Gen 8 My first natdex team, advice appreciated!

:Weavile:
Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

:Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

:Toxapex:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

:Clefable:
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Calm Mind

:Gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 100 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

:Hydreigon:
Hydreigon @ Groundium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 220 SpA / 28 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Roost

I'm VERY new to competitive pokemon, but I love the teambuilding aspect, and I especially love the idea of natdex. Unfortunately I seem to have encountered a learning curve that I want to get past. I've run this team through a few battles on showdown and lost a lot of them, I can't tell if the team sucks, or I suck, or maybe both? Most of these mons are just copypasted from the smogon pages for them. It says I need to give an explanation for each pokemon. Most experienced people here could probably give better ones just by looking at the team, but I'll do my best.

Ferrothorn -
Main spikes/entry hazard setter, usually my main lead in order to get spikes and/or leech seed out. Used mainly to slowly chip down opponents, but keeps power whip in order to not be setup fodder and to pressure water types. CHANGED from thunder wave to knock off as I realized the lack of use of it on my team, as well as it making an excellent combo with entry hazards, checking incoming pokemon and getting rid of leftovers and heavy duty boots. I chose Ferrothorn to mostly provide a solid defensive core with Toxapex as I know they work well together. One problem I notice in my gameplay is my tendency to essentially let my leads be suicide leads even if they aren't designed that way, and this happens sometimes when I lead with ferrothorn. I just get overwhelmed trying to set up so many hazards.

Toxapex - Works well with Ferrothorn, and is an alternative lead that can set up toxic against opponents. Stalling is easy due to its bulk and access to recover. Haze prevents opponents from simply setting up on it. Scald is mostly used for a burn chance in order to check any offense that may come in. Most of my use for it is in toxic stalling or getting rid of any of the opponent's buffs. I feel that I struggle with it though as sometimes I'll find myself in situations that i just get stuck in because I have basically no offense with it. Maybe that's my cue to switch into one of my offensive mons?

Clefable - Builds a nice core with Ferrothorn and Toxapex, sets up stealth rock and can threaten any other hazard setters or defoggers to avoid their hazards and keep stealth rock up. Calm mind can also provide utility as a potential sweeper if left unchecked. Soft boiled just allows it to stay on the field longer and be a thorn in the side of the opponent. Provides decent bulk along with Ferrothorn and Toxapex making up my main defensive core and a gang of annoying entry hazard setters. However, I find it hard to make use of opportunities in offense because despite its bulk it's difficult for me to get more than one or two attacks off before dying.

Gliscor - Mostly just a defogger and ground type utility. Notably my only mon with u-turn or similar attack, could be a source of clunky switches and gameplay, not really sure. Gets rid of entry hazards effectively and can check common hazard setters. Besides that, not really sure to be honest. This is probably my weakest pokemon in terms of my knowledge of how to use it. It just seems like an empty slot unless i get the chance to switch it in, use defog, u-turn, and then get back to my other pokemon. Am I mising something or is that the gist of Gliscor?

Weavile - Finally on to my favorites, the first of the offensive gang. Choice band allows weavile to be an effective revenge killer, and pursuit lets it trap opponents in some cases. Ice shard with priority lets it take down opponents that have taken chip damage or are just low. Requires defog support from gliscor as he's a bit of a glass cannon. If Galarian Darmanitan weren't banned I would probably replace weavile with it as they seem to fill the same roll but a choice scarf darmanitan would provide better speed control and coverage.

Hydreigon - Finally, the second member of the offense gang. Nasty plot allows great setup potential and hydreigon is my primary wallbreaker. Roost also allows it to stay on the field longer and act as a pseudo-defensive pokemon as well. Despite the long list of pokemon it can smash through, I struggle to find good use of it. Maybe it's just my inexperience or something else with the team. However, unless there's some major flaw with Hydreigon I'd like to keep it on the team, or at least some dragon type, cause dragon types are pretty neat.

I'd really appreciate any advice anybody can give. What should I change about the team? What should playing with the team look like? General battle advice? sign me up. Anything at all really, thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi strawbs , welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this. Also, feel free to PM me if you need help or have any question. Have a nice day!

To PM someone on Smogon, go over their name on any of their post. It will display a little pop-up with a summary of their profile. Then, hit the "Start conversation" button and you will be able to write a PM just like you write a regular thread.

Why did you choose this Pokemon?
What do the EV spreads do and why do you have it?
What are all 4 moves for?

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
thank you for sending the updated description, unlocked and added sprites.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Is this team for Gen 7 OU or Gen 8 National Dex? Asking because the concept of a separate National Dex format didn't exist in Gen 7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)