Resource Monotype World Cup - Team and Sets Dump Thread

Marigold

formerly KuraiTenshi26
Canada had one hell of a run, damn. Maybe going 6-3 is biasing me, but I loved this mono wcop format. Playing with some ppl I know closely in a rivalry-inducing but fun environment is neat and all, but I think that forcing teams into countries rather than auction-style drafting makes for less cliquey rosters (you don't just go for ppl in your friend circle) and more accessibility for outside players, like me.

Mono BW is a very interesting and fun meta. I didn't feel like any mon in particular was broken, and the top 6-8 types have very interesting matchup interactions. Dragon seems stereotypically busted but in practice, it's a rather do-or-die and unforgiving type. Same with fighting, which also gets mindlessly considered busted strong but in reality, you're really banking off of 1-2 mons per matchup and losing them means the game is over. On the other hand, psychic is a very consistent type that matches up well against near everything except for dedicated countertypes in fire and dark. I would legit put that type in S tier alongside water, dragon, and fighting. It requires as much prep as those big 3 but is the most consistent of all the types, and has the most room for innovation in BW.
Something I noticed in the mono community is that some tiers are so stale or players are just way too basic building-wise... seriously, people can use an identical or minutely changed team for over a year! I didn't like a lot of these commonly passed/spammed builds so I built a fresh team almost every week, usually trying to alleviate typically bad matchups. Here's some of the fire, weird, Kev-anxiety-inducing sets that I brought and why.

yes I knew it was screens from the calc, but shoutouts to Dondyxd for this work of art lol

Skarmory @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Sleep Talk

Brought this in my debut against Lavos, I wanted to do a fresh take on the flying archetype. It's usually a lame bulky offense with Skarm + Xatu for hazard game, but flying has some dangerous breakers so I wanted to try hyper offense instead. Flying's sole dragon resist is Skarmory and a spdef set wouldn't fit well on HO, so I opted for an... offensive one...? instead. This set is made to trap scarf Latis, so that scarf Salamence can easily shred dragon apart afterwards. It's also a sleep absorber which flying lacks without Xatu, so that's a nice bonus. Outside of those matchups, it can just claim 1-2 and that's all you really need it to do on HO. Looks wack but it won me the game, y'all can stop calling it out now lol

Bronzong @ Normal Gem
Ability: Levitate
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Ferrothorn @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Bulldoze
- Sleep Talk

I wanted to try steel offense as well but it's so slooooooow in BW. I tried to build around some weird scarfers but decided to just take advantage of being slow as dicks, and run trick room. Normal gem explosion really hurts, capable of ohko'ing stuff like Gastrodon, Garchomp, Keldeo, and other huge threats to steel. Banded Ferrothorn naturally continues the onslaught and helps a ton in the water matchup for steel offense. Also if the TR goes up against fighting, dragon, water, and more... this core claims 3-4 kills easily due to a lack of good grass/steel resists in the metagame. I got matchup'd vs Nidoking + subtect Gliscor ground but still almost won, I choked the game away but that's just a testament to how powerful this core can be in terms of circumventing shit matchups.

Azelf @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

I didn't want to run a typical Xatu + Victini psychic team because those just autolose to scrafty, so I replaced Xatu with sash Zam to give me a last ditch revenger. That meant losing hazard prevention though and I was uncomfortable with using Victini without removal at the time, so I replaced it with banded Azelf instead. The extra speed is also very clutch in Dragon and opposing Psychic matchups. I should have listened to Splashbrutha and used Explosion, would have lured Skuntank and instawon me the game LOL

Froslass @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder
- Trick

Brought this in the finals vs Sabella on my ice team, I knew he liked basic types + normal/ground/flying so I figured this would be more effective than standard sash. Trick cripples the eviolite core, specs 120 bp boltbeam handles every standard type. Shadow ball is stupid for psychic to switch into, especially with hail support nullifying lefties on steel/psychic mons. Thunder > tbolt is to ohko Keldeo, a gigantic threat to ice. Luring that asap is super good for the ice type.

Cloyster @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Explosion
- Razor Shell / Rapid Spin

Brought this on my water AND ice team, the dragon matchup was looking kinda bad for water so I threw this set on. Outspeeding non-scarf dragons and notably destroying sash chomp/multiscale dnite immediately is such a huge boon for water, and it can surprise stuff like Alakazam or KyuB for ice. Also, it can sacrifice itself to weaken a Keldeo into shard range by exploding. The fast spin is very important for ice too to remove hazards in a pinch. I'm so glad I brought it vs Sabella, it won me the finals game.

Shoutouts to all of Team Canada, I only enjoyed this tour cause of you guys. Thanks for trusting my prep while not just blindly dismissing what I had to offer, and I also really appreciate all the advice/tips I got to make me a better player. If you're ever running this or a similar event again, you know who to call for BW.

Sae

In the midst of Orre
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've got to say I had some of the most fun teambuilding in MWC thanks to the Central STABmons core of Ridley and Catalystic to help me out. Would definitely want to team up with these two again for a future team tournament.
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Pin Missile
- Heal Order

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Impish Nature
- King's Shield
- Strength Sap
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- King's Shield
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 SpD
Impish Nature
- Beak Blast
- Anchor Shot
- Roost
- Toxic

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7customgame-429714

So this was the team I brought vs Leru. I kept debating with Ridley about how to go about beating the defensive water core of of Swampert + Toxapex, because those two can be really annoying for some teams to handle (especially with Rotom-Wash and Sap Sipper Azu if they bring it). Most people tend to bring a Scarf Magneton rather than a Scarf Magnezone and the ability would normally be Magnet Pull. Then Ridley just told me to run this:
252 SpA Analytic Magnezone Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Swampert: 372-440 (92 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Basically, we had slightly better chances than a coin toss to kill Swampert on the switch before it mega evolves. Turn 1 I got the play of calling out the Swampert. Crit kind of guaranteed the kill, but it was still in my favor, so I was glad that set choice ended up working out perfectly. Choked a bit that game by sacking Mage cause I got antsy and letting Zone lose its Scarf, but it kind of came down to Ferro missing Power Whip at the end which was unfortunate (Strength Sap would give me my health back if he Shell Smashes and I don't die to +2 Hydro Vortex; on the off chance the Cloyster was Timid, it won't kill Zone at the range it was at without having a Shell Smash).

Also you might be wondering why there were 2 Z moves LOL. Okay so Anttya was warning me about that before I finalized it, but for some reason it never clicked with me until after the game was done. Earlier versions of the team used Metronome Mage, but we made the last second call to go back to Fairium Z. Z Beak Blast on Celesteela is pretty cool to get rid of Araquanid (unless you're like me who ran Coba Berry for Mega Pidge) and also Mega Lopunny since you can ignore the potential Encore. It also has the added benefit of hitting Bulletproof Z Kommo-o for enough damage to kill with Scizor's BP assuming SR is up.

+1 252 SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 48 SpD Celesteela: 232-274 (58.4 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Celesteela Supersonic Skystrike (180 BP) vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 216-254 (73.9 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
80+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 58-70 (19.8 - 23.9%) -- possible 5HKO

Ev's for Celesteela and Ferro I think were based around Specs Keldeo(?). Scizor Speed Ev's hit 210 to outspeed neutral max speed 55's and deal with no speed Rotom.

Gyarados @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Crabhammer
- Natural Gift

Gives me an extra way of dealing with Mega Swampert to help open up Aerodactyl. Didn't get the proper MU so I got bopped that week vs Sed.

Yanmega @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Oblivion Wing
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Electric]

I thought Fly Z was pretty cool to use if you want to play more aggressively with Yanmega. It's harder to safely setup since it lacks Protect and Focus Sash, but it can really do a number vs some of the more passive walls like Toxapex. HP Electric was chosen to hit Celesteela mainly, but you can use HP Fire or HP Ground depending on what you want to target.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thousand Waves
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Got this set as well as the entire team from Cata. It's supposed to be a lead set, but I kind of ignored that when I saw that Funbot was using Electric. I guess Precipice Blades would have technically beaten the Stunfisk since they're all SpDef, but on the offchance it was phydef, you guarantee the removal of that mon before it can get even more hazards up or decides to switch. Also, it gives you a safe way to pivot into something like Metro Cele or Z Mage since they're trapped.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Talk
- V-create
- Stone Edge
- Sacred Fire

Kind of an emergency speed control, but most people won't be expecting Scarf Heatran since Air Balloon and bulky sets are so much more useful overall. CBand was also an idea that's pretty cool if you want to go that route assuming you have something else that is scarfed

I didn't really bring anything exciting vs Sylveon, and I got a poor MU so nothing much to mention here :p

Ridley is actually the king of ORAS building oml. I think Central went 6-1 in the tier, and it got me 2 wins to make up for my lackluster performance in STABmons. ORAS is pretty well developed, so there wasn't anything super special about the teams that I used in my two games, but below were some of the sets that stood out to me when I was building.
Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Protect

I've always been a big fan of Adamant Mega Shark. You don't outspeed things like Scarf Kyu-B after +1, but you can dent so many more mons. It actually has a chance to OHKO max def Garchomp, which it did in my game vs Attribute. Adamant was only worth using though since I had Twave Slowbro to help mitigate the lack of Jolly and no scarves on the team. I think in general Jolly is usually the better nature for Sharpedo, but I felt like Adamant was the call here.

Besides the nature, the rest of the set is pretty standard. Everyone has been using Substitute over any other coverage move for quite some time. I do think that Hydro Pump is a pretty cool option if you want to be anti-flying and break Skarmory, but that would be (mostly) for a dark team since Water has plenty of ways around Skarm.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Ran SR on Lando-I to free up space on Gliscor and Skarmory. HP Ice helps deal with opposing Landorus and Gliscor which is important since Croven is known to use Flying. It also hits Latios for good damage and Croven was using a lot of Psychic this tour. This set originally had Rock Slide to be really anti-flying, but after some testing we decided to use Focus Blast as that was more useful overall. We might have gone Scarf on this spread, but I really didn't want to rely on Scarf Rocks on this kind of team (even if that made speed control really concerning).

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
here's the ice team i used vs ticken, i had high hopes for it and was hoping to throw him off with some whack shit but alas didnt work

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Encore

Cloyster @ Salac Berry
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpA / 220 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Substitute

Jynx @ Psychium Z
Ability: Forewarn
Timid Nature
- Magic Coat
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast

Weavile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Punishment
- Pursuit
- Low Kick
- Iron Tail

Froslass @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 92 Def / 164 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Snatch
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball

Mamoswine @ Chople Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Block
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

the one I was most eager to try out was the froslass, snatch lets it take advantage of stuff like pilo/mamo and set up its own rocks, to to bounce back a roar/set up alongside a cloyster that's behind veil/etc. unfort it wasnt able to do much in the game. block mamo lets it trap something that cloyster can then set up on, like opposing mamo or maybe a weavile locked into low kick, since if rocks are up, rocks + low kick brings cloyster to salac range which then wins. the jynx was just a filler, useful for bouncing back rocks or setting up late game if weavile is gone ( it was normalium during my game because my headass though lovely kiss was a normal type move). the cloyster is probably the most effective thing on the team, as behind veil it can take stuff like flash cannon from kyurem-b then set up and win and stuff, with salac letting it not get ousped by scarf weavile. unfort it ended up being faced by draco meteor kyurem, which didnt do it much justice. overall, think it's a really fun team, feel free to use/make changes if you wish.

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
Hello everyone, I am excited to share all my teams so ty Decem for creating this thread! Usually I am iffy on sharing Monothreat strats because I would rather people come up with their own since that is half the fun of Monothreat. However, as it is nearing the end of the gen and I am sure some new mechanic awaits us in SWSH, I feel now would be a great time to archive these.
Nigel (Pelipper) (M) @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Jar Opener (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Low Kick
- Rock Slide
- Mirror Coat

Dolphini (Tapu Fini) @ Mago Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 224 HP / 4 Def / 52 SpA / 228 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Moonblast

Laundromat (Rotom-Wash) @ Rindo Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 40 SpD / 220 Spe
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Toxic
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Zukushiku (Greninja) (M) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Return
- Gunk Shot
- Grass Knot
- Happy Hour

Perla (Manaphy) @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Heart Swap
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
Kevin is an interesting guy for me to prep for as I test with him often so he knows most of my tricks and past builds. He loves to bring fairly standard Pokemon with a ton of setup users, ty to Attribute for noticing the setup aspect. Setup on Water usually just includes Manaphy, Fini, Z Happy Hour Gren, and Mega Gyara so those were what I prepped for most. I was inspired to use Heart Swap Manaphy and Mega Swampert with Rain support as a result so I could either steal the boosts for myself or revenge with Swampert under the rain. That still left me pretty Z Happy Hour Gren and DD Gyara weak so I added a specially defensive Rotom to help with Gren and a Fini to help with Gyara, for obvious reasons. Fini also acted as a way to weaken walls or blast some holes through the opponent for my own Gren.

Some neat features on this team is Mirror Coat on Swampert so that you can Mirror Coat an unsuspecting Rotom-W that uses HP Grass on you. I'm sure you can use it against more stuff like a Fini, I suppose, but it's really only there for Rotom. (Peep Turn 14 https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-871229876 sorry Ridley!) The other most notable gimmick is instead of using Z Happy Hour on Gren, you can use Breakneck Blitz because a Return + Z Return KOs Manaphy iirc so it is great to catch a Manaphy on the switch.

This team seems to do better against higher level players because some Pokemon that lower level players like to use, such as Ludicolo and Lapras, can be a pain to deal with.
Rice Krispie (Kyurem-Black) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Focus Blast
- Iron Head
- Flash Cannon
- Draco Meteor

Joker (Weavile) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Tail
- Foul Play
- Low Kick
- Pursuit

AbominableSnowcrab (Crabominable) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Drain Punch
- Iron Head
- Brick Break

Maiden (Jynx) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Forewarn
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Focus Blast
- Copycat
- Psychic

Ice Queen (Ninetales-Alola) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Cloak
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Shard

Shlash (Sandslash-Alola) (M) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Brick Break
- Stealth Rock
For this match I didn't have nearly as much insight on my opponent because I haven't been paying as close attention to room tours as I should and those are really the only times I see HNBL Monothreat. I also don't like Ice Monothreat that much so I stuck with some tried and true sets and one heat Pokemon. I tend to love balance, weather, Choiced Pokemon, and a guaranteed lead Pokemon -- All of which this team has. I am a big fan of Specs Ninetales because only a select group of Pokemon can take it well if you play it right. Scarf Crab is not too great but I thought I would try it out with Weavile Pursuit trapping Froslass but the lame Crab is slower than Kyurem so it doesn't do much in most cases, sadly. Never forget your Cloyster answers btw >:I That is all n_n

The main niche of the team is Ninetales which is not HA but the team also uses a Sandslash. The only battle I lost in testing was because my Ninetales set up the Hail for the opposing Sandslash so going with Snow Cloak was a safety precaution. Jynx is another neat set where if you miss your Lovely Kiss or they wake up early and use SR, you can Copycat it and force them to have SR up on their side too. I found that it can also save Focus Miss PP too which is neat.
Bird of Prey (Staraptor) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Unbearable (Bewear) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Roar

Virus (Porygon-Z) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 120 HP / 208 SpA / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Conversion
- Psychic
- Substitute

Melody (Meloetta) @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 92 Atk / 164 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Snatch

Chub chub (Snorlax) (M) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD
Impish Nature
- Frustration
- Recycle
- Toxic
- Whirlwind

Lola (Lopunny-Mega) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Encore
- Focus Punch
Never have I been this indecisive to build a team and then just lose to an early game crit. As Lycan was the other team's Captain, I wanted to use a team that did well vs what rozes brought in MWP2 and some techs that covered the typical strats newer Monothreat players would build. In testing, I found that Dark STAB P-Z with Psychic is deadly once Chansey is down so I tried to build around that. Dark P-Z also laughed at the Kee Berry Melo I brought previously so I was 100% sold on that idea. Some Pokemon I prepped for with this team was an opposing P-Z and Ditto. My Snorlax was designed to beat any P-Z, granted I do not let it get a bajillion NPs off, and My Lopunny lacks HJK so that the opposing Ditto can spam it against me. I do not think there is too much other than that which is not obvious.

Some neat tech here is Bulk Up Roar Bewear so that you win the Bulk Up Roar barring no crit. The Melo set is weird, I am still unsure about it myself but the idea with it was to just bait in the Chansey so I can Knock off the Eviolite for P-Z to sweep later in the match. Psychic STAB and a Pokemon faster than Diggersby is nice to have in general so I didn't mind her.

I wish the game was cleaner but the Kecleon made the matchup harder anyways so I would still say it was a coin toss w/o the Focus Punch crit. It was my fault for switching in Staraptor too when I had a Bewear so it was deserved for clicking anyhow.
Kramer (Aerodactyl-Mega) (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Fang
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Fang

Roman Pillars (Celesteela) @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 36 HP / 224 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Autotomize
- Flame Charge
- Stone Edge
- Heavy Slam

Dragon (Dragonite) (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 Def / 136 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Defog
- Extreme Speed

Colors (Archeops) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Endeavor

Going' to Town (Honchkrow) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Moxie
Naughty Nature
- Foul Play
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave

ThunderCat (Thundurus-Therian) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic
- U-turn
After coming off that loss I was not too motivated to create something new especially with the type being Flying so I just stuck with my tried and true Archeops team with some alterations. It's all fairly standard with the exception of Honchkrow. Archeops is the lead, Dragonite can act as an anti-lead for a team with regular Aero or another Archeops, Thundurus-T is my Electric immunity, etc, etc... This was a fairly risky choice considering Ridley had a paste to my previous team but I thought it was worth in the end.

I'm a big fan of Honchkrow because if it gets to +1, after a SP or Pursuit KO, it can OHKO Cele with Z Foul Play. It's a heavily mindgame reliant Pokemon to use due to SP and Pursuit so it is def not something that'll cop consistent kills but it's a fun mixup that I thought could catch SirSkit by surprise. I also wanted to use an anti-lead D-nite because my gut told me he would use a lead Aero or Archeops but I was out of it and thought he was Mega Aero EVEN THOUGH there was a Charizard... You live and learn I guess. :shrug: Sorry again for the unfort game SirSkit :c
Crayon (Charizard-Mega-X) (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 216 HP / 176 Atk / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Roost
- Tailwind

Jungle King (Infernape) (M) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Mach Punch
- Encore

Hot Spring (Volcanion) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 80 HP / 172 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Earth Power
- Defog
- Flame Charge

Overbaked (Rotom-Heat) @ Passho Berry
EVs: 24 HP / 176 SpA / 88 SpD / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Water]

Chad (Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpA / 172 SpD / 72 Spe
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Lavender (Marowak-Alola) (F) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 168 HP / 148 Atk / 180 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bonemerang
- Shadow Bone
- Stealth Rock
- Low Kick
I think this is my favorite team of the season because I just love Fire Monothreat and the team is solid. It was also fun to think of something a little different because East had Chait, obii, and torkool so none of my older teams would work in this case and I gave every Pokemon on this team a non 252/252/4 spread :D
Charizard
- 176+ Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcanion: 226-267 (75 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
- Speed is to speed creep 252 Timid/Jolly Volcanion (I added a little more to mine for other Charizards speed creeping Volc too)
- Rest is just slapped into HP

Infernape
-- 252 Atk Infernape Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 48 Def Infernape: 232-274 (79.1 - 93.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
^This is so it was in my favor to live the EQ rather than my opponent's without losing too much Atk

Rotom
- 252 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 24 HP / 88 SpD Passho Berry Rotom-Heat: 156-184 (63.1 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 176+ SpA Rotom-Heat Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 288-338 (95.6 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
- Speed is to speed creep 252 Timid/Jolly Volcanion

-- Idr what Volcanion's SpAtk benchmarked ;_; --

Heatran
- Enough speed for max Marowak because of Ridley
- Rest in SpDef for Blace and a little in SpAtk because why not

Marowak
- 252 SpA Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 168 HP / 180+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 260-308 (85.8 - 101.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
^Lowest amount of EVs to live a Shadow Ball with the highest roll possible. It was a little too much to go to 0% imo
- Speed for other slow Marowaks
- Rest slapped in Atk
The main idea going into this battle was to weaken Heatran so that I could get a Tailwind + Outrage sweep since nothing else resisted. I also wanted to avoid using Blacephalon because I felt they would try to take advantage of that with Houndoom or Scarf Infernape. I never build a Fire Monothreat without Rotom because it is too instrumental to go without. He also worked well to help prevent SR from staying up and checking Volcanion, aside from those dastardly Stone Edge ones. Rockium Infernape is great at killing something because nothing can switch in on a Z + another attack since everything faster than Infernape just falls, aside from maybe Infernape but that's why we have Mach Punch. Encore is great on Infernape for locking Charizard into a move if they decide to Roost or get greedy and DD again. I think the calcs tell the rest of the story here. Sorry for the parahax Finch! It was fun to play you after all this time.
Ninjah (Greninja) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Protean
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Putrid (Skuntank) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 200 HP / 176 Def / 132 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Play Rough
- Haze
- Defog

Tres (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Dragon Pulse
- U-turn

Dinorawr (Tyranitar) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 128 HP / 120 Atk / 120 Def / 4 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick
- Thunder Wave

Phil (Sableye-Mega) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Recover
- Imprison
- Dazzling Gleam
- Brick Break

Amanda (Drapion) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 232 HP / 232 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Poison Fang
This is prob the best example of me trying to tame myself when I prep rather than just going off the deep end with crazy creative sets. I went back to the classic Skuntank + Drapion defensive core mainly because I faintly remember testing with Thorn in MWP2 at around 1AM and he used offense vs me so doing offense v offense sounded sketchy to me. I also did some more classic sets with Waterium Gren + Scarf Hydreigon for my offensive core.

I would add a Calcs hide here since there are many custom spreads... but I do not remember since they are all like 2+yrs old by now. I believe Skunk and Drapion outspeed Pangoro and Mandi so that you can Taunt and force Mandi to switch or take RH damage while keeping T-spikes up or Play Rough Pangoro for the KO. I believe a max Def Skunk is bulkier than what I have but that set has done good for me and I genuinely just scrolled the bar to where I liked and called it a day #expertEVs. The Ttar is a cool looking one but whenever I tried to refigure out what it did I never figured it out sooo yea, I just trust it. Only thing I remember is that it outspeeds paralyzed non Scarf Weavile. Sableye is the same as Skunk, I just dragged it and thought it looked good.

Some tweaks I did to this team was Brick Break on Sableye, Superpower on Hydreigon, and Water Shuriken on Gren all because of, you guessed it, DD Ttar. I anticipated offense so I made sure I was not Mega Ttar food and added multiple ways to stop it. Brick Break on Sableye is specifically for Sub DD Ttar, otherwise I was straight 6-0ed. Superpower Hydreigon meant I did not have to risk a miss and I was still somewhat safe after a single DD but since Superpower on a non invested Hydreigon is fairly weak, I added Water Shuriken on Gren to get the remaining chip and to disrupt the type I am for faster Pokemon such as Weavile.
Royal Blue (Nidoking) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sheer Force
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Toxic Spikes
- Sucker Punch

Chomp (Garchomp) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Aqua Tail
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake

Grumper (Seismitoad) @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot
- Rain Dance
- Substitute

Uncle Moa (Mamoswine) @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
Naive Nature
- Superpower
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Freeze-Dry

Scooper (Diggersby) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Frustration
- Low Kick
- Quick Attack

Bulked Up (Swampert-Mega) @ Swampertite
EVs: 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Grass]
This is just the team rozes used vs SirSkit in MWP2 because roman and I fought night 0.

Truely wild and I never laughed so hard in my life. Thanks for that roman!
----

The team is designed to win both in and out of rain. Everything's fairly straight forward, get the T-spikes up to help chip things for Diggersby or Garchomp to dent, use Swampert or Seis to abuse the rain, use Seis to help prevent the opponent from sweeping, and Mamo to just dent some stuff. This was the hardest team for me to share since I believe in it so much but since I only plan on battling for fun now, here you all go.

I also want to do the teams I built for obii in playoffs because they were both something special and I am a big fan of both. I never created something like them before in either types so I think they are neat to look at.
Kabutops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Ancient Root (Cradily) (F) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 108 HP / 232 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Recover

Taerodactyl (Aerodactyl-Mega) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 196 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Oogway (Carracosta) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Solid Rock
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 SpA / 0 Spe
- Low Kick
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Iron Head

Dino (Tyranitar) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Dragon Tail

Brick (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
This is the most carefully crafted team I made for the tournament I feel. At first, I wanted to use Nihilego because you never see it but obii preferred Kebu once I removed T-Spikes so that's what we did. Kabu is great as a lead and I went only Water moves because the team has an AV Ttar with Pursuit so Cradily was not that big of a problem. Not to mention we also had an Aero with Iron Head to help take care of Cradily too. I gave Cradily enough speed to outspeed max speed Carra because I did not want a fast one bopping me with a non SS Z Iron Tail. I gave Carra a RH because it switched in on lots of physical hits and WP seemed meh in general. He is very slow and is Solid rock to check Staka.

The only relevant calc is:
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 196 HP / 4 Def Aerodactyl-Mega: 222-262 (63.4 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Ttar has a ton of SpDef and is AV just in case there is a +4 Speed +2 SpAtk Omastar because it can't straight OHKO Ttar. Great precaution.
Zeraora @ Assault Vest
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Plasma Fists
- Grass Knot

Rotom-Wash @ Waterium Z
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Toxic
- Pain Split

Heliolisk @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Surf
- Toxic
- Protect

Raichu-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Surge Surfer
Mild Nature
- Fake Out
- Psychic
- Encore
- Toxic

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt

Thundurus-Therian @ Iapapa Berry
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Grass Knot
Not much to say here, some good ol' offense with a lot of set up that mimics Kevin's style. I got frustrated in testing so I created an offensive Rotom as a joke but it actually came out pretty decently so I am happy about that. Always beware of Thundurus!

Having had the opportunity to revisit ORAS after almost 2 years since MPL 3 was pretty cool. I had a ton of ideas, most of which I never had the chance to use, but I figured I'd drop some of them here since I don't think I'll be using these exact sets and teams anytime soon.

Swampert @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Mirror Coat

This is a cool set which used to be pretty popular for a while. It's especially useful on slower teams with no dedicated check to Pokemon like Mega Charizard Y and Thundurus (and Heliolisk). I have Protect on this one but you can run Roar or Toxic or something instead.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Psywave
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 SpD / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Stone Edge
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon

This is the team I brought vs dcae in week 2. I had absolutely no idea what to build or use so I decided to go with Protect spam + hazard stack Steel since it seemed decently safe versus types I thought he might use, like Water and Psychic. I did get the Psychic matchup but I lost sight of what I was doing towards the end and choked. I'd definitely say that this is easily one of my favorite teams to use rn. An alternative option on this team is Bisharp, which I really wanted to be able to fit in. Opposing Choice Scarf Excadrill looked really annoying though and Magnezone's trapping ability is useful versus Flying and Steel so I couldn't see myself using Bisharp over it.

Cobalion @ Occa Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 180 HP / 76 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Iron Head

An Endal innovation. Occa Cobalion is a pretty cool way to completely ensure that you win the Psychic matchup by luring Victini and paralyzing it. With Victini out of the way, there's nothing that really revenge kills Heracross anymore. You just need to hit those Megahorns.

Deoxys-Defense @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 200 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Toxic

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Substitute
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Blue Flare
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Another fun team which Arifeen used vs Leru. The version I gave him had Substitute + 3 Attack Medicham, but I realized that Fake Out + Bullet Punch would be super good alongside hazard stack. Unfortunately, he ended up playing Choice Specs Shadow Ball Latios and Rocky Helmet Slowbro Psychic. I've also forgotten what the Deoxys-D EVs are for and they probably make no sense anyway so feel free to make new ones.

E: ban mega medi.

Last edited:

Vodoom

is a Tiering Contributor
MPL Champion
Quality post and teams as usual

Water
https://pokepast.es/6e22e5068a9eec28
Balanced water with bruxish.

------------------------------

https://pokepast.es/b500e4eac9f103f1
Wanted to build around Mega gyara since it has 0 usage in mono, u can add eq on gyara. Shit loses to like volcarona but no one uses that mon.

------------------------------

https://pokepast.es/386ecca5b82e3f98
Screen + setup is dumb broken. This team is like 7-1 in tours fkn goat

Poison:
https://pokepast.es/a2d00d24b50283bb
Scarf gengar helps vs psychic and electric, plz keep gleam on gengar unless u want to get dicked by kommo after boost, Z thunder nih deals with celes

Fairy:
https://pokepast.es/b933be5f9f501160
Koko kills bulu from full with Z

Last edited:
as ticken said, half the fun in monothreat is building insane bullshit and having it work. unfortunately i only had time to build during the ice threat week. i did come up with something fun tho

https://pokepast.es/7f332e00bb837d5a

i hit up ticken p early in the week for teams and tested a bunch to see how games play out since each type feels like its own meta. i realized that kyub / kyurem is super super broken and always gets 1-2 kos per game, crabominable is absolutely useless, and cloyster is also broken. i just built this team by taking the parts of ticken teams that i liked and putting em together but i really hated crab so i tried ninetales instead as i wanted something that outsped kyurem. i tried sash ninetales at first to lure scarf weav but it was just so weak before a nasty plot. then i put on sneasel as a meme and it was the only time i beat kevinelf in a test after losing like 400 times so i decided to use it. in general im a big fan of random sash mons that can get surprise kills and iirc sneasel picked up 2 in the actual game. cloy set is something metariolu showed me since i initially had sub as the last move but barrier is way better.

water threat is pretty interesting and i initially tried building webs but it turned out terribly. i just ended up asking thorn for his team since i wasnt really feeling what ticken built and was struggling to make my own stuff. feel like every water team needs either a volt immune or a hard rotom check like ludicolo or else volt switch into whatever just ends games. thats how i won week 1 cus my opp sacked his swampert by like turn 5 so i just clicked volt and u turn till i won.

for normal, tdk actually made this for me:

https://pokepast.es/eba9604936676e87

its actually better than it looks cus regigigas is like impossible to ko

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Keeping the monothreat trend going...

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
Naive Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Superpower
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard

Diggersby @ Focus Sash
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Seismitoad @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Grass Knot
- Substitute

Donphan @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Rapid Spin

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I hadn’t actually built for monothreat since the honchcrow era, but this was what I used vs elfman week7. I had an original build that had like z grass phan cb chomp, and something over diggers, but Moosical showed me wp phan and I figured it would be great as an anti lead to most things.

cb chomp generally picks one when it gets in anyways but Z gives you that one time nuke anyways that generally picks one and I legitimately wanted a secondary rocker because while phan is a great anti lead, there were possible situations that would lead both myself and my opponent without rocks and since I have a sash mon my main priority was to keep them off with phan and keep up as much pressure as I could. At the end of the day having double rocks wasn’t likely to be useful, but chomp doesn’t even need 4 slots in ground threat so it made sense to just chuck it on.

Scarf mamo made the most sense to me because it doesn’t really have any soft checks other than pilo and using pilo is risky as fuck imo so much it doubled up as a revenge killer as well for shit like chomp since Ice shard doesn’t even fucking kill even if ur LO I’m pretty sure.

Sash diggers was again something that just made the most sense to me. Since I was confident I could keep rocks off in any situation with phan, I thought sash was perfect as a lure and something that could still 2hko/ohko everything. You could probably just make it AoA and chuck s power but in the event someone came at me with pilo I figured it would be nice and having quick attack without sd or cb is poor so.

The rindo toad set I made before the week even started and it made sense to me because while I hadn’t really kept up with threat for awhile I knew there was a lot of Random physical grass shit that could lure toad and wipe out an Av set completely. Not only does rindo cover gk lando, special pert and anything that would get clicked against av, it also doesn’t fold to shit like dugtrio or random natural gift shit, seed bomb phan potentially yada yada. icy wind gives you great opportunities to outplay your opponent which I liked. Literally monothreat takes one
play to win a game so I liked the idea.

Apparently special pert was the wave anyways but honestly I mainly wanted to use it in case someone brought palosand vs me lmao. Yeah pretty standard I guess tho, evs probably aren’t ideal but I knew hp was affordable so I put in as much as I thought could work.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-896314976

So this is the part where we talk about how fantastic of a fucking matchup I had and how I threw it away. Lead was great, got what I wanted and then some and I had an extremely safe spin that would have saved my sash on diggers, but I got too far ahead and took the boom and while I had rocks up myself, it opened up more ways for elf to win that I could’ve eliminated by spinning. Fortunately I got the double down right and was able to pick off chomp, but that gave his mamo an opportunity as well. I threw out my diggers after my misplay made it useless and at this point since I got the double down right and was still ahead, I wanted to just keep picking up 100% kills and let my chomp take a shard to ensure my lead. unfortunately scarf diggers became a threat at that point and while I still was in a great spot, I had to rely on getting at least 3 Spear rolls to win, and even though getting at least 3 is likely, I didn’t and since I misplayed twice earlier by not spinning and letting chomp take damage, the rest of my team folded in the end. So yeah pretty much fucked myself on this one and could’ve had an even better chance at winning than relying on 3 spear hits. Kudos to elf for pulling out a win with a poor mu. Whether he knew it or not, he took advantage of my misplays the best way possible so ye.

TL;DR...Team is Flames, I suck donkey dick.
Apologies for grammar, I’m on mobile at work.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)