np: SS UU Stage 10.2 - Sickommo-ode (Kommo-o Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalReloaded

is a Top Tiering Contributor
MPL Champion
I haven't posted since BLT which was several months ago at this point but I'm having fun playing UU casually. I've been using that hail team someone posted a while ago which is really really strong. Most of the teams I play against look the same but I am still having fun and think the metagame is in a good place. I would probably play more if I had more time and also knew how to build teams that weren't complete dogshit. RIP to my guy Kommo-o though, easily my favorite pokemon to use back during BLT. I'd really like to get back to competing in tournaments again, so maybe I'll do that.

My thoughts are all over the place when it comes to Thundurus. Maybe I am just bad but I do not think it is overwhelmingly strong, just very strong. Thundurus with ice weather ball is insanely strong though so maybe it does need to go. I don't feel strongly either way about having a suspect test nor banning it, but perhaps a suspect could be worthwhile.

that's all, sorry if this post is kinda shitty I just wanted to contribute something, thanks

Is there any way we could get something like the Dark Horse Project going again? Sorry if this is off-topic, but was wondering since it was a ton of fun back in the day. Thanks!

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
:Zoroark: :SS/Zoroark: :Zoroark:
Perfect Illusion (Zoroark) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb / Grass Knot / Extrasensory

What does it do?
Sporting 120 base Special Attack as well as 105 base Speed, Zoroark has, in my opinion, established itself a small niche in SS UnderUsed. Zoroark's unique ability in Illusion allows it to catch its teammates' checks and counters off guard and potentially free up an opening for them to sweep the opposing team. Dark Pulse is used as a primary STAB move that allows Zoroark to hit a large number of Pokémon in the tier such as Slowking and Jirachi. Flamethrower is an excellent move, as 50% of the top 10 Pokémon (with the exception of Kommo-o due to its ban) used by top players (using the 1760 usage stats for this past month) have a weakness to Fire. Focus Blast is run to allow Zoroark to hit foes such as Excadrill, Hydreigon, and Mamoswine for super effective damage. Finally, Sludge Bomb allows Zoroark to hit foes such as Primarina, Hatterene, and Tapu Bulu super effectively. However, it should noted that of the three Fairy-types mentioned, Primarina's astounding Special bulk prevents Zoroark from winning against Primarina 1-on-1. Grass Knot can also be run in the final slot as a means of OHKOing Swampert, Rhyperior, and Quagsire. Extrasensory is also an option to prevent foes such as Conkeldurr and Keldeo from switching in on Zoroark. Zoroark is able to defeat 70% of the top to most used Pokémon in the tier (excluding Kommo-o), as evidenced by calcs here.

What are its drawbacks?
Zoroark is extremely frail, and thus fails to be a defensive Knock Off absorber like other Dark-types in the tier, namely Zarude and Hydreigon. In addition, in order to make full use of Illusion Zoroark must refrain from taking any passive damage, which is quite difficult to do with Stealth Rocks being omnipresent. Furthermore, running Zoroark often means that you aren't running Hydreigon, which notably has a higher Special Attack as well as a more diverse movepool.

Why not use Hydreigon?
Unlike Hydregion, Zoroark has the ability Illusion which, as previously mentioned, can be used to deceive opponents into thinking Zoroark is a defensive pokemon so when opponents switch in Pokémon like Tapu Bulu on "Swampert", Zoroark can use Sludge Bomb and OHKO the unsuspecting Tapu Bulu. In addition, Zoroark can actually beat other Hydreigon, so instead of risking a speed tie that is 50% in your favour, you can risk a Focus Blast miss which is 70% in your favour.

Last edited:
:Zoroark: :SS/Zoroark: :Zoroark:
Perfect Illusion (Zoroark) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb / Grass Knot / Extrasensory

What does it do?
Sporting 120 base Special Attack as well as 105 base Speed, Zoroark has, in my opinion, established itself a small niche in SS UnderUsed. Zoroark's unique ability in Illusion allows it to catch its teammates' checks and counters off guard and potentially free up an opening for them to sweep the opposing team. Dark Pulse is used as a primary STAB move that allows Zoroark to hit a large number of Pokémon in the tier such as Slowking and Jirachi. Flamethrower is an excellent move, as 50% of the top 10 Pokémon (with the exception of Kommo-o due to its ban) used by top players (using the 1760 usage stats for this past month) have a weakness to Fire. Focus Blast is run to allow Zoroark to hit foes such as Excadrill, Hydreigon, and Mamoswine for super effective damage. Finally, Sludge Bomb allows Zoroark to hit foes such as Primarina, Hatterene, and Tapu Bulu super effectively. However, it should noted that of the three Fairy-types mentioned, Primarina's astounding Special bulk prevents Zoroark from winning against Primarina 1-on-1. Grass Knot can also be run in the final slot as a means of OHKOing Swampert, Rhyperior, and Quagsire. Extrasensory is also an option to prevent foes such as Conkeldurr and Keldeo from switching in on Zoroark. Zoroark is able to defeat 70% of the top to most used Pokémon in the tier (excluding Kommo-o), as evidenced by calcs here.

I am not going to comment on the two other points as I think they are self-explanatory and not that crucial in the grand scheme of things but I want to point out a few things about this. First and foremost Zoroark has seen absolutely zero usage in both the Smogon Champions League and the UU Snake Draft and was consistently below the top 100 of used pokemon on the UU ladder last month so the claim that Zoroark has "established itself a small niche" in the UU metagame doesn't seem backed by any sort of tangible evidence. If one truly wants to be kind towards Zoroark you could say that being the only pokemon with the Illusion ability (with Zorua) it indeed does create a unique niche for itself by virtue of its signature ability but so do other pokemon like Mr. Rime and Stunfisk-Galar and I have yet to see their niche being explained. Being truly pragmatic what you wrote isn't what Zoroark does but what it can potentially do. However, Zoroark never truly does all of that because it is a fundamentally inconsistent option since it relies heavily on the element of surprise and all the preparation one needs to do to make it work can go to waste because of moves like protect, passive damage and just plain good plays. The rewards it can give simply aren't consistently good enough to make up for its core issues of frailty, prediction reliance (especially when using a choice item) and inability to leave much of a mark on any given game as a result. UU dark types are a competitive field and unfortunately Zoroark's damage output and utility leave much to be desired compared to what Hydreigon, Zarude or Moltres-Galar can provide for their team leaving them the better choice every time. Is it usable? if you really wanted to you could make it work, yes. Is it viable compared to the competition? it has yet to show it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)