SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Interestingly the Paldea Gym Leaders are ordered differently whenever they come up as potential answers to a question, more specifically Kofu is 3rd instead of Iono and Grusha is 6th, moving up Ryme and Tulip

This is interesting for a few reasons, if their levels were adjusted to fit this order instead of the actual order you are intended to face them in then the disparity in team strength between them is smoothened out a bit with you facing Grusha and Kofu’s underwhelming teams for that point in the game earlier and Iono’s unusually powerful team ace later

It also makes sense if you look at their locations on the map, the common complaint of Tulip’s gym being in the perfect spot for an 8th gym when she is 7th is now void because she is 8th and the akward early to midgame zigzag from east to west is toned down a bit

This makes me think this was the original order they were designed for but marketing influence made them change it(?) as both Grusha and Iono were revealed before release and they wanted to make them more special so they changed up the order or something similar

sorry for the text wall, I just wanted to make a post about this and just kept rambling
I’m glad it wasn’t - Tulip is very underwhelming as a character imo. The last Gym Leader at least should be memorable.

I feel like they’ve generally done a good job of this with Giovanni, Clair, Volkner, Drayden/Iris, Raihan and Grusha.

At least for me ofc.

Wallace eh I don’t really have many clear memories of him, Juan I remember just being oh so Wallace graduated and they just brought back the old guy? Lame…

Honestly don’t really remember Marlon at all, and most Gym Leaders in Gen 6 (Korrina and Clemont aside) were pretty forgettable.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Honestly don’t really remember Marlon at all
Something I've always liked about Marlon is how unlike a final gym leader he feels. He's so incredibly chill, and his gym has the most relaxing vibe of possibly any gym in the series thanks to all the bright flowers and its cheery elevator-music like theme. And he's more concerned with jumping back in the sea and swimming off even in the middle of all the Team Plasma stuff.

He's far from my favourite character, but there's something incredibly refreshing about him.

Interestingly the Paldea Gym Leaders are ordered differently whenever they come up as potential answers to a question, more specifically Kofu is 3rd instead of Iono and Grusha is 6th, moving up Ryme and Tulip

This is interesting for a few reasons, if their levels were adjusted to fit this order instead of the actual order you are intended to face them in then the disparity in team strength between them is smoothened out a bit with you facing Grusha and Kofu’s underwhelming teams for that point in the game earlier and Iono’s unusually powerful team ace later

It also makes sense if you look at their locations on the map, the common complaint of Tulip’s gym being in the perfect spot for an 8th gym when she is 7th is now void because she is 8th and the akward early to midgame zigzag from east to west is toned down a bit

This makes me think this was the original order they were designed for but marketing influence made them change it(?) as both Grusha and Iono were revealed before release and they wanted to make them more special so they changed up the order or something similar

sorry for the text wall, I just wanted to make a post about this and just kept rambling
I don't think it would tone down the zigzagging at all, it just puts it in a different spot

you'd go Katy on the qest, then Brassius to the east, then Iono a little more to the east then back to the west for Kofu & Larry

to

Katy west, Brassius east, back over to the qestfor Kofu, then Iono in the east then back to go deal with Larry

You've stlll got the "two leaders next to each other but you have to take a pit stop on another gym on the other side of the map" situation you just put it earlier (& arguably doubled the situatoin).

I'm also a bit surprised to hear so many people thought Tulip was the perfect spot for the 8th leader. If anything I'd have put her earlier in the order since the game's general trend is to have you zag up Paldea till you reach the top (it doesn't feel entirely coincidental that the final titan, the last 2 star bases and 2 of the last 3 gyms are all in the the northern area)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
One thing I've always noticed is Gen 6/Kalos utterly lacking any sub-legendary Pokemon. Most generations always introduce a mostly native minor legendary trio or quartet, such as the birds, the beasts, Regis, the lake guardians, Swords of Justice, Forces of Nature, Tapus, Urshifu, Ogerpon, the Treasures of Ruin, and the Loyal Three. Galar also didn't introduce any initially but added some of its own via the DLC with Urshifu, Galarian birds, Regieleki and Regidrago, and the two steeds.

Gen 6 really kinda stands out for introducing a solid 0 sub-legendaries to the roster. Its entire legendary roster is its mascot trio Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde who are restricted/major legendaries, and three mythicals in Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion. I wonder why they just avoided introducing sub-legendaries to the roster altogether here.

I do wonder what they'll do with Legends: Z-A in this regard. Since there are no sub-legendaries, will any new ones be added? Maybe they'll bring in other ones like the Latis with their Megas? I do wonder what they could do here to add as legendaries to hunt for/collect as part of a story quest or something among those lines.

One thing I've always noticed is Gen 6/Kalos utterly lacking any sub-legendary Pokemon. Most generations always introduce a mostly native minor legendary trio or quartet, such as the birds, the beasts, Regis, the lake guardians, Swords of Justice, Forces of Nature, Tapus, Urshifu, Ogerpon, the Treasures of Ruin, and the Loyal Three. Galar also didn't introduce any initially but added some of its own via the DLC with Urshifu, Galarian birds, Regieleki and Regidrago, and the two steeds.

Gen 6 really kinda stands out for introducing a solid 0 sub-legendaries to the roster. Its entire legendary roster is its mascot trio Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde who are restricted/major legendaries, and three mythicals in Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion. I wonder why they just avoided introducing sub-legendaries to the roster altogether here.

I do wonder what they'll do with Legends: Z-A in this regard. Since there are no sub-legendaries, will any new ones be added? Maybe they'll bring in other ones like the Latis with their Megas? I do wonder what they could do here to add as legendaries to hunt for/collect as part of a story quest or something among those lines.
well worst case they can just import another region's legends. Sinnoh had one million sub legends and still felt the need to import 3 others and then add a new one for Hisui.

Or, hell, just reuse the birds again considering they were in XY to begin with.

I am still on the A-B-C legendary train, personally. B & C could be sublegends

My stab-in-the-dark speculation is that it’s for the same reason I think there were only 72 new Pokémon added — a lot of XY’s development would have been spent making the absolute shit ton of high-quality 3D models for the 649 existing Pokémon, so why add even more onto that workload with an abundance new species?

And then, once you know you’ve only got about 70 slots (even less if you rule out the nine guaranteed for the Starters) to work with, it’s just a matter of “Do we really want to commit nine of these to Legendaries and Mythicals, or can we sacrifice some of those?” Obviously the game needs box art Legendaries, and Mythicals are needed for the next few years of movie tie-ins. So away goes the traditional sub-Legendary trio.

Just to consider some additional factors, maybe they also felt comfortable with it since Gen 5 added two sub-Legendary trios, or maybe they were responding to the criticism that was sort of common at the time about how it felt like they were introducing too many Legendaries. We’ve no way to know, but those are my guesses.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I don't have the source handy so you'll have to "dude, trust me" on this but XY did have sub-legendaries: Mega Evolutions.

No, seriously. Apparently the developers internally considered Megas XY's equivalent to sub-legendaries. My buddy ol chum Hematite could tell you more on this but with this knowledge in mind suddenly SO many things about how they were handled start to make sense.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion

I was wondering about this when L:ZA was announced. None of the existing legendary groups which haven't already been expanded in some way feel likely to be (the only ones are the lake trio, swords of justice, or the tapus - they don't seem particularly likely to get a new member or mega evolutions) so I'm hoping we'll get an all-new group of sub-legendaries. Kalos could use some additional lore in that department.

Personally I'm just hoping that all three of the Kalos mythicals get their own dedicated quests. I want Volcanion to actually feel justified.

Last edited:
I was wondering about this when L:ZA was announced. None of the existing legendary groups which haven't already been expanded in some way feel likely to be (the only ones are the lake trio, swords of justice, or the tapus seem particularly likely to get a new member or mega evolutions) so I'm hoping we'll get an all-new group of sub-legendaries. Kalos could use some additional lore in that department.

Personally I'm just hoping that all three of the Kalos mythicals get their own dedicated quests. I want Volcanion to actually feel justified.
The 3 mythicals would make sense for filling the role traditionally filled by sub-legendaries TBH. Base 600 BST isn't that far from 580, and you could do a lot with each of them.
I'm also a bit surprised to hear so many people thought Tulip was the perfect spot for the 8th leader. If anything I'd have put her earlier in the order since the game's general trend is to have you zag up Paldea till you reach the top (it doesn't feel entirely coincidental that the final titan, the last 2 star bases and 2 of the last 3 gyms are all in the the northern area)
Tulip makes sense as either gym 2-3 or 8, but nowhere in between. Early is obvious. Gym 8...the way things are currently, you climb to the north, hit all the various challenges up there, and then have to go back down south for the gym you missed and are overleveled for(or have to zig-zag there and back north because you used a guide). If Tulip was 8th, then it would be more natural that you beat every challenge, and then the game tells you to go find the one you missed which is tougher than everything you've done so far.

Also, WHY LATE-GAME ICE GYM LEADERS?! GF has to know they suck, why do they keep throwing ice cubes at us and expect us to have difficulty? At least psychic's counters are somewhat rare.

I don't have the source handy so you'll have to "dude, trust me" on this but XY did have sub-legendaries: Mega Evolutions.

No, seriously. Apparently the developers internally considered Megas XY's equivalent to sub-legendaries. My buddy ol chum Hematite could tell you more on this but with this knowledge in mind suddenly SO many things about how they were handled start to make sense.
Oh! I know it was a while ago, but if it helps, I was just referring to this when I said that:
https://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nintendo_Dream_interview_reveals_new_mechanic_changes

The power-up of Mega Evolved Pokémon is meant to elevate them to the class of legendary Pokémon, hence the restriction of only one Pokémon being allowed to hold a Mega Stone during battles.​

It was my interpretation of this that Kalos didn't have any traditional minor Legendaries because the Megas were already acting in that capacity, and that's also why most of them were postgame and so few of them were used by NPCs;
it just happened that, because X and Y lean so strongly on fanservice all around, they basically thought it would be more fun if their would-be "minor Legendaries" were all "evolutions" of old Pokémon this time around (chosen "based on three points: visual looks, popularity and game balance"). Then they made so many of them that they added a GS Cup-style limitation to keep from crowding out the regular Pokémon (I mean, they'd never made 31 Legendaries at once before--), and the "mechanic" itself wasn't really meant to be much more than the cleanest execution of that.

For what it's worth, even if it can't be said that Megas were conceived as an explicit stand-in for minor Legendaries, the fact that a) they were compared to them from a competitive point of view and b) this comparison was given as the primary reason they chose to limit them to one per team all but confirms they were still competing with them for "space," as it were.
Maybe they didn't make "real" minor Legendaries because Megas were the minor Legendaries in their eyes all along,
or maybe they didn't make "real" minor Legendaries because - knowing that they were already pushing it with 28 Megas and that they even felt the need to introduce this one-per-team limit to limit their impact - it would be self-defeating to make even more Legendary-tier Pokémon that didn't follow that limitation.
Either way, the reason there were no other minor Legendaries seemingly does just boil down to "they thought that would be too many because of Megas."

Obviously they're kinda occupying an in-between state where they're not really Legendaries, but I found it useful to compare them to stuff like Ultra Beasts and Paradoxes if anything.
- They're all groups of technically-not-quite-Legendaries, but they still fill mechanical roles that are openly based on and adjacent to Legendaries, especially competitively, and they have in-game lore and campaign roles that tie them to the game mascots and all that;​
- they're more numerous and diverse than most actual Legendary groups;​
- each one relies on a distinct unifying mechanic (Mega Stones, Beast Boost, Proto/Quark/Booster Energy) and a distinct stat scheme (+100 BST, 570 BST made of prime numbers, 570/590/670 BST made of evens for Future/odds for Ancient) to set itself apart as a group, since there are too many to do the usual trio and quartet tropes of "one shared type" or "stats that just rearrange the same numbers;"​
- a few of them are encountered during each campaign, but the floodgates are opened so you can obtain them all for yourself in the postgame;​
- and so on...​
That kind of thing is what I mean!
Megas and Paradoxes are both, even more specifically, about as close as you can get to "Legendary-tier variants" of preexisting Pokémon, just that one is considered a form change and the other is its own species,
and a lot of the specifics of how Paradoxes were handled feel to me like a direct attempt at responding to the most common criticisms of Megas in VGC and giving a second try at almost the same idea. (They genuinely nailed it, for what it's worth! which makes me wonder if they might take anything away from that and rework the mechanical limits of Megas at all, now that they're revisiting them anyway.)

But yeah, when I brought up that interview with Dramps, I was basically trying to make the case that Megas were something much more functionally similar to Ultra Beasts and (especially) Paradoxes than to any of the so-called "generational gimmicks" / Z-Moves, Dynamax and Terastal; I was arguing that they at least should be treated like just another set of minor Legendaries.
Like, I'm sure they wouldn't belong in every game (which is also how I feel about true Legendaries... please stop putting every Legendary in every game it's getting ridiculous), but it just makes more sense to me to put them in rotation with the others, just like we got Ultra Beasts mixed in with the Legendary spam last Gen despite them totally definitely surely not being Legendaries, and just like I'm sure we can expect to see the Paradoxes brought back in a non-Paldea region for random postgame/competitive use once in a while, with or without getting any new ones.

I'm not 100% sure if Game Freak necessarily sees them that way, but I stand by it being the best way to look at them, if nothing else!
I definitely consider them Gen VI's minor Legendaries in everything but name, and I really wish more people would see them that way;
I think choosing to regard them more like Paradoxes and treating them as their own Pokémon that are just consciously built on a relationship to old ones (and less like a mechanic that could be made universal / should be held to the same standards as Z-Moves, Dynamax or Terastal or like simple "buffs" or "fixes" for their base forms) would help a lot of people to move past some specific criticisms of Mega Evolution that I don't agree with and get a better sense of what they were actually trying to do.

Uh, I could probably say more about this or explain myself better, but I am getting a bit off-topic and a bit tired right now, so I will stop myself for now--

edit: okay, maybe I'm just out of it right now, but I used way too many italics in this post and it was driving me crazy on rereading it--
uh, hopefully this is a little more readable!

Last edited:
I don't think this is a mystery, but I've had a question recently: Gen 2, despite its advances, was designed a lot like gen 1 was. It was a jrpg sequel, before the showcase of new mons was as much of a marketing thing as the games themselves etc.

so it makes me wonder why they decided to make this obvious sequel to gen 1 be in a fictional japanese place, when kanto was just a region that existed.

I don't think this is a mystery, but I've had a question recently: Gen 2, despite its advances, was designed a lot like gen 1 was. It was a jrpg sequel, before the showcase of new mons was as much of a marketing thing as the games themselves etc.

so it makes me wonder why they decided to make this obvious sequel to gen 1 be in a fictional japanese place, when kanto was just a region that existed.
Kanto was meant to be part of Japan for a while it just wasn't that strongly made a connection.

Gen 2 being set in "the rest" of Japan originally was probably because it was a jrpg sequel. The best way to show it was a bigger world, was by going across the entire continent and reframing the first game as merely one part of that continent. When they rebooted the game and downsized the concept I imagine Johto kept that strong "classical" Japanese iconography (compared to Kanto's contemporary) to both drastically differentiate itself from Kanto (now one half of the game) while retaining that original idea.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kanto was always based on the actual Kanto Plain in Japan, since that's the most extensive lowland in the Japan islands and also where most of contemporary urban Japan is, including its capital city Tokyo. Game Freak deliberately chose their home base as the region to base the original Pokemon games on since it was naturally familiar to them, particularly Tajiri, Sugimori, and Masuda who are Game Freak's OGs.

Johto itself is based on Kansai which is west of Kanto, and has the more traditional Japan aesthetic as opposed to IRL Kanto's contemporary vibe. In particular Ecruteak City is based on Kyoto while Goldenrod is based on Osaka. Using the region directly west of Kanto worked to enforce that sequel vibe and enforcing that the world of Pokemon was expanding was the most optimal choice for them, since Johto in-game is directly west of Kanto and on the same landmass, so using that to "expand" that land Pokemon originally took place in with more routes and more Pokemon helped to push that sequel vibe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)