Resource Monotype Creative / Underrated Sets (see post #125)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trapper Araquanid

Araquanid @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble / Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spider Web
- Soak
- Rest
- Toxic​

I noticed how completely awful the Poison and Water matchups can be for Bug teams, being able to block off most of Bug's offensive threats with their incredibly fat defensive cores(with most of the problems arising from Toxapex). Then I saw Eien using this set once and began to try it for myself. With its already fantastic Special Defense, Araquanid can easily switch into bulky Pokemon and proceed to trap them with Spider Web, Soak to remove their Poison or Steel typing if necessary, then put them on a timer with Toxic and watch them slowly die in front of you. The long list of defensive Pokemon that this set can switch into and remove include Toxapex, Mantine, Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Slowbro, Mega Venusaur, Chansey, Porygon2, Heatran without Taunt, the list goes on. In most cases, Water Bubble is the best ability, letting Araquanid deal with the aforementioned Heatran, as well as Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona. However, Water Absorb is still an option to avoid being trapped by Azumarill, and if predicted correctly, you can trap and remove it with its own Perish Song.

Here are a few replays:
Vs Water: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-789928596
After trapping Mantine, Sticky Web was guaranteed, and Volcarona had the door opened for it to run train, even though it ended up not needing to. The moment Suicune got Toxiced on the switch-in, the game was over, since Araquanid could effectively 1v1 the whole rest of the team.

Vs Poison: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-789941758
With Toxapex trapped and removed, Heracross's only consistent switch-in was Mega Venusaur, who was still always scared out by Araquanid. The removal of Toxapex also meant that with Sticky Web up and some chip damage on Alolan Muk, Volcarona was free to carry the late-game.

Vs Normal: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-789955203
Despite losing Mega Scizor relatively early into the game(which was pretty stupid tbh), Araquanid was able to trap and remove Chansey, essentially granting Volcarona with no reliable switch-ins. It was also helpful to keep away Stealth Rock for the rest of the game, giving Volcarona the health it needed to survive a hit from Porygon-Z in the late game.

Banded Crawdaunt

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower​
Crawdaunt has been gaining some popularity in OU, but has never really broken through in the Monotype scene. Well, hopefully that ends today, because Crawdaunt is a monster on rain teams and it deserves some recognition. Banded Aqua Jet under rain allows this thing to run through offensive teams without anything to resist this (mono-electric, mono-bug), and it also functions as a revenge killer if an opponent has already been chipped. Against bulkier teams, Crawdaunt can just click Knock Off or Crabhammer and remove something from the game. Even if the target survives, it will be crippled enough to let the rest of the team sweep. Finally, Superpower is on this set for some coverage against Dark and Steel types, although it can be replaced with Crunch for another Dark Stab as is common in OU. I gave Crawdaunt max HP evs just for maximum bulk, but you could also put them into speed to outspeed certain threats.

In the replays, although Crawdaunt doesn't completely sweep the other teams, it puts large dents in the defensive cores that the rest of the team can exploit to win the game.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-783738763
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-783716405
In these two mono-steel games, Crawdaunt tears through the defensive cores easily. Even though it didn't finish everything off, it let Kingdra and Swampert destroy the rest of the team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-783760929
So ignoring the hax at the end that won me the game, Crawdaunt put in so much work. It destroyed Celesteela and Zapdos and weakened Landorus a lot, which was huge in winning the game. And if I played better around the Mantine, I could have won this game without hax thanks to the work Crawdaunt put in.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Since no new posts seem like they are going to be made I am going to review this current wave of suggestions. I will only comment on sets that I am not going to approve, if you believe that the set should be added anyway, please pm me.
Trapper Araquanid

Araquanid @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble / Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spider Web
- Soak
- Rest
- Toxic​

I noticed how completely awful the Poison and Water matchups can be for Bug teams, being able to block off most of Bug's offensive threats with their incredibly fat defensive cores(with most of the problems arising from Toxapex). Then I saw Eien using this set once and began to try it for myself. With its already fantastic Special Defense, Araquanid can easily switch into bulky Pokemon and proceed to trap them with Spider Web, Soak to remove their Poison or Steel typing if necessary, then put them on a timer with Toxic and watch them slowly die in front of you. The long list of defensive Pokemon that this set can switch into and remove include Toxapex, Mantine, Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Slowbro, Mega Venusaur, Chansey, Porygon2, Heatran without Taunt, the list goes on. In most cases, Water Bubble is the best ability, letting Araquanid deal with the aforementioned Heatran, as well as Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona. However, Water Absorb is still an option to avoid being trapped by Azumarill, and if predicted correctly, you can trap and remove it with its own Perish Song.

Here are a few replays:
Vs Water: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-789928596
After trapping Mantine, Sticky Web was guaranteed, and Volcarona had the door opened for it to run train, even though it ended up not needing to. The moment Suicune got Toxiced on the switch-in, the game was over, since Araquanid could effectively 1v1 the whole rest of the team.

Vs Poison: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-789941758
With Toxapex trapped and removed, Heracross's only consistent switch-in was Mega Venusaur, who was still always scared out by Araquanid. The removal of Toxapex also meant that with Sticky Web up and some chip damage on Alolan Muk, Volcarona was free to carry the late-game.

Vs Normal: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-789955203
Despite losing Mega Scizor relatively early into the game(which was pretty stupid tbh), Araquanid was able to trap and remove Chansey, essentially granting Volcarona with no reliable switch-ins. It was also helpful to keep away Stealth Rock for the rest of the game, giving Volcarona the health it needed to survive a hit from Porygon-Z in the late game.
Set Approved.
Banded Crawdaunt

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower​
Crawdaunt has been gaining some popularity in OU, but has never really broken through in the Monotype scene. Well, hopefully that ends today, because Crawdaunt is a monster on rain teams and it deserves some recognition. Banded Aqua Jet under rain allows this thing to run through offensive teams without anything to resist this (mono-electric, mono-bug), and it also functions as a revenge killer if an opponent has already been chipped. Against bulkier teams, Crawdaunt can just click Knock Off or Crabhammer and remove something from the game. Even if the target survives, it will be crippled enough to let the rest of the team sweep. Finally, Superpower is on this set for some coverage against Dark and Steel types, although it can be replaced with Crunch for another Dark Stab as is common in OU. I gave Crawdaunt max HP evs just for maximum bulk, but you could also put them into speed to outspeed certain threats.

In the replays, although Crawdaunt doesn't completely sweep the other teams, it puts large dents in the defensive cores that the rest of the team can exploit to win the game.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-783738763
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-783716405
In these two mono-steel games, Crawdaunt tears through the defensive cores easily. Even though it didn't finish everything off, it let Kingdra and Swampert destroy the rest of the team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-783760929
So ignoring the hax at the end that won me the game, Crawdaunt put in so much work. It destroyed Celesteela and Zapdos and weakened Landorus a lot, which was huge in winning the game. And if I played better around the Mantine, I could have won this game without hax thanks to the work Crawdaunt put in.
While crawdaunt is a less used pick it is not exactly an underrated pokemon. With Adaptability+Choice Band everyone knows what crawduant does and is capable of, clicking stab moves and watching things drop. However for the purpose of this thread I would like to see the sets/pokemon be again creative or underrated, meaning this fits into neither. Set Rejected

Last edited:
Alright, Crawdaunt wasn't that creative, admittedly. But there's plenty more where that came from, and one of the many other weird sets I have come up with is resto chesto Torkoal.

Torkoal @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Rapid Spin
- Clear Smog
- Will-O-Wisp​
Torkoal is a staple in any mono-fire team because of its ability to remove the ever so threatening Stealth Rocks. Along with Rapid Spin, it usually runs a fire stab (lava plume), Yawn, and Stealth Rocks of its own. This set is usually run on a hyper offensive fire team, and so long as it can remove rocks long enough until it dies, the rest of the team can usually do its job and sweep the opponent. However, back in Gen 6 when I was just getting into Monotype, there were many matchups that felt unwinnable using this strategy. The mono-fighting matchup was difficult because scarf Terrakion could outspeed and OHKO every single thing after Torkoal was chipped, and mono-dragon could simply resist all of the stab moves and sweep fire while taking multiple hits from the hyper offensive team. Even more annoying were the times when I could not keep rocks off the field later in the game, which crippled my attack and let the opponent chip me down. Enter this Torkoal set, which both functions as a spinner and a physical wall that is meant to last. First, look at this calc

252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Torkoal: 198-234 (57.7 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeah, after tanking one of those, Torkoal can burn Terrakion and potentially live another hit to be able to Rest and wall another mon. Even if Torkoal gets 2HKO'd, which happens with rocks damage, the halved damage lets something else on the team (in my case, typically Volcanion) take out the Terrakion threat, after which the mono-fighting matchup is not difficult to deal with.

Of course, the mono-fighting matchup isn't as prevalent and important as it once was because fewer players are running it. A more relevant matchup which is just as difficult is the mono-dragon matchup, where Dragonite can sweep after setting up once (maybe scarf Blacephalon with HP Ice can beat it, but I don't run that thing so...). Torkoal once again is able to handle this threat with Clear Smog, which reduces the speed of the Dragonite as well as negating the Multiscale ability so that HP Ice Charizard-Y is able to outspeed and OHKO it. In return, Torkoal eats any hit barring Z-Outrage, even with rocks damage.

+1 252 Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Torkoal: 181-214 (52.7 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Torkoal: 204-240 (59.4 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Torkoal is also handy in dealing with Mega Altaria. The set I most commonly come across is Return/DDance/Roost/Refresh. In this case, by Clear Smogging every DDance and Will-o-wisping to chip as well as force Refresh PP, as well as being able to Rest even without Chesto and still not fearing death, Torkoal is able to 1v1 most Altaria sets. And, even if it is EQ Altaria, that just means that it isn't running Refresh to remove burn, so Will-o-wisp cripples it for the rest of the game.

These are the main sets that give my Fire team trouble that Torkoal is able to wall, but it can take on or cripple most physical attackers as well. Here's a few random calcs.

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Torkoal: 283-334 (82.5 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Mimikyu Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Torkoal: 214-253 (62.3 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gallade is crippled after a burn, and if I'm able to burn it before it boosts its attack, with Clear Smog and Rest Torkoal can 1v1 it easily.
After burning or Clear Smogging the Mimikyu after taking this big hit, Torkoal can just Rest, wake up with berry, and continue removing the stats of this mon and 1v1 it.

I should add here that the 92 spdef investments were added when Z-Celebrate Victini was common. After the Z-move, these evs guaranteed that Torkoal could live and Clear Smog as long as it didn't take rocks damage while still not compromising its defensive abilities.

In conclusion, this defensive Torkoal set is able to stick around and remove hazards for longer than the standard set, and it also has the ability to disrupt almost every physical attacker. This set allows Fire to play a more balanced playstyle rather than hyper offense. I'll link some replays below so you can see how it works. Thanks for reading!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-795481082 (a recent MLT game where Torkoal was GOAT
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-781353941 (Torkoal stopped the Gyara sweep hard)

Anti-Steel Cloyster: Ice

Cloyster @ Waterium Z
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hydro Pump​

I've been using this set for a while now and it has been paying off. Steel has always been regarded as the worst match-up for Ice, being basically impossible to beat. While this Cloyster set doesn't guarantee Ice to win at all, it makes the match-up much more feasible. So what exactly does this set provide vs Steel?

Rock Blast is left out since it's quite pointless against Steel. HP Fire hits Ferrothorn and Mega-Scizor 4x, while Icicle Spear already hits specially defensive Celesteela. Furthermore Heatran is weaker to Hydro Pump than he is to Rock Blast. Generally most steel types have a worse special defense than a physical defense. Relying on Cloyster's special attack stat with 252 investments further improves the match-up. Icicle Spear still OHKO's nearly every mon it has to KO in other match-ups at just 4 attack investments.

Hidden Power Fire is a great tool against Mega-Scizor. It allows you to effectively scout its set: offensive, specially defensive, or just the 252/252 set for lazy people who press the proposed investments. After that, you can act accordingly. Even specially defensive Mega-Scizor dies more often than not to one HP Fire + Hydro Vortex without needing a Shell Smash (see calcs). Technically, scouting with Hydro Vortex can be done as well, since it won't make a difference on total damage. However, you do not want to lose Hydro Vortex if they switch out because, depending on the set, you'll have trouble KO'ing it after.

Hidden Power Fire also allows you to chip Ferrothorn very well. Ferrothorn tends to switch into Cloyster often. People usually comment that Mega-Scizor is the worst mon for Ice to play against. I respectfully disagree. Ferrothorn is way worse. There's only two other Pokémon that can try to break Ferrothorn and one of them even gets OHKO'd by Ferrothorn (see calcs).

Downside of not using Rock Blast is that the Water and Fire match-up get weaker. However, the Water match-up is still quite doable since Ninetales-Alola hits half of the mons for 4x damage. Furthermore, Cloyster still hits hard in the Fire match-up with sun gone. Bug isn't weakened at all, since everything on Bug dies to Icicle Spear or Hydro regardless (besides Araquanid). Matchups like Flying are still won, even without Rock Blast.
Calcs against Mega-Scizor:

252 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 148-176 (43.1 - 51.3%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 169-199 (49.2 - 58%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Note that at minimal damages: 43,1% + 49,2% = 92,3% which means OHKO after rocks.
Note that the range goes from 92,3% to 109,3% which means the average range is 100,8% which is in favor of Cloyster.

144 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 153-180 (44.6 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
144 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 91-108 (26.5 - 31.4%) -- 34.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Note that the 144 special attack set doesn't run Hidden Power Fire.
Note that at maximal damages: 52,4% + 31,4% = 83,8% which means no OHKO after rocks
+2 252 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 337-397 (98.2 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 144 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 304-358 (88.6 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Also note that +2 Cloyster nearly always OHKO's specially defensive Mega-Scizor with Hydro Vortex, whereas you really want Rocks for the same calculation at 144 Special Attack.
Calcs against Bug's normal Scizor:

252 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 236-280 (83.9 - 99.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
144 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 212-252 (75.4 - 89.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

As said before, the 144 set doesn't run HP Fire, but this is just shown as an example that running HP Fire with 144 special attack isn't worth it.

252 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 271-321 (96.4 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
144 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 244-288 (86.8 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 184+ SpD Ferrothorn: 136-164 (38.6 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 184+ SpD Ferrothorn: 125-148 (35.5 - 42%) -- 83.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (104 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 212-252 (54.2 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

All though the Steel set usually runs Power Whip, in which case Kyurem-B is free to Ice Beam + Roost this thing to oblivion. Having both this and Cloyster is always nice though. If you use scarf Kyurem-B, this Cloyster set is nearly required against steel.

252 Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Superpower vs. 252 HP / 68+ Def Ferrothorn: 268-316 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 368-434 (101.9 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Superpower vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Ferrothorn: 294-346 (83.5 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see Mamoswine gets OHKO'd by Gyro even before the Superpower defense drop, while it dies to Power Whip after the defense drop.
+2 252 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Celesteela: 409-483 (102.7 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 144 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Celesteela: 369-435 (92.7 - 109.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Significant difference in range. Guaranteed OHKO against physically defensive Celesteela vs 56,3%. I'm not entirely sure, but I think steel runs a specially-defensive variant more often. However, this can be easily taken care off by Icicle Spear, Kyurem and Mamoswine.
252 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 174-205 (53.2 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 112 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 165-200 (50.4 - 61.1%) -- approx. 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
114 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 151-178 (46.1 - 54.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not that this set is guaranteed to 2HKO Skarmory with unboosted Hydro Pump, while Hydro Pump can't do that on the 112-144 set. Furthermore even +2 Icicle Spear doesn't break Skarmory. My set allows you to take care of Skarmory and bring it's HP in range of Mamoswine/Kyurem, meaning it's not even 100% safe after a Whirlwind.
1. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-790923575
2. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/azure-gen7monotype-136503
3. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-791144901 (Didn't scout Scizor Set with HP fire since I had played the guy before and expected him to swap to Heatran.)
For those who copy and play with the set: make sure your teambuilder has "Monotype" selected as tier before pasting the set. If Monotype isn't selected, the Teambuilder fits the IV's to match Hidden Power Fire (like it does in old gens). This has serious implications since it puts Cloyster's speed IV at 30, leaving it outsped by scarf Terrakion and the likes.

SubZium Kyurem-B: Dragon

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Freeze Shock
- Substitute

This set is similar to the one already posted, but is a better niche in my opinion. The moveset is quote on quote the set Soma uses on his Dragon team. The EV investment is something I edited myself.

Kyurem-B is given an adamant nature to provide it with as much attack and offensive ability as possible. This is done so that Icium Z can hit as hard as possible. While Freeze Shock seems like a lacking move, it gains more viability behind a sub. Even though it provides the opponent with a switch into whatever they seem best, there aren't many teams who have a dedicated switch in to a move of that power. On top of that, it can Paralyze. Lastly, while the opponent can switch freely, likewise could be stated that Freeze Shock forces a switch into something that probably can't break your sub, providing you with the upper hand.

Substitute is a very powerful move on Kyurem-B. It can switch into mons acting like a Life Orb set to force the mons out and set up a sub for free. Likewise it can fake an Iron Head Scarf set against mons like Mega-Diancie to get a free sub. Next, Substitute also allows Kyurem-B to avoid Scald burns in the Water match-up, while having next to no mons to break its sub - unless they sack the mon. Lastly, this set is also great against Normal due to it's EV investment.

56 hp EV's are given to put Kyurem-B at 405 hp. This is my own edit and it allows you to make sure Chansey can never break your sub with 1 Seismic Toss, while also putting your HP at an uneven number for sub and rocks damage. The EV's are taken off attack since Kyurem still needs the speed to outspeed unboosted Altaria-Mega, Mamoswine, ... Adamant nature provides you with a boost that more than covers the attack points lost due to the loss of 56 EV's.

Also note that Porygon2 cannot confidently switch in to a Freeze Shock as long as Icium Z is available.

200+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 153-181 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
200+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 220-259 (58.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This adds up for a total range of 99.7-117.5 which basically guarantees the KO.
Can't find/remember the account I used this set on, so I will add replays later if I find the time.

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Alright, Crawdaunt wasn't that creative, admittedly. But there's plenty more where that came from, and one of the many other weird sets I have come up with is resto chesto Torkoal.

Torkoal @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Rapid Spin
- Clear Smog
- Will-O-Wisp​
Torkoal is a staple in any mono-fire team because of its ability to remove the ever so threatening Stealth Rocks. Along with Rapid Spin, it usually runs a fire stab (lava plume), Yawn, and Stealth Rocks of its own. This set is usually run on a hyper offensive fire team, and so long as it can remove rocks long enough until it dies, the rest of the team can usually do its job and sweep the opponent. However, back in Gen 6 when I was just getting into Monotype, there were many matchups that felt unwinnable using this strategy. The mono-fighting matchup was difficult because scarf Terrakion could outspeed and OHKO every single thing after Torkoal was chipped, and mono-dragon could simply resist all of the stab moves and sweep fire while taking multiple hits from the hyper offensive team. Even more annoying were the times when I could not keep rocks off the field later in the game, which crippled my attack and let the opponent chip me down. Enter this Torkoal set, which both functions as a spinner and a physical wall that is meant to last. First, look at this calc

252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Torkoal: 198-234 (57.7 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeah, after tanking one of those, Torkoal can burn Terrakion and potentially live another hit to be able to Rest and wall another mon. Even if Torkoal gets 2HKO'd, which happens with rocks damage, the halved damage lets something else on the team (in my case, typically Volcanion) take out the Terrakion threat, after which the mono-fighting matchup is not difficult to deal with.

Of course, the mono-fighting matchup isn't as prevalent and important as it once was because fewer players are running it. A more relevant matchup which is just as difficult is the mono-dragon matchup, where Dragonite can sweep after setting up once (maybe scarf Blacephalon with HP Ice can beat it, but I don't run that thing so...). Torkoal once again is able to handle this threat with Clear Smog, which reduces the speed of the Dragonite as well as negating the Multiscale ability so that HP Ice Charizard-Y is able to outspeed and OHKO it. In return, Torkoal eats any hit barring Z-Outrage, even with rocks damage.

+1 252 Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Torkoal: 181-214 (52.7 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Torkoal: 204-240 (59.4 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Torkoal is also handy in dealing with Mega Altaria. The set I most commonly come across is Return/DDance/Roost/Refresh. In this case, by Clear Smogging every DDance and Will-o-wisping to chip as well as force Refresh PP, as well as being able to Rest even without Chesto and still not fearing death, Torkoal is able to 1v1 most Altaria sets. And, even if it is EQ Altaria, that just means that it isn't running Refresh to remove burn, so Will-o-wisp cripples it for the rest of the game.

These are the main sets that give my Fire team trouble that Torkoal is able to wall, but it can take on or cripple most physical attackers as well. Here's a few random calcs.

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Torkoal: 283-334 (82.5 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Mimikyu Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Torkoal: 214-253 (62.3 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gallade is crippled after a burn, and if I'm able to burn it before it boosts its attack, with Clear Smog and Rest Torkoal can 1v1 it easily.
After burning or Clear Smogging the Mimikyu after taking this big hit, Torkoal can just Rest, wake up with berry, and continue removing the stats of this mon and 1v1 it.

I should add here that the 92 spdef investments were added when Z-Celebrate Victini was common. After the Z-move, these evs guaranteed that Torkoal could live and Clear Smog as long as it didn't take rocks damage while still not compromising its defensive abilities.

In conclusion, this defensive Torkoal set is able to stick around and remove hazards for longer than the standard set, and it also has the ability to disrupt almost every physical attacker. This set allows Fire to play a more balanced playstyle rather than hyper offense. I'll link some replays below so you can see how it works. Thanks for reading!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-795481082 (a recent MLT game where Torkoal was GOAT
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-781353941 (Torkoal stopped the Gyara sweep hard)
Very interesting set here Vin Flint, however this is too gimmicky to be effective aside maybe on or two matchups. It is so splashable on fire thanks to it also being able to run Stealth Rock, however this set lacks that and Rest+Chesto is not a very reliable form of recovery, and can be removed with Knock Off/Trick. While it is an interesting set it borders again as too gimmicky to add. set rejected
Anti-Steel Cloyster: Ice

Cloyster @ Waterium Z
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hydro Pump​

I've been using this set for a while now and it has been paying off. Steel has always been regarded as the worst match-up for Ice, being basically impossible to beat. While this Cloyster set doesn't guarantee Ice to win at all, it makes the match-up much more feasible. So what exactly does this set provide vs Steel?

Rock Blast is left out since it's quite pointless against Steel. HP Fire hits Ferrothorn and Mega-Scizor 4x, while Icicle Spear already hits specially defensive Celesteela. Furthermore Heatran is weaker to Hydro Pump than he is to Rock Blast. Generally most steel types have a worse special defense than a physical defense. Relying on Cloyster's special attack stat with 252 investments further improves the match-up. Icicle Spear still OHKO's nearly every mon it has to KO in other match-ups at just 4 attack investments.

Hidden Power Fire is a great tool against Mega-Scizor. It allows you to effectively scout its set: offensive, specially defensive, or just the 252/252 set for lazy people who press the proposed investments. After that, you can act accordingly. Even specially defensive Mega-Scizor dies more often than not to one HP Fire + Hydro Vortex without needing a Shell Smash (see calcs). Technically, scouting with Hydro Vortex can be done as well, since it won't make a difference on total damage. However, you do not want to lose Hydro Vortex if they switch out because, depending on the set, you'll have trouble KO'ing it after.

Hidden Power Fire also allows you to chip Ferrothorn very well. Ferrothorn tends to switch into Cloyster often. People usually comment that Mega-Scizor is the worst mon for Ice to play against. I respectfully disagree. Ferrothorn is way worse. There's only two other Pokémon that can try to break Ferrothorn and one of them even gets OHKO'd by Ferrothorn (see calcs).

Downside of not using Rock Blast is that the Water and Fire match-up get weaker. However, the Water match-up is still quite doable since Ninetales-Alola hits half of the mons for 4x damage. Furthermore, Cloyster still hits hard in the Fire match-up with sun gone. Bug isn't weakened at all, since everything on Bug dies to Icicle Spear or Hydro regardless (besides Araquanid). Matchups like Flying are still won, even without Rock Blast.
Calcs against Mega-Scizor:

252 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 148-176 (43.1 - 51.3%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 169-199 (49.2 - 58%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Note that at minimal damages: 43,1% + 49,2% = 92,3% which means OHKO after rocks.
Note that the range goes from 92,3% to 109,3% which means the average range is 100,8% which is in favor of Cloyster.

144 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 153-180 (44.6 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
144 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 91-108 (26.5 - 31.4%) -- 34.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Note that the 144 special attack set doesn't run Hidden Power Fire.
Note that at maximal damages: 52,4% + 31,4% = 83,8% which means no OHKO after rocks
+2 252 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 337-397 (98.2 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 144 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 304-358 (88.6 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Also note that +2 Cloyster nearly always OHKO's specially defensive Mega-Scizor with Hydro Vortex, whereas you really want Rocks for the same calculation at 144 Special Attack.
Calcs against Bug's normal Scizor:

252 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 236-280 (83.9 - 99.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
144 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 212-252 (75.4 - 89.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

As said before, the 144 set doesn't run HP Fire, but this is just shown as an example that running HP Fire with 144 special attack isn't worth it.

252 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 271-321 (96.4 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
144 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 244-288 (86.8 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 184+ SpD Ferrothorn: 136-164 (38.6 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 184+ SpD Ferrothorn: 125-148 (35.5 - 42%) -- 83.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (104 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 212-252 (54.2 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

All though the Steel set usually runs Power Whip, in which case Kyurem-B is free to Ice Beam + Roost this thing to oblivion. Having both this and Cloyster is always nice though. If you use scarf Kyurem-B, this Cloyster set is nearly required against steel.

252 Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Superpower vs. 252 HP / 68+ Def Ferrothorn: 268-316 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 368-434 (101.9 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Superpower vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Ferrothorn: 294-346 (83.5 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see Mamoswine gets OHKO'd by Gyro even before the Superpower defense drop, while it dies to Power Whip after the defense drop.
+2 252 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Celesteela: 409-483 (102.7 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 144 SpA Cloyster Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Celesteela: 369-435 (92.7 - 109.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Significant difference in range. Guaranteed OHKO against physically defensive Celesteela vs 56,3%. I'm not entirely sure, but I think steel runs a specially-defensive variant more often. However, this can be easily taken care off by Icicle Spear, Kyurem and Mamoswine.
252 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 174-205 (53.2 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 112 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 165-200 (50.4 - 61.1%) -- approx. 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
114 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 151-178 (46.1 - 54.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not that this set is guaranteed to 2HKO Skarmory with unboosted Hydro Pump, while Hydro Pump can't do that on the 112-144 set. Furthermore even +2 Icicle Spear doesn't break Skarmory. My set allows you to take care of Skarmory and bring it's HP in range of Mamoswine/Kyurem, meaning it's not even 100% safe after a Whirlwind.
1. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-790923575
2. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/azure-gen7monotype-136503
3. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-791144901 (Didn't scout Scizor Set with HP fire since I had played the guy before and expected him to swap to Heatran.)
For those who copy and play with the set: make sure your teambuilder has "Monotype" selected as tier before pasting the set. If Monotype isn't selected, the Teambuilder fits the IV's to match Hidden Power Fire (like it does in old gens). This has serious implications since it puts Cloyster's speed IV at 30, leaving it outsped by scarf Terrakion and the likes.

SubZium Kyurem-B: Dragon

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Freeze Shock
- Substitute

This set is similar to the one already posted, but is a better niche in my opinion. The moveset is quote on quote the set Soma uses on his Dragon team. The EV investment is something I edited myself.

Kyurem-B is given an adamant nature to provide it with as much attack and offensive ability as possible. This is done so that Icium Z can hit as hard as possible. While Freeze Shock seems like a lacking move, it gains more viability behind a sub. Even though it provides the opponent with a switch into whatever they seem best, there aren't many teams who have a dedicated switch in to a move of that power. On top of that, it can Paralyze. Lastly, while the opponent can switch freely, likewise could be stated that Freeze Shock forces a switch into something that probably can't break your sub, providing you with the upper hand.

Substitute is a very powerful move on Kyurem-B. It can switch into mons acting like a Life Orb set to force the mons out and set up a sub for free. Likewise it can fake an Iron Head Scarf set against mons like Mega-Diancie to get a free sub. Next, Substitute also allows Kyurem-B to avoid Scald burns in the Water match-up, while having next to no mons to break its sub - unless they sack the mon. Lastly, this set is also great against Normal due to it's EV investment.

56 hp EV's are given to put Kyurem-B at 405 hp. This is my own edit and it allows you to make sure Chansey can never break your sub with 1 Seismic Toss, while also putting your HP at an uneven number for sub and rocks damage. The EV's are taken off attack since Kyurem still needs the speed to outspeed unboosted Altaria-Mega, Mamoswine, ... Adamant nature provides you with a boost that more than covers the attack points lost due to the loss of 56 EV's.

Also note that Porygon2 cannot confidently switch in to a Freeze Shock as long as Icium Z is available.

200+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 153-181 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
200+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 220-259 (58.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This adds up for a total range of 99.7-117.5 which basically guarantees the KO.
Can't find/remember the account I used this set on, so I will add replays later if I find the time.
FairyTailed, anti-steel Cloyster is very much a thing on Ice teams and not underused or underrated, it infact is a smogdex set except with Rock Blast > HP Fire. Therefore I am not going to add it into the set compendium. Also Kyurem-Black with Substitute and no Roost seems very bad, also having access to no good ice type move after the Subzero Slammer makes Kyurem-B really lackluster and not worth using. sets rejected

Last edited:
Very interesting set here Vin Flint, however this is too gimmicky to be effective aside maybe on or two matchups. It is so splashable on fire thanks to it also being able to run Stealth Rock, however this set lacks that and Rest+Chesto is not a very reliable form of recovery, and can be removed with Knock Off/Trick. While it is an interesting set it borders again as too gimmicky to add. set rejected

FairyTailed, anti-steel Cloyster is very much a thing on Ice teams and not underused or underrated, it infact is a smogdex set except with Rock Blast > HP Fire. Therefore I am not going to add it into the set compendium. Also Kyurem-Black with Substitute and no Roost seems very bad, also having access to no good ice type move after the Subzero Slammer makes Kyurem-B really lackluster and not worth using. sets rejected
Giving it 252 special attack and HP Fire is exactly what differs it from the smogdex set and makes it Anti-Steel Cloyster - look at the calcs and explanation. Neither of those are listed on the smogdex set and thus makes it underrated/underused.

That said, I obviously accept your decision.

Last edited:
Balance Bug

1537552117028.jpeg

Vikavolt (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 32 SpA / 228 SpD
Calm Nature
- Discharge / Voltswitch
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball

Vikavolt forms a good defensive core with Araquanid and Mega Scizor. While the former can tank Fire moves, the latter can remove entry hazards and withstand Rock and Flying moves so long they are physical. Vikavolt, on the other hand, can tank moves from certain Electric and Flying Pkm such as Tapu Koko, Magnezone, Alola-Raichu, Zapdos, Pelipper, Celesteela, and Tornadus-T. To give some examples:

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Vikavolt: 121-144 (33.8 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Psychic vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Vikavolt: 149-177 (41.7 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Vikavolt: 146-174 (40.8 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Vikavolt: 142-168 (39.7 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Vikavolt: 164-194 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Celesteela Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Vikavolt: 122-144 (34.1 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

If I'm not mistaken, Vikavolt is the only Pkm that can fill this niche in Mono Bug. Armaldo cannot repeatedly come in on special attacks, especially not if they are boosted by Electric Terrain, and has to rely on Leftovers as the only mean to heal its HP. Galvantula, on the other hand, is too fragile. Vikavolt, however, can shrug off special moves from certain Electric and Flying Pkm and heal off the damage with Roost. This is very useful when you are fighting against Electric teams or teams, in general, that have Tapu Koko or Celesteela.
As for moves, you have the choice between Discharge and Voltswitch. The former can pressure non Electric Pkm by spreading Paralysis, thus giving your Sweepers an easier time to sweep. Voltswitch, though, can give you momentum. Hidden Power Ice is for pesky Pkm with a double Ice weakness, and Energy Ball threatens Ground Pkm such as Gastrodon or Swampert.

36 SpA Vikavolt Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Swampert: 400-472 (99 - 116.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
36 SpA Vikavolt Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 296-352 (92.7 - 110.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Here some replays.
1) https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-809000487
Using Roost allowed me to scout for Magnezone's set. As it was Choice Spec Hidden Power Fire, I could call back Vikavolt and send in Araquanid. Araquanid could then spread Toxic, while my opponent had a hard time pressuring Vikavolt with Thunderbolt and Psychic.

2) https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-808901955
Here, Vikavolt can easily take Tapu Koko's moves and threaten the opposing team with Discharge. Note how, starting with turn 11, the opponent won't send in Diancie at first but Klefki after the opposing Tapu Koko had used Voltswitch. I can only assume that this is to avoid paralaysis.

To sum up: Vikavolt makes a balanced Bug team possible if it forms a defensive core with Araquanid and Mega Scizor. It eases a bit the match-up against Electric teams, which is something Bug Teams usually struggles with in my experience. Having decent bulk and access to Roost allows you to scout the set of an opposing Pkm and, in contrast to Galvantula, it won't get worn down easily. Because of that, Water teams and Ground teams will have a very hard time at breaking the core; this in combination with Vikavolt's movepool allows you to easily pressure teams that are weak to its coverage moves or which are susceptiple to Paralysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)