Online Competition Mega Melee

The next Competition was announced a little earlier. It is going to be a Single Battle format with only Pokemon with access to Mega Evolution being allowed into this Competition.

tl;dr:
  • Standard Battle Spot Clauses (Species and Item) all apply here.
  • THIS IS A 1V1 FORMAT
  • Mega Stones, Z-Crystals, and Focus Sash are allowed.
  • Transferred Pokemon from older games are allowed. (important for move tutors)
  • Banned Pokemon: Mewtwo, Diancie, Rayquaza, and anything that doesn't have a Mega Evolution.
  • Prize is 50 BP.
  • Competition runs from September 22 to September 24.

Pretty much everyone here knows which Pokemon are allowed to Mega Evolve, but just in case:
https://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/megaevolutions.shtml

Information from Pokemon GL:
https://3ds-sp.pokemon-gl.com/information/683e22aa-5ebc-4a34-ae73-7472bc0938c9

Will update this later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may use my 199 Garchomp again as it looks like it could survive an attack from it's Mega form if it's Jolly, and I can't see M-Garchomps being used much.
252 Atk Garchomp-Mega Dragon Claw vs. 124 HP / 88 Def Garchomp: 162-192 (81.4 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

44 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 158-188 (85.8 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

I can see Garchomp in general getting a ton of usage in this format, being able to run a lot of sets while also having a ton of coverage options. Sash, SD, (Mixed) Life Orb, Scarf, Z move. Its mega option seems like it'd probably be the weakest out of its actual options imo unless it's going up against Tyranitar or something.

I could see Mega Altaria being good in this metagame, since it can check lot of very popular mega evolutions, Blaziken, Salamence, Garchomp, and Charizard to name a few.

Just looking at what we have, I made a list of what might be the top-faring or most common Megas we will probabaly see. Would fare better for one of the more experienced members on here to make a list, but this is only my opinion.

: Mega Gengar
: Mega Salamence

: Mega Metagross

: Mega Charizard X and Y

: Mega Mawile

Funbro's Revenge (Slowbro) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Own Tempo -> Shell Armor
Sassy Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Amnesia
- Rest
- Withdraw
- Light Screen (for special attackers) / Growl (for physical attackers) / Mud-Slap (for Taunt users)

Not So Huge Power Now (Mawile) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Brave Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Metal Burst
- Taunt
- Power-Up Punch
- Focus Punch

Even though Mawile's HP isn't so great, full investment still gets it to 157, meaning a Metal Burst that catches the Sash will deal back 234. Meanwhile, the highest HP you can legally have in this comp is Garchomp's 215, so that turns out to be enough to clean the field, except for fellow Sash users. Focus Punch for other Metal Burst users, so you can underprioritize them and not take the bait.

Here are the rules for Super Smash Bros Mega Melee : https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/4119/regulation/?status=0 (Junior) and https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/4120/regulation/?status=0 (Master). I just look at for the miniatures.
43 allowed Pokémon allowed seem decent. But some Megas are completely garbage, some mons only work with their Mega form, and a few work outside. The threatlist will drop quickly. Charizard could create mindgame with its two Mega versions.
You could always run two mega evolutions.

You could always run two mega evolutions.
I agree. You could also run a full team of Megas and pick the more efficient. The 1vs1 format fits well these rules.
I fear that, considering the short list of mons, the result of a match will be more determined on your pick than your teambuilding (I mean more than standard 1vs1) and the comp will finish as a series of "flip a coin".

I agree. You could also run a full team of Megas and pick the more efficient. The 1vs1 format fits well these rules.
I fear that, considering the short list of mons, the result of a match will be more determined on your pick than your teambuilding (I mean more than standard 1vs1) and the comp will finish as a series of "flip a coin".
Yeah, I understand that. That's why I never like I v I on Battlespot, since its very luck based.

Can we use pokemon bred in ORAS? I've never done any of this type of competitions... And I have some megas on ORAS that I would like to use... :)

I am absolutely using my special cotton guard Mega Altaria from 1v1 here. Once optimize the EVs from lv100 to lv50, I'll post the set.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Cotton Guard
- Hidden Power Rock
- Hyper Voice
- Roost

Oh boy, Cotton Guard Mega Altaria. It deals with nearly all physical attackers in the metagame, barring Aggron and Mega Mawile. I decided to go for special moves to catch things like Mega Salamence and Mega Gyarados off guard. Hyper Voice goes through Substitute, bopping things like Mega Lopunny and Mega Lucario. Hidden Power Rock is good vs Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir (lmao) and decent against Mega Scizor. Roost is standard recovery. Like, the bulk on this thing is absurd. Watch:

252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Giga Impact vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Mega Altaria: 135-160 (74.1 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 116 SpD Mega Altaria: 76-90 (41.7 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Still struggles vs. Fairies and Steels, but nothing that teammates such as Mega Charizard can't deal with.

Edit: Changed the EVs to make modest Mega Charizard Y's Hidden Power Ice. Edited the calcs to compensate. Also added Hidden Power Rock for reasons given above.

Last edited:
The first thing that popped in my mind was a Groundium Z Garchomp set, but upon thinking it twice... it loses to Lucario, Metagross and Salamence, which is a shame.

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey! 1v1 player here. If you wish to get started, here are sample sets that are used in the Smogon 1v1 metagame that might help you.

http://pokepast.es/edbb962f398fa737

e: Also resources if you wish to know which Pokemon are the most viable http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/1v1-resources.3592842/

e2: I think Will-o-Wisp Bulky Zard X might be strong in this metagame as it can live against some threats such as Mega Lopunny, Aggron, Mawile, plus it can break the sash if a Pokemon is holding it. Z-Rock Aggron might also be a good set.

Last edited:
Hey! 1v1 player here. If you wish to get started, here are sample sets that are used in the Smogon 1v1 metagame that might help you, note that Focus Sash is banned on Smogon 1v1 that's why we have no Sash in this set list.

http://pokepast.es/edbb962f398fa737

e: Also resources if you wish to know which Pokemon are the most viable http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/1v1-resources.3592842/

e2: Broken Mimikyu set that isn't present in the pokepaste.

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z / Ghostium-Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough / Thunder Wave
- Curse
- Substitute
- Protect

One of the best Mimikyu's set at this moment, you just Curse and easily win against slower Pokemon in the metagame due to the combination of Sub+Protect plus you are guaranteed to set it up thanks to Disguise. Fairium-Z Play Rough can be used to defeat Pokemon that loses to Fairy STAB without stalling such as faster dragons. Meanwhile Ghostium-Z Curse restores Mimikyu to full health assuring longevity if ever hit by a move. Thunder Wave isn't a bad move to fish for wins when the opponent is stronger, just fish for paras and Curse then you win.
From the first post:
The next Competition was announced a little earlier. It is going to be a Single Battle format with only Pokemon with access to Mega Evolution being allowed into this Competition.

Mimikyu isn't the best in a meta where it's banned

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
From the first post:

Mimikyu isn't the best in a meta where it's banned
oo I didn't read that part. Edited.

Blastoise @ Blastoisinte
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Hydro Cannon
- Ice Beam / Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse / Aura Sphere

Fake out breaks sash / sturdy, then Hydro Cannon kills almost everything provided it doesn't miss or hit a sub. The last slots are pretty customizable, and Blastoise in general has a lot of interesting options like Mirror Coat, Yawn, Icy Wind, Aqua Jet, Water Pulse, Rock Tomb, and Iron Defense.

Glalie @ Leftovers
Ability: Moody
EVs: 172 HP / 84 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Sheer Cold
- Frost Breath / Freeze-Dry

Classic Glalie can cheese its way through anything.

DEG

The night belongs to you
Shoutout lmni 1v1
Had a talk with other 1v1 lads and we covered some Pokemon that might be top threats.

Available Pokemon: Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Alakazam, Gengar, Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Ampharos, Scizor, Heracross, Houndoom, Tyranitar, Blaziken, Gardevoir, Mawile, Aggron, Medicham, Manectric, Banette, Absol, Garchomp, Lucario, Abomasnow, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Slowbro, Steelix, Sceptile, Swampert, Sableye, Sharpedo, Camerupt, Glalie, Salamence, Metagross, Latios, Latias, Lopunny, Gallade, Audino, Altaria.

Code:
Niche Pokemon / Meh.
Better than niche, but still not that good.
OKAY! Pokemon
Great Pokemon

Pokemon whose regular form is better than Mega: Alakazam, Garchomp, Glalie, Latios, Latias.
Pokemon that can use both regular form and Mega: Scizor, Blaziken, Mawile, Aggron, Steelix, Sableye, Tyranitar, Blastoise.
Pokemon that could be good with Focus Sash: Metal Burst Mawile, Metal Burst Sableye, Counter Alakazam, Reversal Blaziken.

*Since this is an in-game competition, idk how hard it is to breed the moves on the Pokemon or so, I'll just give some good moves and sets without knowing if they are easily obtainable in-game or no.

**Note that in Smogon 1v1, bulky offense is the best way to go. So if you can EV your Pokemon in-game to be bulky I would advise to always use the bulky offensive set which can be found in the pokepaste I linked my previous post.

S Rank:

Mega Salamence should be easily a versatile threat in the metagame. With its natural bulk and Intimidate, it can find a lot of opportunity to set up with Dragon Dance and fire off Giga Impact or Return or even an Outrage and Earthquake. It can also opt for a special moveset with Hyper Beam, Fire Blast, Toxic and Draco Meteor. Salemence can also either be bulky enough to survive hit and retaliate back or just be a fast offensive user. Mega Salamence will suffer in the hands of Focus Sash users to adding Roost with some bulk shouldn't be a bad option. This Pokemon can defeat Blaziken, Heracross, Charizard, Venusaur, Pinsir and many other niche Pokemon

Mega Metagross has a great typing Combo in Steel/Psychic allowing it to check a lot of threats in the metagame. It is also blessed with a priority STAB move in Bullet Punch to pick off weakened Pokemon or Focus Sash Pokemon. It's best run with Meteor Mash, Bullet Puch, Zen Headbutt / Ice Punch / Earthquake / Grass Knot. This set allows it to beat Mega Mawile, Glalie, Altaria, Heracross, Venusaur, Gardevoir and other niche Pokemon. It can be also either EVd to live attacks and retaliate back or just straight up attack.

You may wonder, why Mega Venusaur? It has access to a key move in Charm and recovery moves. Mega Venusaur coupled with Charm, Leech Seed, Synthesis and Sludge Bomb checks most physically offensive Pokemon. Charm actually stops Mega Mawile, Charizard X, Gyarados, Blaziken, Altaria and more. Its typing let it check the abundant Fighting-type Pokemon in the metagame plus Grass-type is a great defensive typing to have when coupled with the ability Thick Fat leaving it only weak to Flying- and Psychic-type moves which aren't that abundant.

Speaking of defensive Pokemon Mega Slowbro should also easily be a top threat in the metagame. Mega Slowbro should run Amnesia, Iron Defense/Withdraw, Scald / Toxic, Slack Off / Rest allowing it to stall out a lot of Pokemon thanks to its sheer bulk and not so bad special attack. It can either Scald damage them or just Toxic-Stall them. It can defeat Blaziken, Mega Metagross, Mega Mence (Toxic, Non-Mixed), Aggron, Steelix, Charizard X, Garchomp, Lucario and more.

A+ Rank

With the unpredictable it offers with two mega evolutions Charizard is definitely a top threat in the metagame. Charizard X has a great defensive and offensive typing in Dragon/Fire and a great movepool. Will-o-Wisp+DD+Outrage+Flare Blitz does a lot to the metagame, it can defeat Sash users with WoW and dish out great damage output with DD+STAB.

Unpredictability with Blast Burn damage in Sun can be dangerous. Sash though.

/

Mega Mawile's typing gives it an advantage in the metagame, Fairy and Steel hit lot of Pokemon in the metagame and resist also a bunch. Mega Mawile can run 3 Attacks or 2 Attacks SD and throw in Metal Burst in the last slot as it can bulk a lot of attacks and dish back damage. Or it can run already mentioned Regular Focus Sash Metal Burst set though it can be played around easier.

Speaking of Focus Sash. Mega Heracross can do a great job in breaking it. It has access to a lot of multi-hit moves in tandem with its ability Skill Link and its monstrous attack. Plus, using Multi-hits move let it play around Metal Burst / Counter sets. It should also run bulk and non-attack EVs since its base 185 Attack is
already a lot.

A Rank
/

Both Pokemon play a completely different role. Mega Aggron can be run with Heavy Slam, Toxic and Metal Burst to sponge attacks and retaliate back with Metal Burst, plus it can utilize its regular form Sturdy to tank hits it can't tank normally and click Metal Burst. If you don't want to use Mega Aggron, Regular aggron with Z-Head Smash can dish out a lot of damage and check the abundant Flying-type Pokemon in the metagame notably Charizard and Salemence.

Mega Lopunny combo in Fighting/Normal which is resisted by no Pokemon can come handy in this metagame. Fake Out + HJK + Substitute + Flail can grab some wins against slower threats that aren't much bulky.

Can play a similar role as Mega Lopunny with Fake Out breaking Sashes and Study + Strong Attacking moves.

Can check some Pokemon in the metagame with its typing and its movepool. DD+Outrage+Waterfall+Crunch can deal out a lot of damage. Mega Gyarados also has Intimidate+Bulk to boost its Attack stat.

Fake Out + Hydro Cannon + Ice Beam + Aura Sphere checks Focus Sash users and is a great specially offensive Pokemon which aren't that common in the metagame. It can also check Steel-type Pokemon like Aggron, Mawile or Dragon-type Pokemon like Garchomp and Mega Salamence.

This fluffy Dragon has the bulk and typing to set up against some Pokemon in the metagame. I believe people should run Mono Attacking Mega Altaria with Dragon Dance, Cotton Guard, Roost and Return allowing it to tank and dish out damage.

Metal Burst / Counter users.

Alakazam's niche in the metagame is its Focus Sash + Counter set allowing it to beat most physical Pokemon as no matter how much they will boost they will get Countered, plus Magic Guard allows it to easily absorb status and not be damaged by them.

Sableye @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
- Metal Burst
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Foul Play / Recover

This Sableye set can also counter offensive Pokemon not only on the physical side, but on the special side also due to Metal Burst. At the highest roll it can dish out 454 damage.

Z-Move users.

Going for the Mega Pokemon is a smart choice as they are generally better but there's some Pokemon that can work better with Z-moves.

Garchomp is a Pokemon that shouldn't run its mega evolutions as it is mediocre over its standard form. Garchomp can utilize a SD+Sub+EQ+Outrage set coupled with either Dragonium-Z or Groundium-Z allowing it to deal devastating damage OHKOing offensive Pokemon that are slower and with SD it can go through defensive Pokemon. Substitute+EQ allows it to bypass Metal Burst and Counter as it will hit the Substitute and not Garchomp

Flyinium-Z Gyarados with Dragon Dance can be fun and allows it to deal better with Fighting-type Pokemon.

Groundium-Z

Rockium-Z

Dragonium-Z or Psychium-Z

Great Memes:

Focus Sash, Substitute+Leech Seed+Protect+Grass Whistle Sceptile might be able to Leech Seed stall some Pokemon due to its high speed.

MOODY + OHKO MOVE

tbh I got lazy in the end x_x might drop more sets. If there's an error or need more help TAG/VM.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fly
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Endure

Perish song is broken in the 1v1 metagame and 3 mega pokemon learn this. Absol is too frail, Gengars too fast which leaves Altaria. Perish song > Protect > Fly > Protect . You basically just win if you face anything faster that can't 2hko the set. Item and bulk ev's all are up for debate and need testing first.

Since it's a pretty small field of eligibility, here's a rudimentary list of speed tiers:

300 - Scarf Aerodactyl (252+)
267 - Scarf Latios (252+)
258 - +1 M-Sharpedo (252+)
253 - Scarf Garchomp (252+)
250 - Scarf or +1 Charizard, +1 M-Blaziken (252+)
222 - M-Aerodactyl, M-Alakazam (252+)
219 - Scarf or +1 Gyarados (252+)
217 - Scarf Gardevoir/Gallade/Medicham, +1 Glalie/Blaziken (252+)
216 - M-Sceptile, M-Beedrill (252+)
214 - Scarf Blastoise (252+)
205 - M-Lopunny, M-Manectric (252+)
202 - M-Aerodactyl, M-Alakazam (252); +1 M-Tyranitar (252+)
200 - Aerodactyl, M-Gengar (252+)
197 - M-Sceptile, M-Beedrill (252)
190 - M-Pidgeot (252+)
189 - Alakazam, M-Salamence (252+)
183 - M-Houndoom, M-Absol (252+)
180 - M-Lucario (252+)
178 - Latias, Latios, M-Metagross, M-Gallade (252+)
172 - M-Sharpedo, M-Pinsir (252+)
169 - Garchomp (252+)
167 - Charizard, M-Kangaskhan, M-Blaziken, M-Gardevoir, M-Medicham, M-Glalie (252+)
162 - Latias, Latios, M-Metagross, M-Gallade (252)
154 - Garchomp (252)
152 - Charizard, M-Kangaskhan, M-Blaziken, M-Gardevoir, M-Medicham, M-Glalie (252)
146 - Gyarados (252+)
135 - M-Tyranitar (252+)
133 - Gyarados (252)
132 - Venusaur, Gardevoir, Gallade, Glalie (252)
130 - M-Metagross (0)
127 - M-Scizor, M-Heracross, M-Banette (252)
123 - M-Tyranitar (252)
120 - M-Kangaskhan, M-Medicham (0)
113 - Tyranitar (252)
103 - Gengar (min)
100 - Venusaur, Gardevoir, Gallade, Glalie (0)
98 - Blastoise (0)
95 - M-Scizor, M-Heracross (0)
94 - Charizard (min)
91 - M-Tyranitar (0)
90 - Metagross (0)
85 - Scizor (0)
81 - Tyranitar (0)
80 - Abomasnow (0)
76 - Altaria (min)
72 - Absol (min)
70 - Aggron, Mawile, Audino (0)
65 - M-Ampharos (0)
59 - Tyranitar (min)
58 - Abomasnow (min)
50 - Steelix, Slowbro (0)
49 - Aggron, Mawile, Sableye (min)
31 - Steelix, Slowbro, M-Abomasnow (min)
22 - M-Sableye, M-Camerupt (min)

Last edited:
Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fly
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Endure

Perish song is broken in the 1v1 metagame and 3 mega pokemon learn this. Absol is too frail, Gengars too fast which leaves Altaria. Perish song > Protect > Fly > Protect . You basically just win if you face anything faster that can't 2hko the set. Item and bulk ev's all are up for debate and need testing first.
This seems pretty terrifying, not sure if I understand Perish Song mechanics exactly though. Does this mean that you faint first against any mon slower then you, and therefore lose?

DEG

The night belongs to you
This seems pretty terrifying, not sure if I understand Perish Song mechanics exactly though. Does this mean that you faint first against any mon slower then you, and therefore lose?
The faster Pokemon faints first therefore loses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)