Programming OU Weakness Checker (BreakMyTeam style)

OU Weakness Checker (BreakMyTeam style)

Link to the tool: http://hidden50.github.io/brmt/

Approved by NixHex a long time ago, I finally got around to posting this.

rmt1.png rmt2.png

How to use it
Click on a Pokémon to add or remove it from the team. The threatlist on the right updates to reveal which offensive threats you are least prepared for.
The edit field on the left will filter the list below it after you type a few letters; just press enter to add the top entry to the team, or to remove it if it's already in it.

Hover the mouse pointer over a threat to reveal its full list of checks. Click on any of them to add it to the team.

What it is
This is a tool to find weaknesses in a Pokémon team. The term comes from the original (but outdated) Sweepercalc.
While Sweepercalc was based on a damage calculator, this uses the OU Checks Compendium which is much more accurate. It's a javascript implementation of my windows program, CompGen.

How it works on the inside
(1) CompGen can create a computer-friendly (text based) version of any compendium on Smogon. The first step is to take the OU Checks Compendium (computer version) and deletie any checks the current team doesn't have.
(2) Next we sort those threats by the number of Checks remaining, so that anything the team doesn't check will be at the top.
(3) Finally we need to convert the text based output back into images, to make it look pretty. This is quite easy, since each pokemon entry begins with its serebii.net dex number. All we need to do is put it into a link, i.e.
Code:
'http://serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/' + '720-u' + '.png'
Credits
OU Checks Compendium by Tressed, originally by Agent Gibbs.
Sweepercalc by migetno1.

Contact me
My ps nick is Orda-Y. Feel free to pm me about feature requests or bugs.

Shoutouts
Shoutout to m00ns for the most positive feedback I've ever gotten on a programming project.
To Tressed and Agent Gibbs for making all of this possible,
and finally to Alkov, LucosDICampos, Ajwf, Omegasization, Wiz T7, Team Pokepals, Teremiare and Terrakion, so they know this project now has a thread.

The original (now outdated) version can be found at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9207945/rmt.html

Last edited:
Thanks, man. It's actually very nice to get a reply (my other project has gotten zero in 2.5 months, probably because it had to be downloaded :-[)

Next big thing I might add is probably an option to select which mons to use for attackers and defenders.
This will allow to extend the tool onto other tiers, by making one gigantic Checks Compendium from little cup all the way up to ubers, and then selecting the right filters for the tier you want.

I'm actually looking for people to help with checks compendiums for the individual tiers, just PM me here or on showdown if you think you're good enough at a tier to contribute.

A lot of the work will already be done from the tier above. For example, I started a checks compendium for UU by applying such a filter to the OU Compendium (klick), and then stopped because it's probably easier to just make one big Compendium and filter it at the end.

truedrew

Banned deucer.
This resource is amazing it is really helpful when team building especially in ORAS considering the vast amount of threats that can well break my team ;p. terrible puns aside, i love the concept and hope that more people use this resource!

UI could use some work if that really matters

on a side note,
what does
GSI
NSI
SSI stand for?

Hey, thanks for the feedback :]

GSI/SSI/NSI are Categories from the OU Checks Compendium (I should probably include them somewhere in the tool, for anyone who doesn't know OUcc).
GSI: Guaranteed switch in
SSI: Situational switch in
NSI: Not a switch in

UI could use some work if that really matters
I'm open to suggestions.

I'll be away and without internet from tomorrow until oct 14, but I'll read any suggestions when I get back.

Last edited:

truedrew

Banned deucer.
So for the UI i felt that maybe instead of just plain image scroll over it could be a bit more refined like in menu's but tbh idm i love the tool

It would be really helpful to have a way to import compendiums and use them instead of the standard one used here. I'd imagine it's easier to make this a feature on compgen though, considering it already supports importing compendiums.

Fantastic job on this by the way, it's a huge time saver.

Possible, but Javascript has a safety precaution preventing me from opening any external pages. (Meaning that anything you include has to come from dropbox.)

The program loads and scans the Compendium at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9207945/CompGen/Output/Compendiums_txt/OU_Checks_Sorted.txt. It could use any other compendium, but it has to be located on dropbox and formated in this specific way.

Which compendium did you want to include? The easiest way would be to send it to me so I can add it.
I was going to assemble a team to create checks compendiums for other tiers. For this purpose I wrote an online version of CompGen, which can be used to easily make such compendiums. The tutorial also explains which format has to be used to make it compatible with this.

I was thinking more along the lines of anyone being able to edit a pre-existing compendium or create their own and use that, I didn't have any particular one in mind. Now that I think about it though, I'm not sure a whole lot of people would do that so sending the custom compendium to you would probably be fine.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Real nice stuff you have here man. I was just wondering if there could be a Threatlist Generator for other tiers. I'm trying to do one for PU and I was wondering how you go about making it.

PU should be easy now, since there's actually a compendium for it.

Depending on which browser you're using, you should be able to get the source code by yourself; i.e. in Firefox you'd right click the page and click 'view Page Source'. (This works for sites like showdown, too.)

I've appended it anyways. As you can see, what you need is a checks compendium for those lower tiers.
Here is the one for OU I used to create the program:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-checks-compendium.3545711/
As you can see, it's all images; not a very computer friendly format. In my signature, you will find CompGen: a program to create and manage such compendiums in Computer-friendly text format.
You'll want to use the online version for the most part, but the windows program has a way to import a compendium from the image format above to the one I use.

Have a look at the file OU_Checks_Sorted.txt, that's how the compendium needs to be formatted.

Here is a Compendium for PU you could try to import. If there are such compendiums for any other tiers (ubers, UU, NU, LC..), I am not aware of them.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-checks-compendium.3552986/

Attachments

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
Hey, this is an amazing program. It really speeds up the process of teambuilding for me as I don't have to search through the compendium to see what checks every individual of my team and what my team doesn't check. I am also very glad you can have more than 6 Pokemon on the team as it is very helpful for me when drafting for a league. Bravo sir. Bravo.

EDIT: It's got Error 429 which apparently means nobody is allowed to use your links... might be a good idea to move it off dropbox.

Last edited:
Alright, thanks for letting me know about the 429. I got an email about this from dropbox this morning as well, and it looks like I'll have to move it.

This means I'm now looking for a place where I can host this. If anyone has a good idea, please send me a pm :)
(if possible, I want to avoid paying for space on a server.)

Update: I changed it so it uses images from serebii.net again; so it can stay on dropbox for now.
The problem was that I had wanted to reduce the traffic for serebii.net and moved all the minisprites to my dropbox. But every single mini icon counts as a link clicked in your dropbox, and 100000 links a day means they'll temporarily block your public links.

Last edited:
I don't really get/see/know what exactly is the difference between "NSI" and just not in the list, because it firstly shows pokémon who have no pokémon matching any pokémon from your team to the "SI"(GSI,SSI,NSI) and then the ones who only have one in the list "NSI" and so on...but to me those are the same or they should even be switched depending on the difference between "NSI" and not in the list.

I loved sweepercalc and used it a lot and it's too bad it's outdated :/
(when I know the difference between NSI and not in the list I'll probably love this too, I like the concept)

Basically NSI Checks (that is, pokémon that win 1v1 but can't switch in) can be used to force something out.

Having one is different from having no checks at all in that it stops a simple 6-0. You can still easily lose to something you have checked only once, but there will usually be room for counterplay in the form of switching and prediction.

--

Here's the category definition from Tressed's OU Checks Compendium that this tool is based on - let me know if it's somehow unclear still:
  • Guaranteed Switch-Ins (GSI): These Pokemon can switch into basically anything a threat can throw at them and win the matchup, within reason. They may only be able to switch in safely one or two times, or they may only be able to switch in with certain sets, so that'll be up to the player's discretion. When evaluating which moves a check must be able to switch into, I'll only consider moves that (A) are included as main set slashes on a Pokemon's analysis page, or (B) are at least common enough to show up on a Pokemon's 1825 moveset statistics entry. Anything else will be considered niche or uncommon enough that a check won't have to worry about it too often.
  • Situational Switch-Ins (SSI): These Pokemon can switch in safely under certain circumstances, but not always. Pokemon in this category can either switch safely into some variants of a threat but struggle against others, or they struggle with common coverage moves but can at least switch into a threat's STABs and other moves commonly used on switches (such as boosting moves and Knock Off) and win the matchup. This is somewhat of a "gray area" category, so there's a bit of flexibility here.
  • Non-Switch-Ins (NSI): These Pokemon cannot switch safely into a certain threat, generally because they are beaten by one of the threat's STABs, lose if they switch in on a boosting move, etc. Pokemon in this category can, however, defeat a threat in a 1-on-1 matchup. This includes faster revenge killers, as well as Pokemon that can take a single hit and KO back.

Alright, there's going to be a big update at some point.

The changes are already live at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9207945/rmt2.html?team=647,243,248
The changes are already live at http://hidden50.github.io/brmt/?team=647,243,248
For comparison, this is the current brmt for the same team: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9207945/rmt.html?team=647,243,248

The current brmt counts the number of GSIs, SSIs and NSIs your team has to each individual threat.

What's coming will also count how many of your own team members are checked by them (inverse GSI, inverse SSI, inverse NSI). For example if Keldeo is a GSI to Bisharp, this means Bisharp is now an invGSI to Keldeo. Keldeo will be valued as a slightly bigger threat if you put a bisharp on your team.

What's left to do is write a clever rating function.
If you write a,b,c for the number of GSIs, SSIs and NSIs, the current brmt just uses 10000*a + 100*b + c and sorts the threats by that value.
If you write d,e,f for the inverse ones, the new rating function right now is 10000*a + 100*b + 2*c - 11*d - 7*e - 3*f.
But I can also do something like 0*a + 0*b + 0*c - 11*d - 7*e - 3*f, which will bring up a bunch of defensive threats that previously didn't have Entries at all. Things like Skarmory, Hippodwdon, Chansey. So we could have something like a "wall it" button, or other nifty rating functions.

Last edited:
hi, thanks for the link. I'll have to see when I get to it.

Also, I really need to make this easier to maintain. Still haven't gotten to working in the latest changes from the various compendiums.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
upload_2016-5-7_16-40-56.png

Might wanna remove Hoopa-U from here since it's banned from OU now; otherwise, great resource!

Shafofficiel

allez tout le monde en balèze (baleze baleze)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
yo bro, i guess that you have to introduce the volcanion threat to the brmt in order to always consider this

Is it possible to figure out what 6 pokemon combination has the least amount of threats without manually doing it? Like a script or something?

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hello, I would suggest the inclusion of the common ev spreads of threats and pokemon set that you are going to put "on your team", I find that the system that is now the site does not give correct information, because for example if you have offensive Heatran on the team, the brmt marks you as a mega Manectric switch in, but it is not completely true, because Heatran max spa and max spe does not counter Mmane, I think the addition of the spread and common sets can help the player to have a more real vision of his team's weaknesses, however, is really a useful site :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)