SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

All right so we all know by now that Mew was basically added at the last minute, secretly, as a joke by a couple of devs. Obviously Nintendo was okay with this or else they wouldn't have had a distribution for it, put it in a movie, had cards for it, had it in future games... etc.

Here's my question: Mewtwo was always meant to be there, though, and Mewtwo's backstory, in addition to literally requiring Mew, directly mentions the existence of Mew in the Cinnabar Island diaries. So, like, there was a Pokémon called Mew in existence, and even if it wasn't in the game, it still existed at least in theory and players would be able to come across that and gain knowledge of a Pokémon they could never obtain.

Prior to the devs adding Mew as a joke -- were there ever plans to make Mew a real Pokémon? If not, were they just going to leave it out forever despite mentioning it, and having it be a crucial part of Mewtwo's backstory, leaving players forever wondering what the hell a Mew really was?

All right so we all know by now that Mew was basically added at the last minute, secretly, as a joke by a couple of devs. Obviously Nintendo was okay with this or else they wouldn't have had a distribution for it, put it in a movie, had cards for it, had it in future games... etc.

Here's my question: Mewtwo was always meant to be there, though, and Mewtwo's backstory, in addition to literally requiring Mew, directly mentions the existence of Mew in the Cinnabar Island diaries. So, like, there was a Pokémon called Mew in existence, and even if it wasn't in the game, it still existed at least in theory and players would be able to come across that and gain knowledge of a Pokémon they could never obtain.

Prior to the devs adding Mew as a joke -- were there ever plans to make Mew a real Pokémon? If not, were they just going to leave it out forever despite mentioning it, and having it be a crucial part of Mewtwo's backstory, leaving players forever wondering what the hell a Mew really was?
A couple of devs? From what I heard, it was just Morimoto himself who slipped Mew in.

I don't know if there were ever actual plans to make Mew an actual obtainable Pokemon, but if the games became popular enough without it being there, and demand was there, then it probably would have been put in with Gold and Silver. It's not like they could have implemented it into the gen 1 games after they've already sold them.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Actually Nintendo wasn't okay with it, Nintendo had a strict policy that developers cannot touch the code of a game once the "final" build of the game had been approved for sell. Now this was for obvious reasons, this was back in the day of cartridges and if you changed/added/removed something that messed with the code there's no way to undo it. Here's an Iwata Ask where Morimoto, Iwata, and Tsunekazu Ishihara (CEO of the Pokemon Company) talked about the inclusion of Mew:

Iwata: So at the outset, no one could have predicted that Pokémon would end up enjoying such worldwide popularity.
Ishihara: It really was a quiet start.
Iwata: But in spite of that sluggish start, things ended up turning around significantly. What do you attribute that to?
Ishihara: I think one reason is the power of word of mouth. In 1996, people weren't writing their own Internet blogs, but word steadily spread about how much fun Pokémon was. In addition, I strongly felt that the power of the media, centred around CoroCoro Comic, served to accelerate the growth in Pokemon's popularity. Finally, there was also the small matter of Mew, the Pokémon that Morimoto-san contrived as a kind of prank...
Morimoto: Well, I'm not sure if "contrived" is exactly the right word... (laughs wryly)
Ishihara: There's no denying that Mew's existence played an extremely significant role...
Morimoto: We put Mew in right at the very end. The cartridge was really full and there wasn't room for much more on there. Then the debug features which weren't going to be included in the final version of the game were removed, creating a miniscule 300 bytes of free space. So we thought that we could slot Mew in there. What we did would be unthinkable nowadays!
Ishihara: This is in spite of being told after debug ended that you weren't to tamper with even a single bit! (laughs wryly)
Iwata: What's the point of going through all the trouble of the debug process if you're going to go and fiddle with the game afterwards...? I'd venture that this all came from Morimoto-san's mischievous nature.
Morimoto: Well, it was a prank that everyone right up to Tajiri-san was in on. But even though Mew was in there...
Iwata: ... It wasn't actually supposed to appear in the game, right?
Morimoto: Right. Unless we could think about any good opportunity to do so, the existence of Mew wouldn't have been revealed to the public. It was left in there in case it was suitable for some post-launch activity. But if there wasn't anyone among ourselves who wanted to use it, I thought it would be fine to just leave it as it was.
Iwata: Mew could very well have ended up never appearing in the game.
Morimoto: Right. But then due to an unforeseen bug, Mew ended up appearing in some players' games. It looked like we planned all of this, but that wasn't the case. So although it caused all sorts of problems to many concerned, fortunately enough it ended up having a positive effect.
So, yeah, Nintendo wasn't okay with it but thankfully it didn't mess with the game (*insert joke about Gen I being a buggy mess anyway*) so they let it slide, especially since its accidental discovery resulted in an increase in game sales and popularity.

But back to the mystery, if Mew wasn't intended to appear, why have Mewtwo who's backstory revolved around Mew? Well, maybe that was the point? A major theme of Gen I Pokemon was how technology effected Pokemon (Poke Balls, Pokemon Center healing machine, the PC, Fossil revival, etc.) and the creation of Mewtwo from Mew is just another part of that, presented as a dark aspect of Pokemon technology. Originally Mew, an incredibly rare Pokemon that it's thought to just be a myth, gave birth to another Mew which was then experimented upon and turned into Mewtwo. Later versions changed it so Mewtwo was a clone of Mew. Still, the idea is that the Mewtwo species replaced the incredibly rare if not extinct Mew species, maybe as a sort of commentary how scientists are trying to bring back extinct/preserve endangered species by modifying their genetics with other animals, essentially replacing it with a new and better adaptable subspecies.

And though at first this sounds odd, the thing is they're still doing it. We have yet to see the original dragon that Kyurem, Zekrom, and Reshiram were once was. The Genesect we know is a heavily modified version of its original self. Mega Aerodactyl is said to be the true form or Aerodactly, which brings up the question if this is true for any other Fossil Pokemon. And I'm sure there's plenty of examples of the Dex entry mentioning either a previous iteration, alternate form, or a mutation of a Pokemon we have yet to see in the games.

Or perhaps they were going to see if they were actually going to add Mew in a later game.

The concept of Mythical Pokemon already existed in Gen I, so perhaps Mew was to be a real myth, and something that could not be obtained by any means.

Last edited:
When I say "okay with it" I mean they didn't disavow the existence of Mew afterward. They had distributions for it while RBY were still relevant. That must have meant they came to terms with it pretty quickly (comparatively) lol

When I say "okay with it" I mean they didn't disavow the existence of Mew afterward. They had distributions for it while RBY were still relevant. That must have meant they came to terms with it pretty quickly (comparatively) lol
Well, I imagine it was a bit too late to do that when word of mouth got around of being able to obtain Mew well after the games were already released, which ultimately helped boost sales of the games. What, were they going to just deny the existence of this mythical Pokemon, when they could instead make the most of it and run distributions? The Mew was probably already out of the bag at this point.

The Mew Glitch wasn't discovered until 2003, so I dunno where people would have been finding it before that (cheat devices aside).

The Mew Glitch wasn't discovered until 2003, so I dunno where people would have been finding it before that (cheat devices aside).
The Mew Glitch was one of the first reliable ways to encounter Mew. And besides, there are some glitches that are exclusive to Red and Green that could end up giving you a Mew.

Or you can also have your name corrupted by Super Glitch and try to do the Old Man glitch. The glitch characters could generate wild Mew, though that's more difficult, and more unlikely to happen in purpose (given the first distribution happened in 1997).

Last edited:
So... if a Pokemon with an active Illusion tries to use a Z-Move, the Illusion is instantly broken before trying to perform the move.

Why?

I've been considering the idea of Necrozma's light showing the Pokemon's true form given what's explained in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, but this mechanic was already present in Sun/Moon, so unless they did that with such a plot point in advance, I cannot think of a reason for this to happen, outside of gameplay reasons (I'm talking about signature Z-Moves on a Pokemon that somehow got Illusion).

For those not up to date on obscure battle mechanics, Siggu is talking about this:

Apologies for minor fowl language, it's the best quality one I could find.

While I know you didn't want to discuss the mechanical reasons I do think it's worth mentioning because it's another indirect nerf to Zoroark and illusion. I don't think it's a coding issue, as Gamefreak seemed to ragnarok-proof the generic z-moves to work for every pokemon model (including megas if you hack the game to consider them regular pokemon). So they did this deliberately for reasons I can't quite understand.

As for the in-universe explanation, I have a few theories:

1. Illusion copies a mon's name (and nickname). If using a Z-move involves calling out to Zoroark in some fashion, then saying Zoroark's true name would spoil the secret, making keeping up the illusion pointless.

Counter-point: while a dance is involved, we have no evidence that Z-moves require saying the pokemon's true name. Although that could just be because our protagonist is of the silent variety, and we're to imagine them talking.

2. Illusions break whenever Zoroark takes direct damage. Given that Z-moves are apparently exhausting enough to only use once per battle (barring Rotom re-energizing you), maybe this constitutes direct damage?

The counter-point being that illusion doesn't break for indirect damage (sandstorm, hail, spikes, etc).

Bias point being that if Mega Evolution is supposed to be fueled by scary sketchy mechanics, then I want Z-moves to be the same!
#megaevolution is still better than Z-moves

3. If Zoroark makes illusions by bending light, then Z-moves might correct these distortions as it absorbs light into the pokemon for their special move.

4. Ultra Necrozma is super pissed about Zoroark being a hard counter to him in-game, thus cursed the whole family line to break illusion when using a Z-move. The curse is so powerful it transcends into alternate timelines.

Seriously, Foul Play and illusion is the easiest way to beat him, it's really cheap.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
3. If Zoroark makes illusions by bending light, then Z-moves might correct these distortions as it absorbs light into the pokemon for their special move.
Think that's the best answer or just general it needs to focus to maintain the illusion but when it uses a Z-Move it goes all out so the illusion breaks.

For those not up to date on obscure battle mechanics, Siggu is talking about this:

Apologies for minor fowl language, it's the best quality one I could find.

While I know you didn't want to discuss the mechanical reasons I do think it's worth mentioning because it's another indirect nerf to Zoroark and illusion. I don't think it's a coding issue, as Gamefreak seemed to ragnarok-proof the generic z-moves to work for every pokemon model (including megas if you hack the game to consider them regular pokemon). So they did this deliberately for reasons I can't quite understand.

As for the in-universe explanation, I have a few theories:

1. Illusion copies a mon's name (and nickname). If using a Z-move involves calling out to Zoroark in some fashion, then saying Zoroark's true name would spoil the secret, making keeping up the illusion pointless.

Counter-point: while a dance is involved, we have no evidence that Z-moves require saying the pokemon's true name. Although that could just be because our protagonist is of the silent variety, and we're to imagine them talking.

2. Illusions break whenever Zoroark takes direct damage. Given that Z-moves are apparently exhausting enough to only use once per battle (barring Rotom re-energizing you), maybe this constitutes direct damage?

The counter-point being that illusion doesn't break for indirect damage (sandstorm, hail, spikes, etc).

Bias point being that if Mega Evolution is supposed to be fueled by scary sketchy mechanics, then I want Z-moves to be the same!
#megaevolution is still better than Z-moves

4. Ultra Necrozma is super pissed about Zoroark being a hard counter to him in-game, thus cursed the whole family line to break illusion when using a Z-move. The curse is so powerful it transcends into alternate timelines.

Seriously, Foul Play and illusion is the easiest way to beat him, it's really cheap.
Probably its just a gameplay thing.
This is what I think is happening (note that this is just a guess):

• There is a variable in the code that says what model to use
  • They use that variable to say what model the pokémon uses in-game, and if they can use a Z-move and other things
  • Zoroark's Illusion changes that variable and his nickname, so he looks like the other pokémon
  • Nintendo decided to make Zoroark's Illusion break (and, consequencialy, place back the variable on its normal state for Zoroark)
  • They decided to do that because that otherwise Zoroark would be able to use exclusive Z-moves (because its based on such variable!).
Remember this is just a guess, im not a hacker or a programmer, if anyone is better at this, does this look plausible?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Probably its just a gameplay thing.
This is what I think is happening (note that this is just a guess):

• There is a variable in the code that says what model to use
  • They use that variable to say what model the pokémon uses in-game, and if they can use a Z-move and other things
  • Zoroark's Illusion changes that variable and his nickname, so he looks like the other pokémon
  • Nintendo decided to make Zoroark's Illusion break (and, consequencialy, place back the variable on its normal state for Zoroark)
  • They decided to do that because that otherwise Zoroark would be able to use exclusive Z-moves (because its based on such variable!).
Remember this is just a guess, im not a hacker or a programmer, if anyone is better at this, does this look plausible?
I don't think they'd base it on the model, the only reason Zoroark would need to break it's Illusion for a Z-Move is if Zoroark had its own Z-Move which had a special animation that only the Zoroark model could do. But right now, the only Z-Moves that Zoroark has access to are the elemental Z-Moves which work with every Pokemon.

While Illusion changes Zoroark's model and nickname, all it's other information is the same so even if you gave it a Z-Crystal and have the move it needs for activation the prompt still wouldn't appear.

The only reasons I would think the model would be an issue is DURING/AFTER the Z-Move.

DURING: This all depends on the Z-Move animation instant. Instead of using the model of the Pokemon it was copying via Illusion the game pulled Zoroark's normal model as the animation doesn't factor in Abilities (Zoroark is the only Pokemon that appearance change is purely cosmetic so probably doesn't change any variable until just before being sent out to battle).

AFTER: This all depends what the game does with the standard battlefield instant which the game changes away from to do the Z-Move animation instant. If the game has to reload the instant then there could have been an issue with the game placing Zoroark's model onto the field instead of the Pokemon it was copying via Illusion.

They couldn't find a way to remedy the problem so instead had Zoroark's Illusion break before using the Z-Move.

Last edited:
Here's a mystery: Ultra Space is supposed to be other worlds/universes, right? So Ultra Space itself is kinda like subspace. Why is interuniversal travel being measured in lightyears (a measure of distance within a universe where the laws of physics are constant) and not some interuniversal type of measurement (since the aether between universes likely don't possess physical laws like we are used to and thus the speed of light could be different than in our world)?

And as a related note: Because the Ultra Wormholes are just different universes (given UBs are regularly referred to as Pokemon from different universes), why don't the Pokemon there have a chance at Hidden Abilities or (warning: wishlist maybe) a Delta Species deal where it is a different type due to different Darwin evolutionary laws?

Here's a mystery: Ultra Space is supposed to be other worlds/universes, right? So Ultra Space itself is kinda like subspace. Why is interuniversal travel being measured in lightyears (a measure of distance within a universe where the laws of physics are constant) and not some interuniversal type of measurement (since the aether between universes likely don't possess physical laws like we are used to and thus the speed of light could be different than in our world)?
I've always assumed that the distance it says is the one for the wormhole, not the world you end up in.

I've always assumed that the distance it says is the one for the wormhole, not the world you end up in.
But again, that poses the question: how do we know light goes at the same speed for lightyears to be a valid measurement within Ultra Space, given it clearly is not Outer Space (see Delta Episode). I mean, I know that is what they intended (distance to the wormhole rather than the universe we end up in) but Ultra Space is still an aether (with a breathable atmosphere at that) between the universes.

But again, that poses the question: how do we know light goes at the same speed for lightyears to be a valid measurement within Ultra Space, given it clearly is not Outer Space (see Delta Episode). I mean, I know that is what they intended (distance to the wormhole rather than the universe we end up in) but Ultra Space is still an aether (with a breathable atmosphere at that) between the universes.
Who knows, perhaps the Ultra Suit has some device that tells you the distance you covered.

And as a related note: Because the Ultra Wormholes are just different universes (given UBs are regularly referred to as Pokemon from different universes), why don't the Pokemon there have a chance at Hidden Abilities or (warning: wishlist maybe) a Delta Species deal where it is a different type due to different Darwin evolutionary laws?
While I can't answer the first question, the second question has an answer

I remember somewhere, its explicitly stated that the ability Beast Boost is just the Beast reacting to the the atmosphere or something like that. If that's the case, then the reason the UBs can't have hidden abilities that we can see is obvious. Of course, that begs the questions why don't our pokemon have beast boost in Ultra Space, for which I don't actually have answer.

Actually scratch that, I have an answer to the first question
1519870853100.png

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I suppose that might be the case.

To which I'll reiterate this then: These are other universes, so why the inability to get Hidden Abilities?
Hidden Abilities are done as extremely rare abilities - you have to either lure them out in a group (hordes and SOS battles) or go hunting for them in their own territory (Hidden Grottos and search via DexNav). Odds are that you’re simply not arriving in a place where the Hidden Ability Pokémon hide, and there’s no group for them to hang out with.

Also because these are pretty much mostly similar parallel universes, much like the other world you get cosmog in, there’s no reason that just because they’re another world they should have their hidden abilities.

While I can't answer the first question, the second question has an answer

I remember somewhere, its explicitly stated that the ability Beast Boost is just the Beast reacting to the the atmosphere or something like that. If that's the case, then the reason the UBs can't have hidden abilities that we can see is obvious. Of course, that begs the questions why don't our pokemon have beast boost in Ultra Space, for which I don't actually have answer.

Actually scratch that, I have an answer to the first question
View attachment 103752
Well, I was more referring to the normal Pokemon like Magcargo, Swellow, etc that we find in the Wilds, rather than the Ultra Beasts themselves.

Hidden Abilities are done as extremely rare abilities - you have to either lure them out in a group (hordes and SOS battles) or go hunting for them in their own territory (Hidden Grottos and search via DexNav). Odds are that you’re simply not arriving in a place where the Hidden Ability Pokémon hide, and there’s no group for them to hang out with.

Also because these are pretty much mostly similar parallel universes, much like the other world you get cosmog in, there’s no reason that just because they’re another world they should have their hidden abilities.
But parallel universes have variables changed, and thus the Hidden Abilities could be the normal ability in said universe, even if it is the Hidden in our world. Not saying it should be the HA all the time, just have that chance.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Welcome class, to Professor Pikachu315111's Metaphysics 101. Today's lesson: Additional spacial dimensions and how to measure them.

Maybe we're cutting through a fourth (or maybe even further) spacial dimension? A spacial dimensional we're unable to comprehend or interact with fully, but Ultra Space is sort of like a gravity well which bends all the spacial dimensions together. This sometimes results in tears, the Ultra Wormholes, allowing for something from one dimension to travel through Ultra Space and potentially then through another dimension tear. The measurements is done in "lightyears" because its still measurable by our normal means of measuring length, but due to the massive bending of the spacial dimensions it doesn't feel like we've traveled that far and we also might be measuring along the fourth or further spacial dimension which explains why it's even being used despite use being in another dimension.

For the non-Ultra Beast Pokemon, it could just be the dimension we're encountering them in is a dimension parallel to our own thus not resulting in any drastic changes to them like different Abilities or typings (though that would have been neat, at the very least have them have their Hidden Abilities though I guess we get Shiny Pokemon). Yes, we've traveled hundreds of lightyears, but it's along an alien dimension to us. Could be traveling along the fourth/additional dimension of any given spot actually retains that spot's environmental traits, the difference being is the amount of something that can occupy that space is now almost infinite from a three dimensional point of view (which would go along with Merritt's theory, the spot in Ultra Space we're in probably correlates with just a normal wild spot in our dimension thus no Hidden Ability BUT a greater chance of finding a Shiny).

As for the Ultra Beasts, it is confusing why they still have Beast Boost even in their home dimension. The only thing I can maybe guess is that the Ultra Energy we're swamped in is having an adverse affect on the Pokemon classified as Ultra Beasts being in close proximity to us.

"What? But we're in THEIR home dimension. Shouldn't it be our Pokemon with Beast Boost instead?"

It could just be the dimension the normal Pokemon World has an energy which is able to resist the altering effects of the energy from Ultra Space (be it a type of radiation, a stronger frequency, or whatever). The dimensions the Ultra Beast are from not so much, they're susceptible to Ultra Energy. It could also maybe have to do with why seemingly the only creatures in the Ultra Beasts world are the Ultra Beasts. The Pokemon world is filled with many different species, all adding their energy to the dimension and maybe making it resilient to change from outer-dimension influences. Meanwhile the Ultra Beasts worlds mostly have only their Ultra Beast meaning it's only their energy floating around thus creating an energy which in a way has stagnated thus outer dimensional influence can rapidly change it. The Ultra Beasts all probably have normal Abilities, especially if their types and moves match-up with the normal Pokemon World's, and would be neat if there's a way in the future to acclimate the Ultra Beasts to the Pokemon World and give them back their normal Abilities.

NEW CONSPIRACY: I think normal Raichu was either going to get a Z-Move or share one with Alolan Raichu.

Proof? Aloraichium Z's symbol:

The symbol is either Raichu's ear or Raichu's tail. Now let's take a look at normal Raichu and Alolan Raichu:

See the problem? Either ear or tail, Aloraichium Z's symbol matches normal Raichu's ear/tail than Alolan Raichu's.

Now they probably made it Alolan Raichu exclusive so they could give it a cooler looking Z-Move, though looks like they didn't change the logo on the Z-Crystals itself to reflect that. Though I will grant it could just also be art flub, the artist not realizing its Alolan Raichu only or maybe was made before Alolan Raichu's art was officially done so just based it off normal Raichu thinking there wouldn't be that major of a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)