Mega-Evolution

Do you like Mega-Evolution?

• Yes, I love everything about it!

Votes: 114 53.5%
  • I like the majority of the designs, I just don't like the concept.

Votes: 32 15.0%
  • I like the concept, I just don't like the majority of the designs.

Votes: 46 21.6%
  • No, I don't like Mega-Evolution very much.

Votes: 21 9.9%

• Total voters
I just realized: So far 40 mega evolutions are known (factoring in the Lati@s but leaving out primal Groundon and Kyogre). There are a couple more to come in ORAS and I think it's a safe bet there'll be some more in Z/X2Y2 (I'd say it's X2Y2 because of the pentagon, but that's another story). Now, if you count ALL the fully evolved pokémon introduced in Gen 6 (including Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde and the events) there are only 39 of them. This means that the way things are currently, the mega evolutions have already outnumbered the new fully evolved pokémon. And with more to come, it makes me think of the impact of the mega evolution restriction on team building and if a change would be desirable.

I mean, the more mega evolutions there are, the wilder will be the competition for a mega slot. As variety increases and uniqueness wears off, being able to use say, 2 megas in a team doesn't sound that absurd. True, two mega evolutions would probably be on the broken side, but that's an issue smogon could adress by banning some combos or whatever else seems fit. But putting aside the competitive part, which is a bit out of place here - but can't be ignored as an aspect of mega evolution - how do you guys feel about the fact Gen 6 is giving us more ME than fully evolved new pokémon? I wouldn't be surprised if the generation ended with like 50, perhaps even around 60 ME - which is shocking considering there are only 69 non-ME newcomers and only 39 of them have reached their most competitive stage.
I think that's why there are so few Pokémon this gen.
Also, when it comes to variety increasing, I'm happy cause that means some could be lower tier Pokémon, allowing those tiers access to Megas.
Plus, there are over 700 Pokémon plus several alternate forms. We only have 6 slots in our teams. Not everything gets chosen often. This is just a fact of Pokémon.
Finally, I really don't mind the lower amount of Pokémon this gen for one simple factor: last gen. Gen V introduced more Pokémon than any other generation, even Gen I. Gen VI kinda evens things out.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I just realized: So far 40 mega evolutions are known (factoring in the Lati@s but leaving out primal Groundon and Kyogre). There are a couple more to come in ORAS and I think it's a safe bet there'll be some more in Z/X2Y2 (I'd say it's X2Y2 because of the pentagon, but that's another story). Now, if you count ALL the fully evolved pokémon introduced in Gen 6 (including Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde and the events) there are only 39 of them. This means that the way things are currently, the mega evolutions have already outnumbered the new fully evolved pokémon. And with more to come, it makes me think of the impact of the mega evolution restriction on team building and if a change would be desirable.

I mean, the more mega evolutions there are, the wilder will be the competition for a mega slot. As variety increases and uniqueness wears off, being able to use say, 2 megas in a team doesn't sound that absurd. True, two mega evolutions would probably be on the broken side, but that's an issue smogon could adress by banning some combos or whatever else seems fit. But putting aside the competitive part, which is a bit out of place here - but can't be ignored as an aspect of mega evolution - how do you guys feel about the fact Gen 6 is giving us more ME than fully evolved new pokémon? I wouldn't be surprised if the generation ended with like 50, perhaps even around 60 ME - which is shocking considering there are only 69 non-ME newcomers and only 39 of them have reached their most competitive stage.
Yeah... I hate it, lol. Mega-evolution is an OK concept, but I would 100% prefer it if all of these mega-evolutions were just regular evolutions to older Pokemon like Generation 4 did so brilliantly. Besides Primal Kyogre or Groudon, because story. Some of these designs already look better as stand-alone Pokemon (Mawile, Banette, Lopunny, Charizard-X, Gyarados, Alakazam, Mewtwo-Y, Aggron, Metagross, Salamence) and that's off the top of my head; I know that I will be forgetting some. If these were full evolutions more effort would be put into their aesthetics, but once again, mainly Mawile and Banette look like they could be new Pokemon completely... I understand the fact that mega-evolutions stops Eviolite being used on stuff like Gyarados and Alakazam, you can just change the rules to make Eviolite ineffective on a Pokemon above a certain BST. Only being able to use one of these mega-evolutions per team is really boring but needed, though....

Yeah... I hate it, lol. Mega-evolution is an OK concept, but I would 100% prefer it if all of these mega-evolutions were just regular evolutions to older Pokemon like Generation 4 did so brilliantly. Besides Primal Kyogre or Groudon, because story. Some of these designs already look better as stand-alone Pokemon (Mawile, Banette, Lopunny, Charizard-X, Gyarados, Alakazam, Mewtwo-Y, Aggron, Metagross, Salamence) and that's off the top of my head; I know that I will be forgetting some. If these were full evolutions more effort would be put into their aesthetics, but once again, mainly Mawile and Banette look like they could be new Pokemon completely... I understand the fact that mega-evolutions stops Eviolite being used on stuff like Gyarados and Alakazam, you can just change the rules to make Eviolite ineffective on a Pokemon above a certain BST. Only being able to use one of these mega-evolutions per team is really boring but needed, though....
Maybe certain Pokémon should get Megas (like Gyarados and Alakazam) while much weaker Pokémon (such as Mawile and Lopunny) get normal evos. I think that would have solved the whole Evolite debate.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I kind of think that only weaker Pokemon would have needed Megas.
Such as Farfetch'd, Dunsparce.
Instead of Garchomp, Gengar and other over-powered Pokemon.

But this totally wasn't what the Game Freak staff was thinking.
Perhaps they just keep making Megas depending on if they have inspiration or not.

Now, it's like you can completely forget about Farfetch'd and Dunsparce.

I kind of think that only weaker Pokemon would have needed Megas.
Such as Farfetch'd, Dunsparce.
Instead of Garchomp, Gengar and other over-powered Pokemon.

But this totally wasn't what the Game Freak staff was thinking.
Perhaps they just keep making Megas depending on if they have inspiration or not.

Now, it's like you can completely forget about Farfetch'd and Dunsparce.
I think that those weaker pokemon should get real evos first before getting megas. 100 to Sunflora isn't going to do much, it's a waste on weaker pokemon. Ideally megas would go to pokemon that are evolved or/and on the fringe of being good. Basically a lot of UU, RU, & NU pokemon. Of course, the favorites are going to get theirs but I want to have a okay pokemon go to being a good pokemon. Not a shitty pokemon go to being okay.

I think that's why there are so few Pokémon this gen.
Also, when it comes to variety increasing, I'm happy cause that means some could be lower tier Pokémon, allowing those tiers access to Megas.
Plus, there are over 700 Pokémon plus several alternate forms. We only have 6 slots in our teams. Not everything gets chosen often. This is just a fact of Pokémon.
Finally, I really don't mind the lower amount of Pokémon this gen for one simple factor: last gen. Gen V introduced more Pokémon than any other generation, even Gen I. Gen VI kinda evens things out.
Oh my fucking god, thank you, you have no idea how hard it is to find someone who isn't all "THIS GEN SHOULD HAVE HAD MOREEEEE"

I explained it before, but basically, designing regular Pokémon actually costs Gamefreak a lot of time. They really do put a lot of work into their designs, both in terms of references and being easy for kids to draw. And then they have to work out balance as well, so that you don't have a case where some regular Pokémon end up in Ubers.

In comparison, Mega Evolutions are very cheap to make. They've got no references to real-world objects/events, they're all about looking fancy than being easy to draw, and they get around balancing (and you know well the balancing is bad) by going "Yeah, they're basically on par with Legendaries Hell, they don't even have unique names! It's very likely they just told the art team "Hey, you want to design your own Pokémon? Great, redesign your favourites however you want! Have fun!" and thought up some rough numbers/abilities to match.

In other words, you can expect a buttload of Mega Evolutions from here on out, because GameFreak just loves making them.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I explained it before, but basically, designing regular Pokémon actually costs Gamefreak a lot of time. They really do put a lot of work into their designs, both in terms of references and being easy for kids to draw. And then they have to work out balance as well, so that you don't have a case where some regular Pokémon end up in Ubers.

In comparison, Mega Evolutions are very cheap to make. They've got no references to real-world objects/events, they're all about looking fancy than being easy to draw, and they get around balancing (and you know well the balancing is bad) by going "Yeah, they're basically on par with Legendaries Hell, they don't even have unique names! It's very likely they just told the art team "Hey, you want to design your own Pokémon? Great, redesign your favourites however you want! Have fun!" and thought up some rough numbers/abilities to match.

In other words, you can expect a buttload of Mega Evolutions from here on out, because GameFreak just loves making them.
I would be interested to see your sources and references for your claims here, since not once have I ever heard of Game Freak trying to make their Pokemon "easy for children to draw". I think that that is probably not one of their biggest worries. I think that they are more focussed on making the fantastic games they do make.

I also remember reading somewhere an interview from one of the designers where he basically said he finds something that interests him and sees if he can base a Pokemon off of it, whereas in your post you heavily implied it was the other way around. I can't find that interview now, though.

You said that Mega-Pokemon are not based on anything. This is untrue. For example, Mega-Mawile has an extra mouth on is head. This could reference two things to do with Mawile's original design, which is based off of the Futakuchi-Onna:
1) The Futakuchi-Onna's permanent hunger.
2) The neglected child that the Futakuchi-Onna reportedly failed to feed who died of starvation.

Furthermore, Mega-Mawile is in a detailed kimono, akin to the one that the Futakuchi-Onna wears.

Also, they work out balance quite quickly. We all know that some Pokemon are good and some are bad, and Game Freak designs them that way. Their idea or Ubers is different to Smogon's, though, which shows that they didn't get the balancing quite right.

I agree that Mega-Evolution is here to stay, but I don't think it is for the reasons you listed. I'm pretty sure it's just because GF feels it is breathing new life into the franchise.

I like megas because I love new evolutions. I think they work, you just need proper counters(or balance the fairness with a mega on your team)
Mega Tyranitar is a huge threat but it can go down to a Gengar's Focus Blast.

I disagree entirely with this. The very concept of mega evolution is implicitly limiting in a way that a new evolution can never be. Even setting aside the presence of the eviolite (and your solution, incidentally, is not workable since BSTs are never referred to in-game and the vast majority of players are children), mega-evolution is self-limiting since mega-evolved Pokemon a) cannot use items and b) are limited to one per team. This essentially allows for the creation of a boatload of powerful Pokemon whose number actually serves to broaden rather than narrow the competitive scene. This is not true of ordinary evolutions, who just end up being stacked onto the same team if they're sufficiently powerful. There is an end to the number of new potential evolutions Gamefreak can create. There is no limit to the number of potential mega evolutions. As a result, the concept (not the practice) is more balanced than a new evolution could ever hope to be.

My personal feeling is that a normal evolution should only be used on a Pokémon with a BST of below around... 400. Not counting Eevee. I know Mawile and Sableye are below that and they're good, but that's mostly because of a host of other traits individual to them. It just doesn't feel quite right to give a Mega to things like Dunsparce and Qwilfish rather than normal evos. But for the most part, Megas are the way to go imo.

GF are apparently planning on nerfing Kanga IIRC. Earth Power watchu talkin bout son
Source?

EDIT: Nvm found it - what was actually said by Masuda was that M-Kanga was more powerful than he expected. The idea that it was going to be nerfed was due to Google translate issues - no comments were ever made to that effect.

Last edited:
Source?

EDIT: Nvm found it - what was actually said by Masuda was that M-Kanga was more powerful than he expected. The idea that it was going to be nerfed was due to Google translate issues - no comments were ever made to that effect.
With that statement, it sounds like they will nerf it. The only question is will they nerf it now or in Gen VII.
There is precedent for a nerf in ORAS. In the Japanese versions of Red, Green, and Blue, Blizzard had a 30% freeze chance (which is unholy in Generation I). It was changed for Yellow, Stadium, and all international versions of Red and Blue to the more familiar 10% chance. I also know that many moves were modified between the release of Diamond and Pearl and the release of Platinum. The only question is when?

With that statement, it sounds like they will nerf it. The only question is will they nerf it now or in Gen VII.
There is precedent for a nerf in ORAS. In the Japanese versions of Red, Green, and Blue, Blizzard had a 30% freeze chance (which is unholy in Generation I). It was changed for Yellow, Stadium, and all international versions of Red and Blue to the more familiar 10% chance. I also know that many moves were modified between the release of Diamond and Pearl and the release of Platinum. The only question is when?
You're really stretching a long bow from 'it's better than I expected' to 'we're going to nerf it.' There have been multiple changes made to Pokemon, moves, and abilities between generations, but the fact is there's no more reason to believe one is pending now than there ever has been. Blaziken was completely broken in Gen 5 and what happens when Gen 6 comes around? They make it stronger. Shadow Tag Chandelure was never released, supposedly due to how overpowered it would be, but what happens when Gen 6 comes around? We get Shadow Tag Megagar. Assuming that GF are going to nerf Megakhan just because Masuda gave one throwaway comment about how it had turned out to be stronger than he thought it would is wishful thinking, plain and simple.

babaGAReeb

Banned deucer.
I like the concept, I just don't like the majority of the designs.

im not against the idea of mega evolution it self but by they gotta make mega evolutions so ugly?

almost all of em look like exaggerated versions of their previous forms

Exactly. It seems that Megas are forms that are found in their DNA, but are unstable and unpractical in the wild. It would explain why it takes a trainer with a strong bond with the Pokemon for the Pokemon to Mega Evolve. That and those stones...

At first, I was very skeptical about Mega Evolutions. I disliked them in the beginning just because I didn't know whether or not they'd be worth using, I didn't know if their upgrades would be significant. I liked the designs, but that was about it.

Somewhere in September, however, I found out Mega Evolutions had a BST increase of 100 points, which blew my mind (and I'm sure that blew many others' minds as well). I gave it some more thought and before I knew, I was absolutely fond of Mega Evolutions. Their designs were really interesting to me, since they either built up on a Pokémon's mythos or gave it a completely different spin while staying true to the original design. The example I'm drawing here is Mega Tyranitar, my favorite Mega Evolution. I've seen this guy get a lot of flak, but for the most part this seems to be derived from failure to understand the concept behind the design, I feel. Mega Tyranitar was designed to be an homage to the whole Larvitar evolutionary family, which it pulls off with aplomb in my opinion:
- Why does Mega Tyranitar have an upward horn on its head? That's an element referring to Larvitar.
- Why are the diamonds on Mega Tyranitar's chest and back red and not blue? Larvitar had a red chest diamond.
- Why do the energy cores on Mega Tyranitar's chest look like eyes? This is in order to look more like Pupitar than before.
- Why does Mega Tyranitar have the large, spiked growths extending from its chest armor? Mega Tyranitar gets a shitton more Defense and, more importantly, it's the Armor Pokémon. Of course its armor grows larger and more impressive. Due to the spikes pointing diagonally to the back, its movement isn't impeded in the slightest. In fact, it presumably has far stronger legs, since it's a bit faster than its regular phase. Moreover, the spikes allude to Mega Tyranitar literally bursting with power; it's like the power is released explosively.

Now, onto a few similar examples:
- Why does Mega Heracross look the way it does? Let's begin by stating Heracross is based off of the Japanese Fighting Beetle (Kabutomushi) and its namesake is Heracles/Hercules. Now, do you see where this is going? That's right, Mega Heracross is based off of a Hercules Beetle, the strongest beetle on the planet, able to lift 100 times its own mass. This explains why it has that gargantuan +60 Attack boost, as well as its +40 Defense boost; its exoskeleton gets a lot more durable. Now, it does become slower, but would you expect otherwise with such a heavy exoskeleton? I mean, c'mon.
- What about Mega Salamence? This is an example of a Pokémon going one step further in its mythos. Bagon have a desire to one day be able to fly. Shelgon suppresses this desire by enduring its thirst and hunger. Salamence finally grows the wings it dreamed of for years and fulfills its desire to fly. Mega Salamence ascends past the dream and embodies it, evidenced by its single, huge wing being strong enough to keep it afloat at all times. It is flight. This is illustrated by its Ability Aerilate; it's suspended in midair at all times and doesn't get tired in flight, hence why all of its Normal-type moves are imbued with Flying-type energy.

I'll do more examples later, but I just want people to better understand the motives behind Mega Evolution designs. For more, go to TV Tropes -> Pokémon XY -> Fridge Brilliance.

im not against the idea of mega evolution it self but by they gotta make mega evolutions so ugly?
The answer I use is the same one I use to explain why some new evolutions added in later generations to fully evolved pokemon look so terrible (I'm looking at you Magmortar). The bases were designed to be the best that pokemon could get. They had power, but also a degree of elegance. With the megas, they had to through that out and try to make the best a pokemon could get even better, and sometimes it just didn't work.

The answer I use is the same one I use to explain why some new evolutions added in later generations to fully evolved pokemon look so terrible (I'm looking at you Magmortar). The bases were designed to be the best that pokemon could get. They had power, but also a degree of elegance. With the megas, they had to through that out and try to make the best a pokemon could get even better, and sometimes it just didn't work.
Can you give a few examples on which Pokémon you find to be successful and unsuccessful in that regard?

I personally love how Magmortar looks. It has that smug look on its face because it knows it's strong and can vaporize the opposition with its extremely powerful Fire-type moves.
An example I personally find to be very well done is Yanmega. It's a great evolution to Yanma, because it actually looks like something primordial (it's based off of an ancient, long-extinct species of dragonfly, Megaraptora, no less), which explains the evolution triggered by learning Ancient Power.

Matter of opinion, I suppose. I prefer all of the designs, barring only Mega Gyarados, to the originals. In some cases, the megas have sold me on Pokemon whose designs I really wasn't keen on beforehand (Heracross, Manectric).

Same goes for most of the older 'new' evolutions. I really didn't like Electabuzz's design, but irrespective of his general usefulness, I really like Electavire. Ditto Gligar and Gliscor, Togetic and Togekiss. Only ones I haven't really been sold on have been Magmortar and Porygon-Z.

Can you give a few examples on which Pokémon you find to be successful and unsuccessful in that regard?

I personally love how Magmortar looks. It has that smug look on its face because it knows it's strong and can vaporize the opposition with its extremely powerful Fire-type moves.
An example I personally find to be very well done is Yanmega. It's a great evolution to Yanma, because it actually looks like something primordial (it's based off of an ancient, long-extinct species of dragonfly, Megaraptora, no less), which explains the evolution triggered by learning Ancient Power.
Instead of just giving examples, I'll go just go down the line and list why I like or dislike new final/mega evolutions (split evolutions don't count)

Steelix-pretty much an onix but metal. Simple, but isn't recognizably better
Pinsir-a much more drastic change, being unique and seperate from Scizor. The problem is it feels more like a counterpart than an evolution of Scizor, and that bugs me.
Kingdra-A little bigger, but more streamlined and aggressive. It looks bigger and stronger and faster, so I like this one. More importantly, it felt necessary because looking at it, Seadra does not look like a fully evolved pokemon.
Roserade/Ambipom/Weavile/Probobass/Tangrowth/Yamna/Gliscor/Mamoswine-These were just fillers in the dex. No they did not appear to be fully evolved, but the fact that they were in the same company as Sableye/Mawile/Volbeat/Illumise/Spinda/Castform/Kecleon/Luvdisc made this not a big deal. By emphasizing that these 6 could evolve further makes me wonder what's wrong with the other 8. This was remedied slightly by the first two getting megas, but I feel like GF just got lazy with the other 6.

That said, I like all their designs fine (except 'stach man), and they feel like a natural progression of their preevlolutions, so no big complaints.

Magnezone-A clever way to give Magneton, a less than clever evolution in itself, a new form, but still a good design in itself.

Lickilicky-Not an improvement on the design at all, why was this necessary?

Rhyperior-You took a rhino and turned it into a mountain with a drill for a nose and arms that can shoot rocks. Perfect example of trying too hard. Not my least favorite at all, but why?

Electivire-A japanese ogre got bigger and hairier. Not a bad execution, but I can't talk about this line without griping about how little sense Elekid makes. Electivire's not bad though.

Magmortar-Where did the cannons come from? Where'd its beak go? Why'd you make it so fat? Where'd 2 of its fingers go? Why'd it grow shoulder pads? Why does that smile look s creepy (reminds me of those clowns people hate)? All in all, I disliked Magmar's design, but Magmortar's is much worse.

Togekiss-I'd complain about it making sense, except Togetic's didn't either, so it's mostly fair game. Since the design isn't a bad one, being elegant but still strong, I don't mind this one.

Dusknoir-I don't dislike it, but don't see the point either. It learned to fly again, so it doesn't need legs, but how do you explain it getting a face on its stomach? This was purely an attempt to buff dusclops first and worked with the design later. Not bad, but feels unnatural.

Most of these evolutions aren't bad, but don't really feel like the natural progression of that evolutionary line. The only real exception is Kingdra, because it was created with Seadra in gen 1 but was scrapped until gen 2. My other opinions are more based on their design compared to the pre evolution, but I don't really think any (besides Kingdra) were necessary, and therefore somewhat violate the whole mentality of evolution.

Now to Megas:
Venusaur/Charizard Y/Mawile/Aggron/Abomosnow/Sceptile/Lupunny-Minor changes, but clearly stronger. Design-wise, I am okay with these ones. They're not going to be many people's favorites, but they're successful at their goal

Blastoise/Aerodactyl/Tyranitar/Garchomp/Lucario-Same as last group, but they took it too far. Blastoise's cannon is pretty ridiculous, and Aerodactyl/Tyranitar/Garchomp/Lucario became unreasonably spiky. This completely violates the simplistic nature most of Pokemon's best designs have.

Pinsir/Kangaskhan/Scizor/Heracross/Ampharos/Houndoom/Gardevoir/Mawile/Medicham/Banette/Absol/Slowbro/Sableye-Mostly the same save it some major differences. For the most part I like these, but there's a few (Specifically Medicham) that just didn't do it for me. This category is entirely based on personal preference, so I left it black because I know my opinions won't match anyone's exactly.

Charizard X/Alakazam/Gengar/Gyarados/Blaziken/Manectric/Swampert/Altaria/Salamence/Metagross/Audino-These ones actually feel like evolutions. They're pretty significant changes to the bases that make them unique, and depending on your preferences, can be either your favorite or least favorite of the bunch, just like regular pokemon. This catagory has the greatest potential for success or failure. For instance, I hate Swampert's design, and almost put it in the second group, but then I realized it was me judging it as its own unique design and deciding I didn't like it rather than me comparing it to its base and disapproving of the changes.

My personal feeling is that a normal evolution should only be used on a Pokémon with a BST of below around... 400. Not counting Eevee. I know Mawile and Sableye are below that and they're good, but that's mostly because of a host of other traits individual to them. It just doesn't feel quite right to give a Mega to things like Dunsparce and Qwilfish rather than normal evos. But for the most part, Megas are the way to go imo.
Totally agreed with this and the post above that mentioned it going to fully evolved NU/RU/some UU pokemon that only had a generation or so of usability, or were simply never viable in the higher tiers. Mawile got Huge Power making it's BST effectively around 600 anyway IIRC, not to mention two incredible abilities. I think Altaria is somewhere on the line of "could have been a regular evolution" with only 480 BST (or something like that), but with phenomenal new typing, a great ability, a diverse movepool and hopefully boosts in the right places, it'll likely pull it off anyway. I think around 500 BST is generally where Megas should come in given that they can't hold items, 600 BST is the least you can do to make them usable... And if going lower than that, some broken abilities are in order. I don't know what the hell GF was thinking giving a pokemon which was already fantastic (Gengar) Shadow Tag in addition to the stat boost.

The best megas were for pokemon like Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Pinsir, Mawile, Gardevoir, etc. Giving pokemon which weren't OU viable (or wouldn't have been with the change in weather mechanics) the ability to compete or even excel in OU. As someone who loves stall/semistall/bulky offense type play, I hope they give us a few more megas who can play that style, rather than the majority of them which are beefed up sweepers tryign to outsweep eachother. Only really M-Venu and Aggron are defensive, with a few more who can play bulky sets reasonably effectively.

Sure, quite a few of these designs actually do make sense (considering the pokemon in question as well as is background in the pokemon verse) and some of them are actually quite good, but there are plenty of designs that look kinda uninspired or lazy, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)