OU Player of the Week #11: Leftiez

Status
Not open for further replies.

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a defending SCL Champion

Welcome to the SM version of OU Player of the Week! This project will feature interviews from some of the most accomplished and influential users in the tier so that we can learn more about them.
If there is a user that you would like to see interviewed be sure to let me know.

-------------

Leftiez
most known for: being a niqqer.
favourite pokemon: Eevee
most used pokemon: Landorus-T

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself outside of Smogon?
I'm a young black skined guy that like having fun in general, I'm 20 yo and live in Guadeloupe one of the best island on earth most known for its tourist attractions and beach. (There are hot negritas too i swear), if you wonder where Guadeloupe is.. it's litterally born of US Central (The West Indies), i work in the field of the telecommunication with an international company known as Orange. I still live with my mom and i'm actually working on starting my own business which i hope will work in the future.

Where did you get your name from?
When i first started playing this game competitively, i had a boner for the item Leftovers, i honestly used that on every single of my pokemon in the past (yes even shedinja) because i was too bad at building, so i chose to pick this name which isn't even that bad to be honest, also added "z" instead of "s" at the end because it's more stylish ;]

How and when did you get into competitive Pokemon?
I first started on a forum called Pokebip in 2011 which is a French Pokemon Community, and even though i gotta admit that it was really low in term of battling skill, i've had a lot of fun there waking up with my DS Lite each morning and playing some games with my friends. One year later i've got introduced into another community called French Spirit where i met people like Ojamad / McNugget / Fafou / giaroux..., at the beginning i was really not appreciated by this community, i was young and i was indeed dumb as fuck but hey people grow up sometimes... however there was a big hole between pokebip and frenchspirit in term of battling and i instantly noticed that, then i got introduced on Smogon by watching Smogon Tour as most of french players on French Spirit was following / playing this tournament... (This is also why it's one of my favourite tournament on Smogon). I was really excited watching all these big names playing each others and competing at high lvl, this is when i decided to go more in-depth with this game and created my account in 2012.

What’s your favourite generation of OU and why?
XY definitely, XY was one of the most balanced metagame before ORAS came up and i honestly hope SM will be like that sometime soon because i do think that this tier has potential, i believe in the OU Council as they have got great and lvl headed people recently.

What’s your favourite playstyle to use and why?
Balanced, because i've always liked to mix up between offensive and defensive playstyle so i could be solid all around. Balanced is also one of the less matchup based playstyle in my opinion as you can cover and play around almost everything.

What are your thoughts on the current metagame? How do you feel about SM in comparison to ORAS?
SM is a pain for the moment, there are so much wasted potential in this just because of a bunch of broken pokemon such as Dugtrio or even Magearna that just ruin the game by overcentralizing and limiting creative builds. While ORAS is much balanced even though i still think dugtrio is an issue but it's way more manageable than it is in SM.

Are there any Pokemon that you believe are overrated/underrated in the current metagame. Why?
Overrated i'd say Zygarde, over the past months we have all adapted to this pokemon by using Clefable / Mew and defensive archetype, and i don't think it's worth mentioning anymore. If i had to talk about an underrated pokemon though it would be Spec Latios, it's just ridiculous how strong it is, add thunder and it's even more dangerous because it can now beat Celesteela and deal heavy damage on Magearna.

Do you believe that anything deserves a suspect test in the near future?
Dugtrio and Magearna for sure, they bring nothing but chaos in this tier.

You qualified for OLT in the first cycle. What do you think about the deadline rules?
As they removed it i don't think it's worth talking about; but it sucked a lot because everyone was being paranoid more than ever about it.

What is your first impression of the new Smogon Snake Draft?
I can't really judge before seeing it first, but i think it can be ok ? Unless we get to see Reyscarface and weshbien in the same team then it would be gorgeous.

What’s one piece of advice you’d give to someone trying to break into the tournament setting?
Start by enjoying the game first, because if you don't enjoy the game you won't find motivation in improving, even though it means that you will lose three hundred games before getting good. If you truly like this game then i recommend to start watching high lvl games (Wcop / SPL / Smogon Tour / Classic etc..), analyzing your replays and working on your teambuilding / battling skill also laddering might help a lot at the beginning.

Who are some of your favourite people in the Smogon community?
I'd say people like McMeghan, Blunder, Stone Cold, Ojama, ABR, Ict, Omfuga, flcl, Tesung, TDK, bro fist, Twin Citiez, Cicada, Obii-Wan, Subject 18, NJNP, BlackOblivion, Mariano, Zephir, Giara, Enki, Jsaok, xtra, Somalia, Tony, IronBullet, Plus, Tim, BKC, Soulwind, Bro Kappa, Whole Team France, OFCS,AFRABS,VoD..... Sorry can't think about everyone but i still like you.

Finally, can you provide us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 28 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Psychic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 104 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
This is one of my best team, i've built this team during my Wcop R1 against z0mog and i honestly love it, i also used it during my olt run where i ended first. This team is all about abusing Venusaur which is ridiculously hard to beat under the right condition, i came up with that set and i do think that it's the best set you can use on Venusaur, at least in this metagame as you can abuse almost every pokemon by using Leech seed and spamming poison / fire coverage which isnt even bad, you can also pray for poison so you can make it even harder to play around with the like of entry hazard. When i chose this set i definitly needed something to knock leftovers out from pokemon that could wall Venusaur in general (Heatran / Toxapex... ) so i could weaken them on the long run with leech seed spam from Celesteela and Venusaur, Venusaur definitly needed hazard to punish and limit switches hence why i added Greninja, Zygarde being my Wallbreaker and my backup in case Venusaur couldn't pull through for whatever reason (especially against stall as it's relatively hard to keep hazard up). Mew has been added as a Medicham / Ground check and support for Zygarde, with the like of volt switch i can pivot around toxapex / zard / heatran and safely send my Zygarde on the field to pressure.

Muscle K

Banned deucer.
Another Great Edition Player of the Week :]
Now onto the questions:

Personality-wise, how would you describe yourself and how does that affect your 'mons experience?

How much of an influence on competitive 'mons do you believe you are?

If you were to change one thing about this meta, what would it be and why?

What do you believe is the most influential event of your 'mons career is and why?

If a new player were to ask for tips on how to improve in competitive 'mons, what would you say?

Will you sign my profile? :3

Another Great Edition Player of the Week :]
Now onto the questions:

Personality-wise, how would you describe yourself and how does that affect your 'mons experience?

I can't really answer this question because i consider myself different IRL than here, but i would say that i'm someone that like laughing and enjoying life in general, i don't really fuck with people and like staying in my own side except people i consider as my family / gf, however i might be a little impulsive at time when something doesn't go in my way but well no one is perfect i guess :p

How much of an influence on competitive 'mons do you believe you are?

To be honest, i don't really care about what people think about me in this game, as i said in my previous answer i don't fuck with people and so whether i'm an influencial player or not won't change anything, pokemon is my passion nothing else. Even though some people are being cocky when they get some kind of notoriety in this site which is honestly pathetic as fuck.

If you were to change one thing about this meta, what would it be and why?

I'd say Dugtrio for sure, Dugtrio is the most controversial pokemon in the metagame right now, it's just ridiculous how it constantly pressures shit out during a battle just because you don't want it to trap your potential win condition, and most of time you are just forced into saccing it because you don't have any way to break through your opponents team, dugtrio not only trap a billion of shit but he also affects your way to play, because you have to play around that in a way where your opponent can't safely trap meaning that your opponent will have the momentum most of the time which is not competitive at all.

What do you believe is the most influential event of your 'mons career is and why?

I don't think there is a specific event for that, but if i had to find something that definitly influence my mons career, it would be interacting with a bunch of lvl headed people (that i won't name), but like they opened my eyes on a lot of shit concercing my vision about the game / hax / my behavior etc.. because yeah i do think people that cry over hax nowadays are fucking retarded, in the other hand i also improved my battling / teambuilding skill so a big thanks to these people, they probably know who they are.

If a new player were to ask for tips on how to improve in competitive 'mons, what would you say?

I already answered this question in the OP but thanks for reading it i guess :(

Will you sign my profile? :3

Why not :3

who do you fuckin hate in Smogon
err i won't answer for obvious reason, but i usually hate people who hate me which is logic :p

whos the shittiest person uve played
A guy named iMeridian, probably the shittiest player i've ever played in all of my career, god knows how this dude was bad jesus christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)