Metagame Mega Evolution in Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Eh I still think Lele in general is better overall than Mega Gard. For one thing, Lele has boosted Psyshock which actually let it touch shit like AV Magearna and SpD Steela a lot harder than Gardevoir. It also can run Specs to basically 2HKO the entire metagame as well as Z moves like Fightinium or Electrium to muscle through some of its said checks. Psychic Terrain makes it immune to priority so it can't be picked off by CB Zygarde and Scarf sets can revenge kill a +2 Mega Pinsir or Ash Gren locked into Shuriken. Also Lele has Taunt, so I'm not really sure how that's really a relevant argument.

The only thing Gard has over Lele is a stronger Fairy STAB which is much easier to switch into than Specs Psychic moves, 100 base Speed which isn't that important considering that it just forces a tie with Medi and Zard-Y, and I guess maybe Wisp? Other than that, Lele is better in almost every aspect, especially considering that it doesn't take up a mega slot, and can still do basically every Mega Gard can do but better. I'm not sure how Mega Gard is "better at fighting everything else" when it just lets two of the most annoying Pokemon in the tier in for free (Steela and Magearna) which are found on all sorts of teams. At least some of Lele's sets can keep them from switching in consistently.

I've been seeing a lot of discussion regarding T-tar (Mega or normal) and Weavile picking back up in the viability thread. While Lele remains ultimately better, it does present something to watch for in locking into its Specs Psychic moves, since it is NOT surviving a Pursuit, at least without relinquishing momentum. In Gardevoir's case, its spammed STAB is the SE hit on Pursuit Trappers (or at least non-resisted in the case of A-LOL-a Muk), so it doesn't have to be wary about STAB spam pre entry, or even post entry in some cases, since it can KO Tyranitar after SR, and only Scarf can get the initiative to KO first with Stone Edge.

252 SpA Pixilate Gardevoir-Mega Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 282-332 (82.4 - 97%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

This is primarily concerning the STAB moves. Gardevoir has Will-o-Wisp for a means to neuter Physical switch-ins, if not for its own survival then to cripple attackers for teammates. If you're worried about a Pursuit Trapper or a set up sweeper coming in, it's a reasonable option to have in the back, and even on a misprediction that chip damage can make the difference down the line, as a lot of mons with defensive synergy lack Recovery outside of Leftovers, if that, to alleviate pressure (Heatran, Celesteela, Defensive Lando-T, AV Magearna).

I can't argue Celesteela, but Magearna's match up depends on the set. Focus Blast does a minimum 38% to any set outside of AV, and even has a reasonable chance to 2HKO the Shift Gear after Rocks. That's obviously a prediction game, but nonetheless something Magearna must watch for to enter. The only Lele set that seems to fare better against Magearna than Gardevoir vs the same set is Specs, which comes obviously with the lock-in issue of either being baited or even giving Magearna a set up chance (SG or TR) if it's the wrong move. I also have heard talks of SG Magearna sets forgoing Steel STAB for BoltBeam + Focus Blast options and their Z-Move, which fails to threaten either of them out without said STAB and has to bluff its way to set up then.

All this said, Lele is indeed the better mon, but I think Gardevoir's couple distinctions warrant select teams giving it a look.

Does Mega Gallade have a future in OU? It could be used as a Swords Dance sweeper but I don't think it will make a big impact. More fairies definitely hurts it, though.

Been building ahead of time for Lopunny's release, trying to be creative with cores and whatnot. But... why be creative when you can literally just slap unresisted STAB mons together?

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Mimikyu @ Life Orb/Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

The epitome of offensive type synergy. Lopunny is difficult to handle unless you have a bulky psychic or scarfed fighting type... which Mimikyu can set up on or threaten out. Mimikyu struggles with fast offensive threats like greninja... which fake out + return from Lopunny can take out. This duo also pressures defensive lando-t a ton, so perhaps a stallbreaker (subcoil maybe?) zygarde can abuse this to help with this duo being hard walled by toxapex and bold unaware clef. Thoughts and suggestions?

I'm not really sure if Fake Out on Lopunny's gonna be necessary this gen. It's one of the fastest mons in the tier, tying with Mega Manectric and outpacing Ash-Greninja. It's a nice option if you want some insurance against scarfers/speed-boosting sweepers, but with the mega speed boost granted in SM, it can automatically outspeed whatever is faster than its base form. Fake Out's main purpose in ORAS was to grant a safe mega evolution so it could outspeed Latios, Keldeo, ect the next turn. Not being forced to run Fake Out this gen means it can use moves like Substitute, Encore, Heal Bell, Healing Wish, and Power-up Punch for more utility/sweeping potential.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Even with not being forced to run Fake Out, I strongly doubt Mega Lopunny will be as good as it was in ORAS. The metagame is filled to the brim with >100 base speed scarfers that outspeed and KO it, because in this gen, Lopunny has no more defensive merit. In ORAS it had somewhat passable bulk, but now, it's pretty awful. Nomal/Fighting is also a terrible defensive typing, with just about no merit whatsoever. This makes its utility options harder to utilize effectively.
Now, I've been going off on the defensive side, but offensively, it's not half as good as what it used to be. There are Steel types that aren't weak to fighting everywhere, and they can handle Lopunny well. Ghost types are more abundant (which makes it harder to spam HJK, the more powerful STAB that can hit steels), Fairies are far more abundant and so is good physical bulk in general. What truly hurts Mega Lopunny, however, is the lacking power. 136 base attack initially seems good, but then you realize that it has no boosting item, and it just falls flat on its face. More and more offensive mons are bulky, like Zygarde and Bulu, and while Lopunny has extensive coverage to hit them, said coverage is rather weak on anything else - it NEEDS to be a super-effective hit or it's just bouncing off.
Overall, I see Mega Lopunny in A or even A- rank, to be honest. It can't keep up with the ever-rising bulk of the meta, and there are tons of mons that can outspeed and KO. I don't see it dropping to UU (though next gen I really do see that happening) but it's just not that good anymore.
EDIT: I am well aware it has Scrappy. But if it uses its normal STAB, steels get a free switch-in. This makes the normal STAB a lot worse. Thus, you're forced to make a heavy prediction as to what stab to use, and one wrong move could cause you to lost your Lopunny.
MORE EDITS: BTW Mega Garde won't be good this gen. Tape Lele almost 100% outdoes it. I see C+ rank tbh, though C could fit as well.

Last edited:
Even with not being forced to run Fake Out, I strongly doubt Mega Lopunny will be as good as it was in ORAS. The metagame is filled to the brim with >100 base speed scarfers that outspeed and KO it, because in this gen, Lopunny has no more defensive merit. In ORAS it had somewhat passable bulk, but now, it's pretty awful. Nomal/Fighting is also a terrible defensive typing, with just about no merit whatsoever. This makes its utility options harder to utilize effectively.
Now, I've been going off on the defensive side, but offensively, it's not half as good as what it used to be. There are Steel types that aren't weak to fighting everywhere, and they can handle Lopunny well. Ghost types are more abundant (which makes it harder to spam HJK, the more powerful STAB that can hit steels), Fairies are far more abundant and so is good physical bulk in general. What truly hurts Mega Lopunny, however, is the lacking power. 136 base attack initially seems good, but then you realize that it has no boosting item, and it just falls flat on its face. More and more offensive mons are bulky, like Zygarde and Bulu, and while Lopunny has extensive coverage to hit them, said coverage is rather weak on anything else - it NEEDS to be a super-effective hit or it's just bouncing off.
Overall, I see Mega Lopunny in A or even A- rank, to be honest. It can't keep up with the ever-rising bulk of the meta, and there are tons of mons that can outspeed and KO. I don't see it dropping to UU (though next gen I really do see that happening) but it's just not that good anymore.
Dude. Mega Lopp has Scrappy :P

I think you're underselling MLop. A lot of the things you say that have changed to make it worse were things it had to deal with in ORAS anyway, which was arguably a bulkier meta than SUMO. 136 Base attack with no boosting item seems average, but lopunny has high-powered stabs. Lopunny's HJK is about equal in power to Kartana's leaf blade.

I want to address a couple things.

Utility: Lopunny isn't a utility mon, but it still has some utility. A PuP on the switch gives it real power. A fast healing wish means it doesn't have to live a hit to bring in that other mon. Fake out will still be useful, just like it is useful on MMedi. Offensive teams often rely on repeated fake out chip to take out boosted sweepers. For example, MLop chunks offensive Landot for about 25% with fake out.

Defensive/offensive answers and bulky mons: Here's some things lopunny dealt with last meta -
bulky mons - hippo, skarm, mvenu, amoong, clef, megabro, reuni
scarfers that can OHKO - keld, lati, chomp, landot
priority - talonflame, mpinsir

And some calcs against the bulkiest attackers in the meta -
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 186-220 (51.9 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 153-181 (54.4 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 195-231 (53.7 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Mawile: 252-297 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (edit: ye lol mmaw isn't that bulky but that's a nice ohko)

That's a fine damage output for a breaker. It KOs zygarde and bulky mage on the switch. It needs hazards to get it's ohkos and 2hkos, but so do a lot of breakers, and hazards are abundant and easy to keep down right now.

The rise of ghost types is a good thing, as they can't hit lop with their ghost stab, and it can hit them with its stab. Free switchins to choice locked gengar and predicted mimikyu shadow claws, both of which it OHKO's after rocks.

I don't entirely disagree with your points; I think some new threats and some old defensive ones that came back will give it trouble. It'll almost require hazards to be down or else it'll be switching out a lot when it fails to reach certain 2hkos. And tbh I agree with your viability placement (I thought you were gonna say B+ or something after that post).

EDIT: I am well aware it has Scrappy. But if it uses its normal STAB, steels get a free switch-in. This makes the normal STAB a lot worse. Thus, you're forced to make a heavy prediction as to what stab to use, and one wrong move could cause you to lost your Lopunny.
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Its Normal STAB is extremely spammable thanks to Scrappy, getting some nice chip damage early-mid game so it can HJK clean late-game. The two of the three main Steels that aren't weak to Fighting, which are Celesteela and Magearna, don't have reliable recovery and can be whittled down relatively easily with repeated Returns/HJKs.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
TBH, I see where you're coming from with this:
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Its Normal STAB is extremely spammable thanks to Scrappy, getting some nice chip damage early-mid game so it can HJK clean late-game. The two of the three main Steels that aren't weak to Fighting, which are Celesteela and Magearna, don't have reliable recovery and can be whittled down relatively easily with repeated Returns/HJKs.
I didn't think it'd be spammable with Steels around but then the calcs above posted by Volx757. I might have undersold it a bit but I still think A or A- is appropriate for it, because it still has lots of issues with power and defensive typing.
Also, about PuP: While Fake Out is no longer required, the chip on offense is still rather handy. I'd go for it personally. Also, I'd still go for Ice Punch for the invaluable coverage against tons of things. PuP is still good though. IMO it'd be Ice Punch / PuP. I don't believe Fire punch would be good but maybe it can handle steels like celesteela and mega scizor that don't go down to HJK? IMO it's a mediocre option but still there.

Some calculations show us something interesting:

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 296-350 (84 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 228-272 (64.7 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Scizor-Mega: 136-162 (39.6 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Scizor-Mega: 212-252 (61.8 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 213-252 (53.5 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 166-196 (41.7 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Basically, Fire Punch makes the difference only in the case of Scizor.

Last edited:
I assume Mega Lopunny's only set will be this:

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out / Power-Up Punch
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch / Healing Wish

Run Power-Up Punch if you are willing to sacrifice some of the matchup versus offense (with its very high Speed, Lopunny has a STAB pseudo-FakeSpeed on its disposal) to be able to threaten Pokemon like Toxapex, which walls Lopunny, before the boosts are removed (a +1 and +0 Return deal 78% minimum together, so it cannot switch in with some chip damage). A +1 Return also deals large damage to Tapu Fini, but it can KO Lopunny first (not a guaranteed OHKO though).

Healing Wish if being completely walled by Landorus-T is not a matter.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Now, for the remaining megas (though Lopunny for sure will have the biggest impact of these all sans maybe mega diancie):
  • Latios: Again as last gen, useless. It might be a good offensive Defogger though.
  • Latias: It won't be that good because Dragon typing holds it back. Good Defogger though, maybe Calm Mind too. I see B+ rank at the highest, but B would be fine too. I don't see as low as B- though.
  • Diancie: I've heard that Diamond Storm is better than Power Gem because it hits certain targets like Volcarona and Zard Y harder. It doesn't matter; Power Gem at least gives it the option of full special. It also serves as a hazard control OPTION (not the best) for offense, but the rise of steels hurts it quite a bit. A rank.
  • Ampharos: Um, C- at most, I don't see it getting ranked. Mega Mawile is just so much better on TR, and Magearna too (alowak as well). Outside of TR, it's slow and not that bulky, with a not-so-good typing to boot. UR/C-.
  • Aggron: Lol no. It has insane bulk but Celesteela, Heatran, Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn and Magearna all are just better defensively. UR.
  • Altaria: Bad bad bad. Doesn't go well against Steels - though it does have fire blast, earthquake doesn't hit too many of the steels that well (I made a rather good list above), forcing it to go special. The base stats also are underwhelming as ever. I might be underestimating the typing but Dragon/Fairy does not look too good to me, with weaknesses to Fairy and Ice. It's also weak to SR in pre-Mega form. There are just so many better fairies and dragons. I'd say B- but I think I'm overselling it - could be C+.
  • Gallade: I've talked this over with lots of people, and from the general consensus, I'd say it's like B or B- rank (more likely B-). It's better than last gen with 110 base speed no longer being crowded and Knock being really useful vs the rising bulky Psychics. I could also see this operating well on Webs, though it'll obviously not be half as good as Mega Pinsir. I'm not sure yet though - I could be overselling it.
  • Gardevoir: C+ or C. I already said this above, lele really outdoes it due to more power and the ability to hold items such as Scarf and Z-Moves. Strong Fairy STAB is good though, and so is the 100 speed tier. IDK how many times this has been said, but Lele + Mega Gardevoir is NOT going to be good - terrible defensively, steels give too much trouble.

Ever since this, alongside lop and gardevoir, has been announced, i've been theorymonning and building with this a lot. I feel that, for the most part, the changes this gen compared to last gen have, for the most part, been positive for it. Few megas appreciate the speed buff as much as gallade, because it puts it ahead of stuff like lele zard y and zygarde first turn. The general decline in rocky helmet lando usage is huge for it, because it is no longer forced so much to run ice punch. Mew's massive usage, which is bound to increase with the release of lop alongside it, gives it more of a niche over its fellow psychic/fighting mega, medicham. Some of the most common teams in the meta, such as bro fists SG mageana team, seriously struggle against gallade. Gallade has a terrible stall matchup for a breaker, a somewhat awkward speed tier and severe 4mss, which definitely will hold it back from ever being one of the beat megas.

With that said,this is what its best set will most likely be:
Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt

Swords dance is obvious. Close combat is better than drain punch because you OHKO zygarde at +2, OHKO AV tang after stealth rocks at +2, and probably some other stuff i missed that it also achieves that drain punch doesn't. Knock off beats mew. Zen heatbutt beats pex, clef, heracross and some other less important stuff like fini. Ice punch is kinda bad because you beat phys def rocky helmet with zen heatbutt at -1 followed by +1 after taking stealth rock twice ( a solid rocker is really important for gallade). Leftovers lando is a problem but like thats not that common.

Overall, i feel that with a team that can pressure lando and stall a lot, gallade is geniunely solid mon that should not be ignored in building. I feel it will probably end up b or b- in the vr, because while it has a lot of pros, its threatened a lot by common mons, comes with a fairly hogh opportunity cost, and requires a fair bit of support.
I think this set is a great set to start with and generally takes on the tier at the B or B- level. However, my first concern with building any set is how it can take on the Tapus. It doesn't necessarily need to be able 1v1 all four of them, but it needs to be able to hold its ground when facing them at any point in a battle. My first issue is that Mega Gallade can't switch in on any of the Tapus. However, it is a great revenge killer after some of its teammates are able to put a dent into the Island Guardians.

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Zen Headbutt

My recommendation is a Sub-Drain Punch set while still keeping SD in the back. Zen Headbutt is Gallade's best tool against the Tapus, as it hits all of them hard, especially Tapu Lele when it sets up Psychic Terrain. While it has no answer for a ScarfLele, a Substitute gives it a chance to SD on an opposing switch-out or attack with a Drain Punch to recover health or Zen Headbutt for damage.

While this is an alternative, stall-favored set that can do some damage late in the game, the absence of Knock Off is the only thing I wish could be present.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I still think Lopunny will really want to run Fake Out this gen. The extra chip can be really useful vs offensive teams, and the ability to flinch Mimikyu through its Disguise is really nice as an anti offense measure, as well as breaking Smeargle's or Duggy's Sash. Especially with all the Scarfers and priority floating around like Ash Gren's Shuriken, being able to force things out just by its Fake Out alone is nice, and Fake Out puts a lot of things in range of its STAB moves. I do think Lopunny can afford to run other moves over Fake Out this gen, but I still see it being the primary option on it by far. Free Mega Evo was only one of the many reasons Fake Out was used last gen anyway.

Other than that, can't see Ice Punch ever being given up for anything. The ability to touch Landorus-T is too huge, as well as doing tons more damage to Zygarde which could otherwise easily stomach a hit from any of its other moves. Never was a huge fan of Healing Wish because I never found a reason to suicide Lopunny vs just keeping it around.

I feel like mega lopunny will pretty much run fake out, return, hjk, and ice/fire punch (but mostly ice punch). it could run toxic but I feel like I would want both ice punch and fake out. but if you did run toxic I would get rid of fake out.

• Diancie: I've heard that Diamond Storm is better than Power Gem because it hits certain targets like Volcarona and Zard Y harder. It doesn't matter; Power Gem at least gives it the option of full special. It also serves as a hazard control OPTION (not the best) for offense, but the rise of steels hurts it quite a bit. A rank.
Diamond Storm will almost certainly be better than Power Gem. For starters, it simply is the more powerful option:

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 153-181 (44.8 - 53%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 163-193 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO

Since Diamond Storm is so powerful in of itself, the lack of physical investment doesn't really matter. It also comes with the general merits of running a mixed attacker, like hitting special walls harder:

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 109-130 (27.3 - 32.6%) -- 77.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 159-187 (39.9 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Add that to the fact that Diamond Storm got a buff this gen, giving it a 50% chance to double its defense, and there is almost no merit to running a fully special Diancie.

As for Diancie itself, gen 7 has turned out to be quite a mixed bag for it, as the rise in steels (primarily Magearna) pressure it considerably, the new offensive fairies this gen add increased competition for its role, and the low usage of Talonflame and Tornadus-T means it loses out on a lot of the merit for its typing. However, the new mega mechanics free up its final move slot, making it super hard to wall, and it still has some defensive utility, like checking Mega Pinsir. Add that to it just simply being so strong and fast and I'd imagine it to have quite a successful run in gen 7. Can't see it going lower than A or A-.

Some M-Diancie sets

AoA

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Fire

Meant as a hole puncher / late game cleaner. Diamond Storm and Moonblast get STAB. Earth Power hits the Steel-types that resist your STABs. Hidden Power Fire OHKOes offensive Scizor on the switch, and 2HKOes Ferrothorn.

CM + 3 Attacks

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature / Naive Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power Fire
- Earth Power / Power Gem / Diamond Storm

Best used to clean late game, Calm Mind boosts Diancie's Special Attack to huge levels. Moonblast is the STAB, having nothing immune to it and possessing good neutral coverage. Hidden Power Fire OHKOes Ferrothorn at +1 and 2HKOes Skarmory without boosts. Earth Power OHKOes Heatran, while Power Gem can be used as a special Rock STAB. Diamond Storm can hit special walls harder, and the defence boost can make Diancie hard to take down without super effective hits.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
yeah, those will be the premier sets. I don't know if Rock Polish will work though. It very well, likely, will.
Anyways, it's gonna be sad seeing Mega T-tar's fall, but I honestly don't see it falling farther than 1 sub rank. Yes, Mega Lopunny outspeeds and ohos even at +1 but like that's it. As we've said, it's not gonna be as good as last gen (who tf moved it to S in oras, imo it's only A), and Fighting as a type has overall just fallen out. It'll be harder then to get free +2 as it is right now, but that won't stop Mega T-Tar from sweeping most defensive teams. Mega Diancie can do a number here: 248 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 206-246 (60.4 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, but T-Tar's gonna hit back hard +1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Stone Edge vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 270-318 (108 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO. So even Mega Diancie can't win. Mega Gallade ofc will beat him up (CC's going to be a OHKO don't contest that) BUT
+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gallade-Mega: 152-179 (54.6 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage.
It can't come in either. BTW all the other megas either lose or are irrelevant anyways. Thus, I only see Mega T-Tar dropping, say, 1 sub rank. The monster's here to stay.

who would use mega t-tar if diancie and lopunny are coming back?
Lopunny's really the only thing MegaTar has to fear, since Diancie has no hope of OHKOing a Meta Tar with Moonblast and will die to a +1 Stone Edge.

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 206-246 (60.4 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs
+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 270-318 (112 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I still think Mega Tar will have a place in the meta despite these two being around.

Lopunny's really the only thing MegaTar has to fear, since Diancie has no hope of OHKOing a Meta Tar with Moonblast and will die to a +1 Stone Edge.

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 206-246 (60.4 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs
+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 270-318 (112 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I still think Mega Tar will have a place in the meta despite these two being around.
specs ash greninja? fightinium z magearna? mega medicham? charizard y? alakazam mega and normal? there are a lot of counters to it. all of those pokemon I just named can 1 hit ko it. the only chance to not kill it is with normal alakazam focus blast.

Last edited:
How does Char-Y counter or check Ttar? It is exactly the opposite, Ttar counters Char-Y, and Char-Y can't safely use Solar Beam safely simply because of Ttar's presence - as Sand Stream removes the sun, so that Char-Y gets stuck in a charge turn, allowing Ttar to kill it with a 4x supereffective STAB Stone Edge.
focus blast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)