. Gets walled by Sub Mega Kang but that's ok since Lopunny beats that anyway. Toxic is really good for Cresselia, Mega Slowbro and Rotoms. Helmet is great for extra damage, I tried Safety Goggles for a bit since Breloom can be a pain for this team but I like the chip damage better.

Sharpedo @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Protect / Hydro Pump
- Destiny Bond / Hydro Pump

Love using this thing, people always sleep on the special set for some reason only to get bopped by it. Not much to say apart from it being one of the best panic buttons in the game. Life Orb really helps with damage output but Sash + D Bond is too good.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 188 HP / 116 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect / Substitute
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond / Focus Blast / Substitute

This set is pretty evil when it works, more so than the Hypnosis + Hex one that's sorta exploded in popularity. You basically just aim to get a Perish Song off, stall with Protect / Sub and switch out while the foe dies. Then come back and either do it again or D Bond. Sludge Bomb is for Azumarill since it'll just Belly Drum and beat you without it. EVs are to outpace Garchomp pre-mega and Greninja in mega forme. This balance of HP and Def gives the most physical bulk and allows you to tank some crazy moves like Mega Blaziken's Flare Blitz, Banded Talonflame's Brave Bird, and Mega Heracross' Rock Blast.

Wobbuffet (F) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond
- Encore

Just your standard Wob here. The funniest thing to do is switch into something on the last turn of Perish Song while the target is KOed but on the switch it hits you so hard you're in Custap range, then you just D Bond and get a clean 2-1 lead. I went with max HP investment instead of SpD because you need it with all the physical attackers in this meta.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Return / Facade
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

I desperately needed some special bulk on the team and a way to deal with Volcarona and Sylveon. Mixed Download P2 is great at this, it tanks crazy hard hits and dishes back good damage with +1 attacks. Return is amazing against Volc and Sylv and basically anything that gives an attack boost and doesn't resist it. You need Facade though to beat SpD Talonflame but it's considerably weaker against Volc and Sylv.
Threats:
Volcarona: This thing is crazy strong. Lopunny can anti-lead it and Wobbuffet can tank an unboosted Bug Buzz meaning you Encore it which either locks it into Quiver Dance which gets Gengar in for free but it's tricky and I mean who leads Volc anyway. The smart thing for me to do would be to make Porygon2 a specially-defensive set with Download + Return and I don't know what I don't use that actually

Azumarill: Very scary with Belly Drum. Cofagrigus at least takes its Huge Power away so you can revenge kill it without worrying about Aqua Jet, and Gengar bops it with Sludge Bomb. I still hate facing it.

Sylveon: Same boat as Volcarona, pretty annoying to fight if I can't bop it with Lopunny or Gengar.

Talonflame: The specially-defensive stallbreaker set is especially annoying as it shuts down literally all my mons except maybe Sharpedo or Porygon2 if using Facade

Cresselia: Dark Pulse from Sharpedo, Toxic + Hex from Cofagrigus, or Perish trapping it with Gengar are all solutions but it's still really annoying.

will add more but I'm sleepy right now

Importable:
Cofagrigus (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mummy
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic
- Pain Split
- Hex

Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute

Wobbuffet (F) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond
- Encore

Sharpedo (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Destiny Bond

Gengar (F) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 188 HP / 116 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Return
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:
Nice, a cool team to rate.

Kinda hard to give an actual rate without tearing apart the ~aesthetic~ though. One thing that stands out as a big threat to me is talon, specifically the bulky variants. The only hard counterplay it looks like you have is perish trap but i feel only having that to work with kinda limits your options for the 3 mons you bring. I think Hydro Pump on sharp over Dark Pulse could be a reasonable change to try out. Hydro Pump offers a really powerful stab which is great on a speed booster imo, and it makes sharp able to threaten talon. I know the accuracy is a bit inconsistent but power is a nice tradeoff I always think. Losing Dark Pulse sucks a bit against Gengar and Cress but Sash w/ Hydro still beats Gengar usually and Cress can be dealt with by perishgar and toxic cofag. Sash Pump also gives you another way to try to check Volcarona as well. I don't think it will often kill when spdef is at +1 but you should be able to find some way to get chip damage earlier/after with fake out.

On p2, i feel like foul play is underwhelming, and i think download is often more useful than trace. Trace is cool for like Flash Fire/Rough Skin and stuff like that but I think the ability to get a lot more damage in with Download is just too valuable. And because of Download I feel like Tri Attack is better over Foul Play. When I look at a lot of the common setup sweepers, Dnite, Mence, Zard X, Garchomp, a lot of them are either 4x weak to Ice or have lower SpDef than Def, and +1 Foul Play calcs are very similar to +1 Tri Attack calcs, usually netting the same 2hkos. While tri attack gives a very consistent and flexible STAB. Not to mention that twave is often enough to stop these guys. Foul Play has merit for pup Kang i suppose but you have a cofag and lopunny so i dont think kang is all that scary. So yeah, i think Download + Tri Attack is worth trying out. It also allows you to hit all 3 mons on your threat list a little bit harder(before azu BDs), even tho Volc is still a big problem regardless of what moves you decide on p2( besides hp rock :thinking: ).

Other than those slight nitpicks, I don't think I'd change much about the team. The aesthetic is too perfect to tamper with.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nice, a cool team to rate.

Kinda hard to give an actual rate without tearing apart the ~aesthetic~ though. One thing that stands out as a big threat to me is talon, specifically the bulky variants. The only hard counterplay it looks like you have is perish trap but i feel only having that to work with kinda limits your options for the 3 mons you bring. I think Hydro Pump on sharp over Dark Pulse could be a reasonable change to try out. Hydro Pump offers a really powerful stab which is great on a speed booster imo, and it makes sharp able to threaten talon. I know the accuracy is a bit inconsistent but power is a nice tradeoff I always think. Losing Dark Pulse sucks a bit against Gengar and Cress but Sash w/ Hydro still beats Gengar usually and Cress can be dealt with by perishgar and toxic cofag. Sash Pump also gives you another way to try to check Volcarona as well. I don't think it will often kill when spdef is at +1 but you should be able to find some way to get chip damage earlier/after with fake out.

On p2, i feel like foul play is underwhelming, and i think download is often more useful than trace. Trace is cool for like Flash Fire/Rough Skin and stuff like that but I think the ability to get a lot more damage in with Download is just too valuable. And because of Download I feel like Tri Attack is better over Foul Play. When I look at a lot of the common setup sweepers, Dnite, Mence, Zard X, Garchomp, a lot of them are either 4x weak to Ice or have lower SpDef than Def, and +1 Foul Play calcs are very similar to +1 Tri Attack calcs, usually netting the same 2hkos. While tri attack gives a very consistent and flexible STAB. Not to mention that twave is often enough to stop these guys. Foul Play has merit for pup Kang i suppose but you have a cofag and lopunny so i dont think kang is all that scary. So yeah, i think Download + Tri Attack is worth trying out. It also allows you to hit all 3 mons on your threat list a little bit harder(before azu BDs), even tho Volc is still a big problem regardless of what moves you decide on p2( besides hp rock :thinking: ).

Other than those slight nitpicks, I don't think I'd change much about the team. The aesthetic is too perfect to tamper with.
I did have Hydro Pump slashed on everything except Ice Beam on Sharpedo but I changed the formatting I was using while writing the OP which removed the slashes accidentally. I just re-added it now. I really don't like the idea of dropping Dark Pulse as I need it for Cresselia, even though I can play around it with Gengar+Wob or outstall it with Toxic + Hex Cofagrigus. I also don't like dropping Protect for obvious reasons, and Sash + D Bond is really fun. I think Destiny Bond is the most expendable though.

I changed Porygon2 to a SpD mixed-Download set with Return instead of Tri-Attack and I've been loving it. You need Facade to beat stallbreaker variants of Talonflame but Return / Ice Beam is great otherwise. Facade would be the main slash if it wasn't so much weaker against Sylveon, which I think is more of a threat to the team.

An earlier version of this team had (shiny) Tyranitar so that's probably why I didn't consider the Talon matchup too seriously.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Battle Spot Singles was the daily official format in the Tournaments room the night before Sun & Moon came out so I took this team all the way through and won it! Been meaning to post here since then but kept forgetting... Here's the replays:

Round 1:
Opponent DQ iirc

Round 2:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-477509285

Round 3:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-477511230

Round 4:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-477511882

Semi Final:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-477513052

Grand Final:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-477515629

Got a bit lucky at times but I think the team overall played really well. My favourite bit was subbing on the Aegislash when the guy thought he'd won, then walling his Kang with Cof.

Bonus replays from a room tour we had in the actual Battle Spot room:

Round 1:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-476296057

Didn't use the team in Round 2 :(

Final:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-476356548

Could have gone for the clean Lopunny 3-0 by switching P2 in after the Fake Out but didn't think I'd get poisoned tbh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)