Monotype Need Help With Flying Monotype Team!

Hello!

I'm trying to make a monotype flying team and I'd really appreciate some help. The only restrictions are no legendaries (including ultra beats and mythicals and anything like that) and I need to have Toucannon on my team. Here is my current team, but it would mean a lot if someone could help me come up with one a bit better or improve what I already have :)

I just want to make sure I have a strong team with Toucannon, at least 1 physical and a special attacker. Plus a way to deal with ice, electric, and rock types.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes (might replace with stealth rock tbh)
- Toxic
- Roost
- Whirlwind

I like Skarmory because it has good defense and steel type is nice too because it is immune to poison. I want to have an entry hazard in the form of spikes (though maybe I should change it to stealth rock instead?) Whirlwind is fun too so I can stop people from setting up. I don't know if this is the best build though.

Toucannon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Brick Break

I need Toucannon on my team so I tried to make it work. Choice scarf to increase its eh speed. Toucannon has a high attack stat, so I'm hoping it can at least do a bit of damage before it faints and it has good coverage so I'm happy about that. I don't know if this is the best build, but I mean at least I can hope people will let their guard down when they see it? haha

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Spe / 12 SpA
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Nasty Plot

I definitely don't love the way I set up this Togekiss. Maybe life orb and go for full coverage special attacking moves? it isn't fast enough to usually get the flinch on air slash and I don't feel comfortable giving it choice specs because I need its coverage since it's a mono flying team and I don't want to be locked into a flying type move.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-Turn
- Roost

Strong boi. Keen eye is good and so is fire coverage. I like this pokemon a lot and it's my strongest on this team by far, but it might make more sense to switch it out to mega salamence because it's stronger, and it's also dragon type, but I honestly don't know. a fire move is nice, but it tends to not ohko so I don't really know if I should keep it or not.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 132 Spe / 64 SpD / 64 Def
Jolly Nature
- Fling
- Acrobatics
- Facade
- Earthquake

Gliscor is great because I love the electric immunity. If I think someone is going to use an electric move I can get a free switch plus its pretty good defensively. Earthquake is strong (and my favourite move) and once I fling, acrobatics is very nice. I like this pokemon and its build, but will gladly accept any suggestions.

Minior @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Spe / 12 Def
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

I love this pokemon. It's so cute. Plus it can take a hit in order to get off shell smash and then destroy everything. The amount of times this pokemon has literally wiped the entire enemy team is more than I can count. I really like it. It's not foolproof though and I usually bring it out last so I can hope to get its counters out of the way, but for what it's worth, Minior is a good little dude. Though, as always, I'd be okay removing it from my team if there is a better alternative.

I like Mega Salamence since there will be no legendaries to counter it, but I don't know. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix my team or on a whole new team I would really appreciate it. I'd appreciate any and all help!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lu

Lu

Said the Moon to the Thief
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
First of all there are some errors in the formatting of your RMT like "252 Attack" instead of 252 Atk in Toucannon's set, "Toxic Heal" instead of Poison Heal on Gliscor's set.
-

The restriction of No Legendaries/UB's takes away two of the best flying pokemons, being these Landorus-Therian, Celesteela and maybe Thundurus-Therian if you use it, which makes things kinda hard.

•Stealth Rocks > Spikes on Skarmory
Rocks are better than Spikes as they can damage every pokemon on switch-in, where Spikes only damage grounded mons, allowing you to break things like Multiscale, sashed flying/levitate pokemons and chipping pretty much any other thing. It also helps you in the Ice matchup for obvious reasons such as its weakness to it or the lack of an outstanding spinner to keep them away.

•Beak Blast > Brave Bird on Toucannon
May be an option since it has a good secondary effect on burning opposing pokemons that make contact during this attack's charge phase. It also trades not having to deal with annoying recoil for 20 BP points.

•Aura Sphere > Flamethrower on Togekiss
Aura Sphere also hits most of the Steel types you're trying to cover while also hitting Dark, Ice and Rock and Normal types, which in comparison to Flamethrower hitting Bug, Grass (both covered by Air Slash), Ice and Steel (both covered by Aura Sphere too) is a better coverage.
You can also run Thunder Wave to turn it into a paraflinch mon, but that'd mean losing either recovery or the special attack boost.

•Gliscor: Protect > Fling, Roost > Acrobatics and Defog/Toxic > Facade
I'd suggest a more defensive set on Gliscor since your team is pretty frail and you have no defog to keep hazards away from your field, which on most flying teams is a need as it heavily limits your switching capability.
I'd give you a more prepared set for this but I don't have one and I don't have time to try and make one right now, sorry.

•Minior: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe > 244 HP / 252 Spe / 12 Def |
A more offensive EV Spread on Minior allows you to threaten more your opponent's team offensively.
While in Meteor form, Minior is immune to statuses like paralysis, burn and poisning and it's also able to live most non-boosted neutral attacks and use Shell Smash in the same turn, which makes it a decent setup sweeper.
Running Power Gem over Rock Slide is a decent option as you can take advantage of the SpAtk and STAB boost, while also dealing with common physical walls like Zapdos or Rotom-Wash better, given they're running a physically invested spread and not a specially invested spread. Plus the mixed coverage might catch people off guard or might be harder to stop.

Another option would be to run Choice Banded Dragonite over Minior if you're running a fully physical set as it doesn't have to set up and it can hit harder than Minior after a Shell Smash (604 Atk + 120 BP STAB compared to 598 Atk + 110 BP STAB), while also giving a decent electric neutrality.
You could also drop Togekiss in order to use Mantine as your team lacks a good special wall to stop Greninja from pressing Ice Beam recklessly if they're not pseudo bolt-beam (HpElec + Ice Beam)

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Toucannon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Beak Blast
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Brick Break

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost
- Nasty Plot

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic

Minior @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Power Gem
- Earthquake

---

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hey Crobi, welcome to Smogon and I'm glad you decided to tryout Monotype. However, this team has far to many holes to patch up with a rate, I will link you a few good resources to help you better understand the metagame!

Monotype Sample Teams: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-sample-teams.3599682/ These are solid teams to help you gain footing in the tier, use these before diving into building teams.
Monotype Viability Rankings: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-usm-viability-rankings.3622349/ Shows the viable Pokemon on each type within the tier.
Monotype Teambuilding Workshop: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-teambuilding-workshop-v2.3630267/ You can request for decent Monotype builders to build a team for you revolving around a single Pokemon or core. Make sure to read the rules before posting.
Smogon Pokedex: https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/ search for viable pokemon in monotype, more often than not it will have a set available for you to use.
Monotype PS! room: https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype live chat and help here to help you succeed in Monotype
Discord: https://discord.gg/xfqG3tR basically same as ps chat room but not on ps!

Good luck with Monotype and feel free to pm me with any further questions on here, PS!, or discord (maroon#1999).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)