Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Happy Hour
- Iron Head
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
This is a team that I've built some time ago, but it has passed the test of time and still works pretty well even iwth all the metagame shifts since then. Also, this team just so happens to have Jirachi in it. So, without further ado, here's the team's description:
- Before I started to build the team, I knew I wanted a HO Steel team. So, I chose Skarmory as my suicide lead. I chose the Salac Berry + Sturdy combination instead of the Focus Sash + Weak Armor one for more consistency, but you can choose to go with the latter one as to not get murdered by Kyurem-B.

- Since Skarmory has problems against both Electric and Fire teams due to type weaknesses and both types having effective hazard clearers in Zapdos/Rotom-W and Torkoal/Rotom-H respectively, I knew I had to make Scarf Excadrill its first teammate to clean Electric teams once Zapdos is out by chip damage + Heatran's Taunt (we'll get to that later) and deal with the ever so dangerous M-ZardY and other Fire-types. Scarf Excadrill also plays the much needed role of speed control within the team.

- With Heatran inevitably joining the team, I knew I needed something to deal with Ground- and Water-types. Since Ferrothorn doesn't fit in the HO playstyle, I added AV Celesteela to the team. Between its four coverage moves, Celesteela can sweep Ground-types altogether in the right circumstances and take out dangerous Water-types like Specs Keldeo for its teammates, not to mention it also can deal decent damage to Dragon-types, which Steel teams can struggle against. AV Celesteela is also a useful pivot for HO teams that need a switch-in to special attacks.

- With a specially defensive pivot in the team, I felt like I now needed a physically defensive pivot. I also lacked priority moves and a setup
sweeper. Therefore, physically defensive M-Scizor was the next teammate. Its EV spread and nature enables it to greatly ease the Fighting matchup and to tank M-Swampert's Waterfall in the rain (unless bs flinch hax). It also has enough speed to go before Azumarill and M-Venusaur so it can use Bullet Punch or U-turn before they move. Speaking of U-turn, it has proven to be very useful for HO teams such as mine to safely place M-Scizor's teammates on the field, thus gaining momentum throughout the match.

- Due to its Fire immunity, Heatran is not just a staple on Steel teams, it's a mandatory member. With only two spots left, I immediately added Air Balloon Heatran for its stallbreaking skills, a second Ground immunity (Skarmory doesn't really count since it's a suicide lead) and another way of checking Fire-types with Earth power, Stone Edge and, of course, Flash Fire. Magma Storm + Taunt breaks through most defensive mons like Hippowdon (if Air Balloon is still intact) and Porygon2, and can prevent opposing Defoggers from clearing Skarmory's SR and Spikes away.

- Finally for the last teamslot, I needed a secondary setup sweeper that could clean Water-types, have either great speed or access to priority moves, and make the fighting matchup more bearable. I struggled for some time to find the perfect teammate, but after a while, I found that the unconventional mixed Z-Happy Hour Jirachi fit in perfectly with the rest of the team. After Z-Happy Hour and with a specially based mixed spread with Psychic and Thunderbolt, Jirachi OHKOes threatening and pesky Water-types like Specs/Scarf Keldeo and Toxapex (after SR, but still) and 2HKOes bulkier ones like Suicune and Sap Sipper Azumarill. Iron Head + Serene Grace also lets Jirachi make use of its decent Atk and great Speed stats to hax its way to victory weaken opposing mons before KOing them with its other moves (or before a teammate revenge kills it). The recently popular SubCM set might seem appealing to choose over my set, but I feel like it doesn't quite belong in a HO playstyle.

I'll finish the team's description by saying that the entire team MUST be shiny in order to achieve its maximum potential. Since Jirachi is the only team member to mandatorily be shiny, its set cannot be bluffed if the rest of the team isn't shiny too: when you see a shiny Jirachi surrounded by five other shiny mons, you don't see a Z-Happy Hour Jirachi, you just see yet another shiny mon. Plus, they all look pretty rad in their shiny form!

Enjoy! Ü
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-651788525 vs Ground (Landorus should always have Gravity aka Celesteela going to town)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-690968292 vs Dragon
More replays to come!

Hide tags are broken af. Sand Halp!!!
Edit #42: Due to broken buggy hide tags, I can't put the intro in the same hide tag as the description, so this is the best I can do. Have a good day! Ü

Last edited:

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Calm Mind Jirachi Balance:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 28 Atk / 228 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stone Edge

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 14 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Trick Room

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

This is a balanced steel team where we have the defensive core of Skarmory ,Ferrothorn and Heatran providing defensive pivot and utility in the form of Stealth rock,spikes and leech seed. Heatran on the team provides a crucial fire immunity and is running a stall breaker set that can remove walls such as Chansey and Toxapex for its teammates.
Stakataka is sporting it's OTR set that can sweep teams and is great mon in general as it exerbates match ups for steel. Jirachi with sub and calm mind improves poison and water match up as it can break such types with psychic and thunderbolt. Lastly excadrill is the speed control of the team to revenge kill threats such as Mega Charizard Y while also providing electric immunity to the team.

Last edited:
Voting phase has ended, congratulations to Harpp for winning Cycle 39!

Harp: 5
Lao: 1

Next cycle will be a Mono OM, tagging Acast to merge this with the Index thread

one of my best crafts during this mwp, this is basically flying stall + 1 wincon in refresh flyceus, which technically can beat alot of builds that lacks wallbreakers that overwhelm it. This can 'on paper' beat most types other than Ice/Electric/Rock (uhh), some Dark/Water, and Ghost with CM offensive lunala with 3 attacks which completly break this if you dont have rocks up or dont setup flyceus before the opponent setup his wincon. Sets are classic, Double Defog keeps rocks off against most stuff, curse hooh cus 4 toxic is enough, and full def gliscor can come in handy against ground.

Innovation wins in monoubers. s/out torkool for the neat idea

Last edited:

Garou

Banned deucer.
So I wanted to build something completely wild so I made a light screen+reflect Ho-oh set+4 set up pokemon+a defogger because, you know thats not something you see at all ever. So I put the aforementioned Ho-oh set on then 4 pokemon I thought would be okay set up pokemon which were flying type. Much thought, many wow. Then I put a scarf yveltal with defog because that seemed reminiscent of the scarf defog togekiss set found on some HO flying builds. I haven't tested this team much just played a couple games low ladder ubers and went like 5-0, nothing to shout about, but it was pretty fun to use. (Note- the hawlucha is power herb so i waste less time under screens with sub+sitrus)

Ho-Oh @ Light Clay
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Roost
- Sacred Fire

Arceus-Flying @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- V-create

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Facade

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sky Attack
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics

Yveltal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dark Aura
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Arceus-Flying @ Sky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Recover
- Refresh

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog
- Refresh

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head
- Roost

Yveltal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dark Aura
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Recover
- Toxic

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

It's something I've had quite a bit of fun with as of late. Arceus-Flying being an amazing setup sweeper paired w/ defensive Mence, Ho-oh and Skarm rounds out its weaknesses fairly well. Modest Scarf Yveltal is there to maximize Special Damage, and Thundurus-T is an option you can use so you don't lose to Primal Kyogre at team preview~

damn Yveltal sprite is way too large

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)