Official Cross Country/ Distance Running Thread

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright I've had 2 races recently, both 5ks

Saturday I ran at a relatively large meet (ayy its New Hampshire they don't get that big) and it was a relatively hilly course and I ran 20:43, which was a 33 second PR from a flat af course at the end of last year.

Today I had another race at a really flat course and ran 19:32. Yeah I PRd by over a minute which was crazy for me. It's also better than my season end goal of 20 minutes so I'm hoping when we go to the flat course of my PR at the end of my freshman year I can run sub 19:10

Nothing amazing compared to you guys but yay me (starring London Tipton :P)

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
1 minute PR grats man \o/

I'm actually having trouble breaking my PRs. I've been training all summer and I still can't seem to break 18 minutes in a 5k. I hit 18:28 in our first race and every race after that, I've hit high 18s - low 19s. The guys that I trained with, the three of us were pretty much at the same speed, are both down in the mid-high 17s, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips? Extra workouts, different core/upper body workouts, or strategies, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance :)

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
There is a belief that a lot of East Africa's distance running dominance can be attributed to the fact they spend much of their formative childhood years running barefoot, developing strong, elastic tendons in their feet as they go. However, they all start wearing running shoes as soon as they're in a position to do so as they need the protection.

While I advocate running in the barefoot style (with a forefoot strike), I've never went the full way and ran literally barefoot.

Do enough people here use Strava to justify me making a Smogon Strava group?

Hey guys.

I'd have responded sooner but I've been really busy.

For running without shoes, I think it's worth trying with some short sprints on a field. I find it helps build footspeed and improves the stride (in most cases anyways). However, be very cautious if you're injury-prone at all. In my case, I have almost no arches in my feet at all, so I have to be careful.

I haven't tried strava but some guys on my team like it. It seems cool, but I wouldn't know much about it.

Oh yeah, congrats on that huge PR Ununhexium

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well, I just came back from Conference and I'm pretty upset. I was recovering from a cold from this weekend so I felt like trash during the race. I ran a 19:11 (and surprisingly placed 17th lol), which is nowhere near where I should be. The timing couldn't be any worse since this was the last meet for us JVs and the last chance for me to make Varsity. On a good note though, our Varsity and JVs won the meet and JVs are also undefeated in the state lol (not that it matters too much). So at least I was part of Varsity JV til the end haha. :^)
I'm super hyped for track to start and I can't wait to hear everyone else's times :)

Hey guys :)

I'm happy this thread's made it to 1000 views, hopefully there will be many more to follow!

DaAwesomeDude1 It sucks that your season had to end on a low note individually, but I'm happy to hear that your team has been successful. Best of luck in track!

Also, it's interesting that your season is already over; I still have three more races, and potentially a few more after that depending on whether or not my team brings me into the post-season.

I encourage anyone reading this to post their successful (or unsuccessful, w/e) workouts and/or race times in the thread; we're always interested and supportive :)

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Workouts you say?

On the grind last night on a rare road training run (i'm an off-road runner). not shown in the stats is the 600ft of elevation featured on this run...speaking of elevation, here's the elevation profile from my hillwork session earlier this week

I don't do hill reps...I do MOUNTAIN reps.

Workouts you say?

On the grind last night on a rare road training run (i'm an off-road runner). not shown in the stats is the 600ft of elevation featured on this run...speaking of elevation, here's the elevation profile from my hillwork session earlier this week

I don't do hill reps...I do MOUNTAIN reps.
God tier
[edit] just so this isnt just a random post, kinda excited for outdoor track this season looking foward to hopefully breaking 2 mins in the 800 :] my pr is 2:03.90 so im almost there just gotta put in that extra work to shave those 4 seconds. It helps that im also a wrestler because ill be in good physical shape and ill be ready mentally as well

Ununhexium

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I ran at the Brown invitational in east Greenwich RI today and I broke 19 with a new PR of 18:38

I just need to cut off one more minute :P

I really liked the course they had there. It was really flat and in a nice location but it was 2 hours away

Another thing I liked about it is that my school doesn't usually run against teams from a lot of other states, but this meet had teams from NH, NY, CT, RI, and maybe a few I'm missing

My one issue with the course is that some parts the course is kinda sandy so you lose a bit of time and it gets really dusty

I ran at the Orange County Championships meet this morning. I placed 16th overall in the Division 2 JV race with a time of 17:13. My team won JV overall (I was 7th man on squad, we placed 2 3 6 10 12 13 16) and Varsity was 4th for Sweepstakes in Orange County. As a team it was a very successful day.

I got to wake up at 5 AM to race at the Mt SAC invitational. I raced JV and ran 17:23, my team placed 6/22. Considering we raced half of our JV guys (the faster ones :p) in another race and my school got moved up to the D1 races, it was a very successful day. S/o to my teammates Nikki and Dylan for placing the top times in the county :)

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Some people like running. At our school there are like only 7 guys who even show up now lol. There is some event on Tuesday that is pretty small and honestly I'm not taking it that seriously (Just hope I don't come last).

Some people like running. At our school there are like only 7 guys who even show up now lol. There is some event on Tuesday that is pretty small and honestly I'm not taking it that seriously (Just hope I don't come last).
That sucks, man :( You should really get more of your friends to show up, it's great fun and can be part of your exercise too if you choose to think of it that way :D

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
That sucks, man :( You should really get more of your friends to show up, it's great fun and can be part of your exercise too if you choose to think of it that way :D
Well there are other sports going on at the times too so it makes it hard to go. Also most people kinda just shrug running of as boring and tiring.

Ununhexium

I had my last meet of the season on Friday at our JV state meet (really flat course I love it) where I ran a new PR of 18:27 and placed 34th overall. Unfortunately, the race was a lot faster this year than last year, so I would have placed 15th if I ran this time last year.

I'll never get a medal :(

Anyway, my school's varsity team's (probably) last meet is this coming Saturday on a hillier course (though I did PR there one time) and I'm the first alternate for my team in case someone gets injured which is cool i guess :)

Ununhexium

I meant to mention this lay week, but our team had our XC banquet last Tuesday and I was elected the first junior captain since 1998 when it was this really cool guy who ran really fast and went to some ivy to run I think

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
I meant to mention this lay week, but our team had our XC banquet last Tuesday and I was elected the first junior captain since 1998 when it was this really cool guy who ran really fast and went to some ivy to run I think
Wow thats really cool! Do you also run distance on Track? And if so what is your favorite event "Distance wise" 800m, 1600m, or 3200m?

Ununhexium

Wow thats really cool! Do you also run distance on Track? And if so what is your favorite event "Distance wise" 800m, 1600m, or 3200m?
I do both winter (sadly) and spring track. Last season I did the 800 and 1600 usually but this season I'm doing the 3200 because the only people who consistently ran it for us last year graduated :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)