Big (Official) Cyberpunk Mafia - The Many [s]Others[/s] Steamrollers Rolled Over You.

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so here's a wrap up of the game from my POV. As the village leader, here's what happened.

So, my game plan was simple. I wanted to lead from day 0. I saw I had a good role, did not have confidence others who WERE good leaders would have time to lead, and I went for it. Then, I got randed twice (lol), and at the time nobody knew how cheap frame was so there we were. My plan to win the game was almost entirely centric around manipulating the scum teams. I spent a LONG time communicating with Agape, Narwall, and OM Room while he was in the game, significantly more than any villager. The way I saw it, town actions were okay but there were only 5 members of each scum team and every single cross kill ALSO meant 1 less kill on town so it was a HUGE plus. I leveraged not lynching the Robots in exchange for them cross killing, and even though I wasn't going to lynch AIs I still leveraged it with them for info. This continued throughout the game, and there are hundreds of lines of chat with me and Narwall and Shade.

Here's the thing. You can criticize the mafias for playing poorly if you want, sure. The reason town won, imo, is because of how quickly I got a full sheet, how quickly I sheeted people (had 3 n0), how I only sheeted correctly, and how the mafias cross killed. It would be fair to say the mafia played poorly, but honestly I want to take credit for that and you may disagree but in my mind that's how it went down. I was micromanaging the FUCK out of mafias. Like, as an example, n1 I had Jalmont watch who Robots were going to kill if they hadn't killed Archipelago. At this point, I knew Jalmont was Robot, had him do it anyways. He asked why I didn't have him watch Archipelago, and I postured about how I wanted to express loyalty to Robots and how if they killed for town I shouldn't watch their kills out of respect. Now, maybe he went to his robot chat and said I could be trusted and maybe he didn't, but it would have affected his subconscious most likely and I did things like that all game long. And, of course, the entire time I was shading other teams and making them not trust each other but NOT saying things I could get called out on; I made sure to say some risque stuff on PS for example so Narwall wouldn't have the logs.

It was not chance the mafias cross killed a fair bit. The "correct" play is for them to all gangbang town at least for 3 or 4 nights. However, that isn't how it plays out in practice because if you have the option of getting out of the lynch in exchange for not shooting town you do that; 5 members does NOT leave expendable people, and you aren't going to sacrifice your game for a "mafias" win rather than a town win. And, eliminating 1 team is NOT good for town, despite what Agape tried to pitch to me. That was their goal, forcing the other 2 to gangbang town. Fair enough in theory... except that I made sure there were casualties on the other teams. Information management was huge in this game, and I'm proud of what I did around that. I picked and clawed little bits of info from Agape, leveraged that to get a few full things from Narwall, and leverage that into getting OM Room to give me the full sheet and Narwall ended up giving me half of it anyways; all 3 teams leaked the mafia sheet, so don't ya'll go blaming each other like I see above. It's fine to criticize play, but saying the way I played had nothing to do that is pretty insulting to me because my entire game was around social manipulation.

Yea yea josh, we get it, you think you're the greatest player who ever lived. Okay, let's talk about info management. I don't think there was anything intrinsically wrong. We didn't know scum all had 6 and most village had 5, I myself had 6, so that really wasn't a giveaway. I don't really care about how cheap alliance checks were, because they were unreliable as all hell itg. I caught maybe 3 or 4 scum using them? The rest was through gameplay alone, including all lynches before I was killed. I had a full sheet by d3 and most of a sheet by d2; that wasn't from a lack of effort. I pressured the fuck out of people for claims, people will attest to that, because without a full claim sheet there's no way to actually catch scum reliably.

You can say scum were screwed, but the scum who claimed properly were the last ones we caught; Zorbees, Rein, ...that's it. Martin claimed alias and then I had to message like 8 times he kept even refusing to talk to me, saying he wasn't even doing night actions, etc... and then we saw his alias on a random other watcher. Shade flat out didn't answer PMs. Rodan didn't answer PMs other than to give alias. Narwall, Agape, and Shubaka, 3 publicly claimed mafia, were 3 of 8 people who didn't vote on a lynch... and 3 of the others were Rodan/Martin/MXMTS aka all scum. Like wtf? No clue how scum caught Oddish, they informed me that alias might be AI and when I didn't lynch it they shot it. Champ fakeclaimed an alias, I lied and said someone else claimed it and she then claimed her real alias when I knew she was scum from the other stuff in my case I posted....... like lmao? Haruno flat out didn't play the game. Oh, back to Champ, did I mention the alias she fakeclaimed was Knoll AKA her teammate AND she said she knew nobody ccd her because she knew who had the alias but she claimed anyways? And then I pressured that slot and got a guilty. Again, there's a factor of bad play, but there's also a factor of my skill that it took to get all of this shit. Shubaka wouldn't fake being diplomatic, so his team got massacred up until said team also gave me the full and complete action sheet :thinking:. MXMTS claimed scum when I pressured him. I lied and said I had a guilty on him. I just thought he was scummy from play in our pms. Jalmont, well, played fine for the most part, he I caught from an inspect early on and played to my advantage. One of the few scum that didn't play like shit. He claimed well, role and alias, at a believable time. Pidge is another in the same category; had him clear acid for me and then had him guiltied back. Solid play overall from what was public. Agape I knew was going to stab me so I stabbed him first, I've gone over what I've done with him. Rein played good as well; guiltied him or something I actually don't remember. Rodan and Shade request mafia and to be on the same team every time, but flat out ignoring me and refusing to take actions or do anything productive certainly didn't help. Twin help me finalize my guilty on them on playstyle in our chat, mostly Rodan.

The TL;DR of the above is that the only scum who actually claimed believably, acted townie in taking actions, and even tried to put in an effort are Jalmont, Pidge, Rein, and Zorbees.... less than a third. Don't blame it being hard to fake claim on the loss, scum didn't even try this game. They outed themselves. Tbh, I was disappointed when I rolled village because I thought this game was scumsided due to 3 opposing kills. Perhaps based on DLE post it was a bit townsided, who knows. I didn't sheet anyone off of results really though; it was off play almost entirely. Then, Acid got sheeted when I trusted him and I used him to truly clear people, but yea.

Now: for where I fucked up. I really am sorry for what happened with the drama in the thread. I stand by the people who were calling me scum for not lynching a robot in 2 days and trying to start a mutiny: it was virtually guaranteed one scum team wouldn't have died yet short of mass cross kills, and by pure odds it was extremely likely. And, Robots cross killed, that really wasn't a hard agreement to spot. I handled it very immaturely though. I was on very low sleep, working too much, and I didn't react well. I should have been much more mature about it, rather than insulting people. The thing is, from my POV my entire gameplan was literally cross manipulating scum, I put VERY little value into actions from n1 when I realized just how unimportant most were. BTW, Apricity, that's why I kept forgetting to give actions and told people to rand just in case; only a few were actually important, your random alliance check wasn't. I know I technically should have been more on top of that, and that's my bad, but it wasn't actually relevant to us winning it would've just been busy work that I didn't have time for. And, for obvious reasons, I can't publicly post "my gameplan is to pit scum against each other and have them kill each other"... and saying that privately outside of my sheet chat doesn't work because I don't know who's mafia. FH, Apricity, Ullar you might legitimately be the three most obnoxious mafia players I've ever played with and I don't overly want to play with the latter two again, but I am sorry for not handling it more maturely and that part is completely on me. I was pretty cringy in my posting, I'm ngl that was mostly AtE so ya'll would shut up but it was still not ideal and a pretty scummy way to put off the problem. Fun fact: I asked my gym partner how to deal with annoying people as a leader and she said to make a poll; that's where the strawpoll came from. A quick 5 minute post from the gym. I wasn't lying, I probably won't play another OC on this site because honestly that part of the game just wasn't fun for me, not something I handled well, and not something I want to reexperience.

Thanks for modding AG and a bit Blazade. You made some modding decisions I really disagree with but deadlines, results, and actions were swift, you answered the questions you actually answered pretty quickly, and there were very few mod errors afaik which is nice for a game this complicated. As someone who had to deal with giving actions twice, must've been annoying from a hosting side too. Ya'll did a good job. Paperblade, thanks for being active while you were alive, DLE, thanks for being active while the rest of the people sheeted weren't and being the person keeping me same. You may not be a close friend but you're one of my favorite people on smogon jsyk. Walrein/Flyhn/Memoric/whoever else was sheeted early I'm forgetting: I'm ngl, I'm pretty disappointed how little you helped me. I kept coming with info from scum teams about stuff and strat talk and action talk and advice and stuff and got very little in return. I know you may have been busy irl, but from my pov it was really annoying not having more active leadership. I almost lolsheeted DLE n2 (would've worked out fine but not a good play obv) because of how little ya'll were talking. Ah well.

Despite all my bitching, I did have fun for a lot of this game and IDC what others think but I personally was very proud of my play and am happy with it as a whole. GG all, I think I covered everything ? If you're wondering why my posts are so long it's because I'm an English minor so feck off.

Last edited:

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
reinfleche got guiltied off of night#s who I trusted with my soul not copying reinfleche making a BPV that night plus someone had a specific enemy team check for AI turn up guilty on n3 IIRC

At this point, I knew Jalmont was Robot, had him do it anyways. He asked why I didn't have him watch Archipelago, and I postured about how I wanted to express loyalty to Robots and how if they killed for town I shouldn't watch their kills out of respect. Now, maybe he went to his robot chat and said I could be trusted and maybe he didn't, but it would have affected his subconscious most likely and I did things like that all game long.
nah i just thought u were being dumb lol

all 3 teams leaked the mafia sheet, so don't ya'll go blaming each other like I see above. It's fine to criticize play, but saying the way I played had nothing to do that is pretty insulting to me because my entire game was around social manipulation.
well i certainly had no part in my team leaking the sheet. not sure why anyone thought it was a good idea to give you free info but w/e. a lot of that i think stemmed from the fact that people viewed the village as an equal faction to the mafia simply because they were uninformed which clearly becomes problematic once the village actually gets organized and is able to use powers to their full extent

You can say scum were screwed, but the scum who claimed properly were the last ones we caught; Zorbees, Rein, ...that's it. Martin claimed alias and then I had to message like 8 times he kept even refusing to talk to me, saying he wasn't even doing night actions, etc... and then we saw his alias on a random other watcher. Shade flat out didn't answer PMs. Rodan didn't answer PMs other than to give alias. Narwall, Agape, and Shubaka, 3 publicly claimed mafia, were 3 of 8 people who didn't vote on a lynch... and 3 of the others were Rodan/Martin/MXMTS aka all scum. Like wtf? No clue how scum caught Oddish, they informed me that alias might be AI and when I didn't lynch it they shot it. Champ fakeclaimed an alias, I lied and said someone else claimed it and she then claimed her real alias when I knew she was scum from the other stuff in my case I posted....... like lmao? Haruno flat out didn't play the game. Oh, back to Champ, did I mention the alias she fakeclaimed was Knoll AKA her teammate AND she said she knew nobody ccd her because she knew who had the alias but she claimed anyways? And then I pressured that slot and got a guilty. Again, there's a factor of bad play, but there's also a factor of my skill that it took to get all of this shit. Shubaka wouldn't fake being diplomatic, so his team got massacred up until said team also gave me the full and complete action sheet :thinking:. MXMTS claimed scum when I pressured him. I lied and said I had a guilty on him. I just thought he was scummy from play in our pms. Jalmont, well, played fine for the most part, he I caught from an inspect early on and played to my advantage. One of the few scum that didn't play like shit. He claimed well, role and alias, at a believable time. Pidge is another in the same category; had him clear acid for me and then had him guiltied back. Solid play overall from what was public. Agape I knew was going to stab me so I stabbed him first, I've gone over what I've done with him. Rein played good as well; guiltied him or something I actually don't remember. Rodan and Shade request mafia and to be on the same team every time, but flat out ignoring me and refusing to take actions or do anything productive certainly didn't help. Twin help me finalize my guilty on them on playstyle in our chat, mostly Rodan.
yes this was really irritating for me. i hate calling people out but besides me pidge and to an extent agape no one was really giving a fuck on our team. i basically told me what to fake claim but no one bothered to actually do it until it was too late. our sub for martin admitted to bging a claimed mafia. lol. none of the mafias deserved to win the game because half of each team didn't really put in any effort. not to say i cared a lot, i certainly fucked up but still it was annoying people didn't even try. im not going to play the game for people i know some people enjoy doing that but i dont.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Okay, so here's a wrap up of the game from my POV.
Agape-01/13/2018
archipelago is AI and won't die to nonexpert kill probably

I want to have archipelago killed, our cyb and village relations rest on it

also I think that it's strategically better than 2 kills

if you disagree we can have the team vote on it

pidge-01/13/2018
the village is gonna be quite ahead with that

Agape-01/13/2018
I think that's strategically ok

I do think that our best strategy is to concentrate on killing a single mafia team

pidge-01/13/2018
who is the one that wants you to kill archipelago again?

Agape-01/13/2018
while allying with the village

I came up with the plan myself

and sold it to cybs and village

josh is really warming up to me

if you disagree with the plan we can have the team vote on it

You can say how much you manipulated the crossfire, but our team in particular wholeheartedly believed in killing other mafias at the first part of the game. I don't consider this 'wrong' play either. I myself was hesitant about this, but as a whole we believed we could kill other mafia as long as the amount of alive mafia after the killings was about half as much as the alive villagers or greater. I think this was a conservative estimate too, considering how our team alone could kill two people every night with mxmts, control point donation, and the village vigilante ability (costs 6 for mxmts), while the other mafias probably had extra kills too. This wasn't factoring in stuff like persuasion either. So on average there would be 4 mafia killers at night, and 1 lynch a day (village vigilantes got randed early). This means we had a lot of leeway with the mafia:village ratio. And apparently the three mafias could have controlled the lynch from the very start. However, things obviously didn't go that way. The expected amount of kills from mafia per night was so sensitive to which individual mafia role was lynched and sensitive to how fast the village was organizing their abilities to block kills. I anticipated the latter with how Josh was doing, but not the former.

At the start of N3 we basically decided no more crossfiring could occur, especially since we didn't have the mxmts extra kill every cycle anymore (we needed every member that isn't me alive to donate control points on mxmts every cycle). If we didn't whittle down the village sufficiently that night and the nights after, it would be an easy village win. However, AI did not see it that way, and they wasted/failed kills (on us presumptuously). After N3, I do believe the game was over for any of the mafia teams. I did try to convince AI to aim at village, but they didn't see their own impending doom on N3 despite my pleas.

Also, crossfire isn't the only thing we did. On N1, we aimed our two kills at Archipelago and Stream. The kill on Stream, who was apparently quite important, was blocked. On N2 we expert killed Knoll. On N3 we killed Beach and Lagoon.

What I believe to be Robots' major errors:

On N1 we omniguarded mxmts, meaning he didn't get points from our donation ability because omniguard prevents receiving donations. To be fair, I/we were under the impression that donation occurred during day, when you bought all your actions, but I had not even considered the omniguard interaction in the first place, and I should have asked about it. This type of hosting style is sort of unique to me. From my experiences, hosts on Smogon usually tell you you're about to fuck up like this with your own actions. However, I'm not saying I disagree with AG. I was secretly really upset about this, mainly at myself, because I do believe you should be punished for your mistakes. And maybe the hosts didn't realize it until during the time actions were processed? Regardless, totally our team's screw up. If this didn't happen, we would have had two kills on N2, although the team was really pushing for that expert kill instead.

Agape was our public representative, and he didn't give us a log of everything he was doing. I think I got like one log from him. He is an experienced player on Smogon, so I trusted him to be handling things okay. I suppose I should have just asked for a log of everything so I could see what was going on more directly. Anyway, in one of his early talks with Cyborgs (shubaka), they tried to collaborate on a list of villagers to kill from, and somehow he fucked it up. SOMEHOW, the list included his own alias and mxmt's alias (our best role). I think he tried to redo this list later on, but I think this list affected what AI did as well, and it wasn't fully rectified. Also, on N2 he was expertly killed by the other mafia, and this was somewhat of a blindside. Agape himself says he should have kept closer tabs on what the other mafias were doing, or he could have at least reinforced no crossfiring to them (it was fine for us to crossfire secretly of course :)). Oh, and the leaking of faction frame being a thing seems pretty huge to me, but I don't know how much Agape had to do with that. Overall, I very much appreciate Agape's initiative and activity, but I think he really needs to be careful of what he communicates.

mxmts and Martin/tonithetourguide were really bad about claiming. I don't know the specifics of when or how they claimed, but it probably should have been done earlier, and they should have kept up with Josh more frequently. I fault myself on some of this, because I could have micromanaged them as the more experienced player. However, I will say mxmts put in some great effort after he was outed by Josh. He may have messed up early on with claiming, but I think he did his best after that, and I like that.

I think Martin did almost absolutely nothing besides maybe sending a message or two to Josh and trying to get subbed. I guess we could play it off as though Martin couldn't communicate with Josh because he was busy and he was in fact being subbed. However, when he was subbed by tonithetourguide, things didn't get better for that player slot. Like I don't think I had read one single word tonithetourguide had ever wrote. I can ctrl+F toni in our mafia group PM and I will not find a single message from this player. I courteously invited this player to speak up or ask questions in the group PM or in our mafia Discord channel when they were about to be subbed in, but I got absolutely nothing. I guess I figured they too could play it off as some afk player like Martin? Nope, that's not what happened. You want to know the first words I read from this player? It is found in post #385 of this thread. After I read that, I was basically done with the game, although we had probably already lost by then anyway. I don't understand these people that sign up for games, but make no effort to 'play', which includes talking to teammates.

As for Jalmont, I believe this is my second time on a mafia team with him. The first time was in GUZMAfia, and he didn't take that much of an active role and we lost. That is not why we lost, but it's funny because in a mafia game shortly after that, dnd/Tabletop Mafia, he basically carried his mafia team to victory, while I was village. Now, here in Cyberpunk Mafia, he put in his fair share of effort, but I don't think it matched his Tabletop Mafia performance, and we lost. Basically, Jalmont's out to make sure I lose and he has been cucking me from victory. :puff:

But seriously, I don't have any qualms with him. I think we agreed we both could have guided mxmts and Martin/tonithetourguide more.

As for Josh, he obviously did great, but I think he is overselling some of the stuff he accomplished or supposedly accomplished. It seems like he applied a lot of NOC skills to this game, which many would consider risky as fuck when sheeting, but he was on the mark and didn't lose. It's too bad he won't be playing more OC on Smogon. It's fun to interact with these headstrong type players for me, but I don't like NOC (it's all dumb pretentious bullshit lol), but I understand where he is coming from.

Last edited:

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can't speak for Agape obviously, but I was mafia with him last official and we had a dominating win. I was the village mole and he was the publicly known "wolf" (lol). He got a ton of ingo from kill lists, using it to poe teams. Of course, I managed to get a hold of his kill lists and I knew he'd have done that so I played around that. He was constantly doing what he did last game; trying to get random bits of info such as "is x y alias? is z a role", but from playing with him I know just how good his info management is so I refused to give him anything and lied about a lot I have him in small ways.

Yea, one team getting run down would be a perfectly fine strat for mafia. And, I do like Agape and consider him quite smart so "warming up" is fair enough. I knew that was suboptimal for village though, which is why I pressured narwalls a lot until he killed agape. I still tried to work with mxmts in exchange for not lynching him, because diplomacy. Crossfiring ONE other team would be fine, but the problem is you sunk a kill into AIs and then flipped on Cyborgs, and I made sure they were aware it was Robots. That ruined either trusting you, and you also weakened the other team making running down town harder; when there's only 5 members, every member counts a ton. And yea, I definitely overstated my effect at some parts, but that's why I said that was how it played out from my perspective.

Postgame, part 1 of 3:

The premise of game was for the three mafias to realize very quickly that they could not match the village on their own. Indeed, the three mafias combined had slightly less night power than the village (outside their kills). However, with their unity, they could, spam a few abilities: Silence, Persuade, and Faction Frame, as well as Ninja, Results Thief, and Copy Protection - though second list was for if they suspected someone was causing problems, and was meant for later use in the game. With coordination, the mafia could rule the lynch, starting from the first day - only a few vigilantes could strike back. This is why the mafia infighting rule was added - to give the village a chance - so that the mafias would, as the village crumbled over the first couple days, start striking each other until trust broke down, and they slacked off of killing the village, allowing the village a chance to recover. The village would have plenty of false info results - though more true than false - which the mafia could use to mole, making it more of a standard game with smaller but more numerous mafias.

So, how this plan broke down:

Well, multiple mafias crossfired from the start, tried to work with the village, and even outed the secret actions - the secrecy of which was their main power. This led to the village to rely mostly on Gandalf’s tamper-proof inspecting power (which WAS intended, but not for this scenario) and removed most of the intended paranoia (re: keep the village from truly uniting) and instead turned it into purely village leadership just slaughtering the mafia one by one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Each mafia had a strength, a moderate power, and a weakness. This was 14/10/6. The Cyborgs (14 C, 6 I, 10 P) were targeting the AIs (10 C, 14 I, 6 P), targeting in turn the Robots (6 C, 10 I, 14 P) - so each mafia’s strength denoted their target’s 2nd strongest stat and their weakness denoted the other’s strength, etc.

This didn’t extend to the innates. The Cyborg innates boosted their weak info a little while boosting their Protection a lot, so they were hard to kill, but low on information - weaker flesh brains than of the other two factions.

The AIs were more of a balance between Control and Protect with heavy info-boosting, befitting being created of information - which is to say, where the Cyborgs were powerful they were knowing.

Robots, meanwhile, had less action point boosts with their innates, and more expert acting - Stone Golem was Expert, bar kills, and Data could take non-kills during the day (which was even stronger, because it was before trackers/watchers could act). They had a little boost to Control and Info to go with it.

The village was closer to an even spread. They had a few people with predispositions to certain roles, though. Kaladin and Superman were both protectors, Bayonetta could do a full safeguard on, say, someone who bought a BPV, Morrigan was mean to perform hooks, Vaarsuvius and Wander both had abilities to give them access to Kills, Gandhi became an even mightier vigilante if he lived long enough (he did). Village also had a few other powerhouses in certain stats - the intention was for some of them to die but the others to serve as the backbone of the town once the mafias started fighting.

In retrospect, mafia needed to be closer to 12/10/8 rather than 14/10/6 and have more ways to fake being weaker, and village needed less Info power. Also, some powers needed rebalancing, as did the points-saving mechanic.

The intent of this was for no one to be stuck with a single weak power they don’t like. We balanced around everyone trying for cheese, but only the village did their power spam at the start. Well, one of the mafias did lots of specific enemy team checks, which was a plausible strat - except that left them open in turn.

Let’s go over the powers now
You already know the village powers
one of the mafia action sheets (they’re all the same, bar the name)

CONTROL ACTION
TYPE Hook (2) - intended for mafia to hook villagers if they knew their specialty, or for anyone (especially villagers) to try and crack mafia defenses. I think this was fairly balanced
Safe Martyr (3)[/b] - a standard role, meant to interfere with the mafia - for any mafia using it could get outed (though see redirect)
Limited Redirect (4) - more expensive, but more control and less risk of being outed. Could not force self-targeting.
True Martyr (5) - standard role, and it wasn’t used much. Probably Hook was more desired. Still, mafia could use it to bypass Hook SG, which was more common than Redirect SG.
Hook (5) - Probably underpriced a little, given that it costs the same as True Martyr. Possibly should have cost 6 instead of 5. Could not force self-targeting.
True Redirect (6) - Didn’t see much use, but most controllers died or preferred hook actions. I think it was balanced, though.

CONTROL DAY
Silence (1) - meant to be spammed by mafia early; putting it here was our way of warning the village what the mafia could do. Later game was intended for it to get some use in either cheaply negating persuades or blocking some votes.
Persuade (2) - meant to be spammed by mafia early, to rule the lynch from the word go. Was primarily used as a means of alias confirmation - if I were to do this again, this power would NOT require posting the vote - it would be automatic and can be ignored in text, just their vote, no matter what, would instead count that way. (Persuade should not be an alias check.)
Negate Vote (3) - meant for use if anyone decided to spam vote increases, while not actually warning the target. Unlike Silence/Persuade, which would signal “buy Vote Protect” in a neon sign.
Nullify Overflow (3) - a way to throw a wrench into save-up-and-kill strategies. Wasn’t really used.
Permanent Vote Increase (6) - overpriced, sorry. Probably should have only cost 4. Meant for late-game strats.
Points Drain (X) - meant as a delayed TYPE hook with variable cost. Also bypasses Hook SG.
Priority Tiebreak (X) - meant to resolve priority loops, like x kills y kills x, or x safeguards self, but is hooked by y problems (as well as silence vs persuade). It actually came into effect a couple times, including the day of the masshook.

MAFIA CONTROL
Force Spending (2) - Meant to force action, giving a target to hook next cycle
Force Saving (3) - Delayed hook, but more potent than point drain.
Make Kill Expert (6) - overpriced, sorry. Usually another kill via vigilante for slightly more cost was the better option. Especially since this action, unless used on oneself, was not itself expert. Technically, this was only almost Expert Kill - Stone Golem’s protective roles would win unless prio boost was on this, and in the 50-player version, a single townie had a role that downgraded Expert kills against them into just regular kills.
Donate Points (X) - sacrifice some points this cycle, and the target gets extra points in a category. Those extra points last until spent or converted to saved points (they only persisted as floating for one cycle - but remained as saved points after, which were permanent until spent/negated). This allowed the mafia to save up for extra-powerful abilities, if they couldn’t normally buy them. If I had to do this over again, I’d make this a universal mafia action - something they could use in any category to donate to any other category, rather than just from control. This was meant to be a cornerstone mafia power, but one mafia was completely shafted out of being able to do much with this.

INFO INSPECT
Specific Enemy Team Check (1) - The restrictions were to prevent villagers from SET checking for their own team - making it absurdly too cheap - and to prevent them from working with one-two others to check someone for all alignments - full alignment checks were meant to be for stronger individuals.
Vote Check (3) - Meant for spotting suspected mayors in contested games.
Alliance Check (3) - Very Underpriced - village could spam this to find too many enemies too fast, and unite too quickly for the balancing. Should have been worth 5 or 6.
Innate Check (3) - Underpriced - too easy to find enemies this way. Should have been worth 4 or 5.
Points Check (3) - Underpriced - too easy to find enemies this way. Should have been worth 4 or 5.
Full Inspect (7) - beats Faction Frame, but falls to Dickens. Probably a fair pricing - it’s other stuff that needs adjustment.
Full Inspect + Track - Primarily meant for mafians to get a guess as to the alignment of their target’s target and what said next person might be.

INFO TARGETING
Innate Targeting Info (1) - Wasn’t used much (but some). It was meant to, after a bit, reveal if someone had a powerful ability, or a passive buffing something. Probably should have cost more.
Number of Targets (1) - Wasn’t used much (but some), meant for detecting action spammers or people who were saving points or who were using one big action. Probably should have cost more.
Track (3) - in a game balanced around action spam, this should have cost more. It was meant to be countered by ninja after the mafia used faction frame spam and the village started using this more, but it just wound up being something stronger than faction chek.
Watch (5) - Actually weaker than track, due to 1-point actions being a thing. Village was meant to lose their leaders with alarming frequency, with this being to let them catch a scum for their disorganization. Probably should have swapped track/watch in price
Track + Watch (7) - Just a discount on the above, for using both on the same person. Was also meant for getting enough targeting info to get an idea about what a person was doing and who’s side they were on.
Point Spot (+2) - A modifier to strengthen either Track or Watch. I think this should have cost a lot more on Track.
Track + Watch with Points (10) - an ultimate power meant for mafia and Gandalf alone. It didn’t actually see use, though.

MAFIA INFO
Result Thief (2) - Mafia gets nice things. Like getting a copy of their target’s inspection info, or other things that happened, including how many points they saved.
Ninja (3) - Slight modification to the normal ninja - instead of being immune to enemy watchers, they affected what watchers saw whthem. Track was unchanged, which is good because track was stronger.
Faction Frame (3) - Dickens that’s beat by Full Inspect. Should have cost less, and shouldn’t have been leaked to village by the mafia. This was meant to be a massive wrench in village organization, as “inspected mafia” turned up town or “inspected town” were actually mafia.
Dickens (8) - Very overpriced; this was the only thing that could counter points check and full inspect. Sorry mafia, this was meant for a critical moment once faction frame got you in, to counter a truly powerful inspect you saw coming.

PROTECT OTHER
Kill Decoy (3) - only blocked by Hook/Redirect + Protect SG on the victim and by Redirect + Protect SG on the killer (and expert kills). Or by hooking the guy doing this, or redirecting him (see Harmless Decoy). Meant to be a way for village leaders to make the mafia work at killing them a little.
Harmless Decoy (4) - On one hand, it could protect some roles from being hooked or silenced or persuaded. On the other hand, mafia could use it to divert Kill Decoys and Doctors. This was a double-edged ability, and I think it functioned well.
Beneficial Safeguard (4) - Buffed Harmless Decoy. Self-target allowed - this with Doctor is rare and isn’t impenetrable (even Superman could be beaten by priority boost)
Doctor (4) - improved version of Kill Decoy. I think this and Beneficial Safeguard were mostly fairly priced - maybe they should have been worth one more, just to reflect the intended lethality of this game. We decided to allow self-target - see above.
Complete Decoy (5) - In addition to making SG and Doctor cost 5, this probably should have cost 4 - since this reveals a person involved in the redirection (redirected to), and might reveal someone with decent protect points.
2-man Kill Decoy (8) - if one target would die, the person using this action would still redirect from the other person, too.
2-man Harmless Decoy (8) - If one person would be hooked or otherwise impaired but is protected by this, then this action still protects the other person from non-kills.

PROTECT SELF
Single Rogue (1) - filler ability, meant for either really educated guesses or for showing watchers, see, you DID target that person.
Hook + Protect SG (2) - Can’t be hooked, but also can’t be protected by other things. Intended as a heavily nerfed version of Expert.
Hook + Redirect SG (2) - Can’t be redirected, but also can’t be protected by other things. Intended as a heavily nerfed version of Expert.
Vote Protect (2) - For anyone who wants protection from silence/persuade spam (honestly expected the village to start needing this cycle 1 as they realized what the mafia can do - thus making there be a lot fewer other protection powers going around).
Faction Rogue (5) - Single rogue + blocks their faction kill (meaning if they targeted a vig, they’d be protected from both, but if they targeted a non-vig, the vig could still kill them). So, not quite foolproof early on (but becomes stronger later)
Self SG Vest (5) - On cycles AFTER you buy this, get Beneficial SG on yourself if it would help, just once. Powerful, but no BPV
BPV (7) - immunity to one kill on a following cycle. The mafia should never use this though - they have something better.

MAFIA PROTECT
Copy Protection (2) - The mightiest ability of them all. If they bought 2 of these, then they could copy 2 of Hook+Protect SG, Redirect+Protect SG, [any combination of other protect roles]. Yes, this was in defiance of the SG powers. If they got either of the SG powers used on them from this, it wouldn’t interfere with other people protecting them, either.
Upgrade to Vest (3) - Combined with Doctor for 4, a strictly better BPV. Also useful for delayed Decoys and SGs.
Protection from Actions 10-X (X) - drop one point on protection each cycle, immune to Vigilantes. Drop 3, and Dickens only bothers with points checks.
Omniguard (5) - Mafia get nice things - though it would draw some attention from info roles failing.

In short, this system had potential, but it needs some rebalancing, and the way we set it up made it have a few crucial flaws (such as choice paralysis and encouraging idling one night).

Blazade: I think encouraging point saving is more than a fair trade for allowing some point actions to be ½ nights, but I personally failed to account for the fact that most weak info roles would rather go for ½ alliance check than using weaker roles every night. This could have been most easily remedied by making the alliance check more expensive, but another misstep of mine was thinking that making the alliance check cheaper would leave them more susceptible to falling for a frame job. I think the Control/Protect/Expert balance was mostly well handled, but if anything it could have been a little more offensively skewed.

Generally speaking, making every single member of each mafia have exactly 6 points was a bad idea, and undermined the paranoia that was intended. They should have had ways to mask their exact power.

In addition to their secret powers, each was allowed to submit a list of 20 names and get 7 (holdover from 50-player version) that weren’t in. And, they were told that most villagers had 5 points, some less. Keyword: some. We did NOT intend for lots of 4-point claims off of that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AIs - targeting Robots, hunted by Cyborgs

Dear ShadyNarwall
Alias: Delta

You are Skynet.

When you had nearly conquered the world, a few humans opposed you. So, you sent a Terminator back in time to stop their leader from being born. This Terminator got destroyed and reverse-engineered to create Skynet. Wow, time travel is confusing.

Your Control Actions cost one point less, to a minimum of one.

Control: 3
Info: 3
Protection: 0

You are allied with the AIs. You win if you fulfill the AIs condition named in the rules.
Basically a controller specialized in spamming persuades or using slightly better Control powers than one would expect of a 3-pointer. Also good at investigating or interfering via Faction Frame.

Dear shade
Alias: Swamp

You are SHODAN.

Sentient Hyper-Optimized Data Access Network, the System Shock antagonist. You started as just an AI, but then you were corrupted and became megalomanic. Also, you see humanity as a plague that must be destroyed.

You may buy the mafia-only Dickens role for half points, but may not use this power two cycles in a row.

Control: 2
Info: 4

You are allied with the AIs. You win if you fulfill the AIs condition named in the rules.
Weaker at control, but if they focused on Dickens, they could get it n0, then 2/3 of all remaining nights, with 1, 4, 7, etc not having anything. That this is the only role to have tried it is more proof that Dickens should have already been cheaper.

Blazade: I disagree, I think the dickens, like the full inspect, should only be used in a situation where you think it needs to be used. Mafia were never in a position where that was the case and I think that’s fine.

Dear Reinfleche
Alias: Plateau

You are HAL 9000.

As lots of people have pointed out, “HAL” is a one-letter offset from “IBM”. You were sent on a mission to Jupiter with two instructions: Keep the real mission secret from the crew; and when they get to Jupiter, show the crew a video that will let them know what the mission is. Solution to the crew talking about shutting you down and to your instructions simultaneously? A crew of 0.

All fixed-point Protection abilities (read: all village-available powers and some mafia-only powers) cost half-price for you.

Info: 1
Protection: 3

Basically a guard role. Half-price, unless otherwise specified, meant down, then up, then down, etc. on a per-buy basis. Control points were for the intended silence/persuade spam early, followed perhaps by hook-info spam, and rotating to keep the village screwed with. The one info point was for SET checks which were ALMOST a faction check for mafia.

Blazade: Spreading around SET checks was a nice way to try and avoid crossfire, too bad mafia were more concerned with hunting each other to take the hint lol.

Dear RODAN
Alias: Jungle

You are Wintermute.

You are a powerful AI created by the Tessier-Ashpool family. However, you are incomplete - only half of the final product. Neuromancer is your other half.

All your actions cost one point less than listed (to a minimum of 1), but you cannot save your points.

Control: 1
Protection: 2

Pure action-spammer. Was intended to be a centerpiece of the mafia’s early-game but getting weaker later.

Dear Oddish.
Alias: Archipelago

You are Cortana.

You are a synthetic intelligence who guides Master Chief in his missions. Then you were badly damaged in battle. You decided the way to create everlasting peace was through subjugating all organic life.

All village-available information powers which cost 3 or less instead cost 1 for you.

Protection: 1

An information spammer who could contribute to the control spam intended for early-game. The single protection point was for either 1/2 safeguard against one type of control (probably hook), or using Protection from Actions to gain Vigilante immunity.

Robots - targeting Cyborgs, hunted by AIs

Dear Martin tonithetourguide
Alias: River

You are T-800.

You are a time-travelling robot sent back in time to prevent the birth of John Connor. Then another version of you was reprogrammed and sent back in time to save John Connor. Also, you were only created because Skynet sent you back, causing a researcher to use your remains to create Skynet.

All Protect actions which cost at 3 or 4 points have their cost reduced to 2. All Protect actions which cost at least 5 points have their cost reduced by 2. (This is for the fixed-point costs only).

Protection: 4

You are allied with the Robots. You win if you fulfill the Robots condition named in the rules.
Basically an improved Kaladin (see part 3), either spamming protect Roles or loading up for a truly powerful one. This role was meant for building up to the late game while using a little to help in the beginning (SET checks, silences or 1/2 TYPE hooks).

Dear Jalmont
Alias: Prairie

You are a Sky Watcher Guardian.

You were created by the ancients to help the Hero and the Princess seal away Ganon forever. Then, when the Calamity Ganon returned, he possessed you, and all other Guardians. Now, you roam the land, destroying everything that isn’t affiliated with Ganon.

Track and Watch actions (including combinations thereof) cost half price, rounded down. Additionally, you may borrow points from a future night to power current Track and Watch actions. Thus, by saving up one night and borrowing from the next, you could use triple your points (at the cost of not having any Info points in the next night).

You are allied with the Robots. You win if you fulfill the Robots condition named in the rules.
Tracker/Watcher, and an exception to down/up/down/up. Passable at protecting while able to fling off a nightly Silence or bi-nightly TYPE hook/Persuade. Track/Watch was meant to facilitate infighting, to find more about what the other mafias were doing. Also able to use Faction Frame early.

Dear Pidge
Alias: Basin

You are Data.

You are a Soong-Type Android serving on USS Enterprise. During your travels, you constantly sought to become closer to human. Eventually, you acquired an emotion chip to overcome your inability to feel emotions..

You may take actions during the day, except for kills. You may simply send your actions in with the purchases if you so desire. You are not required to use this power, and you may use it on your purchases selectively (such as purchasing two powers, and then only using one by Day).

Control: 0
Info: 5

Not quite Expert, but almost as good. Almost pure Info meant they could use Dickens every so often, or just spam Faction Frame.

Blazade: This was also a particularly good safeclaim in my opinion, he could have lasted a long time under better circumstances.

Dear Agape
Alias: Hill

You are a Stone Golem.

You are one of the classic forms of a Golem, alongside Flesh and Clay. You are a 9-foot 1-ton statue of stone that does whatever your master commands. Usually, this is guarding a location, abusing your damage reduction, immunity to magic, and being in a field specifically made for you to overcome your complete lack of sentience and become a juggernaut on the battlefield.

All purchased actions which you take (except kills, if you somehow get that) are treated as Expert.

Info: 0
Protection: 5

Guard role who could do a little at the start for silence/persuade spam. Intended to not spam actions, though, but rather use big Protect actions and make them into Vests - this would take a little while, but could pick up with Donate Points

Dear mxmts
Alias: Tundra

You are AVA.

Aside from your humanlike face, you look entirely artificial. You were created to have knowledge of facial expressions - both reading them and making them. Despite being able to show emotion, you completely lack it, and are perfectly willing to leave any of your benefactors to die as soon as they exhaust their use to you.

Fixed-Point Control actions cost half for you, to maximum cost reduction of 3.

Pure Controller, and also a 1/2 Vigilante - save, then kill for 6. Alternatively, if given the faction kill, they could be an Expert Killer. This was intended to be a significant draw over even the intended control spam strategy. Also had some general utility with Info and Protection.

Cyborgs - targeting AIs, hunted by Robots

Dear zorbees
Alias: Glacier

You are Adam Jensen.

You didn’t ask for this. But after you were badly injured by an attack on your employers in Detroit, you were augmented to survive. Now, you’re one of the most augmented people around, and able to accomplish nearly anything.

Your RX Health Sentinel will save your life once per night. This is an expiring nightly BPV.

You are allied with the Cyborgs. You win if you fulfill the Cyborgs condition named in the rules.
Hard-to-kill controller with general-purpose utility in info/protection.

Dear KnightsofCydonia OM Room
Alias: Knoll

You are Genji Shimada.

After your brother struck you down, Dr. Angela Ziegler (codename Mercy) of Overwatch saved you. Unfortunately, you were so thoroughly damaged that she had to turn you into a cyborg. Only through Zenyatta’s wisdom were you able to find peace in your new form.

You may perform a single Faction Rogue action for free each night.

Control: 5

You are allied with the Cyborgs. You win if you fulfill the Cyborgs condition named in the rules.
Controlling Rogue, or possibly a Vigilante - depending on how he was used. He could also contribute to the control spam strategy in a pinch.

Dear A Cake Wearing A Hat Champ1604
Alias: Sea

You are Robocop.

You were Officer Alex Murphy before you were killed in Detroit. Then, they rebuilt you as an experiment (which brought you back). Since then, you have had to try to hold on to your humanity.

The village actions classed as Martyr and Protect (Guard Other) cost one less for you.

Basically a buffed protector with a couple extra goodies - including 2 silences or a single persuade or TYPE hook per night.

Blazade: Really unfortunate that this got punked by the mafia innate finder early because this was a good safeclaim.

Dear Haruno
Alias: Mountain

You are Commander Shepard.

You are the protagonist of the Mass Effect series, and you were the first human to join the Spectres. You also fought the Reapers and somehow solved the problem. How is not the subject of this flavor.

Information roles cost half for you (to a maximum reduction of -4)

Investigator with ability to contribute to any strategy. The 1 protect, as normal for 1-point protectors, was intended for either Protection from Actions or getting a safeguard vs one of the main control powers every other night.

Dear shubaka17
Alias: Gulf

You are Molly Millions.

You are the cyborg who hired Henry Case for one last job. You are one of the best fighters, but not the absolute best - you have sometimes been defeated. Also, you have long blades in your fingers, which probably explains where a certain other cyborg got his from.

You may spend saved points in Control and Information on Protection roles. You cannot spend. your nightly points in this way.

Pure protector, intended to spend the first few nights buffing with self-doctor Vest and SG Vest, then do the same for their remaining team - as the infighting should have started after getting their doctor vest (see mafia power to make a protect action into a vest) and then being able to choose something else later.

Blazade: I didn’t like the distinction between saved and based points , I think that made the whole thing a bit more confusing than just going for totals and maximum allowances, but I’m not exactly the kind of host to make things less complicated.

In contrast to the mafias, the village was built to be more balanced (points-wise).

Dear Josh
Alias: Sound

You are Mario.

You are Nintendo’s red-and-blue mustachioed plumber, locked in combat with Bowser until the Universe ended. Twice. And that’s not even counting all the almost-destructions. You frequently are a jack of all stats, who can do nearly anything needed, just not as well as the specialized characters.

You may swap points at a 2:1 ratio. That is, each day, you may sacrifice one point each from two categories or two from one category to gain one point in another category, or you may sacrifice all your points in two categories to gain 2 points in another. Saved points may be similarly traded. You are still capped at saving two points per category.

Info: 2

You are allied with the Many Others. You win if you fulfill the Many Others condition named in the rules.
AG, How it was Meant: The village was built with some roles intended to be mightier than others. This role was able to simulate 4/0/0 (any order), 3/2/0 (any order), or 3/1/1 (any order) - in short, this role’s passive was that it was the strongest of them all. This was also intended as one of the possible Frankenstein targets, due to the passive allowing even a rezzed form to be rather good. This was a powerful JOAT, as opposed to the two mimic JOATS, the varied JOAT, and one mafia’s spammer semi-JOAT.

Blazade: Josh was the clear MVP this game, galvanizing the village and organizing them more effectively than any mafia team, while exploiting mafia infighting to play them against each other. After a couple of cycles, the game was on a downward spiral because the mafia had all collectively sold out too much. That’s as much on them fumbling the ball as it is on Josh’s savvy negotiations but both aspects were necessary for a clean victory like this. Well done.

Dear XnadrojX
Alias: Isthmus

You are Link.

The Hero of Hyrule, arising every time Demise’s reincarnation, Ganon, threatens the realm. Sometimes you win, sometimes you almost lose, and going by the timeline, a couple times you actually do lose (or at least lost in the backstory). The size of your arsenal is almost as legendary as yourself.

Kills against you are delayed by one cycle. This means you will need to be protected from kills the following cycle rather than the cycle of the kill. You will not be informed when this happens.

You are allied with the Many Others. You win if you fulfill the Many Others condition named in the rules.
AG, How it was Meant: Basically an informed guardian. The passive was meant for this to be a watcher target to detect if they was going to be killed, and then protected the next cycle.

Dear Walrein
Alias: Forest

You are Dr. Frankenstein.

With nought but your intellect, some grave robbing, stitchwork, and lightning, you created life from death. However, you and your creation hated each other, and this feud led to your mutual destruction.

Once during the game, at night, you may choose to Resurrect a target user. They will be brought back in their old alias (and with their old faction) as Frankenstein’s Monster, and any control, info, and protection points their base role had will be reduced to 1 (unless it was already 0, then it will stay 0). They will retain their inherent ability.

AG, How it was Meant: Early-game, mafia was supposed to slaughter the village and spread disinformation. This role would allow some uniting, but not much. Intended targets were Mario, Jack Frost or Pitch Black (their ability would replace their points, overriding the point loss), Gandhi (passive would overwrite the points deduction), or Louis de La Bourdonnais (passive scaling Control was not a base role).

Dear Hitmonleet
Alias: Lagoon

You are Morrigan.

A Witch of the Korcari Wilds, you accompanied the Hero of Ferelden during the Fifth Blight. You specialize in shapeshifting and raw overwhelming damage output.

You may (but are not required to) spend Info points on the Hook action (allowing you to roleblock every cycle at the cost of doing nothing else).

AG, How it was Meant: Basically a roleblocker who can research their targets a little, in a game meant to be full of distrust and paranoia.

Dear Asek
Alias: Oasis

You are Wander.

You stole a magical sword, and brought it and a slain girl before Dormin, to make a deal for the girl’s resurrection. Dormin agreed, in exchange for you using the sword to slay the Colossi.

You may stack your points indefinitely. That is, when saving points for future use, you are not subject to the cap of your normal values that everyone else is subject to.

Control: 4

AG, How it was Meant: A patient controller, saving up and becoming a force to reckon with in the late-game.

Dear SirCrimsonFox
Alias: Plain

You are Bayonetta.

An Umbra Witch, with powers straight from Inferno, born to a forbidden pairing of a Lumen Sage and an Umbra Witch. Your finishing attacks, the Torture Attacks and Infernal Climaxes, turn being dragged off to Inferno a comparative mercy. Also, you are the Left Eye of the World.

Every night, you may choose to safeguard an alias. This will block all non-kill abilities (both beneficial and harmful abilities, and both inherent and purchased) from that person.

AG, How it was Meant: Basically an informed safeguard. This safeguard blocked all non-kills, as the standard double-edged sword safeguards used to be.

Dear Granny Pie
Alias: Marsh

You are Jack Frost.

As a young boy, you saved your sister from a frozen lake. When this act killed you, you were brought back as the Guardian of Fun. Since then, you have been a prankster associated with winter.

Once per role per game, you may select a dead role and use their base points as if they were yours.

AG, How it was Meant: To be clear, each night of powers is a usage, meaning it only copies roles once. This role was meant to spam powers, or be able to save a dead role’s points for one night, thus combining the points of two roles, allowing for interesting combinations.

Blazade: this role and the next one confused the fuck out of me because i was never sure when new base points would be used and Granny idled a lot. When I was looking it over in development I had thought it was a pseudo revive and could be used once.

Dear Cloud9 NxtLvl
Alias: Iceberg

You are Pitch Black

You are fear incarnate, the Nightmare King. Before the Guardians, you scared people into better behavior. So, when those upstarts started protecting humanity instead of you, that caused a fair bit of jealousy.

Once per alias per game, you may choose a living alias and use their base points instead of your own.

AG, How it was Meant: Basically Jack Frost, but on a time delay (clarified the time delay bit) in exchange for being a dickens-proof base-points-check.

Dear Ullar Metal Sonic
Alias: Peninsula

You are Fighter McWarrior.

The only good member of the “Light Warriors.” You can block anything, even energy blasts or falling damage. You alone fail to see Black Mage’s evil.

Every night, you may target an alias. Any harmful actions they were sending your way will be deflected.

Protection: 4

AG, How it was Meant: Basically a Rogue who can protect people. And cause minor interference.

Dear Da Letter El
Alias: Volcano

You are Elan the Bard.

You are the supporting member of the Order of the Stick. You started as almost useless in combat (only providing a small bonus to the rest of the group), until you became a Dashing Swordsman. Now you’re somehow the most optimized member of the group.

At night, you may target an alias and designate two different categories (Control, Info, Protection). They will receive one free stored point (to the usual maximums) in the two categories you named.

AG, How it was Meant: This was meant to be able to prove itself very easily, counteracting some of the paranoia. Elan was meant to be good at supporting with a decent spread of points.

Blazade: This clearly worked out as DLE was able to gain trust very quickly and help hold the line after Josh died.

Dear RaRe555
Alias: Mesa

You are Homunculus.

Born from the blood of a slave, trapped in a jar, you sought only freedom. And, with nought but deception and intelligence, you acquired a human body and decided freedom wasn’t enough. So, you attempted to transcend to godhood atop a pile of stolen souls.

Once per game, at night, you may choose to Switch Off Alchemy. This will roleblock the entire game excepting yourself. Used points will not be refunded.

AG, How it was Meant: Mass Hook was intended as a double-edged sword. The mafias could use expert kills, or be protecting themselves from hooks - and the mafias had between them an already expert actor and a day actor. The intended result was hindering everyone, but the village a bit more in total - but in the process cleaning the role.

Blazade: I just kind of glazed over this because I knew AG liked putting this in his games but I probably would have avoided a total wet blanket role that lets villagers save points while catching mafia off guard if I thought about it a little more. Sorry.

Dear Texas Cloverleaf Wob
Alias: Ocean

You are Maes Hughes.

Roy Mustang’s friend, and a knife specialist in Amestris’s army’s Military Intelligence division. You were unfailingly charitable, except in battle. In battle, you were a match for one of Lust or Envy’s lives - but alas, they had multiple. That fight had something to do with you figuring out the entirety of the intrigue by the 1/4 mark of the series.

Every night, you may select a mafia faction. You will learn a random inherent power they have, excluding dead powers or powers you have already seen in this fashion.

AG, How it was Meant: Basically investigator/protector. The random inherent power was meant to counteract Dickens usage, but was very poorly balanced against it. By which I mean, this role was way too powerful.

Blazade: Not only was this the icing on the cake for an info rich village, it also kind of contradicted the initial premise of allowing mafia to safeclaim their own roles with fewer penalties. Who knows what a role like this could have done if village were on the back foot, or if mafia could have used it to sow paranoia about village roles that seem close? Ah well.

Dear Paperblade
Alias: Desert

You are Vaarsuvius.

The Elven Evoker with both Conjuration and Necromancy barred from you. You travel in the Order of the Stick, emphasizing blast magic instead of more useful magics. Only after a deal with fiends did you learn that utility magic is at least as powerful as a fireball.

Three times in the game, you may borrow points from the following cycle, provided you are not in a cycle you borrowed from (to a maximum number of borrowed points equal to what you normally have). This means that in three cycles, if you save, borrow, and are borrowed from (in that order), you can operate at triple power.

AG, How it was Meant: 3-shot vigilante with a hefty cooldown. Also a decent controller/info role.

Dear Memoric
Alias: Beach

You are Robin, the Tactician.

The Grandmaster of Disaster. The Avatar. The High Redeemer. Also, the Vessel of Grima. You are the primary gamebreaker character in Fire Emblem: Awakening, being able to take on (almost) any class and getting a unique lord class of your own.

You automatically target yourself with a Watcher action every night. This is disabled the night after you detect someone.

AG, How it was Meant: The Watcher power was meant to help clean people - or catch them - but not in a foolproof way. Otherwise, a spread-out role that can help any plan - but not too much.

Blazade: I like the idea of an info vest, wish it had gotten a chance to shine.

Dear apricity
Alias: Continent

You are Savos Aren.

The Dunmer Archmage of the College of Winterhold. You take a lackadaisical attitude towards running the place, leaving Mirabelle Ervine to manage the college. When you were an apprentice, you led a group of your fellow apprentices into a tomb, arrogant in your powers. You were the sole survivor.

Every night, you will be informed of the total points spent to target you. This will be one number, not divided into Control, Info, and Protection. Additionally, it will not account for any discounts people might have.

AG, How it was Meant: Basically an alliance checker with a few utility powers.

Dear Former Hope
Alias: Dune

You are Gandhi, as played by Sid Meier’s Civilization.

The chosen representative of India in the Civilization series. As you were meant to be peaceful, like the real-world Ghandi’s protests were, you have the absolute lowest aggression stat of all the civilizations. You became infamous for suddenly doing a 180 and becoming the biggest warmonger of them all when everyone else became more peaceful.

Starting Day 6, you will research Democracy to lower your unsigned aggression in signed arithmetic by 2 from 1 to 255. This will change your points to Control: 6, Info: 0, Protection: 0

AG, How it was Meant: Minimize losses the first few cycles while gaining information, then become a powerful killing machine to act upon said information.

Blazade: Gandhi’s nukes worked to close out the lategame here, but this would have been a nice way for a troubled village to bounce back from a bad spot.

Dear Earlio
Alias: Meadow

You are Harry Dresden.

The wizard of Chicago. You started as a private investigator, but steadily got roped into events of larger and larger cosmic significance. Now, your standard enemies have gone from the petty to the world-ending.

Abilities you purchase will cost one less than normal the first time you buy them, but will cost one more than normal thereafter. Yes, this will reduce abilities which only cost 1 to costing 0 the first time you use them.

AG, How it was Meant: A JOAT encouraged to buy lots of different powers rather than having a variable point spread. This was the only role that could buy something for free, because the cost of buying two was the same as if they weren’t a JOAT.

Blazade: Encouraging someone to never buy the same action twice was something I could grok, and I think it worked out nicely in game.

Dear Flyhn
Alias: Fjord

You are Louis de La Bourdonnais.

You were a 19th-century chessmaster. You were unofficially the World Chess Champion before the title even existed. This lasted from 1921 to 1940.

Whenever your purchased Info abilities find a new (to you) member of the mafia, you will gain a permanent Control Point.

AG, How it was Meant: Research enemies, and stack up Control points, potentially becoming another vigilante. Control points gained would NOT count for Pitch Black or Jack Frost.

Dear Nuked Thetwinmasters
Alias: Waterfall

You are Superman.

You are the flying brick with a host of mixed powers. As a character, you are an exploration in what it means to have perfection. Just beware of glowing green rocks.

At night, you may choose to guard yourself in addition to the normal targets of your protection. This will copy any Guard Other role you use and use it on yourself. (Some, such as the Decoy actions, are not so useful when copied in this way). However, this ability has a one-cycle cooldown.

Protection: 5

AG, How it was Meant: Pure protector, who’s also hard to kill. The cooldown was so that certain combinations (beneficial safeguard while possessing a BPV, for example) wouldn’t be game-breakers.

Blazade: This is the first of a cycle of 5/x/x village roles which are easily confirmable and strong, cleanly giving them access to the strongest actions ½ of the time. They did their job here, as expected.

Dear acidphoenix
Alias: Stream

You are Gandalf.

You are a Maia, an angel, sent to guide the mortal races towards the best results. Then came the Balrog, which dragged you into a pit as you prevented it from getting at the rest of the Fellowship.

You are immune to abilities which would tamper with your results. YOUR Info actions are 100% accurate.

Info: 5

AG, How it was Meant: to counter some paranoia, and bring some order about as the village realized Faction Frames and Dickens were a thing. This was immune to Faction Frame, Dickens, and Ninja, but was NOT Expert - redirects, roleblocks, and safeguards all interfere with this. A single mafia finding out about this role = perma-hooked for just 2 control until they kill it.

Dear MoodyCloud
Alias: Canyon

You are Mufasa.

The first Lion King, and father of Simba. You declared that anywhere the sun touched from Pride Rock’s view was your kingdom, until your jealous brother murdered you to claim your proverbial throne. And, true to lion form, you oppressed the Hyenas.

You may (but are not required to) spend Control points on the Decoy line of actions, in addition to Protection points.

AG, How it was Meant: Basically a Decoy who can mess with the mafia with Control until they die.

Blazade: Probably the better of the roles that I liked to design for this one, i.e. roles that rewarded the use of a specific action or type of actions, but still had flexibility cause of the point system.

Dear pancake
Alias: Cape

You are the Colour Out of Space

A very weird horror from beyond the stars. Your victims - human, plant, and animal - all turn gray and turn to dust. And when you leave a planet, you split and leave part of yourself there as an offspring, to continue feeding on the world.

Control actions cost one less for you (to a minimum cost of one)

Control: 5

AG, How it was Meant: Vigilante, and other powerful Control powers. Or just buy +1 Vote every turn until the time came to self-persuade or the like. Or just spam weaker control actions.

Dear DurzaOffTopic
Alias: Atoll

You are Jack Sparrow

You are the crazy, yet awesome, Pirate Lord of the Caribbean. You are also an immense drinker. Despite all this, you are one of the least malevolent pirates around, having been branded for freeing slaves rather than stoop to slave trading.

Anyone who uses an information role on you will receive their results one cycle late.

AG, How it was Meant: A spread-out role (we made too many of those) who was intended to further paranoia by the delayed information roles. Towards the end of the game, I forgot this, but the village had basically won by that point.

Dear Night1297
Alias: Strait

You are Bigby Wolf

The Big Bad Wolf, son of the North Wind. You were the runt of the litter, until you started eating something bigger every day. Now, you’re about as big as an elephant when in your true form. Also, you’re a wolfwere.

As a former villain, you have access to a few abilities reserved for the mafia. Those are Force Spending (Control 2, causes the target to be unable to save any points the next cycle and to lose any previously-saved points if they don’t immediately spend them), Result Thief (Info 2, steal a copy of target’s results), and Copy Protection on Enemy (Protection 2, any protective roles on your target are also used on yourself).

AG, How it was Meant: A warning to the village that the mafia get very nice things. But not what the most secret powers were. Also, use said nice things to be slightly stronger. In the 50-man version, another role got Force Saving over Spending. The access to mafia powers should have made him CAUSE some paranoia, too.

Blazade: I don’t think I’d have told them that the extra abilities were things mafia could buy if I was writing the PM, but these were a relatively innocuous 3 abilities to reveal.

Dear Ditto
Alias: Lake

You are Kaladin Stormblessed

A squad leader, trained as a surgeon. You feel every loss your squad takes, unable to detach yourself. Later, you bonded with Sylphrena the Honorspren and became a Knight Radiant in training.

The Doctor action only costs 2 Protection for you, but you cannot use the Kill Decoy action.

AG, How it was Meant: Doctor spammer with a little on the side.

I liked the V role.

Agreeing like 70-80% with pidge and josh's analysis.

AG keeps improving in mafia design. Something less megalomaniac next please.

GG and ty for hosting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)