Gen 6 Mega Heracross Bulky Offence - Revenge Of The Gen 6 Sith

F22.png

Introduction

I decided to play some Gen 6 OU while I was thinking about changes I could make to my SV OU team, and immediately went back to my tried and tested Mega Heracross team that I had great success with during it's original run to top 10 on the ladder back in Gen 6, arguably being the best team I have ever constructed. While some changes have been made in the meta since then, the team still performs as well as it did back then, with minor changes.

Team Building Process
1695896806650.png

So we start off with Mega Heracross, a terrifying Wallbreaker with decent enough bulk to shrug off medium powered neutral hits. Most walls fall in two hits to this thing, while then cannot usually OHKO it in return.

1695896806650.png
1695897652893.png

Gyarados is yet another powerful physical sweeper than compliments Heracross nicely. Heracross can remove said checks to Gyarados such as Rotom-W and other such bulky waters as well as Ferrothorn, Gyarados' immortal enemy. While Gyarados threatens the bulky ground types such as Landorus-T and Gliscor that make Mega Heracross' life difficult.

1695905493303.png
1695905514013.png
1695905655295.png

Bisharp rounds off the trio of powerful physical sweepers. Bisharp deals with fast threats such as Latios and Latias, whilst also taking on the bulky fairies such as Clefable that Heracross can struggle with. The three of them together prove to be an effective offensive core, denting everything enough that one of them can sweep at anytime.

1695905977880.png
1695905987266.png
1695905994661.png
1695906064908.png

Heatran is such a great supporter of Heracross. From providing hazards to facilitate easier sweeps to providing a great check to Talonflame. Mega Heracross likewise deals effectively with bulky waters and tanks the Fighting and Ground attacks that Heatran hates.

1695905977880.png
1695905987266.png
1695905994661.png
1695906064908.png
1695906330922.png

Originally I had Cresselia in Thundurus' slot back in Gen 6 , due to it's ability to tank numerous hits on both sides of the spectrum to provide speed control with Thunder Wave. However as the meta has shifted a lot since then, I opted for Thundurus as it provides not only more reliable means of threatening Gliscor, Skarmory and Landorus-T, Prankster Thunder Wave can save games against faster pokemon which Cresselia couldn't if it was sufficiently weakened. Having a fast special sweeping option was also appreciated.

1695905977880.png
1695905987266.png
1695905994661.png
1695906064908.png
1695906330922.png
1695906698794.png

Last but not least is Landorus-T. Provides an additional secondary check to Talonflame and also acts as a decent revenge killer for the team.

The Team In Detail

1695907417945.png

Heracross (SOLO)@Heracronite
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Moxie
EV's: 20HP/252 Atk/236 Speed
Moves:
Close Combat
Pin Missile
Rock Blast
Bullet Seed

One of the best wallbreaker in Gen 6, being able to combat many of the typical defensive cores on its own, Mega Heracross strikes fear into many powerful defensive pokemon's hearts. Close Combat is a deadly STAB move, OHKO'ing physically defensive Ferrothorn without boosts, which is an impressive feat. Pin Missile is a reliable option that OHKO's Tyranitar and Bisharp without defensive stat drops, while also providing 2HKO's on defensive Mega Venasaur, Amoongus and also a sacrificial switching in Ferrothorn that plans on using it's Iron Barb and potentially Rocky Helmet damage to put Heracross in range of a KO from another pokemon. Rock Blast is amazing, destroying Charizard, Talonflame, Dragonite, Pinsir and Zapdos'. A lot of people believe Bullet Seed to be somewhat of an inferior option to Sub, but being able to facilitate the OHKO on Azumarill, Swampert and Quagsire, while reliably 2HKO'ing Suicune, physically defensive Hippowdon is really solid. Also having the OHKO option against things like Rotom-W after small chip damage is something that often cannot be ignored if in 1v1 situations. The given spread allows you to outspeed Jolly max speed T-Tar, defensive Zapdos and 32 Speed base 100's such as Jirachi. Max attack allows as much chance as possible for Mega Heracross to OHKO the likes of Physically defensive Zapdos and Rotom-W (31.3% for Zapdos and 43.8-53.8% on Rotom-W depending on whether it's 248 Def/204 Def that outruns defensive Landorus-T). Also as Substitute is kind of the expected move, clever Rotom-W players would simply attack to break the newly generated sub instead of Will-O-Wisping, which then typically forces Mega Heracross out.

1695909759051.png

Gyarados (GARRADOR)@Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Intimidate
EV's: 220HP/88 Atk/4 Def/196 Speed
Moves:
Waterfall
Bounce
Dragon Dance
Substitute

I know what you're all thinking. This is the recommend Smogon EV's for Bulky Gyara Sub DD, but reversed. And you'd be correct. The additional bulk allows Gyarados easier setup against would be checks after substitute. The given HP EV's allow Gyarados' sub to always survive 2 Scalds from Slowbro and also have a roughly 50% chance of the sub not breaking from Tangrowth's uninvested Giga Drain. Gyarados's sub also has a reasonable chance of surviving Manaphy Ice Beam and Energy Balls, allowing additional opportunities to setup. Jolly 196 speed ensures that Mega Lopunny is always outsped at +1. Waterfall and Bounce offer almost unresisted coverage, while Dragon Dance provides Gyarados with the ability to become a terrifying sweeper, especially those unprepared against Substitute. Intimidate also compliments it's bulk when switching into physical attackers very nicely.

1695911741661.png

Bisharp (SHARPIE)@Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EV's: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Speed
Moves:
Knock Off
Sucker Punch
Swords Dance
Iron Head

Completing the physical sweeping trio is Bisharp. Bisharp is able to punish Intimidate users and Defog attempts to get rid of Stealth Rock due to it's ability Defiant, gaining a 2 stage attack boost. For example, Choice Scarf Landorus-T has a little over a coin flips chance of being OHKO'd by Sucker Punch due to the +1 boost Bisharp gains after Intimidate/Defiant, making for a certain OHKO after SR. Not only that, Bisharp is a reliable dispatcher of the likes of Latios and Latias due to priority Sucker Punch, as well as being able to able to eliminate Clefable and Slowbro for Heracross and Gyarados respectively. Swords Dance's puts pressure on Pokemon switching into it as Knock Off is such an amazing utility move, removing key items that could change the outcome of the game. Iron Head eliminates Fairy types as well as the likes of Tyranitar.

1695914356615.png

Heatran (T-90)@Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: 248HP/16 Atk/244 Sp Def
Moves:
Lava Plume
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge
Roar

Specially defensive Heatran is still a thing, even if most builds have switched to faster utility/stallbreaker builds. This Heatran is designed to eliminate Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame alike. Lava Plume is generic STAB that can cripple many physical attackers with Burn. Stealth Rock provides hazards which allow Mega Heracross to score guaranteed OHKO's on the likes of Rotom-W and Defensive Zapdos. Stone Edge destroys offensive Talonflame, while still offering a 31.3% OHKO chance on Bulky variations with 16 Atk EV's, as well as almost certainly OHKO'ing Mega Charizard Y (93.8%). Roar is a great utility move to phaze out setup sweepers as well as racking up Stealth Rock damage, further degrading the opponents capacity to take hits.

1695915451023.png

Thundurus(BLITZKRIEG)@Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Prankster
IV's: 0 Atk
EV's: 252 Sp Atk/4 Sp Def/252 Speed
Moves:
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
HP Ice
Focus Blast

As I stated in the team building process, Thundurus-I was originally Cresselia. And while Cresselia still did an amazing job of being able to tank hits to spread paralysis to aid Mega Heracross, given the prevalence of the likes of Tyranitar, Scizor, Bisharp, Tornadus-T, Gliscor and Landorus-T and Volt-Turn cores with Rotom-W and Lando-T, I needed something less passive and Thundurus was the answer. Prankster Thunder wave is amazingly good as it can nail the likes of Tornadus-T before it can U-Turn out, as well as cripple faster threats it cannot one shot itself, clearing the path for another attacker to break through. HP Ice removes Gliscor and Landorus-T, as well as bulky Garchomp's that can make Mera Heracross' attempt to wallbreaker harder. Thunderbolt offers consistent powerful STAB and Focus Blast to deal heavy damage to the likes of Tyranitar, Heatran, Kyurem-B.

1695916641674.png

Landorus-T(CALRISSIAN)@Choice Scarf
EV's: 24 HP/252Atk/232 Speed
Moves:
Earthquake
Explosion
Stone Edge
U-Turn

So popular it has it's own music video, it's no surprise Landorus-T makes waves in any meta it's in. Choice Scarf Landorus is an excellent revenge killer due to it's high attack and decent speed tier. 252 Attack maximises Lando-T's attacking power, 232 Speed EV's outspeeds Choice Scarf Excadrill and the likes of Mega Alakazam, which I personally think is sufficient as the only reasonable threat that isn't something that will naturally outspeed Lando-T with a Scarf of it's own is another 252 Speed Scarf Explosion Lando-T, and given Knock Off and Superpower are the two more common attacks, the extra speed EV's do not worry me that much, so the remainder goes into HP for a tiny amount of additional bulk. Earthquake and Stone Edge revenge kill a lot of common offensive pokemon. U-Turn to gain momentum when Landorus-T either makes the opponent switch, or when Lando cannot sufficiently threaten the opponents current pokemon. I like Explosion better than Knock Off or Superpower due to Bisharp already having Knock Off capability with STAB, and Superpower reducing Lando's attack and defence, which can be compounded when other Intimidate users such as opposing Lando-T can switch in. Explosion could dent Mega Heracross' would be checks in opposing Lando-T and Gliscor sufficiently enough where it can come in and finish the job itself.

Last edited:

krv

I COULD BE BANNED!
what do you do against scarf keldeo? rely on thund to para then tank with gyara?

what do you do against scarf keldeo? rely on thund to para then tank with gyara?
That is the Plan A, either tank with Gyra and or Prankster T-Wave. However Mega Hera is guaranteed to tank a hit from Hydro Pump 68% and up without a crit so KO's via Bullet Seed, and does around 70-80% burnt if they go for Scald instead. The opponent needs to specifically keep the Keldeo healthy, which given that Heatran has access Roar and Stealth Rock that proves difficult. Heatran typically lures Keldeo in, and I will always inflict Lava Plume damage on the Keldeo as a fish for the item, if I no longer need it for Rocks or phazing. If I get KO'd without a crit, it's Specs or Life Orb, so pretty safe in the sense I have ways to outspeed it. If I survive, I suspect scarf unless I see lefties recovery. That way a healthy enough Mega Hera can take it out in a 1v1 situation baring crit. It's part of the reason why Mega Hera, Bisharp and Gyarados have such success together, any one of them can threaten to sweep the opponent at any moment, by losing Keldeo they lose one of their main checks to Bisharp. While Mega Heracross is the star, I have no qualms sacrificing it to enable another member to sweep.

If it becomes more prevalent (and I have seen fairly few scarf variants, the majority being Specs, LO or Sub CM) then reverting back to Cresselia is always something i'd look at, while more passive an option it was reasonably reliable.

Last edited:
View attachment 555980

Introduction

I decided to play some Gen 6 OU while I was thinking about changes I could make to my SV OU team, and immediately went back to my tried and tested Mega Heracross team that I had great success with during it's original run to top 10 on the ladder back in Gen 6, arguably being the best team I have ever constructed. While some changes have been made in the meta since then, the team still performs as well as it did back then, with minor changes.

Team Building Process
View attachment 555964

So we start off with Mega Heracross, a terrifying Wallbreaker with decent enough bulk to shrug off medium powered neutral hits. Most walls fall in two hits to this thing, while then cannot usually OHKO it in return.

View attachment 555964View attachment 555965

Gyarados is yet another powerful physical sweeper than compliments Heracross nicely. Heracross can remove said checks to Gyarados such as Rotom-W and other such bulky waters as well as Ferrothorn, Gyarados' immortal enemy. While Gyarados threatens the bulky ground types such as Landorus-T and Gliscor that make Mega Heracross' life difficult.

View attachment 555969 View attachment 555970View attachment 555971

Bisharp rounds off the trio of powerful physical sweepers. Bisharp deals with fast threats such as Latios and Latias, whilst also taking on the bulky fairies such as Clefable that Heracross can struggle with. The three of them together prove to be an effective offensive core, denting everything enough that one of them can sweep at anytime.

View attachment 555972View attachment 555973View attachment 555974View attachment 555975

Heatran is such a great supporter of Heracross. From providing hazards to facilitate easier sweeps to providing a great check to Talonflame. Mega Heracross likewise deals effectively with bulky waters and tanks the Fighting and Ground attacks that Heatran hates.

View attachment 555972View attachment 555973View attachment 555974View attachment 555975View attachment 555976

Originally I had Cresselia in Thundurus' slot back in Gen 6 , due to it's ability to tank numerous hits on both sides of the spectrum to provide speed control with Thunder Wave. However as the meta has shifted a lot since then, I opted for Thundurus as it provides not only more reliable means of threatening Gliscor, Skarmory and Landorus-T, Prankster Thunder Wave can save games against faster pokemon which Cresselia couldn't if it was sufficiently weakened. Having a fast special sweeping option was also appreciated.

View attachment 555972View attachment 555973View attachment 555974View attachment 555975View attachment 555976View attachment 555979

Last but not least is Landorus-T. Provides an additional secondary check to Talonflame and also acts as a decent revenge killer for the team.

The Team In Detail

View attachment 555981

Heracross (SOLO)@Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EV's: 20HP/252 Atk/236 Speed
Moves:
Close Combat
Pin Missile
Rock Blast
Bullet Seed

One of the best wallbreaker in Gen 6, being able to combat many of the typical defensive cores on its own, Mega Heracross strikes fear into many powerful defensive pokemon's hearts. Close Combat is a deadly STAB move, OHKO'ing physically defensive Ferrothorn without boosts, which is an impressive feat. Pin Missile is a reliable option that OHKO's Tyranitar and Bisharp without defensive stat drops, while also providing 2HKO's on defensive Mega Venasaur, Amoongus and also a sacrificial switching in Ferrothorn that plans on using it's Iron Barb and potentially Rocky Helmet damage to put Heracross in range of a KO from another pokemon. Rock Blast is amazing, destroying Charizard, Talonflame, Dragonite, Pinsir and Zapdos'. A lot of people believe Bullet Seed to be somewhat of an inferior option to Sub, but being able to facilitate the OHKO on Azumarill, Swampert and Quagsire, while reliably 2HKO'ing Suicune, physically defensive Hippowdon is really solid. Also having the OHKO option against things like Rotom-W after small chip damage is something that often cannot be ignored if in 1v1 situations. The given spread allows you to outspeed Jolly max speed T-Tar, defensive Zapdos and 32 Speed base 100's such as Jirachi. Max attack allows as much chance as possible for Mega Heracross to OHKO the likes of Physically defensive Zapdos and Rotom-W (31.3% for Zapdos and 43.8-53.8% on Rotom-W depending on whether it's 248 Def/204 Def that outruns defensive Landorus-T). Also as Substitute is kind of the expected move, clever Rotom-W players would simply attack to break the newly generated sub instead of Will-O-Wisping, which then typically forces Mega Heracross out.

View attachment 555986

Gyarados (GARRADOR)@Leftovers
EV's: 220HP/88 Atk/4 Def/196 Speed
Moves:
Waterfall
Bounce
Dragon Dance
Substitute

I know what you're all thinking. This is the recommend Smogon EV's for Bulky Gyara Sub DD, but reversed. And you'd be correct. The additional bulk allows Gyarados easier setup against would be checks after substitute. The given HP EV's allow Gyarados' sub to always survive 2 Scalds from Slowbro and also have a roughly 50% chance of the sub not breaking from Tangrowth's uninvested Giga Drain. Gyarados's sub also has a reasonable chance of surviving Manaphy Ice Beam and Energy Balls, allowing additional opportunities to setup. Jolly 196 speed ensures that Mega Lopunny is always outsped at +1. Waterfall and Bounce offer almost unresisted coverage, while Dragon Dance provides Gyarados with the ability to become a terrifying sweeper, especially those unprepared against Substitute. Intimidate also compliments it's bulk when switching into physical attackers very nicely.

View attachment 555989

Bisharp (SHARPIE)@Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EV's: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Speed
Moves:
Knock Off
Sucker Punch
Swords Dance
Iron Head

Completing the physical sweeping trio is Bisharp. Bisharp is able to punish Intimidate users and Defog attempts to get rid of Stealth Rock due to it's ability Defiant, gaining a 2 stage attack boost. For example, Choice Scarf Landorus-T has a little over a coin flips chance of being OHKO'd by Sucker Punch due to the +1 boost Bisharp gains after Intimidate/Defiant, making for a certain OHKO after SR. Not only that, Bisharp is a reliable dispatcher of the likes of Latios and Latias due to priority Sucker Punch, as well as being able to able to eliminate Clefable and Slowbro for Heracross and Gyarados respectively. Swords Dance's puts pressure on Pokemon switching into it as Knock Off is such an amazing utility move, removing key items that could change the outcome of the game. Iron Head eliminates Fairy types as well as the likes of Tyranitar.

View attachment 555996

Heatran (T-90)@Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: 248HP/16 Atk/244 Sp Def
Moves:
Lava Plume
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge
Roar

Specially defensive Heatran is still a thing, even if most builds have switched to faster utility/stallbreaker builds. This Heatran is designed to eliminate Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame alike. Lava Plume is generic STAB that can cripple many physical attackers with Burn. Stealth Rock provides hazards which allow Mega Heracross to score guaranteed OHKO's on the likes of Rotom-W and Defensive Zapdos. Stone Edge destroys offensive Talonflame, while still offering a 31.3% OHKO chance on Bulky variations with 16 Atk EV's, as well as almost certainly OHKO'ing Mega Charizard Y (93.8%). Roar is a great utility move to phaze out setup sweepers as well as racking up Stealth Rock damage, further degrading the opponents capacity to take hits.

View attachment 555998

Thundurus(BLITZKRIEG)@Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Prankster
IV's: 0 Atk
EV's: 252 Sp Atk/4 Sp Def/252 Speed
Moves:
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
HP Ice
Focus Blast

As I stated in the team building process, Thundurus-I was originally Cresselia. And while Cresselia still did an amazing job of being able to tank hits to spread paralysis to aid Mega Heracross, given the prevalence of the likes of Tyranitar, Scizor, Bisharp, Tornadus-T, Gliscor and Landorus-T and Volt-Turn cores with Rotom-W and Lando-T, I needed something less passive and Thundurus was the answer. Prankster Thunder wave is amazingly good as it can nail the likes of Tornadus-T before it can U-Turn out, as well as cripple faster threats it cannot one shot itself, clearing the path for another attacker to break through. HP Ice removes Gliscor and Landorus-T, as well as bulky Garchomp's that can make Mera Heracross' attempt to wallbreaker harder. Thunderbolt offers consistent powerful STAB and Focus Blast to deal heavy damage to the likes of Tyranitar, Heatran, Kyurem-B.

View attachment 556002

Landorus-T(CALRISSIAN)@Choice Scarf
EV's: 24 HP/252Atk/232 Speed
Moves:
Earthquake
Explosion
Stone Edge
U-Turn

So popular it has it's own music video, it's no surprise Landorus-T makes waves in any meta it's in. Choice Scarf Landorus is an excellent revenge killer due to it's high attack and decent speed tier. 252 Attack maximises Lando-T's attacking power, 232 Speed EV's outspeeds Choice Scarf Excadrill and the likes of Mega Alakazam, which I personally think is sufficient as the only reasonable threat that isn't something that will naturally outspeed Lando-T with a Scarf of it's own is another 252 Speed Scarf Explosion Lando-T, and given Knock Off and Superpower are the two more common attacks, the extra speed EV's do not worry me that much, so the remainder goes into HP for a tiny amount of additional bulk. Earthquake and Stone Edge revenge kill a lot of common offensive pokemon. U-Turn to gain momentum when Landorus-T either makes the opponent switch, or when Lando cannot sufficiently threaten the opponents current pokemon. I like Explosion better than Knock Off or Superpower due to Bisharp already having Knock Off capability with STAB, and Superpower reducing Lando's attack and defence, which can be compounded when other Intimidate users such as opposing Lando-T can switch in. Explosion could dent Mega Heracross' would be checks in opposing Lando-T and Gliscor sufficiently enough where it can come in and finish the job itself.
I like this a lot, i just dont enjoy the scarf keldeo mu or honestly any bulky water mu. I feel like putting another water killer like serperior over gyarados could be beneficial

I like this a lot, I just dont enjoy the scarf keldeo mu or honestly any bulky water mu. I feel like putting another water killer like serperior over gyarados could be beneficial
I can understand the concerns with the Scarf Keldeo MU, however it isn't too hard to mitigate with good play and as I already mentioned Cresselia is a Pokemon I have used previously to mitigate Keldeo easily if the Scarf MU becomes more relevant than I have seen. I do disagree with the Bulky Water MU in general being a concern, in the great majority of cases you are relying on Scald burns to work in your favour against Mega Heracross. Bullet Seed practically trashes a great deal of the bulky waters, and either Slowbro are dealt with by Bisharp/Hearacross respectively outside of burn, as well as Thundurus. Gyarados has very easy setup against more passive bulky water's such as Jellicent, Alomomola e.t.c. Also adding Serperior means having 3 fire weak Pokemon making switching into the likes of Lava Plume from Heatran is far harder to deal with, alongside having a far weaker Talonflame MU and having to ensure Heatran/Lando-T remain healthy, whereas Gyarados allows me to mitigate both Keldeo and Talonflame MU's as much as possible in a single pokemon, as well as providing a key component in taking out Gliscor/Lando-T in conjunction with Thundurus-I.

Some Calcs

Offensive

252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 36 HP / 220 Def Alomomola: 380-450 (79.1 - 93.7%) -- approx. 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Jellicent: 370-440 (91.8 - 109.1%) -- approx. 43.8% chance to OHKO, Guaranteed After SR
252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Rotom-Wash: 280-330 (92.1 - 108.5%) -- approx. 43.8% chance to OHKO, Guaranteed after SR
252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 260-310 (64.3 - 76.7%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 374-439 (109.6 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 80 SpD Slowbro: 408-484 (103.5 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 211-248 (50.9 - 59.9%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Seismitoad: 680-820 (164.2 - 198%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 330-390 (81.6 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Defensive
252 SpA Scarf Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 20 HP / 0 SpD Heracross-Mega: 172-204 (56.2 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Scarf Keldeo Scald vs. 220 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 65-77 (16.8 - 19.9%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery (Can't break a sub)
0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 91-108 (30.4 - 36.1%) -- 42.4% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Alomomola Scald vs. 220 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 21-26 (5.4 - 6.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever (Can't break a sub with 4 hits)
0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 220 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 43-51 (11.1 - 13.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever (22.2-26.4%, low chance breaking sub after 2 hits)
0 SpA Slowbro Ice Beam vs. 220 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 65-77 (16.8 - 19.9%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery (Can't break sub)
0 SpA Jellicent Scald vs. 220 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 38-45 (9.8 - 11.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever (3 hit sub break)

There is not a single Bulky Water the team can't deal with.

Last edited:
A Keldeo specs seems more dangerous to me than a Scarf. It is true that it can be controlled better.

Curious team, I don't know to what extent Gyarados can be good, but I think it is key here. Thanks to Intimidate, you have one more answer for Talonflame, MLopunny, MMetagross (be careful with TPunch).

By the way, have you had problems dealing with SR/Spikes? You don't have Defog or Rapid Spin.

Oh, if you consider MZard Y a threat, you can put in 24 Heatran atk to take him out. Anyway, that's fine, especially if there is already SR in the rival field. I also don't see it as crazy to try Toxic instead. Heatran already controls things like Talonflame(not Taunt) /Volcarona very well. Also, this way you have an answer for Rotom-W, for example.

I like the LandorusT Scarf, I don't know if it is the best set, but it is clear that you need something that gives you speed control and you can deal with Exca Scarf, MAlakazam. One thing, be careful with MZard DD Jolly outperforms Scarf LandT and has a high drop rate with FBlitz, especially if there is SR. Intimidate might help a little.

I would say try a Latios > Gyarados change. You maintain a better Keldeo Check, in addition to the Defog option. The bad thing is that you lose strength to deal with things like MLopunny / MScizor (not HP Fire).

I was thinking about a Jellicent + Excadrill SpD core. In any case, the first would also be for Gyarados and the other for Bisharp. You lose more offensive presence, but I think you can gain some balance. Jellicent can also deal with MLopunny/MMetagros, Keldeo. You have WoW and you have Taunt for those annoying fables with Twave.
Gyarados is there for a few key reason:

1. Is there as the secondary method of dispatching things that make Mega Heracross' life difficult such as Landorous-T and Gliscor, the first being Thundurus-I. Substitute is really strong against Gliscor in general, as Intimidate cuts Gliscor's attack whilst also checking any Toxic/Protect variants.
2. Further insulate the team against the likes of Talonflame, as well as being both a defensive and offensive check to Keldeo at the same time.
3. Bounce catches a lot of people by surprise when they switch into Gyarados with the likes of Amoongus, Tangrowth e.t.c. that they often then go to a Flying resist such as Metagross and instantly get hit by Paralysis. Having a secondary, albeit luck based way to spread Paralysis, especially against foes that are immune to T-Wave, gives the team another form of speed control, which in Bulky Offence teams such as this one, is often appreciated. Also being able to power through Latios/Latias after D-Dance without resorting to Bisharp/Lando-T, or at least cause Paralysis to them is also of benefit.
4. Having 2 Intimidate users just feels good to control powerful physical sweepers in general. Bulky Offence is all about taking a hit and counterpunching right back after all.

As to whether Hazards are an issue? Eh not really no. Sticky Web especially is a non-factor, as I have 3 immunities, and with Bisharp getting a +2 boost, when I do choose to bring it in, it's usually goodnight from there. I'm fairly confident in my reads that I can often conserve switches until necessary and thus limited damage as much as possible. Also the team exerts such offensive pressure, and Heatran can sometimes rack up some damage with it's phazing and potential burns, that more often than not I'm the one forcing the more switches, which is especially bad for teams that rely more heavily on Volt-Turn ideas. Hazards are rarely the biggest factor in my losses, the majority of them have either been down to players having rather specific team compositions, the occasional misplay/being out-predicted or luck based factors.

It's not so much I see M-Zard Y as a threat (although Mega Hera, the star of the team is indeed threatened by it) but more the fact that Stone Edge is such as surprise weapon against some of the Pokemon that do threaten M-Hera that it was too good not to use. Volcarona/Charizard-Y and Talonflame are not often threatened by Heatran, and either try and setup or think they're forcing a switch, only to be ruthlessly KO'd. Putting 24Atk to guarantee the OHKO on Mega Zard Y I don't think is that necessary. 93.8% is already sufficiently high from full health. Also factor in that nobody expects Stone Edge, and thus if the Zard Y was brought in via Roar with SR up, or has taken even a smidgen of damage from a Lava Plume for instance, it's dead if Edge makes contact. The extra EV's doesn't change the OHKO chance on Bulky Talonflame either. Rotom-W can already be sufficiently weakened by phazing from Heatran, and any form of residual damage leaves it open to Bullet Seed from Mega-Hera so I don't think Toxic is really needed.

I did have Latias in my XY iteration of the team as a Defog/Healing Wish user, as at least that fitted the Bulky Offence theme a bit more than Latios does. Its something i'll look at, but Gyarados does do a fair bit for the team.

Jellicent/Excadrill are certainly options to look at as well. Jelllicent's ability to spin block and also threaten the typical Rapid Spin users such as Excadrill and non T-Bolt Starmie, which has merits, but as mentioned is far more passive and more likely to get setup on. If I were to use Jellicent, I feel converting Bisharp into an AV user rather than Excadrill would be a better option, as Exca/Jellicent is vulnerable to Rotom-W and Serperior, and one of things I absolutely must limit is Serperior's chances to spread Paralysis. Bisharp covers Jellicent's Dark, Grass and Ghost weaknesses, has priority so is less vulnerable to Paralysis while still reliably checking fairies/TyranitarLatios/latias. Bisharp is also better equipped at handling Lando-T due to defiant. Excadrill's only real plus point over Bisharp is Rapid Spin, and as I mentioned previously Hazards are not usually a deciding factor in my losses due to the way I play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)