SM OU Mega Tyranitar Team

Hey guys, been playing OU for about a month now and made this team a week ago. Still very new to teambuilding and from my first RMT I learned a lot from it (like no triple Z-moves and double stealth rock lol). People were so helpful last time and I'm trying to figure out how to improve my team.

The Team
So I decided to make a team around Mega Tyranitar because I feel like it's pretty strong based on watching others play. I've been playing with it and I managed to get to 1400 with it (don't laugh :P). Well, it helped. I also played with other teams.

upload_2017-8-8_18-49-4.png

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

I decided to use fire punch so I can OHKO Ferrothorn and Scizor after a DD. Learned the hard way that Ferrothorn and Mega-Scizor can 2HKO it so had to be careful with switching into them. Lotta people don't expect the Fire Punch though so they usually switch into Mega-TTar. I'm not sure if it's just a low elo thing (prolly) but I really love T-Tar because after a DD, it can do a lotta work due to the coverage. Dugtrio is super annoying for it, but if they bring it in on a DD, T-Tar can win if Dug doesn't have sash (except that one time I played vs one I froze it with Ice Punch :D)

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

So, through the Smogon analysis, I found that Fini is really great as a Defogger+Fighting/Water resist + Misty Terrain preventing burn/toxic on T-Tar. So I added that in there too. I don't think I use it very well though because I keep getting it killed lol.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

Here, I use Landorus-Therian as my rocker and put hidden power ice to hurt Zygarde like Smogon says. Slow U-turn helps a ton for T-Tar to be able to set up and start sweeping once his counters are gone.

upload_2017-8-8_19-8-1.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Decided to use Ferrothorn as my last bulky pokemon. Was thinking of Celesteela but I decided I wanted spikes and more water resist. Also wanted Spikes for Gengar because it helps get OHKOs.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

This is a set that is basically copied and pasted from Smogon, but instead of CB, I got Choice Scarf. So I decided to get a Choice Scarf user and was debating on this or Infernape. I decided to go with Victini for the sheer power of V-Create. It's kinda dumb though because V-Create lowers your speed again (lol) but I figure I'd just switch afterwards.

Gengar @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast

So this is probably the only set where I didn't just copy and paste from Smogon. I realized that I'm relatively weak to CB Zygarde so decided to add Hidden Power Ice to kill it after I get some damage on it. Also, with double U-turn, it helps me bring Gengar in safely to do some work. Every time I can safely bring this in, it always does so much for me. Spikes been netting Gengar lotta kills.

Conclusion
The way I've been playing this team is tanking with one of Landorus-T, Fini or Ferrothorn and then getting a good switch for Victini/Gengar/T-Tar to start setting up/doing some damage/grabbing a kill.

So in my experience I think the biggest problem with my team is Ground moves wreck 3/6 of my pokemon, with only one Ground immunity. I'm thinking of switching Gengar to Grassium Z SD Bulu, Ferrothorn to Celesteela, but still unsure. Now I'm pretty sure my pokemon team has holes that an inexperienced teambuilder like myself cannot see yet, so hoping to get some input from y'all. Thanks!

P.S. I would love to be able to put an importable on here, but I have no idea how to do that. If anyone can teach me how, please let me know!

Last edited:
Sup bud here is how you put an importable

Suppose I want to suggest a defensive landorus set

http://m.imgur.com/gIn5qIs you should type it like this. Repace the text between the hides in the bracket to the text you want.

It should look like this.

Landorus-Therain @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 12 Spe
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hope this helps, and sry for late reply.

Sup bud here is how you put an importable

Suppose I want to suggest a defensive landorus set

http://m.imgur.com/gIn5qIs you should type it like this. Repace the text between the hides in the bracket to the text you want.

It should look like this.

Landorus-Therain @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 12 Spe
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hope this helps, and sry for late reply.
Ah thanks for teaching me!

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
This is a solid team, but like every team, there's much to improve. In particular, your team seems to be rather weak and has trouble with walls, Volcarona and Charizard-Mega Y.

First of all, Icy Wind over HP Ice on Gengar, and Specs over Ghost Z. Move HP EVs to Def. Gengar is much better with a specs set as it lets it wall break a lot better. Ghost Z does not give it enough power after the one-time nuke for it to consistently do so. Icy Wind lets it 1v1 non-Scarf Latios a lot more easily. As for the EVs, moving them lets it switch into Stealth Rock while taking the least amount of damage due to having an odd numbered HP stat.

Now our Z-Move slot is free! What should be done with it? In my opinion, it should be given to Landorus-Therian. Defensive Lando isn't as good because it gives stall an easier time and isn't as good a rock setter as offensive lando.

Flynium Z over Defensive Landorus Therian.
Landorus-Therian @ Flynium Z
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance

This gives you another wincon and a good wallbreaker. It's also a much better Stealth Rock setter now, as it's more threatening offensively.

At this point, Tapu Fini isn't all that great for your team. Taunt was your only stall answer but now you have Gengar and Landorus and it's just not needed. In addition, your team doesn't really need defog. The reason Fini keeps dying is because it's too easily worn down.

Also, while Victini is more powerful than most other scarf mons, it isn't doing much for your team. V-Create is nice and all but your team badly needs answers to stall and Volcarona and Victini doesn't help there.

With both of these in mind, I'm gonna go for Scarf Keldeo over Victini

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Icy Wind

Icy Wind is another Zygarde answer. Stone Edge is for Volcarona and Zard Y, and the dual STABs let it revenge a wide variety of threats like Landorus and opposing Mega T-tar.

Now, to replace Fini, you have either Mantine, or you have Koko. Mantine largely fills the same role as Fini, which isn't very helpful, but it notably beats the Zard Y + Dugtrio core more reliably than Fini while still providing a bulky water. It's also a better Water resist than Fini with Water Absorb turning that into an immunity.

Matine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: EVs: 240 HP / 196 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze

This gives it an easier time vs Ash Gren, which is useful to have checked. Haze lets it beat Volcarona, which makes Volcarona a complete non-issue for your team.

Tapu Koko could also be used. In return for beating Volcarona and Ash Greninja, you get a pivot and a more offensive answer to Zard Y + Dugtrio, in addition to a Taunter.

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt

This is the generic special attacking set.

I'd personally say Koko over Mantine for Taunt and U-Turn, since your team really appreciates both, but it's fine either way if Ash Greninja is too much of an issue.

Finally, replace Power Whip on Ferrothorn for Protect. This helps it with Leech Seed and Lefties giving lots of nice recovery so it doesn't get worn down too easily.
Here's the team with the new changes:

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Icy Wind

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Knock Off

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Icy Wind
- Focus Blast

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Icy Wind

Matine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Knock Off

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Icy Wind
- Focus Blast

Last edited:
This is a solid team, but like every team, there's much to improve. In particular, your team seems to be rather weak and has trouble with walls, Volcarona and Charizard-Mega Y.

First of all, Icy Wind over HP Ice on Gengar, and Specs over Ghost Z. Move HP EVs to Def. Gengar is much better with a specs set as it lets it wall break a lot better. Ghost Z does not give it enough power after the one-time nuke for it to consistently do so. Icy Wind lets it 1v1 non-Scarf Latios a lot more easily. As for the EVs, moving them lets it switch into Stealth Rock while taking the least amount of damage due to having an odd numbered HP stat.

Now our Z-Move slot is free! What should be done with it? In my opinion, it should be given to Landorus-Therian. Defensive Lando isn't as good because it gives stall an easier time and isn't as good a rock setter as offensive lando.

Flynium Z over Defensive Landorus Therian.
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance

This gives you another wincon and a good wallbreaker. It's also a much better Stealth Rock setter now, as it's more threatening offensively.

At this point, Tapu Fini isn't all that great for your team. Taunt was your only stall answer but now you have Gengar and Landorus and it's just not needed. In addition, your team doesn't really need defog. The reason Fini keeps dying is because it's too easily worn down.

Also, while Victini is more powerful than most other scarf mons, it isn't doing much for your team. V-Create is nice and all but your team badly needs answers to stall and Volcarona and Victini doesn't help there.

With both of these in mind, I'm gonna go for Scarf Keldeo over Victini

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Icy Wind

Icy Wind is another Zygarde answer. Stone Edge is for Volcarona and Zard Y, and the dual STABs let it revenge a wide variety of threats like Landorus and opposing Mega T-tar.

Now, to replace Fini, you have either Mantine, or you have Koko. Mantine largely fills the same role as Fini, which isn't very helpful, but it notably beats the Zard Y + Dugtrio core more reliably than Fini while still providing a bulky water. It's also a better Water resist than Fini with Water Absorb turning that into an immunity.

Matine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze

This gives it an easier time vs Ash Gren, which is useful to have checked. Haze lets it beat Volcarona, which makes Volcarona a complete non-issue for your team.

Tapu Koko could also be used. In return for beating Volcarona and Ash Greninja, you get a pivot and a more offensive answer to Zard Y + Dugtrio, in addition to a Taunter.

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt

This is the generic special attacking set.

I'd personally say Koko over Mantine for Taunt and U-Turn, since your team really appreciates both, but it's fine either way if Ash Greninja is too much of an issue.

Finally, replace Power Whip on Ferrothorn for Protect. This helps it with Leech Seed and Lefties giving lots of nice recovery so it doesn't get worn down too easily.
Here's the team with the new changes:

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Icy Wind

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Knock Off

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Icy Wind
- Focus Blast

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Icy Wind

Matine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Knock Off

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Icy Wind
- Focus Blast
Hey thanks for the help! I really like Defog though because Spikes is just so annoying for my team since only Landorus is immune to it. You're right that I do have trouble with stall although Fini has been MVP during my matches against stall. I do like the Flynium Z lando + Choice Specs Gengar switch. One thing I'll really miss is the slow u-turn though that safely brings in Gengar/T-Tar :(

I'm confused about your reasoning with Scarf Victini being worse vs stall than Choice Scarf Keldeo? Doesn't Victini pack more power? Don't have a lot of experience with this game so I don't get what you mean here :P

Also, I'd love to fit Tapu Koko because it adds another Volt Switch user. However, I really do like Defog because Spikes just hurts a lot. What do you think of Defog Zapdos? Can take on Ferrothorn + Celesteela. Resists fighting but I guess not the greatest water switch in. Won't have any Dragon immunity either which is super annoying.

I will test out your changes though with both Mantine and Tapu Koko and see how it goes! Thanks!

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
I'm confused about your reasoning with Scarf Victini being worse vs stall than Choice Scarf Keldeo? Doesn't Victini pack more power? Don't have a lot of experience with this game so I don't get what you mean here :P
The reason is that choice scarf mons are supposed to revenge kill threats like set-up sweepers for the team. Choice Scarf Victini is simply too slow for one. It notably cannot beat Volcarona. In addition, Keldeo also handles Mega Zard Y, another huge threat for your team. Choice Scarf Victini honestly added just about nothing to your team and was the most expendable member of it. I'm somewhat new myself but I see other new players use Scarf Victini all the time and lose because of it. It's just not very good in this metagame.

Also, I'd love to fit Tapu Koko because it adds another Volt Switch user. However, I really do like Defog because Spikes just hurts a lot. What do you think of Defog Zapdos? Can take on Ferrothorn + Celesteela. Resists fighting but I guess not the greatest water switch in. Won't have any Dragon immunity either which is super annoying.
U-Turn is much, much better on Koko for your team, as it lets it handle Sash Dugtrio quite a bit more easily.

As for Defog Zapdos, it's not really bad, but Koko is just better for you. Your team struggles against Zard Y + Dugtrio and Koko is likely the greatest threat to that archetype while still providing valuable roles for you. If you really need Spikes gone that badly, then use Mantine, because it also handles that core very effectively. Zapdos is too weak to do much vs Mega Zard Y, and Band T-tar dispatches of it. Mantine can at least wall it while providing a valuable check to Volcarona. That being said, Defog Zapdos is a ok-ish middle ground between them. I'd go for Defog/Heat Wave/Discharge/Roost, and the spread from the site. Believe me, Discharge is better than Volt Switch for paralysis. That being said, I'd still recommend Koko over Zapdos though.

Last edited:
The reason is that choice scarf mons are supposed to revenge kill threats like set-up sweepers for the team. Choice Scarf Victini is simply too slow for one. It notably cannot beat Volcarona. In addition, Keldeo also handles Mega Zard Y, another huge threat for your team. Choice Scarf Victini honestly added just about nothing to your team and was the most expendable member of it. I'm somewhat new myself but I see other new players use Scarf Victini all the time and lose because of it. It's just not very good in this metagame.

U-Turn is much, much better on Koko for your team, as it lets it handle Sash Dugtrio quite a bit more easily.

As for Defog Zapdos, it's not really bad, but Koko is just better for you. Your team struggles against Zard Y + Dugtrio and Koko is likely the greatest threat to that archetype while still providing valuable roles for you. If you really need Spikes gone that badly, then use Mantine, because it also handles that core very effectively. Zapdos is too weak to do much vs Mega Zard Y, and Band T-tar dispatches of it. Mantine can at least wall it while providing a valuable check to Volcarona. That being said, Defog Zapdos is a ok-ish middle ground between them. I'd go for Defog/Heat Wave/Discharge/Roost, and the spread from the site. Believe me, Discharge is better than Volt Switch for paralysis. That being said, I'd still recommend Koko over Zapdos though.
tested it out with both Koko and Mantine, and I really like this team with Mantine. Zard Y + Dugtrio teams have been so much easier to deal with. I still like Victini over Keldeo though because it's pretty great against Celesteela since I'm not running Koko. Thanks man for the suggestion! I would never have thought of Mantine tbh because it's in RU but its been putting in a lotta work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)