Gen 4 OU - Machamp Para-Spam Balance

Hello all! I'm back from a long PS hiatus and learning the DPP OU meta. Managed to get up to around 1400 on the ladder fairly quickly, but I am still very much learning the meta.
This is the second team I've built and used since my hiatus, mostly sticking to sample teams and teams made by other ppl beforehand, so I can study the meta a bit before diving into team building.
With that out of the way, here is the team I am currently using. Any critical feedback is appreciated, so long as I can keep the identity of the team!!
Pokepaste for reference [https://pokepast.es/952428befa5d3e06]

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dynamic Punch
- Payback
- Ice Punch

This is the Pokemon I tried to center my team around. Machamp is pretty interesting to me in this metagame, with its insane attack stat, valuable fighting typing, and a signature combo of No Guard + Dynamic Punch. On my team, it serves as a dedicated wallbreaker, stallbreaker, and occasional sweeper once the team sets up enough support. It's my dedicated answer to common defensive threats like Clefable, Blissey, Heatran, Rotom-A, and most significant Tyranitar. Ice punch is aimed so it can threaten flying types like Zapdos and Gliscor, as well as Breloom and Hippowdon. The minimal speed investment is meant to maximize its bulk and use out of Substitute, and due to the team's emphasis on spreading Paralysis

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Hidden Power Grass
- U-turn

The first Pokemon I chose to compliment Machamp. It adores Machamp's ability to threaten and annihilate Clefable and Tyranitar, and in turn, gives it pivoting to ease Machamp into entering the field and spread paralysis through Discharge. HP Grass is chosen so it can bait and hurt/potentially kill Swampert, which otherwise is hard to paralyze and can withstand one of Machamp's Attacks and break its substitute. The focus on physically defensive investment is chosen so it can withstand attacks from steel types like Scizor, Metagross, and Bronzong, fighting types such as Breloom and Lucario, and DD Gyarados without Stone Edge.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

The second partner is meant to support Machamp and complete the team's primary core. Like Zapdos, Machamp serving as a constant threat to Tyranitar is invaluable for Clefable, as well as being able to deal with Ghost types like Rotom-A and Gengar. In turn, it spreads paralysis through Thunder Wave, cures it of otherwise debilitating status like burn and paralysis, and absorbs special damage from threats that Zapdos is otherwise vulnerable to, like Empoleon, Latias, Jirachi, and Heatran.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 64 SpD / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Body Slam

Jirachi is the only Steel type on this team, and as such it needs to have as much longevity as possible. The wish+tect set seemed to be the perfect choice for this, not only making Jirachi challenging to kill but also supporting allies like Machamp with wish support. It also contributes to the Paralysis spam with Body Slam, which has a 60% chance to paralyze any non-ghost type Pokemon - a valuable asset against ground types that might try to switch against Jirachi, like Gliscor, Flygon, and Mamoswine. It also serves as an alternative cleaner through the combination of Iron Head + Body Slam boosted by Serene Grace. It can also stomach offensive Dragon threats such as Latias' Draco Meteor and various Outrage users. Finally, it is this team's Lead, aiming to paralyze common leads like Azelf, Aerodactyle, and Roserade and then eliminate quietly with Iron Head.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Donphan was not a viable Rapid Spinner I was originally familiar with. I was recommended to add it to the team after a few revisions, and for seemingly good reasons. It offers a lot of utility by being both the team's essential Rapid Spinner, as well as SR setter and Knock-Off user. It can also aid with absorbing various offensive threats like Metagross, Tyranitar, and Scizor.

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Latias fits with the rest of the team as a primary solution to threats like Breloom, Infernape, Specs Zapdos, and Heatran without Dragon Pulse. It also provides another source of paralysis spam, particularly against common switch-ins like Tyranitar, Scizor, and Rotom-A. Ice beam is chosen so it can hit Dragons, Grass, and Flying Pokemon effectively. Finally, it acts as a phaser using roar to deal with set-up sweepers such as Jirachi, Metagross, and Gyarados who might try to use it as fodder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)