Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Here's a Core I'm using right now, the goal is to give one of these Mons the chance to sweep.
MMawile is copied by Pokeaim tbh, while Keldeo is standard Scarf set.
Keldeo helps out Mawile against Ferro, Tran, Lando T (Double switch) and some more mons, while Mawile kills Toxapex, MVenu, Latios and pretty much everything else which counters Keldeo.

The core pairs well with VoltTurn like Koko/Lando-T to bring in those two beasts.
Out of curiosity, why aren't you using Play Rough on Mawile? That's kind of a staple move on it

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Mawile + Ash Greninja

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang / Swords Dance
- Thunder Punch

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn / Ice Beam

Why think up crazy creative cores when you can literally just use two monsters? This core provides 2 extremely powerful forms of priority which can be useful against offensive teams. Mawile is ridiculously strong and can break just about any defensive build with the right moveset, as well. Thunder Punch + Fire Fang lets you take down Toxapex, Tapu Fini, Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Celesteela, and so on. It's very nice for weakening Water- and Grass-types for Greninja to achieve its Battle Bond form. Greninja in return blows back just about every Fire-type that could check Mawile, and also is very threatening to Ground-types which can be used to check it such as Landorus-T.

The core does have some problems breaking Mega Venusaur and can be threatened offensively by Tapu Lele + Pheromosa type team builds which neuter the priority aspect. It's usually recommended to pair another Steel-type with Mawile as it can't really be used as a good switch-in to powerful special attacks. Keldeo is also a threat so something to handle that would be a good idea.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang / Swords Dance

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Trick

Mega Mawile provides you with a good wallbreaker with the AoA set which can take care of Toxapex, Celesteela, Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. Rotom-W provides you with a Ground immunity and Volt Switch to bring Mega Mawile in safely. Finally, Scarf Latios provides some sort of Speed control as well as being able to check Keldeo and Ash-Greninja. It can also chip away at Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor or Toxapex to help make Mawile's job easier. You might also want to consider a Steel-type since Mega Mawile isn't exactly the typical Steel-type that can take hits. Ferrothorn is good for this since it can set up Spikes (or Stealth Rock if nothing else on your team learns it).

Last edited:
Offensive Core: Tailwind Mega Beedril + Specs Hoopa-Unbound

Sets:
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Tailwind

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Explanation:
U-turn+ wallbreaker is an old yet effective method. You U-turn on common switchins like Lando-T, Skarmory or Hippo and bring in your Specs Hoopa and do massive damage early game. When the opponent has three mons you can attempt to sack Mega Beedril as you click Tailwind and click the appropriate move three times with Hoopa and potentially win the game. A Modest nature is an option if you are okay with being outsped by Scarf Keldeo. With Timid you even outspeed Scarf Greninja and Adamant Sand Rush Excadril in Sand. Ironically I could have won if I was Modest in the replay.

Teammates:
One of the best teammate is someone who can get rid of Hazards and maybe keep your own to effectivly chip at the opposing team. Pheromosa is perfect because it learns Uturn and rmoves Hazards while keeping your own. It can also threaten common Uturn switchins from Mega Beedril with a special set. I like Focusblast, Icebeam, Rapid Spin, Uturn with Fightium Z.

In the replay below I basicly spammed all the momentum grabbers in the tier (Pheromosa, Rotom-w, Landot, Mega Beedril) and had Dugtrio to trap stuff and Hoopa to break stuff. An overfall very fun team.

Replay (I lost but still a great demonstration):

Offensive Core: Beedrill-Mega + QD Pheromosa
image.png
image.png

Explanation:
On first glance, this is just frail Bug + frail Bug. The common view on Mega Bee is that its merely a poor man's Pheromosa but by utilizing a Quiver Dance Pheromosa their synergy grows. MegaBee is quite efficient in luring in Ground types and Steel types in particular, which is perfect for Pheromosa as thats her specialty. By using this combination you can apply consistent pressure, but the coup de grace of all this pressure is that Pheromosa threatens the Hell out of Beedrill's counters, so your opponent may once again swap out. This will give Pheromosa a free Quiver Dance, which can simply eviscerate most teams.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
-U-turn
-Poison Jab
-Knock Off
-Drill Run

Pheromosa @ Normalium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 224 SpA / 32 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Focus Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

Last edited:
Offensive Core: Beedrill-Mega + QD Pheromosa
View attachment 79369View attachment 79370

Explanation:
On first glance, this is just frail Bug + frail Bug. The common view on Mega Bee is that its merely a poor man's Pheromosa but by utilizing a Quiver Dance Pheromosa their synergy grows. MegaBee is quite efficient in luring in Ground types and Steel types in particular, which is perfect for Pheromosa as thats her specialty. By using this combination you can apply consistent pressure, but the coup de grace of all this pressure is that Pheromosa threatens the Hell out of Beedrill's counters, so your opponent may once again swap out. This will give Pheromosa a free Quiver Dance, which can simply eviscerate most teams.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
-U-turn
-Poison Jab
-Knock Off
-Drill Run

Pheromosa @ Normalium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 224 SpA / 24 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Focus Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam
You might want to actually put Quiver Dance in Pheromosa's set and add the missing 8 EVs in SpD so that the sets are consistent with your core explanation.

Offensive Core: Tailwind Mega Beedril + Specs Hoopa-Unbound

Sets:
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Tailwind

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Explanation:
U-turn+ wallbreaker is an old yet effective method. You U-turn on common switchins like Lando-T, Skarmory or Hippo and bring in your Specs Hoopa and do massive damage early game. When the opponent has three mons you can attempt to sack Mega Beedril as you click Tailwind and click the appropriate move three times with Hoopa and potentially win the game. A Modest nature is an option if you are okay with being outsped by Scarf Keldeo. With Timid you even outspeed Scarf Greninja and Adamant Sand Rush Excadril in Sand. Ironically I could have won if I was Modest in the replay.

Teammates:
One of the best teammate is someone who can get rid of Hazards and maybe keep your own to effectivly chip at the opposing team. Pheromosa is perfect because it learns Uturn and rmoves Hazards while keeping your own. It can also threaten common Uturn switchins from Mega Beedril with a special set. I like Focusblast, Icebeam, Rapid Spin, Uturn with Fightium Z.

In the replay below I basicly spammed all the momentum grabbers in the tier (Pheromosa, Rotom-w, Landot, Mega Beedril) and had Dugtrio to trap stuff and Hoopa to break stuff. An overfall very fun team.

Replay (I lost but still a great demonstration):
I really like this. I've been using a BeeMosa core in one of my teams (which also features Lando and TecRage Duggy). My Phero was scarfed just to add a ton of extra (unnecessary) speed, but I've been toying around with Specs or maybe a mixed set. Rapid Spin is definitely a must. Ultimately, I did end up morphing that team into a much more streamlined and effective VolTurn team (minus Beedrill and Duggy but plus Metagross and Magnezone). Overall, I definitely like pairing Beedrill and Pheromosa because while I do more often than not click Phero, Bee's utility with Tailwind and Poison STAB is really nice.

One note for that core: Make sure you have a solid answer to Ferrothorn, because without one, you end up really racking up a ton of unnecessary damage (ferro's can carry Protect which makes HJK risky).

Scribble

formerly Dartrix - Joker
is a Contributor to Smogon
Offensive Core: Mega Mawile + Greninja

Mawile-Mega (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Gunk Shot

Like the Mega Mawile + Ash Greninja core, Mega Mawile + Protean Greninja also works well as an offensive core that can easily pressure teams. Teams have a tough time switching into Greninja because of the "What's the set?" game, and Mega Mawile has very few switch ins at all. HP Fire Greninja deals with the Steels that give SD Mega Mawile some trouble, mainly Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. Ice Beam allows it to deal with the Ground types. Spikes are really good right now, and Greninja is easily the best offensive setter. Spikes put chip damage on a lot of grounded threats to Mega Mawile like Heatran, which allows +2 Sucker Punch to KO more easily. Greninja can also run Hydro Pump if you'd rather it be able to hit the Fire types like Heatran out right, it's dependent on the rest of your team. Mega Mawile puts dents in the opposing team, and Thunder Punch allows it to easily bop Toxapex, Sp. Def Celesteela, Slowbro, Mantine, and Tentacruel (lol), which gives this Greninja set some trouble/annoys it. Pair this core with something to handle Mega Venusaur, Keldeo, and Tapu Koko primarily.

Last edited:
Defensive Core: PhysDef Rotom-W + AV Magearna

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

Similar to the Magearna + Lando-T core posted earlier in the thread. Rotom-W easily pressures most Ground-types in the metagame, while Magearna covers Rotom-W's sole weakness of Grass as well as most neutral special attacks that Rotom-W might have trouble stomaching. Both can also pivot to each other with Volt Switch, meaning only Electric immunities or an immediate, faster threat will force an actual switch from either of them. Despite being a defensive core, Magearna also sports very respectable attack and prefers the extra power to pressure opposing 'mons offensively over any additional bulk outside of max HP. As an added bonus, Rotom-W can threaten the Steel-types that Magearna has trouble hitting, such as Mega trinity, with Will-O-Wisp.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 120 HP / 212 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fly

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic
- Outrage

This is a groundspam core I've been fooling around with, and I think it's pretty cool. CB Big Zygarde is all the rage, and with good reason, it's really good. I've been using this landorus for a while, although I'm still unsure about what EVs suit it best. It's kind of a hybrid between offensive Landorus and defensive Landorus. Without swords dance, Continental Crusher is really pretty underwhelming. Plus, if you can lure Tangrowth or something in, it opens much bigger holes for Zygarde to arrows everything, as Tangrowth or some other bulky grass are usually the only ground resists (excluding flying/levitate, which arrows bypasses) on most teams, meaning Arrows spam will kill things repeatedly once Tangrowth is gone. Other times Z-Fly is just a really useful nuke against Ferrothorn, Scizor, Tapu Fini, etc. The landorus spread always lives Koko HP ice after rocks, and outspeeds something or other. The rest is dumped into attack. U-Turn pivots out against literal counters like Skarmory, Zapdos, etc. Zygarde's set is pretty standard, I like Adamant but of course Jolly works, and EV spread could be modified. Pretty much spam arrows unless outrage is really safe, extremespeed revenge kills stuff. Toxic cripples fat things, like Slowbro which wall both of these grounds.

Team support isn't that complicated; steel(s) for lele, bulky water, etc. How well you want to check things is dependent on how bulky the team is, these mons do well on balance/bulky offense. I think the other four are pretty flexible.

Edit: It looks like Martin already figured this one out a few months ago. I guess mine is different since I use Bolt/Beam instead of Signal Beam... but its almost the same concept... although you are far more reliant on Dugtrio to properly perform its role... I'd argue that Bolt/Beam sweeps more teams if Dugtrio actually pulls off his job.

I'll leave the post up... I already typed it up anyway >_<

Offensive Core:

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Memento

What's wrong with Ghost Porygon-Z?? It gets owned by Tyranitar, Hoopa-U, Bisharp, and Chansey. If only there was a surefire way to get rid of those Pokemon...

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 207-244 (68.7 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 254-300 (74.2 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 272-324 (100.3 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 0 HP Dugtrio: 100-100 (49.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Dugtrio Reversal (200 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 482-568 (75 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

----------

Pair with a U-turner (Landorus, Greninja, Koko, Pheremosa, etc. etc.) to get in, and you're basically set. Instead of running an attack to KO Tyranitar / Chansey / Hoopa-U, this Porygon-Z goes for the sweep with BoltBeam + Shadow Ball spam. This allows you to OHKO threats like Garchomp, (Non-Mega) Gyarados... which normally are 2HKOed by the +1 Adaptability Shadow Ball.

After KOing the "anti-Porygon-Z" pokemon on your opponent's team, Dugtrio can often setup the sweep with Memento.

Didnt see this core in the first post.

For defensives team
Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Lonely Nature
IVs: 20 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Screech
- Reversal

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance

For ofensives team
Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
IVs: 20 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Screech
- Reversal

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance

Volcarona with z-psycan can destroy a lot of thing and it is hard to stop after one or two quiver dance. Dug is here to hold things like heatran or tyranitar.

+
+
/

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Protect

Keldeo-Resolute @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hyper Beam
- Calm Mind

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic Spikes

This is one nice double water core I created lately. It is based around supporting VinCune as victory condition. Vincune has problems with toxapex, tapufini (first carry haze, second taunt and natures madness) but both of them are lured by cm normalium z Keldeo.

+1 252 SpA Keldeo Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Toxapex: 235-277 (77.3 - 91.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Keldeo Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 232-274 (67.6 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Beside them there is not much that can just stop VinCune from setting up. Electric types are annoyance but you have Dragagle or Mega Venusaur for checking them. Dragalge is preffered, because T spikes wears down tapu koko and tapu bulu, but venusaur can be better in few other match ups.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
this will be the archive of the thread; here you will find all the cores we deem worthy of being added based on the guidelines of the OP. simply do ctrl + f to find a specific core you are looking for.

Offensive Cores
ash greninja + mega scizor + tapu koko
This core was posted as protean gren instead of ash-gren, might want to fix that :x

+
+
/

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Protect

Keldeo-Resolute @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hyper Beam
- Calm Mind

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic Spikes

This is one nice double water core I created lately. It is based around supporting VinCune as victory condition. Vincune has problems with toxapex, tapufini (first carry haze, second taunt and natures madness) but both of them are lured by cm normalium z Keldeo.

+1 252 SpA Keldeo Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Toxapex: 235-277 (77.3 - 91.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Keldeo Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 232-274 (67.6 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Beside them there is not much that can just stop VinCune from setting up. Electric types are annoyance but you have Dragagle or Mega Venusaur for checking them. Dragalge is preffered, because T spikes wears down tapu koko and tapu bulu, but venusaur can be better in few other match ups.
It's worth mentioning that Physically Defensive Tangrowth, Tapu Bulu, and Defensive Mega Venusaur (after rocks and a little prior damage) are OHKOd by +1 Breakneck Blitz. Amoonguss is heavily damaged or OHKOd depending on how much special defense it runs.

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch / Hammer Arm / Bullet Punch

Dragon Dance Zygarde can actually lure annoying Pokemon like Landorus-T, bulky water (besides Toxapex) and Tangrowth with a surprise Devastating Drake, which breaks a hole in the opposing team's defensive backbone. Thousand Arrows allows Zygarde to scare away stuff like Magearna and Rotom-W, which annoys Metagross. In return, Metagross checks Tapus and Clefable with Meteor Mash.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
birdpig (Offensive Core)
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch / Taunt
- U-turn

Mamoswine and Tapu Koko have nearly perfect synergy. Every common counter to Tapu Koko bar Ferrothorn gets completely bodied by Mamoswine, and even Ferro becomes a shaky switchin when Mamoswine runs Superpower. Coupled with teams being generally unprepared for Mamoswine, the pig gets a ton of chances to punch holes in opposing teams, or kill off Tapu Koko's counters, allowing the latter to freely wreak havoc on the opponent.

Pros: Very strong against bulky teams and balance, slips easily in to VoltTurn archetypes, Mamo is poorly prepared for these days, and both members of the core can kill Toxapex (!)
Cons: The core has about 0 defensive utility, and really only fits on more aggressive builds. Because of that, pretty much anything faster than Tapu Koko (Scarf Lele/Keld/Chomp, Ashninja, etc) is a huge threat to this core. Also, Ferrothorn's a bit of a problem still, as Superpower only does ~65-75% damage to it, meaning it has to be weakened before Mamo can start punishing it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IK it's already in there, but the Wak EV spread on the listed core is outdated and also Chople Ferro isn't optimal for the core--so I thought I'd give it a revamp!

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head / Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock / Will-O-Wisp

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
The way this core functions is pretty simple: Alolan Marowak and Ferrothorn pack solid defensive synergy (Wak resists Fire and is immune to Fighting; Ferro resists Water and walls defensive Lando-T/Zygarde variants) whilst also being useful for hazard stacking strategies due to Wak's ability to spinblock. FerroGhost BO is a completely infuriating archetype because Ferrothorn lays Spikes on so much of the tier and because a lot of teams have to fall back on Pheromosa as their hazard control. Finally, Wak is strong enough to really fuck over Mega Sableye when conditions are good, which is super important for Ferro to Spike up against stall.

I'm sure Rock Head Marowak is turning a few heads here, but honestly it is the better variant in general imo just because of how disgustingly strong Flare Blitz is (to put it into context, it 2HKOs Physically Defensive Landorus-T when SR is on the field). Furthermore, Ferrothorn does a good job of covering Tapu Koko which lack HP Fire, making LRod somewhat redundant alongside it. That said, if Zapdos or Thundurus is an issue or if your team has a hard time vs. Volt Switch users it is still a valid option. SD is mandatory in the current meta IMO for its ability to fuck up Toxapex, allowing Wak to nail stall even harder than it does normally. The EV spread on Ferrothorn achieves what the analysis spread achieves whilst netting an extra few points in Defense, as the other spread just hits a defense jump point as opposed to a specific hit. Both are valid, but I prefer this spread just 'cause I like a few extra Defense points on Ferro.

Last edited:
IK it's already in there, but the Wak EV spread on the listed core is outdated and also Chople Ferro isn't optimal for the core--so I thought I'd give it a revamp!

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Swords Dance

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
The way this core functions is pretty simple: Alolan Marowak and Ferrothorn pack solid defensive synergy (Wak resists Fire and is immune to Fighting; Ferro resists Water and walls defensive Lando-T/Zygarde variants) whilst also being useful for hazard stacking strategies due to Wak's ability to spinblock. FerroGhost BO is a completely infuriating archetype because Ferrothorn lays Spikes on so much of the tier and because a lot of teams have to fall back on Pheromosa as their hazard control. Finally, Wak is strong enough to really fuck over Mega Sableye when conditions are good, which is super important for Ferro to Spike up against stall.

I'm sure Rock Head Marowak is turning a few heads here, but honestly it is the better variant in general imo just because of how disgustingly strong Flare Blitz is (to put it into context, it 2HKOs Physically Defensive Landorus-T when SR is on the field). Furthermore, Ferrothorn does a good job of covering Tapu Koko which lack HP Fire, making LRod somewhat redundant alongside it. That said, if Zapdos or Thundurus is an issue it is still a valid option. SD is mandatory in the current meta IMO for its ability to fuck up Toxapex, allowing Wak to nail stall even harder than it does normally. The EV spread on Ferrothorn achieves what the analysis spread achieves whilst netting an extra few points in Defense, as the other spread just hits a defense jump point as opposed to a specific hit. Both are valid, but I prefer this spread just 'cause I like a few extra Defense points on Ferro.
Tried to prove otherwise but you are right:
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Ferrothorn: 158-186 (44.8 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 156-184 (44.3 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Swords Dance

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

I'm sure Rock Head Marowak is turning a few heads here, but honestly it is the better variant in general imo just because of how disgustingly strong Flare Blitz is (to put it into context, it 2HKOs Physically Defensive Landorus-T when SR is on the field). Furthermore, Ferrothorn does a good job of covering Tapu Koko which lack HP Fire, making LRod somewhat redundant alongside it. That said, if Zapdos or Thundurus is an issue it is still a valid option. SD is mandatory in the current meta IMO for its ability to fuck up Toxapex, allowing Wak to nail stall even harder than it does normally. The EV spread on Ferrothorn achieves what the analysis spread achieves whilst netting an extra few points in Defense, as the other spread just hits a defense jump point as opposed to a specific hit. Both are valid, but I prefer this spread just 'cause I like a few extra Defense points on Ferro.
Your core seems cool and fine but it has one major problem. It is weak to every single decent wallbreaker in tier:

Specs Gengar

252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Ferrothorn: 153-180 (43.4 - 51.1%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Specs Lele

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Ferrothorn in Psychic Terrain: 141-166 (40 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

CM Keldeo

252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 186-222 (52.8 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

SD Chomp

+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Ferrothorn: 217-256 (61.6 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

If someone is prepared for any kind fat core, he's prepared for this one. I don't think that's necessary corebuilding fault but current meta offers some truly amazing wallbreakers and running balance seems kind pointless

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Your core seems cool and fine but it has one major problem. It is weak to every single decent wallbreaker in tier:

Specs Gengar

252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Ferrothorn: 153-180 (43.4 - 51.1%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Specs Lele

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Ferrothorn in Psychic Terrain: 141-166 (40 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

CM Keldeo

252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 186-222 (52.8 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

SD Chomp

+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Ferrothorn: 217-256 (61.6 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

If someone is prepared for any kind fat core, he's prepared for this one. I don't think that's necessary corebuilding fault but current meta offers some truly amazing wallbreakers and running balance seems kind pointless
This isn't supposed to be some sort of fatcore that walls the entire meta tho, and he even mentioned that this core belongs to BO, not balance. He mentioned the purpose of the core, basically having decent defensive synergy and stacking Spikes which btw are just awesome rn. If you're looking for some sort of unbreakable balance core that takes on Specs Hoopa SD Chomp and that kind of shit might as well use Stall

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
teams aren't marowak+ferrothorn vs. the whole meta. u cover the weaknesses in the other four slots: cores don't need to perfectly cover everything in two slots, and as far as the core goes (as well as it's consistency on the ladder--i've not been following tours so i can't comment on them, although i don't see why it'd be any less consistent there) what this core does is more than enough evidence that the core is good. it still functions, it still acheives its key goal, and it is still successful; that's all there is to it.

Volcarona + Keldeo

This is a pretty strong duo, right now specs keldeo is a great mon, strong dark resistor and spams damages. There are few teams prepared to switch on it and the most of these have as answer Tapu Fini / Tapu Bulu / Amoonguss / Tangrowth / Toxapex etc... and here it is when volcarona comes to play, the psychic z set just destroys every of keldeo switch giving him the chance to just click a button for smash teams.
Sets:
https://hastebin.com/kuqubohiqa.diff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)