Battle Spot Mega Steelix Trick Room Team

Hey all! Long time lurker, first time team-poster here. I’ve been dabbling and, well...lurking for more information on how I can make a team like this work, and I figured it was about time to see what widespread feedback I can get for it.

As a short intro, Mega Steelix is one of my favorite Pokémon, so I wanted to work together a team for him. Given its slow speed, it felt like a natural abuser of the Trick Room archetype. I know that stuff like Mawile can provide more support/coverage for a team like this, but I hold fast that Steelix can carve out a unique place with the playstyle.

I had found a lot of inspiration and hope from an old team posting of MattyBrollic, but since that team was for Generation 6’s OU metagame, it would need a few tweaks and my own flavor to really be my team. More recently, Hulavuta shared a Japanese TR team in the BSS General Discussion threat that he had luck with last generation, so I started from there. Admittedly, I could've gone through a lot more playtesting with it that I have, but I've had limited internet access for the last month-ish. There's been fair testing in the Battle Tree (way different meta, I know) and casual matches with friends, but I've gotten a good handful of matches in as I've been able to.

Here we go:

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Curse

Again, as one of my favorites, Steelix is definitely a main focus for the team. Great defensive ability (even uninvested) and solid health helps him tank even super effective, physical hits well and start setting up. EVs are to maximize health and power, and a Brave nature is used to abuse Trick Room (and it's slow as balls, anyway). Steelixite to Mega Evolve and increase bulk and power overall. Gyro Ball is used as the first STAB, and works wonderfully with Curse in and out of Trick Room. One Curse allows Gyro Ball to seriously dent anything that doesn't resist it, and it can usually get away with taking the hits to get a +1 Gyro Ball without Trick Room up. The standard Earthquake completes Steelix's STAB options. Fire Fang is used as a primary coverage move so as to not be completely walled by opposing Steel-types not weak to Ground like Ferrothorn and Scizor, but I've dabbled with Rock coverage instead.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

I opted for Mega Charizard X as a secondary Mega option in case Steelix would not fare well. This set (as well as Breloom and Porygon2) was taken from the TR team that Hulavuta shared. EVs are to take advantage of Mega Zard X's offenses. Adamant instead of Jolly is used to make use of Trick Room if it's up and it's against normally faster opponents. Flare Blitz and Outrage are both used as STAB nukes with Tough Claws, and Earthquake is used for general coverage. Dragon Dance is standard on this set, but it's especially helpful for patching up its less-than-optimal speed outside of Trick Room. I've considered Thunder Punch over Earthquake for alternative coverage, so I'm not opposed to it if it's suggested.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

I made some changes to Breloom here after some suggestions from Solerme. Now, Breloom gives actual Grass-type offensive coverage, while still providing Spore-support. I kept the Jolly nature, but used an offensive Technician build with a Focus Sash. Bullet Seed is the Grass STAB of the set, which is boosted by Technician and helps to break opposing Focus Sashes and Substitutes. Mach Punch is Fighting STAB that is boosted by Technician as well, and picks off weakened threats. Rock Tomb offers Rock coverage against Flying-types that switch in against Breloom, and can lower speed on anything that switches into it in general (barring abilities, of course). This build can still take advantage of Trick Room in a few situations; such as if it's somehow placed against a Charizard (Mega Y). It also helps against Mega Gyarados, which my team had a weakness against before, since it resists both of it's STABs and gives Substitute sets trouble.
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 140 HP / 116 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Low Sweep
- Spore
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Breloom is the second option I selected from the sample team I was working with. It gives Grass-type coverage on the defensive side (not using Grass-STAB), and it's Fighting-type provides another Rock resistance if I'm using it with Charizard. Toxic Orb is used with Poison Heal to increase its longevity. Max speed and Jolly is used to still outspeed slower threats out of TR, but Breloom is not super fast to begin with; so it can still be effective under TR. I believe the HP EV is for a Poison Heal number, but I'm not sure (I should've researched better). The rest are in defense to take physical hits better. Low Sweep is used to catch opposing Pokémon on the switch and lower speed so that they can get tagged with Spore before they can act (I think I saved a friendly match against a friend that I can share where this thing gave his Mega Zard Y a heap of trouble). Substitute and Leech Seed are used in combination to preserve Breloom's health, and constantly sap the opponent. Breloom's sole attack can certainly be up for debate; Rock Tomb can peg Charizard better than Low Sweep with the same after effect, but it's accuracy and effect-chance are dodgy.​

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

The third Pokémon from the sample team I selected for this one, and first Trick Room setter. Porygon2 offers a unique ability where it can hit hard with (and without) a Download boost, and still be bulky enough with the Eviolite to take hits. These points together allow it to be a safe Trick Room user and abuser all its own. Modest is used so it still has some chance to outspeed slower threats out of TR, but also under-speed threats for TR. EVs allow it to take solid hits with higher health, and still hit hard with maxed special attack (not 100% on the defense EVs). Ice Beam and Thunderbolt together offer wonderful coverage; Thunderbolt especially assists against a general Water-type and rain team weakness I've noticed. Ice Beam offers better coverage against Ground, Flying, and Grass-types. Shadow Ball is used to cover Ghost-types if it's not paired with Mimikyu, and Trick Room is used for obvious reasons.

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 244 Def / 236 Atk / 20 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Curse
- Trick Room

Mimikyu is used as an alternate Trick Room setter, and it can make good use of it with it's Adamant nature (as opposed to a standard Jolly nature). A Red Card was previously used for additional disruption, but it's been changed to a Fairium Z to be more threatening when I don't need Oceanic Operetta from Primarina. Mimikyu is used to generally disrupt the opponent and create openings for switches into Steelix and others. EVs are to make use of the Adamant nature in and out of TR. I previously used a more offensive set, as Disguise helped it to place Trick Room and still be an offensive threat of sorts, but the bulky set was suggested with some other changes. This helps it to last longer, have more opportunity to get up Curse and offer free switches to Trick Room abusers. Shadow Sneak is used as a general priority STAB, but it can be replaced with Shadow Claw. Play Rough is a strong, secondary STAB that hits more of what Ghost doesn't. Trick Room for obvious reasons. Curse is used to give an opportunity for a free switch; if used at low enough health, Mimikyu will KO itself and bring in a replacement at the end of the turn, while also Curse-ing the opponent's Pokémon. This takes pressure off my offensive members since it'll take substantial chunks of health off the opponent for my attackers.
Mimikyu @ Red Card
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Curse
- Trick Room​

Primarina @ Primarium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sparkling Aria
- Moonblast
- Aqua Jet
- Encore

The final member; Primarina was selected for additional team coverage, as a strong Z-move user, and as another Special-oriented Pokémon that can use Trick Room well. Modest is used to give it maximum special attack with the given EVs, and max HP EVs are to increase bulk. It’s used over Sassy so it’s not overly dependant on Trick Room being up to do what it does. Primarium Z is used with Sparkling Aria to have access to Oceanic Operetta; a super-powered Water-type move that punches holes in all sorts of things. Sparkling Aria itself is used as an option that is similarly powerful to Scald and Surf, but also get around Substitute. Moonblast is used as a secondary STAB, and Aqua Jet is to pick off weakened threats in and out of TR. Encore is currently used as the fourth move since it has good synergy with TR; Primarina will actually be able to outspeed things and connect with Encore. Otherwise it’s not super useful, except against very slow foes. I’ve been considering Perish Song for alternate utility, and also Psychic for additional coverage, so this slot is pretty flexible.

I wanted to include a more in-depth threat list, but since I don’t have much field experience with the team yet it’s hard to come up with much. Through my friendly matches, I’ve found that Mega Charizard Y is a huge threat in general. I don’t have a ton of answer to it. Primarina can stand up to it in an out of TR, but it can’t come in on a Fire Blast and Solar Beam combo. It would have to come in off of a free switch or KO for a revenge opportunity. Mega Steelix can do the same, but only if Trick Room is up and with Rock coverage.

And that’s it! Thanks for taking the time to look through this and rate it. As I test more and more I'll try and add replays and battle videos here. I appreciate all the help!
Change Log:
EDIT: minor touch-up to the intro.
EDIT 7/22/17: Made significant changes to Breloom, Mimikyu, and Porygon2. Changed movesets and descriptions, and added past info to hide-tags for reference.
EDIT 7/23/17: Added some BSS video codes.

*These are still fairly low-ladder
4V4W-WWWW-WWW8-XKK8 - A close match against a Mega Kangaskhan, Tapu Lele, and Garchomp
B69G-WWWW-WWW8-XKYT - This one boiled down to a Blaziken's second Protect failing on the last turn of Trick Room for Mega Steelix to win.
E2HG-WWWW-WWW8-XKLK - A loss; made a nasty misclick against the opponent's Mimikyu at the end, but it prolly would not have mattered since I forgot about Stealth Rock being up (it KO'd Porygon2 as it came back in at the end).
More low-ladder stuff...
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-609220341
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-609222618
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-609223684 (I love Steelix's physical bulk)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-610133672
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-610140928 (close match that I lost due to Toxic damage)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-613260736 (close and fun match. Turn 4 was kind of silly, too; I predicted a switch from Celesteela into Garchomp and clicked Ice Beam for P2. Celesteela stayed in, got frozen, thawed out right away, and I found out that they predicted a switch too when it used Leech Seed)
Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Curse

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
EVs: 244 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Curse
- Trick Room

Primarina @ Primarium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sparkling Aria
- Moonblast
- Aqua Jet
- Encore

Last edited:
Hi there, nice team dude

At first glance the whole thing looks kind of weak to Mega Gyarados, to be fair. Primarina is ok vs it, but both of your mega can't really OHKO it and if Gyara manages to get a DD you might be in a dangerous situation.

My advice is to switch Breloom to a regular Focus Sash set, being able to revenge kill a weakned gyarados or just to face it in a 1vs1 situation.
@ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

Also also add these little changes:
switch Shadow Ball / Tri Attack on P2 with Thunderbolt, and turn Mimikyu into a bulky set:
@ Fairium Z
Adamant Nature
- Trick Room
- Play Rough
- Curse
- Shadow Sneak

This set will always survive to a +1 Waterfall, while having a 56.3% chance to OHKO to OHKO Mega Gyarados in return with a -1 Z Play Rough (always ohkoing if the attack isn't lowered).

You might also consider Thunder Punch on Mega CharX, but with these changes the team should be ok vs Gyarados.

Last edited:
Hi there, nice team dude

At first glance the whole thing looks kind of weak to Mega Gyarados, to be fair. Primarina is ok vs it, but both of your mega can't really OHKO it and if Gyara manages to get a DD you might be in a dangerous situation.

My advice is to switch Breloom to a regular Focus Sash set, being able to revenge kill a weakned gyarados or just to face it in a 1vs1 situation.
@ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

Also also add these little changes:
switch Shadow Ball / Tri Attack on P2 with Thunderbolt, and turn Mimikyu into a bulky set:
@ Fairium Z
Adamant Nature
- Trick Room
- Play Rough
- Curse
- Shadow Sneak

This set will always survive to a +1 Waterfall, while having a 56.3% chance to OHKO to OHKO Mega Gyarados in return with a -1 Z Play Rough (always ohkoing if the attack isn't lowered).

You might also consider Thunder Punch on Mega CharX, but with these changes the team should be ok vs Gyarados.
Thanks a ton, I'll give those changes a try and test things out.

EDIT: after testing the Breloom change on Showdown a bit, I've found myself actually selecting it more often. I'll make that one a permanent change with Thunderbolt over Tri Attack on Porygon2. I didn't realize Z-Curse was gave +1 attack right away, so that'll take some more testing, but I like the EV suggestion. Thanks again!

EDIT 2: apparently I read Fairium as Ghostium. I'll make that change instead, haha!

Last edited:
I suggest Heavy Slam on Steelix, it hits with far more reliability, with it's astounding 120 base power. However, with the -speed factor on curse, perhaps Gyro Ball would be better. Also, since Stall generally destroys Trick Room, you may want to add Mega Mawile in place for Steelix. It can set up faster and hit harder, still able to use Fire Fang and have a powerful steel stab like Steelix. I would make this change, as Mawile deals with stall quite well.

I suggest Heavy Slam on Steelix, it hits with far more reliability, with it's astounding 120 base power. However, with the -speed factor on curse, perhaps Gyro Ball would be better. Also, since Stall generally destroys Trick Room, you may want to add Mega Mawile in place for Steelix. It can set up faster and hit harder, still able to use Fire Fang and have a powerful steel stab like Steelix. I would make this change, as Mawile deals with stall quite well.
Thanks for the rate. :)

Honestly though, if there's any team member I won't budge on for replacing its Steelix. I built the team for it. I know it's outclassed in ways by Pokémon like Mega Mawile on the offensive side, but there are things it can do that Mawile can't. Mawile doesn't have the same bulk, so Steelix can actually eat a hit against even many super effective hits and then KO back.

Provided the Charizard hasn't set up a DD yet:
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix-Mega: 128-152 (70.3 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Earthquake KO's this Charizard in return even without boosts)
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 222-264 (141.4 - 168.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (even if Swords Dance is used when this Charizard switches in, Sucker Punch isn't a guaranteed KO)

Now, those calcs are kind of a worst case scenario deal: Trick Room isn't active. If it was, it's a moot point for both, but if it's not up for some reason, Steelix will perform better than Mawile against this would be check.

Also, Gyro Ball gets more mileage than Heavy Slam. After one Curse, Gyro Ball will either hit harder or get the KO where Heavy Slam cannot in most cases. It'll guarantee the KO or 2HKO on stuff like Landorus-Therian, Mega Salamence, and offensive Garchomp.

I'm on mobile, so I might add to this post later.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you should try Amoongus over Breloom since it does basically the same thing but is a better water check coz of things like fini and primarina existing, and can make use of trick room as well.

Amoongus @ Black Sludge / Rocky Helmet / health berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis / Foul Play

pretty standard build, you can play around with the evs/nature/moves to do a whole bunch of different stuff

apart from that I'm not sure what else I can offer to help. it looks like you'd kinda struggle against stall teams though, how do you get around them usually?

Last edited:
I think you should try Amoongus over Breloom since it does basically the same thing but is a better water check coz of things like fini and primarina existing, and can make use of trick room as well.

Amoongus @ Black Sludge / Rocky Helmet / health berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
- Recover / Foul Play

pretty standard build, you can play around with the evs/nature/moves to do a whole bunch of different stuff

apart from that I'm not sure what else I can offer to help. it looks like you'd kinda struggle against stall teams though, how do you get around them usually?
Ooo, I like that idea. Thanks! I'll play around with it and see what I can do with it (sadly it doesn't learn Recover, though. Maybe Synthesis? :p )

As for the stall matchup, I really haven't much play against one on cart or Showdown yet. Currently sitting with lack of internet at home (new apartment; just haven't set it up yet) so it's difficult to get that experience at present. I'll keep pushing, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)