Official NBA 16-17' Season Thread

So Paul George told the Pacers that he's opting out next summer and that he "prefers" the Lakers as a free agent destination. Good on him to allow his team time to make moves and not have to lose him for nothing.

Also, related.

Last edited:
If George wants to play in LAL that's his prerogative. Indy currently has a shit roster. I wouldn't want to stay either
Exactly, but on the other hand, if he does end up joining the Lakers in free agency next year, there's the fact that he'll be a 28(?)-year-old ending up on a team that's likely not competing for a championship for at least the next few years. I would love for him to play here for the rest of his career, but if the dude wants to leave behind some sort of legacy, we all know that having a ring is the deciding factor.

Of course, the Lakers' draft picks can all somehow play out of their minds and give PG a chance to save the NBA. :)

Lakers trade D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov to the Brooklyn Nets for Brook Lopez and the #27 pick this draft.

Kevin Ding wrote a piece about the Lakers being concerned with Russell's and Randle's professionalism, and he's "coincidentally" being traded (as well as Randle being in talks to be included in a PG deal with the #27 and #28 picks). I hope there's a follow-up deal soon, would've been dumb to just dump that Mozgov deal with DLo. Could've held onto Mozgov for another year when we could've gotten more back given there'll only be 2 years left on that deal.

In any case, this move means we have up to $30m in cap space next summer.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
please dont trade porzingis and draft markkanen as a replacement phil, holy FUCK

please dont trade porzingis and draft markkanen as a replacement phil, holy FUCK
It's exactly the kind of thing where you're like "they wouldn't be THAT stupid, right?" then you realise that it's the knicks, it's possible. It's like they've engaged the Kings in a contest of stupidity and general fuckery. Hopefully they don't do it and they probably won't.

Also Hawks giving away starting calibre players for free lol

Last edited:
I guess this guarantees a Lonzo Ball pick for LA?
Not quite yet. Apparently we wanted to trade #2 for the Kings' #5 and #10 (one of which will be sent for PG) but they turned it down. Either means we're not strongly leaning towards anyone or that we believe Lonzo will be there at #5. Either way it's weird because the Kings wanted to trade those for the #3 pick, but now that we're offering the same deal but one slot higher they say no. Maybe Vlade is still salty about being traded in 1996 and the series in 2002.

In any case I don't like how that got leaked. Pacers know we're willing to offer more than the rumoured Randle/Clarkson + #27 + #28.

I don't think I understand why the Lakers are trying to build a package to trade for George.

The only benefit to bringing him in this season is having his Bird rights, so they could make their push for a second max player next summer. But, would a LeBron really go to the Lakers? The free agent list for 2018 besides LeBron and PG is pretty thin.

I don't think I understand why the Lakers are trying to build a package to trade for George.

The only benefit to bringing him in this season is having his Bird rights, so they could make their push for a second max player next summer. But, would a LeBron really go to the Lakers? The free agent list for 2018 besides LeBron and PG is pretty thin.
It's bird rights, the ability to restructure his contract (like OKC did with Russ), and to prevent him from staying with whichever contender might want to trade for him. It's also a lot easier to convince other free agents to come by saying "we have Paul George" than "uh we're also chasing Paul George"

It's bird rights, the ability to restructure his contract (like OKC did with Russ), and to prevent him from staying with whichever contender might want to trade for him. It's also a lot easier to convince other free agents to come by saying "we have Paul George" than "uh we're also chasing Paul George"
In yesterday's Dunc'd On podcast, they mentioned that the trade pieces would end up being some of the salary LA needs to dump in order to free a second max salary. So, in addition to your point, they'd need to get rid of players regardless. I understand the logic now.

In yesterday's Dunc'd On podcast, they mentioned that the trade pieces would end up being some of the salary LA needs to dump in order to free a second max salary. So, in addition to your point, they'd need to get rid of players regardless. I understand the logic now.
If we can find a landing spot for Clarkson, stretch Deng, and not retain Randle, we can open about $64m in cap space, though that was before the projected cap dropped to $99m. Guess that cap space is reduced to $61m now.

Jimmy buckets, Wiggins & Bigfoot-Towns..hype.

Feel bad for Bull fans though, not sure what their direction is. Alright my wait for the 14th pick continues, let's see what the Heat have planned!

Bulls took the risk by taking LaVine coming off a torn ACL, and gave up their own first rounder in the process. Wade probably regrets sticking around now.

Awards have been announced.

Most Improved Player: Giannis Antetokounmpo
6th Man of the Year: Eric Gordon
Defensive Player of the Year: Draymond Green
Rookie of the Year: Malcolm Brogdon
Coach of the Year: Mike D'Antoni
Most Valuable Player: Russell Westbrook
Executive of the Year: Bob Myers

All-Defensive First Team: Draymond Green, Rudy Gobert, Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul, Patrick Beverley
All-Defensive Second Team: Tony Allen, Danny Green, Anthony Davis, Andre Roberson, Giannis Antetokounmpo

All-Rookie First Team: Malcolm Brogdon, Dario Saric, Joel Embiid, Buddy Hield, Willy Hernangomez
All-Rookie Second Team: Jamal Murray, Jaylen Brown, Marquese Chriss, Brandon Ingram, Yogi Ferrell

It's not even enjoyable to be a Bulls fan.

Have literally nothing going for them.. have no bright future.. the decision makers are making every wrong decision..

Forever in the middle of the pack.. which is the deadliest place to be for a franchise.

Rockets have emerged to be serious threats to sign Chris Paul, which means Morey likely has deals lined up to get rid of guys like Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon to sign him outright. Apparently Sacramento is a candidate to take Anderson, and Jazz want Beverley.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)