LGPE OU Mega Charizard X (Done)

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon

**art is mine**​

[OVERVIEW]

As one of only three Dragon-types in LGPE OU, Mega Charizard X is a powerful offensive threat that can easily spread burns and outpace key threats like Melmetal, Alolan Muk, and unboosted Dragonite. It is also one of the few Fire-types with reliable recovery in Roost, immediately giving it a very favorable matchup against Melmetal, Will-O-Wisp Mew, and Mega Venusaur. However, Mega Charizard X does have a nasty Stealth Rock weakness, especially before it Mega Evolves, meaning it is usually forced to Roost before it can act offensively. Its defensive typing also leaves it vulnerable to common threats such as Rhydon, Alolan Dugtrio, and Dragonite. Furthermore, its lack of any method of boosting its stats leads some teams to prefer Dragonite, which can outspeed threats like Mega Gengar, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Beedrill after one Agility. Mega Charizard X also takes up a Mega Evolution spot for a team, meaning one must sacrifice using another, potentially more threatening Mega Evolution such as Mega Gengar, Mega Aerodactyl, or Mega Beedrill. Mega Charizard X's main competition is in Mew as a burn spreader, but Mega Charizard X does come with much more power as well as a unique STAB combination and defensive typing.

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Roost
item: Charizardite X
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast OHKOes Melmetal while dealing considerable damage to threats like Alolan Muk, Mega Venusaur, and Mew. Dragon Pulse is another STAB move that threatens unboosted Dragonite, as well as dealing more damage to Pokemon that resist Fire Blast, such as Rhydon, Mega Gyarados, Poliwrath, and Starmie on the switch. Will-O-Wisp threatens to cripple physically offensive threats such as Rhydon, Poliwrath, and Mega Aerodactyl. Roost gives Mega Charizard X a form of recovery, keeping it healthy so it can continue spreading burns with Will-O-Wisp. A Timid nature allows Mega Charizard X to be as fast as possible and Speed tie with Mew and Zapdos.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Charizard X should aim to Mega Evolve as soon as possible, especially before Stealth Rock is set. It can accomplish this by forcing switches against Pokemon like Melmetal, Mega Venusaur, and Alolan Exeggutor. From there, it can go for an offensive move or use Roost to heal itself from Stealth Rock damage. If predicting the opponent to bring in Rhydon, Mega Aerodactyl, or Alolan Muk expecting Mega Charizard X to go for an offensive move, it would be a good idea to go for Will-O-Wisp to burn it. While it is by no means a frail Pokemon, Mega Charizard X should ideally be brought in with the help of a pivot like Zapdos or Mew, after a teammate has fainted, or with an aggressive double switch. It can also come in on moves it is immune to or weak, resisted attacks, such as Mew's Will-O-Wisp, Eevee-S's Sizzly Slide, and Zapdos's Thunderbolt. It also should never be afflicted with status conditions; Toxic from Pokemon like Alolan Muk, Rhydon, Poliwrath, Zapdos, and Snorlax puts it on a timer and wears it down further along with Stealth Rock damage, while paralysis from Pokemon like Starmie and Mega Gyarados can cut its Speed and potentially leave it unable to do anything for a turn.

Team Options
========

Despite Mega Charizard X's decent Speed tier, it is still outpaced by prominent threats such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, and Starmie. Bold Starmie can spread paralysis with Thunder Wave, and Eevee-S can run Buzzy Buzz to help circumvent this issue as well as Sparkly Swirl in the case that Mega Charizard X is afflicted with a status condition. Other Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Snorlax can check these revenge killers too. Mega Charizard X absolutely needs an answer to Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon if it is to sweep late-game. Starmie, Poliwrath, and Alolan Exeggutor are good teammates to consider for this role. Physically offensive Pokemon like Melmetal, Rhydon, and Poliwrath can easily punch holes in special walls like Snorlax and Alolan Muk. These Pokemon also benefit from Mega Charizard X's immunity to Will-O-Wisp. Having a teammate that can pivot, such as Zapdos or Mew, would be a good idea, since Mega Charizard X needs to safely come into battle. Zapdos can also directly switch into Earthquake for Mega Charizard X. Pokemon like Dragonite, Snorlax, and Clefable appreciate Mega Charizard X's ability to threaten Melmetal so they can spam their STAB moves more freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A mixed offensive set of Outrage / Fire Blast / Roost / Dragon Pulse could work, as Outrage from Timid Mega Charizard X has a 90% chance to 2HKO Mega Gyarados after Stealth Rock, while it is guaranteed with a Naive or Hasty nature. This set also OHKOes Chansey and 2HKOes Snorlax. However, locking Mega Charizard X into Outrage is not a good idea, as it leaves it unable to check Melmetal, as it can freely switch in and KO Mega Charizard X. This set is also not advised because losing out on Will-O-Wisp takes away from Mega Charizard X's niche, and its attacks will be weaker unless it goes with a Naive or Hasty nature, which lowers Mega Charizard X's bulk quite a bit. Flare Blitz can be considered over Fire Blast thanks to its higher PP and ability to OHKO Chansey and 2HKO Snorlax, but the recoil on top of taking Stealth Rock damage can be nasty, as it deals 70% recoil after KOing Chansey alone. Earthquake is a much safer option than Flare Blitz, as it still 2HKOes Chansey and threatens Alolan Muk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Before Mega Evolving, Mega Charizard X loses half of its health from Stealth Rock, and even after it takes a quarter of its health, limiting its time in battle.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, Starmie, Mega Aerodactyl, and Alolan Dugtrio all threaten to outspeed and KO Mega Charizard X. These Pokemon do not want to directly come into Mega Charizard X and risk taking a massive amount of damage or get burned by Will-O-Wisp, however, and Starmie needs to run Hydro Pump to 2HKO it.

**Status Conditions**: Mega Charizard X's sweep can be cut short by poison from Toxic and paralysis; Toxic puts it on a timer, and paralysis cuts its Speed in half.

**Super Effective Coverage**: Mega Aerodactyl, Rhydon, and Alolan Dugtrio can easily dispatch of Mega Charizard X by exploiting its weaknesses to Rock and Ground. Keep in mind that these Pokemon do not want to directly come into Mega Charizard X and risk being burned by Will-O-Wisp.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Snorlax can take any attack Mega Charizard X uses and threaten it with Toxic or with powerful moves. Snorlax in particular doesn't care about Will-O-Wisp and can retaliate with a very powerful Facade. Chansey also hard walls this set but falls to a mixed set.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[JustoonSmitts, 239732]]
- Quality checked by: [[Theorymon, 29010], [Funbot28, 255984], [Ivy, 173336]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [Rabia, 336073]]

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll give this a check! my comments are in red.

View attachment 170754
**art is mine**​

[OVERVIEW]
  • One of only three Dragon-types in Let's Go OverUsed, Mega Charizard X is a powerful offensive threat with a unique Fire/Dragon type allows it to have a STAB that can easily threaten normal Dragon-checks such as Melmetal and Clefable.
  • Mega Charizard X also boasts very impressive offensive stats and has just enough Speed to tie with Timid Mew, as well as outpace threats like Melmetal, Eevee-Starter, and Dragonite before an Agility.
  • However, Mega Charizard X's does have a nasty Stealth Rock weakness before it Mega Evolves, meaning it is usually forced to Roost before it can act out offensively. It's defensive typing also leaves it vulnerable to common threats such as Rhydon, Alolan Dugtrio, and Dragonite.
  • It also lacks any method of boosting its stats, which is why some teams would prefer Dragonite, which can outspeed threats like Mega Gengar, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Beedrill after one Agility.
  • The biggest fault in using Mega Charizard X is that it takes up a Mega Evolution spot for a team, meaning it would sacrifice using another, more potentially threatening Mega Evolution such as Mega Gengar, Mega Aerodactyl, or Mega Beedrill.
I think I'd change the emphasis of this overview a bit. I think Mega Charizard X's biggest selling point is that its an offensive Pokemon that also does a good job of spreading burns. Now an issue is that it does compete with Mew for this, but Mega Charizard X has more power, and a pretty unique set of STABs and resists that give it a niche.

I'd also emphasize that Mega Charizard X is among the few Fire-types with recovery in Roost, which is rad against Melmetal!

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Fire Blast OHKO's Melmetal while also dealing considerable damage to threats like Alolan Muk, Mega Venusaur, and Alolan Dugtrio on the switch. I'd mention that it deals a lot of damage to Mew too (it does 44%-53%), which can be huge because you could pick off a weakened Mew if you're willing to risk the Speed-tie. Also, not sure I'd mention Alolan Dugtrio here because I don't think most people are gonna switch that into Megazard X in unless they predict a Dragon Pulse or a Roost.
  • Dragon Pulse is another STAB move that threatens Dragonite before boosting, as well as dealing more damage to Pokemon that resist Fire Blast such as Rhydon, Poliwrath, and Starmie on the switch.
  • Will-O-Wisp threatens to cripple physically offensive threats such as Rhydon, Poliwrath, and Mega Aerodactyl.
  • Roost gives Mega Charizard X a form of recovery, keeping it healthy so that it can attempt to sweep. I feel like Mega Charizard X really isn't what I'd call a traditional sweeper, its about as much of a sweeper as Zapdos is really.
  • A Timid Nature allows Mega Charizard X to be as fast as possible. I'd mention that it allows it to speed-tie with Mew and Zapdos, two Pokemon that are possible to pick off with Fire Blast when weakened.
Usage Tips
========
  • Mega Charizard X should aim to Mega Evolve as soon as possible, especially before Stealth Rock is set. It can accomplish this by forcing switches against Pokemon like Melmetal, Mega Venusaur, and Alolan Exeggutor. From there, it can either go for an offensive move or Roost to heal itself from Stealth Rock damage.
  • If the foe pivots in Rhydon, Mega Aerodactyl, or Alolan Muk expecting Mega Charizard X to go for an offensive move, then it would be a good idea to go for Will-O-Wisp to burn them.
  • While it is by no means a frail Pokemon, Mega Charizard X should ideally be brought in with the help of a pivot like Zapdos, after a teammate has fainted, or with an aggressive double switch. It can also come in on weak attacks or moves it resists, like Mew's Will-O-Wisp, Eevee-Starter's Sizzly Slide, or Melmetal's Double Iron Bash.
  • It also should never be afflicted with status conditions: Toxic puts it on a timer and paralysis can cut its Speed and potentially leave it unable to do anything for a turn. I'd mention the common Pokemon that inflcit these conditions. Poliwrath, Zapdos, Rhydon, Snorlax, and Alolan Muk are major users of Toxic, while Starmie and Mega Gyarados are major paralysis spreaders.
Team Options
========
  • Despite Mega Charizard X's decent speed tier, it is still outpaced by prominent threats such as Mega Alakazam, Starmie, and +2 Dragonite. Not sure I'd mention Dragonite. Sure, if Dragonite sets up an Agility, it'll blast Mega Charizard X, but it's really not a good Mega Charizard X check either since it'll take massive damage if it attempts to set up (in fact it has a good shot of being OHKOed by Dragon Pulse after Stealth Rock damage). Bold Starmie can use Thunder Wave and Eevee-Starter can run Buzzy Buzz to help circumvent this issue, as well as Sparkly Swirl in the case that Mega Charizard X is afflicted with paralysis.
  • Mega Charizard X absolutely needs an answer to Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon if it is to sweep late-game. Timid Starmie, Poliwrath, and Gyarados are good teammates to consider for this role. Gyrados can also use Thunder Wave to support Mega Charizard X. I don't think you need to specfically mention that Starmie has to be Timid here.
  • Physically offensive Pokemon like Melmetal, Rhydon, and Alolan Dugtrio can easily punch holes in special walls like Snorlax and Alolan Muk. These Pokemon also benefit from Mega Charizard X's immunity to Will-O-Wisp. I probably wouldn't mention Alolan Dugtrio here, since its mainly focused on setting up Stealth Rock rather than punching holes in stuff.
  • Having a teammate that can pivot such as Zapdos would be a good idea since Mega Charizard X needs to safely come into battle. Zapdos can also directly switch into Earthquake for Mega Charizard X.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Mega Charizard X could run a physically offensive set with a Jolly Nature and a moveset with Flare Blitz / Outrage / Will-O-Wisp / Roost could potentially threaten special walls like Alolan Muk. This set would have a slight edge over Dragonite because Mega Charizard X is immune to burns. However, this set is still outclassed by Dragonite thanks to the latter's access to Agility, which can turn it into a deadly sweeper, and it's because of Agility that it can afford to run an Adamant Nature for more raw power.
  • A defensive set could work thanks to its access to Will-O-Wisp, Recover, and decent defensive typing, but Mega Charizard X's Stealth Rock weakness and vulnerability to threats like Rhydon, Alolan Dugtrio, and Mega Aerodactyl dissuades the use of such a set.
I'd replace the physically offensive mention with the capability to go mixed instead. Timid Outrage 2HKOs Mega Gyarados after Stealth Rock damage 90% of the time (100% of the time if you go with a Naive or Hasty nature), and it OHKOs Chansey and 2HKOs Snorlax. Locking yourself in is a big issue for Mega Charizard X, unchartisticaly making it weak to Melmetal.

You can also mention Flare Blitz since that also OHKOs Chansey (but you take a whopping 70% recoil so you might get yourself killed lol), 2HKOs Snorlax, and it gives you an extra Fire-type move if you run out of PP for Fire Blast.

Big issue with going mixed you need to mention is that lossing out on Will-O-Wisp is a real bummer, and they're gonna be weaker attacks unless you go with Naive or Hasty, which lowers Mega Charizard X's bulk quite a bit.

Also, I'd remove the defensive set mention, because that's pretty much what Mega Charizard X uses, even if it leans on the offensive side.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Before Mega Evolving, Mega Charizard X loses half of its health from Stealth Rock., potentially limiting its time in battle.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, Starmie, Mega Aerodactyl, Alolan Dugtrio, and +2 Dragonite all threaten to outspeed and KO Mega Charizard X. These Pokemon do not want to come in directly into Mega Charizard X and risk taking a massive amount of damage or get burned from Will-O-Wisp. I probably wouldn't mention Dragonite here, since Dragonite itself is not a good answer to Mega Charizard X. Also, might want to mention that Starmie needs Hydro Pump to actually 2HKO Mega Charizard X, That's important, since Dragon Pulse actually 2HKOs Starmie!

**Status Conditions**: Mega Charizard X's sweep can be cut short by poison from Toxic and paralysis: Toxic puts it on a timer and paralysis cuts its speed in half.

**Super-Effective Coverage**: Dragonite, Rhydon, and Alolan Dugtrio can easily dispatch of Mega Charizard X by exploiting its weaknesses to Rock, Ground, and Dragon moves. Dragonite is only a threat after it uses Agility, however. I'd probably remove the Dragonite mention just because Dragonite isn't a great answer to Mega Charizard X.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Snorlax can take any hit Mega Charizard X uses and can threaten it with Toxic or with powerful moves. Snorlax, in particular, doesn't care about Will-O-Wisp and can retaliate with a very powerful Facade. I'd also mention that Chansey walls any non mixed Mega Charizard X.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
Implement this stuff and this will be QC Approved 1/3!

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Green = Add
View attachment 170754
**art is mine**​

[OVERVIEW]
  • As one of only three Dragon-types in Let's Go OverUsed, Mega Charizard X is a powerful offensive threat that can easily spread burns and outpace key threats like Melmetal, Alolan Muk, and Dragonite before Agility.
  • It is also one of the few Fire-types with reliable recovery in Roost, immediately giving it a very favorable matchup against Melmetal. You can expand on this and also detail good matchups against threats such as Mega Venusaur and Will-O-Wisp Mew.
  • However, Mega Charizard X's does have a nasty Stealth Rock weakness before it Mega Evolves, meaning it is usually forced to Roost before it can act out offensively. It's defensive typing also leaves it vulnerable to common threats such as Rhydon, Alolan Dugtrio, and Dragonite.
  • It also lacks any method of boosting its stats, which is why some teams would prefer Dragonite, which can outspeed threats like Mega Gengar, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Beedrill after one Agility.
  • Mega Charizard X also takes up a Mega Evolution spot for a team, meaning it would sacrifice using another, more potentially threatening Mega Evolution such as Mega Gengar, Mega Aerodactyl, or Mega Beedrill.
  • Mega Charizard X's main competition is in Mew as a burn spreader, but Mega Charizard X does come with much more power as well as a unique STAB combination with unique defensive resists.
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Fire Blast OHKO's Melmetal while also dealing considerable damage to threats like Alolan Muk, Mega Venusaur, and Mew.
  • Dragon Pulse is another STAB move that threatens Dragonite before boosting, as well as dealing more damage to Pokemon that resist Fire Blast such as Rhydon, Poliwrath, and Starmie on the switch. Add Mega Gyara here as well.
  • Will-O-Wisp threatens to cripple physically offensive threats such as Rhydon, Poliwrath, and Mega Aerodactyl.
  • Roost gives Mega Charizard X a form of recovery, keeping it healthy so it can continue spreading burns with Will-O-Wisp.
  • A Timid Nature allows Mega Charizard X to be as fast as possible and allows it to speed tie with Mew and Zapdos.
Usage Tips
========
  • Mega Charizard X should aim to Mega Evolve as soon as possible, especially before Stealth Rock is set. It can accomplish this by forcing switches against Pokemon like Melmetal, Mega Venusaur, and Alolan Exeggutor. From there, it can either go for an offensive move or Roost to heal itself from Stealth Rock damage.
  • If the foe pivots in Rhydon, Mega Aerodactyl, or Alolan Muk expecting Mega Charizard X to go for an offensive move, then it would be a good idea to go for Will-O-Wisp to burn them.
  • While it is by no means a frail Pokemon, Mega Charizard X should ideally be brought in with the help of a pivot like Zapdos and Mew, after a teammate has fainted, or with an aggressive double switch. It can also come in on weak attacks or moves it resists, like Mew's Will-O-Wisp, Eevee-Starter's Sizzly Slide, or Melmetal's Double Iron Bash. Hmm I am not sure on switching into Melt as the threat of EQ or Tpunch pre-mega evolution is always there and can easily take out Zard. Replace it with Zapdos Tbolt.
  • It also should never be afflicted with status conditions: Toxic from Pokemon like Alolan Muk, Rhydon, Poliwrath, Zapdos, and Snorlax puts it on a timer, while paralysis from Pokemon like Starmie and Mega Gyarados can cut its Speed and potentially leave it unable to do anything for a turn. Mention Toxic being especially crippling due to it already being heavily chipped by SR.
Team Options
========
  • Despite Mega Charizard X's decent speed tier, it is still outpaced by prominent threats such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, and Starmie. Bold Starmie can use Thunder Wave and Eevee-Starter can run Buzzy Buzz to help circumvent this issue, as well as Sparkly Swirl in the case that Mega Charizard X is afflicted with paralysis.
  • Also add a point for teammates that can check the aforementioned revenge killers, with great examples being Alo-Muk and Snorlax.
  • Mega Charizard X absolutely needs an answer to Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon if it is to sweep late-game. Starmie, Poliwrath, and Gyarados are good teammates to consider for this role. Gyrados can also use Thunder Wave to support Mega Charizard X. Gyarados is honestly not the best example here, replace with Alolan Eggy.
  • Physically offensive Pokemon like Melmetal, Rhydon, and Poliwrath can easily punch holes in special walls like Snorlax and Alolan Muk. These Pokemon also benefit from Mega Charizard X's immunity to Will-O-Wisp.
  • Having a teammate that can pivot such as Zapdos and Mew would be a good idea since Mega Charizard X needs to safely come into battle. Zapdos can also directly switch into Earthquake for Mega Charizard X.
  • Pokemon like Dragonite, Snorlax, and Clefable appreciate Mega Charizard X's ability to threaten Melmetal so that they can spam their STAB moves more freely.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • A mixed offensive set of Outrage / Fire Blast / Roost / Dragon Pulse could work, as Outrage from a Timid Mega Charizard X has a 90% chance to 2HKO Mega Gyarados after Stealth Rock, while Naive and Hasty guarantee it. This set also OHKOs Chansey and 2HKOs Snorlax. However, locking Mega Charizard X into Outrage is not a good idea, as it leaves it unable to check Melmetal. This set is also not advised because losing out on Will-O-Wisp takes away from Mega Charizard X's niche and its attacks will be weaker unless it goes with a Naive or Hasty Nature, which lowers Mega Charizard X's bulk quite a bit.
  • Flare Blitz can be considered thanks to its higher PP than Fire Blast and its ability to OHKO Chansey and 2HKO Snorlax, but the recoil from the move can be nasty, as it deals 70% recoil after KOing Chansey alone. Also not advised as Zard X is being chipped down repeatedly already thanks to hazards chip.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Before Mega Evolving, Mega Charizard X loses half of its health from Stealth Rock., potentially limiting its time in battle. Note that it is still a nuisance post mega-evolution as well.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, Starmie, Mega Aerodactyl, and Alolan Dugtrio all threaten to outspeed and KO Mega Charizard X. These Pokemon do not want to come in directly into Mega Charizard X and risk taking a massive amount of damage or get burned from Will-O-Wisp and Starmie needs to run Hydro Pump to 2HKO Mega Charizard X.

**Status Conditions**: Mega Charizard X's sweep can be cut short by poison from Toxic and paralysis: Toxic puts it on a timer and paralysis cuts its speed in half.

**Super-Effective Coverage**: Mega Aerodactyl, Rhydon, and Alolan Dugtrio can easily dispatch of Mega Charizard X by exploiting its weaknesses to Rock and Ground moves. Keep in mind that these Pokemon do not want to directly come into Mega Charizard X, or risk being burned by Will-O-Wisp.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Snorlax can take any hit Mega Charizard X uses and can threaten it with Toxic or with powerful moves. Snorlax, in particular, doesn't care about Will-O-Wisp and can retaliate with a very powerful Facade. Chansey also hard walls this set but falls to a mixed set.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Theorymon, 29010], [, ], [, ]]
[/QUOTE]

Great job! QC 2/3

QC Stamp.gif

JustoonSmitts

Green = Add
View attachment 170754
**art is mine**​

[OVERVIEW]
  • As one of only three Dragon-types in Let's Go OverUsed, Mega Charizard X is a powerful offensive threat that can easily spread burns and outpace key threats like Melmetal, Alolan Muk, and Dragonite before Agility.
  • It is also one of the few Fire-types with reliable recovery in Roost, immediately giving it a very favorable matchup against Melmetal. You can expand on this and also detail good matchups against threats such as Mega Venusaur and Will-O-Wisp Mew.
  • Mega Charizard X also takes up a Mega Evolution spot for a team, meaning it would sacrifice using another, more potentially threatening Mega Evolution such as Mega Gengar, Mega Aerodactyl, or Mega Beedrill.
  • Mega Charizard X's main competition is in Mew as a burn spreader, but Mega Charizard X does come with much more power as well as a unique STAB combination with unique defensive resists.
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Fire Blast OHKO's Melmetal while also dealing considerable damage to threats like Alolan Muk, Mega Venusaur, and Mew.
  • Dragon Pulse is another STAB move that threatens Dragonite before boosting, as well as dealing more damage to Pokemon that resist Fire Blast such as Rhydon, Poliwrath, and Starmie on the switch. Add Mega Gyara here as well.
  • Roost gives Mega Charizard X a form of recovery, keeping it healthy so it can continue spreading burns with Will-O-Wisp.
  • A Timid Nature allows Mega Charizard X to be as fast as possible and allows it to speed tie with Mew and Zapdos.
Usage Tips
========
  • While it is by no means a frail Pokemon, Mega Charizard X should ideally be brought in with the help of a pivot like Zapdos and Mew, after a teammate has fainted, or with an aggressive double switch. It can also come in on weak attacks or moves it resists, like Mew's Will-O-Wisp, Eevee-Starter's Sizzly Slide, or Melmetal's Double Iron Bash. Hmm I am not sure on switching into Melt as the threat of EQ or Tpunch pre-mega evolution is always there and can easily take out Zard. Replace it with Zapdos Tbolt.
  • It also should never be afflicted with status conditions: Toxic from Pokemon like Alolan Muk, Rhydon, Poliwrath, Zapdos, and Snorlax puts it on a timer, while paralysis from Pokemon like Starmie and Mega Gyarados can cut its Speed and potentially leave it unable to do anything for a turn. Mention Toxic being especially crippling due to it already being heavily chipped by SR.
Team Options
========
  • Despite Mega Charizard X's decent speed tier, it is still outpaced by prominent threats such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, and Starmie. Bold Starmie can use Thunder Wave and Eevee-Starter can run Buzzy Buzz to help circumvent this issue, as well as Sparkly Swirl in the case that Mega Charizard X is afflicted with paralysis.
  • Also add a point for teammates that can check the aforementioned revenge killers, with great examples being Alo-Muk and Snorlax.
  • Mega Charizard X absolutely needs an answer to Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon if it is to sweep late-game. Starmie, Poliwrath, and Gyarados are good teammates to consider for this role. Gyrados can also use Thunder Wave to support Mega Charizard X. Gyarados is honestly not the best example here, replace with Alolan Eggy.
  • Physically offensive Pokemon like Melmetal, Rhydon, and Poliwrath can easily punch holes in special walls like Snorlax and Alolan Muk. These Pokemon also benefit from Mega Charizard X's immunity to Will-O-Wisp.
  • Having a teammate that can pivot such as Zapdos and Mew would be a good idea since Mega Charizard X needs to safely come into battle. Zapdos can also directly switch into Earthquake for Mega Charizard X.
  • Pokemon like Dragonite, Snorlax, and Clefable appreciate Mega Charizard X's ability to threaten Melmetal so that they can spam their STAB moves more freely.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • A mixed offensive set of Outrage / Fire Blast / Roost / Dragon Pulse could work, as Outrage from a Timid Mega Charizard X has a 90% chance to 2HKO Mega Gyarados after Stealth Rock, while Naive and Hasty guarantee it. This set also OHKOs Chansey and 2HKOs Snorlax. However, locking Mega Charizard X into Outrage is not a good idea, as it leaves it unable to check Melmetal. This set is also not advised because losing out on Will-O-Wisp takes away from Mega Charizard X's niche and its attacks will be weaker unless it goes with a Naive or Hasty Nature, which lowers Mega Charizard X's bulk quite a bit.
  • Flare Blitz can be considered thanks to its higher PP than Fire Blast and its ability to OHKO Chansey and 2HKO Snorlax, but the recoil from the move can be nasty, as it deals 70% recoil after KOing Chansey alone. Also not advised as Zard X is being chipped down repeatedly already thanks to hazards chip.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Before Mega Evolving, Mega Charizard X loses half of its health from Stealth Rock., potentially limiting its time in battle. Note that it is still a nuisance post mega-evolution as well.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, Starmie, Mega Aerodactyl, and Alolan Dugtrio all threaten to outspeed and KO Mega Charizard X. These Pokemon do not want to come in directly into Mega Charizard X and risk taking a massive amount of damage or get burned from Will-O-Wisp and Starmie needs to run Hydro Pump to 2HKO Mega Charizard X.

**Super-Effective Coverage**: Mega Aerodactyl, Rhydon, and Alolan Dugtrio can easily dispatch of Mega Charizard X by exploiting its weaknesses to Rock and Ground moves. Keep in mind that these Pokemon do not want to directly come into Mega Charizard X, or risk being burned by Will-O-Wisp.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Snorlax can take any hit Mega Charizard X uses and can threaten it with Toxic or with powerful moves. Snorlax, in particular, doesn't care about Will-O-Wisp and can retaliate with a very powerful Facade. Chansey also hard walls this set but falls to a mixed set.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Theorymon, 29010], [, ], [, ]]

Great job! QC 2/3

View attachment 176981

[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much! Updated and wrote it up.

I recommend talking about the inclusion of Earthquake on the Special set as a possible replacement to Will-o-Wisp. It's a much better alternative to Outrage since it doesn't lock the user in to the attack, and it's way better than Flare Blitz due to the lack of recoil. Even with a Timid nature, it's able to 2HKO Chansey and Alolan Muk, two Pokemon that would give Mega Charizard X trouble otherwise. I'd say it's viable enough to be a slash option behind Will-o-Wisp, but I'll let QC decide.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I'm technically on the QC team woohoo. Bold are my (few at this point) suggestions. Thanks for writing!

View attachment 170754
**art is mine**​

[OVERVIEW]

As one of only three Dragon-types in Let's Go OverUsed, Mega Charizard X is a powerful offensive threat that can easily spread burns and outpace key threats like Melmetal, Alolan Muk, and Dragonite before Agility. It is also one of the few Fire-types with reliable recovery in Roost, immediately giving it a very favorable matchup against Melmetal, Will-O-Wisp Mew, and Mega Venusaur. However, Mega Charizard X's does have a nasty Stealth Rock weakness before it Mega Evolves, meaning it is usually forced to Roost before it can act out offensively. It's defensive typing also leaves it vulnerable to common threats such as Rhydon, Alolan Dugtrio, and Dragonite. It also lacks any method of boosting its stats, which is why some teams would prefer Dragonite, which can outspeed threats like Mega Gengar, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Beedrill after one Agility. Mega Charizard X also takes up a Mega Evolution spot for a team, meaning it would sacrifice using another, more potentially threatening Mega Evolution such as Mega Gengar, Mega Aerodactyl, or Mega Beedrill. Mega Charizard X's main competition is in Mew as a burn spreader, but Mega Charizard X does come with much more power as well as a unique STAB combination with unique defensive resists.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast OHKO's Melmetal while also dealing considerable damage to threats like Alolan Muk, Mega Venusaur, and Mew. Dragon Pulse is another STAB move that threatens Dragonite before boosting, as well as dealing more damage to Pokemon that resist Fire Blast such as Rhydon, Mega Gyarados, Poliwrath, and Starmie on the switch. Will-O-Wisp threatens to cripple physically offensive threats such as Rhydon, Poliwrath, and Mega Aerodactyl. Roost gives Mega Charizard X a form of recovery, keeping it healthy so it can continue spreading burns with Will-O-Wisp. A Timid Nature allows Mega Charizard X to be as fast as possible and allows it to speed tie with Mew and Zapdos.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Charizard X should aim to Mega Evolve as soon as possible, especially before Stealth Rock is set. It can accomplish this by forcing switches against Pokemon like Melmetal, Mega Venusaur, and Alolan Exeggutor. From there, it can either go for an offensive move or Roost to heal itself from Stealth Rock damage. If the foe pivots in Rhydon, Mega Aerodactyl, or Alolan Muk expecting Mega Charizard X to go for an offensive move, then it would be a good idea to go for Will-O-Wisp to burn them. While it is by no means a frail Pokemon, Mega Charizard X should ideally be brought in with the help of a pivot like Zapdos or Mew, after a teammate has fainted, or with an aggressive double switch. It can also come in on weak attacks or moves it resists, like Mew's Will-O-Wisp, Eevee-Starter's Sizzly Slide, or Zapdos' Thunderbolt. It also should never be afflicted with status conditions: Toxic from Pokemon like Alolan Muk, Rhydon, Poliwrath, Zapdos, and Snorlax puts it on a timer and chips it further along with Stealth Rock damage, while paralysis from Pokemon like Starmie and Mega Gyarados can cut its Speed and potentially leave it unable to do anything for a turn.

Team Options
========

Despite Mega Charizard X's decent speed tier, it is still outpaced by prominent threats such as Mega Alakazam, MEga Gengar, and Starmie. Bold Starmie can use Thunder Wave and Eevee-Starter can run Buzzy Buzz to help circumvent this issue, as well as Sparkly Swirl in the case that Mega Charizard X is afflicted with paralysis a status condition (incl. poison). Other Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Snorlax can check these aforementioned revenge killers. Mega Charizard X absolutely needs an answer to Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon if it is to sweep late-game. Starmie, Poliwrath, and Alolan Exeggutor are good teammates to consider for this role. Physically offensive Pokemon like Melmetal, Rhydon, and Poliwrath can easily punch holes in special walls like Snorlax and Alolan Muk. These Pokemon also benefit from Mega Charizard X's immunity to Will-O-Wisp. Having a teammate that can pivot such as Zapdos and Mew would be a good idea since Mega Charizard X needs to safely come into battle. Zapdos can also directly switch into Earthquake for Mega Charizard X. Pokemon like Dragonite, Snorlax, and Clefable appreciate Mega Charizard X's ability to threaten Melmetal so that they can spam their STAB moves more freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A mixed offensive set of Outrage / Fire Blast / Roost / Dragon Pulse could work, as Outrage from a Timid Mega Charizard X has a 90% chance to 2HKO Mega Gyarados after Stealth Rock, while Naive and Hasty guarantee it. This set also OHKOs Chansey and 2HKOs Snorlax. However, locking Mega Charizard X into Outrage is not a good idea, as it leaves it unable to check Melmetal. This set is also not advised because losing out on Will-O-Wisp takes away from Mega Charizard X's niche and its attacks will be weaker unless it goes with a Naive or Hasty Nature, which lowers Mega Charizard X's bulk quite a bit. Flare Blitz can be considered thanks to its higher PP than Fire Blast and its ability to OHKO Chansey and 2HKO Snorlax, but the recoil from the move on top of taking Steakth Rock damage can be nasty, as it deals 70% recoil after KOing Chansey alone. A safer but weaker option that still 2HKOes Chansey and threatens Alolan Muk directly is Earthquake. (thanks for the suggestion Vengeance!)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Before Mega Evolving, Mega Charizard X loses half of its health from Stealth Rock and takes a quarter of its health after it Mega Evolves, limiting its time in battle.

[CREDITS]

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

As one of only three Dragon-types in Let's Go OverUsed, Mega Charizard X is a powerful offensive threat that can easily spread burns and outpace key threats like Melmetal, Alolan Muk, and unboosted Dragonite before Agility. It is also one of the few Fire-types with reliable recovery in Roost, immediately giving it a very favorable matchup against Melmetal, Will-O-Wisp Mew, and Mega Venusaur. However, Mega Charizard X's does have a nasty Stealth Rock weakness especially before it Mega Evolves, meaning it is usually forced to Roost before it can act out offensively. It's Its defensive typing also leaves it vulnerable to common threats such as Rhydon, Alolan Dugtrio, and Dragonite. Furthermore, its lack of It also lacks any method of boosting its stats, which is why leads some teams would to prefer Dragonite, which can outspeed threats like Mega Gengar, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Beedrill after one Agility. Mega Charizard X also takes up a Mega Evolution spot for a team, meaning it would sacrifice using another, more potentially threatening Mega Evolution such as Mega Gengar, Mega Aerodactyl, or Mega Beedrill. Mega Charizard X's main competition is in Mew as a burn spreader, but Mega Charizard X does come with much more power as well as a unique STAB combination with unique defensive resists and defensive typing.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast OHKO's OHKOes Melmetal while also dealing considerable damage to threats like Alolan Muk, Mega Venusaur, and Mew. Dragon Pulse is another STAB move that threatens unboosted Dragonite before boosting, as well as dealing more damage to Pokemon that resist Fire Blast such as Rhydon, Mega Gyarados, Poliwrath, and Starmie on the switch. Will-O-Wisp threatens to cripple physically offensive threats such as Rhydon, Poliwrath, and Mega Aerodactyl. Roost gives Mega Charizard X a form of recovery, keeping it healthy so it can continue spreading burns with Will-O-Wisp. A Timid nature allows Mega Charizard X to be as fast as possible and allows it to Speed tie with Mew and Zapdos.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Charizard X should aim to Mega Evolve as soon as possible, especially before Stealth Rock is set. It can accomplish this by forcing switches against Pokemon like Melmetal, Mega Venusaur, and Alolan Exeggutor. From there, it can either go for an offensive move or use Roost to heal itself from Stealth Rock damage. If the foe pivots opponent brings in Rhydon, Mega Aerodactyl, or Alolan Muk expecting Mega Charizard X to go for an offensive move, then it would be a good idea to go for Will-O-Wisp to burn them. While it is by no means a frail Pokemon, Mega Charizard X should ideally be brought in with the help of a pivot like Zapdos or Mew, after a teammate has fainted, or with an aggressive double switch. It can also come in on weak attacks or moves it resists, like Mew's Will-O-Wisp, Eevee-Starter's Eevee-S's Sizzly Slide, or Zapdos' and Zapdos's Thunderbolt. It also should never be afflicted with status conditions: Toxic from Pokemon like Alolan Muk, Rhydon, Poliwrath, Zapdos, and Snorlax puts it on a timer and chips it wears it down further along with Stealth Rock damage, while paralysis from Pokemon like Starmie and Mega Gyarados can cut its Speed and potentially leave it unable to do anything for a turn.

Team Options
========

Despite Mega Charizard X's decent Speed tier, it is still outpaced by prominent threats such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, and Starmie. Bold Starmie can use spread paralysis with Thunder Wave, (AC) and Eevee-Starter Eevee-S can run Buzzy Buzz to help circumvent this issue, as well as Sparkly Swirl in the case that Mega Charizard X is afflicted with a status condition. Other Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Snorlax can check these aforementioned revenge killers too. Mega Charizard X absolutely needs an answer to Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon if it is to sweep late-game. Starmie, Poliwrath, and Alolan Exeggutor are good teammates to consider for this role. Physically offensive Pokemon like Melmetal, Rhydon, and Poliwrath can easily punch holes in special walls like Snorlax and Alolan Muk. These Pokemon also benefit from Mega Charizard X's immunity to Will-O-Wisp. Having a teammate that can pivot such as Zapdos and Mew would be a good idea, (AC) since Mega Charizard X needs to safely come into battle. Zapdos can also directly switch into Earthquake for Mega Charizard X. Pokemon like Dragonite, Snorlax, and Clefable appreciate Mega Charizard X's ability to threaten Melmetal so that they can spam their STAB moves more freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A mixed offensive set of Outrage / Fire Blast / Roost / Dragon Pulse could work, as Outrage from a Timid Mega Charizard X has a 90% chance to 2HKO Mega Gyarados after Stealth Rock, while Naive and Hasty it is guaranteed it with a Naive or Hasty nature. This set also OHKOs OHKOes Chansey and 2HKOs 2HKOes Snorlax. However, locking Mega Charizard X into Outrage is not a good idea, as it leaves it unable to check Melmetal. This set is also not advised, (AC) because losing out on Will-O-Wisp takes away from Mega Charizard X's niche, (AC) and its attacks will be weaker unless it goes with a Naive or Hasty Nature, which lowers Mega Charizard X's bulk quite a bit. Flare Blitz can be considered over Fire Blast thanks to its higher PP than Fire Blast and its ability to OHKO Chansey and 2HKO Snorlax, but the recoil from the move on top of taking Steakth Stealth Rock damage can be nasty, as it deals 70% recoil after KOing Chansey alone. Earthquake is a much safer option than Flare Blitz, as it still 2HKO's 2HKOes Chansey and threatens Alolan Muk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Before Mega Evolving, Mega Charizard X loses half of its health from Stealth Rock, (AC) and even after it takes a quarter of its health after it Mega Evolves, limiting its time in battle.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, Starmie, Mega Aerodactyl, and Alolan Dugtrio all threaten to outspeed and KO Mega Charizard X. These Pokemon do not want to come in directly into Mega Charizard X and risk taking a massive amount of damage or get burned from Will-O-Wisp, (AC) and Starmie needs to run Hydro Pump to 2HKO Mega Charizard X.

**Status Conditions**: Mega Charizard X's sweep can be cut short by poison from Toxic and paralysis; (SC) Toxic puts it on a timer, (AC) and paralysis cuts its speed in half.

**Super Effective (RH) Coverage**: Mega Aerodactyl, Rhydon, and Alolan Dugtrio can easily dispatch of Mega Charizard X by exploiting its weaknesses to Rock and Ground moves. Keep in mind that these Pokemon do not want to directly come into Mega Charizard X (RC) or risk being burned by Will-O-Wisp.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Theorymon, 29010], [Funbot28, 255984], [, ]]

JustoonSmitts

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

As one of only three Dragon-types in Let's Go OverUsed, Mega Charizard X is a powerful offensive threat that can easily spread burns and outpace key threats like Melmetal, Alolan Muk, and unboosted Dragonite. It is also one of the few Fire-types with reliable recovery in Roost, immediately giving it a very favorable matchup against Melmetal, Will-O-Wisp Mew, and Mega Venusaur. However, Mega Charizard X does have a nasty Stealth Rock weakness especially before it Mega Evolves, meaning it is usually forced to Roost before it can act out offensively. Its defensive typing also leaves it vulnerable to common threats such as Rhydon, Alolan Dugtrio, and Dragonite. Furthermore, its lack of any method of boosting its stats leads some teams to prefer Dragonite, which can outspeed threats like Mega Gengar, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Beedrill after one Agility. Mega Charizard X also takes up a Mega Evolution spot for a team, meaning it would sacrifice using another, more potentially threatening Mega Evolution such as Mega Gengar, Mega Aerodactyl, or Mega Beedrill. Mega Charizard X's main competition is in Mew as a burn spreader, but Mega Charizard X does come with much more power as well as a unique STAB combination and defensive typing.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast OHKOes Melmetal while also dealing considerable damage to threats like Alolan Muk, Mega Venusaur, and Mew. Dragon Pulse is another STAB move that threatens unboosted Dragonite as well as dealing more damage to Pokemon that resist Fire Blast such as Rhydon, Mega Gyarados, Poliwrath, and Starmie on the switch. Will-O-Wisp threatens to cripple physically offensive threats such as Rhydon, Poliwrath, and Mega Aerodactyl. Roost gives Mega Charizard X a form of recovery, keeping it healthy so it can continue spreading burns with Will-O-Wisp. A Timid nature allows Mega Charizard X to be as fast as possible and Speed tie with Mew and Zapdos.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Charizard X should aim to Mega Evolve as soon as possible, especially before Stealth Rock is set. It can accomplish this by forcing switches against Pokemon like Melmetal, Mega Venusaur, and Alolan Exeggutor. From there, it can either go for an offensive move or use Roost to heal itself from Stealth Rock damage. If the opponent brings in Rhydon, Mega Aerodactyl, or Alolan Muk expecting Mega Charizard X to go for an offensive move, it would be a good idea to go for Will-O-Wisp to burn them. While it is by no means a frail Pokemon, Mega Charizard X should ideally be brought in with the help of a pivot like Zapdos or Mew, after a teammate has fainted, or with an aggressive double switch. It can also come in on weak attacks or moves it resists, like Mew's Will-O-Wisp, Eevee-S's Sizzly Slide, and Zapdos's Thunderbolt. It also should never be afflicted with status conditions: Toxic from Pokemon like Alolan Muk, Rhydon, Poliwrath, Zapdos, and Snorlax puts it on a timer and wears it down further along with Stealth Rock damage, while paralysis from Pokemon like Starmie and Mega Gyarados can cut its Speed and potentially leave it unable to do anything for a turn.

Team Options
========

Despite Mega Charizard X's decent Speed tier, it is still outpaced by prominent threats such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, and Starmie. Bold Starmie can spread paralysis with Thunder Wave, and Eevee-S can run Buzzy Buzz to help circumvent this issue, as well as Sparkly Swirl in the case that Mega Charizard X is afflicted with a status condition. Other Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Snorlax can check these revenge killers too. Mega Charizard X absolutely needs an answer to Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon if it is to sweep late-game. Starmie, Poliwrath, and Alolan Exeggutor are good teammates to consider for this role. Physically offensive Pokemon like Melmetal, Rhydon, and Poliwrath can easily punch holes in special walls like Snorlax and Alolan Muk. These Pokemon also benefit from Mega Charizard X's immunity to Will-O-Wisp. Having a teammate that can pivot such as Zapdos and Mew would be a good idea, since Mega Charizard X needs to safely come into battle. Zapdos can also directly switch into Earthquake for Mega Charizard X. Pokemon like Dragonite, Snorlax, and Clefable appreciate Mega Charizard X's ability to threaten Melmetal so that they can spam their STAB moves more freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A mixed offensive set of Outrage / Fire Blast / Roost / Dragon Pulse could work, as Outrage from a Timid Mega Charizard X has a 90% chance to 2HKO Mega Gyarados after Stealth Rock, while it is guaranteed with a Naive or Hasty nature. This set also OHKOes Chansey and 2HKOes Snorlax. However, locking Mega Charizard X into Outrage is not a good idea, as it leaves it unable to check Melmetal. This set is also not advised, because losing out on Will-O-Wisp takes away from Mega Charizard X's niche, and its attacks will be weaker unless it goes with a Naive or Hasty Nature, which lowers Mega Charizard X's bulk quite a bit. Flare Blitz can be considered over Fire Blast thanks to its higher PP and ability to OHKO Chansey and 2HKO Snorlax, but the recoil on top of taking Stealth Rock damage can be nasty, as it deals 70% recoil after KOing Chansey alone. Earthquake is a much safer option than Flare Blitz, as it still 2HKOes Chansey and threatens Alolan Muk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Before Mega Evolving, Mega Charizard X loses half of its health from Stealth Rock, and even after it takes a quarter of its health, limiting its time in battle.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, Starmie, Mega Aerodactyl, and Alolan Dugtrio all threaten to outspeed and KO Mega Charizard X. These Pokemon do not want to come in directly into Mega Charizard X and risk taking a massive amount of damage or get burned from Will-O-Wisp, and Starmie needs to run Hydro Pump to 2HKO Mega Charizard X.

**Status Conditions**: Mega Charizard X's sweep can be cut short by poison from Toxic and paralysis; Toxic puts it on a timer, and paralysis cuts its speed in half.

**Super Effective Coverage**: Mega Aerodactyl, Rhydon, and Alolan Dugtrio can easily dispatch of Mega Charizard X by exploiting its weaknesses to Rock and Ground moves. Keep in mind that these Pokemon do not want to directly come into Mega Charizard X or risk being burned by Will-O-Wisp.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Theorymon, 29010], [Funbot28, 255984], [, ]]
Thank you, The Dutch Plumberjack! Implemented.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
[OVERVIEW]

As one of only three Dragon-types in Let's Go OverUsed LGPE OU, Mega Charizard X is a powerful offensive threat that can easily spread burns and outpace key threats like Melmetal, Alolan Muk, and unboosted Dragonite. It is also one of the few Fire-types with reliable recovery in Roost, immediately giving it a very favorable matchup against Melmetal, Will-O-Wisp Mew, and Mega Venusaur. However, Mega Charizard X does have a nasty Stealth Rock weakness,(AC) especially before it Mega Evolves, meaning it is usually forced to Roost before it can act out offensively. Its defensive typing also leaves it vulnerable to common threats such as Rhydon, Alolan Dugtrio, and Dragonite. Furthermore, its lack of any method of boosting its stats leads some teams to prefer Dragonite, which can outspeed threats like Mega Gengar, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Beedrill after one Agility. Mega Charizard X also takes up a Mega Evolution spot for a team, meaning it would one must sacrifice using another, potentially more potentially threatening Mega Evolution such as Mega Gengar, Mega Aerodactyl, or Mega Beedrill. Mega Charizard X's main competition is in Mew as a burn spreader, but Mega Charizard X does come with much more power as well as a unique STAB combination and defensive typing.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast OHKOes Melmetal while also dealing considerable damage to threats like Alolan Muk, Mega Venusaur, and Mew. Dragon Pulse is another STAB move that threatens unboosted Dragonite,(AC) as well as dealing more damage to Pokemon that resist Fire Blast,(AC) such as Rhydon, Mega Gyarados, Poliwrath, and Starmie on the switch. Will-O-Wisp threatens to cripple physically offensive threats such as Rhydon, Poliwrath, and Mega Aerodactyl. Roost gives Mega Charizard X a form of recovery, keeping it healthy so it can continue spreading burns with Will-O-Wisp. A Timid nature allows Mega Charizard X to be as fast as possible and Speed tie with Mew and Zapdos.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Charizard X should aim to Mega Evolve as soon as possible, especially before Stealth Rock is set. It can accomplish this by forcing switches against Pokemon like Melmetal, Mega Venusaur, and Alolan Exeggutor. From there, it can either go for an offensive move or use Roost to heal itself from Stealth Rock damage (but you noted the sentence prior that you should Mega Evolve before Stealth Rock is set. I get that it's not necessarily possible to every game, but it's kind of weird to make the assumption that Mega Charizard X will have taken Stealth Rock damage after just saying to avoid having this happen). If predicting the opponent brings to bring (I think this is what you meant) in Rhydon, Mega Aerodactyl, or Alolan Muk expecting Mega Charizard X to go for an offensive move, it would be a good idea to go for Will-O-Wisp to burn them it. While it is by no means a frail Pokemon, Mega Charizard X should ideally be brought in with the help of a pivot like Zapdos or Mew, after a teammate has fainted, or with an aggressive double switch. It can also come in on weak attacks or moves it resists moves it is immune to or weak, resisted attacks, like such Mew's Will-O-Wisp, Eevee-S's Sizzly Slide, and Zapdos's Thunderbolt. It also should never be afflicted with status conditions;(colon -> semicolon) Toxic from Pokemon like Alolan Muk, Rhydon, Poliwrath, Zapdos, and Snorlax puts it on a timer and wears it down further along with Stealth Rock damage, while paralysis from Pokemon like Starmie and Mega Gyarados can cut its Speed and potentially leave it unable to do anything for a turn.

Team Options
========

Despite Mega Charizard X's decent Speed tier, it is still outpaced by prominent threats such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, and Starmie. Bold Starmie can spread paralysis with Thunder Wave, and Eevee-S can run Buzzy Buzz to help circumvent this issue,(RC) as well as Sparkly Swirl in the case that Mega Charizard X is afflicted with a status condition. Other Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Snorlax can check these revenge killers too. Mega Charizard X absolutely needs an answer to Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon if it is to sweep late-game. Starmie, Poliwrath, and Alolan Exeggutor are good teammates to consider for this role. Physically offensive Pokemon like Melmetal, Rhydon, and Poliwrath can easily punch holes in special walls like Snorlax and Alolan Muk. These Pokemon also benefit from Mega Charizard X's immunity to Will-O-Wisp. Having a teammate that can pivot,(AC) such as Zapdos and or Mew,(AC) would be a good idea, since Mega Charizard X needs to safely come into battle. Zapdos can also directly switch into Earthquake for Mega Charizard X. Pokemon like Dragonite, Snorlax, and Clefable appreciate Mega Charizard X's ability to threaten Melmetal so that they can spam their STAB moves more freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A mixed offensive set of Outrage / Fire Blast / Roost / Dragon Pulse could work, as Outrage from a Timid Mega Charizard X has a 90% chance to 2HKO Mega Gyarados after Stealth Rock, while it is guaranteed with a Naive or Hasty nature. This set also OHKOes Chansey and 2HKOes Snorlax. However, locking Mega Charizard X into Outrage is not a good idea, as it leaves it unable to check Melmetal (isn't it more that Melmetal can freely switch in and bop Mega Charizard X with Outrage?). This set is also not advised,(RC) because losing out on Will-O-Wisp takes away from Mega Charizard X's niche, and its attacks will be weaker unless it goes with a Naive or Hasty Nature nature, which lowers Mega Charizard X's bulk quite a bit. Flare Blitz can be considered over Fire Blast thanks to its higher PP and ability to OHKO Chansey and 2HKO Snorlax, but the recoil on top of taking Stealth Rock damage can be nasty, as it deals 70% recoil after KOing Chansey alone. Earthquake is a much safer option than Flare Blitz, as it still 2HKOes Chansey and threatens Alolan Muk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, Starmie, Mega Aerodactyl, and Alolan Dugtrio all threaten to outspeed and KO Mega Charizard X. These Pokemon do not want to directly come in directly into Mega Charizard X and risk taking a massive amount of damage or get burned from by Will-O-Wisp,(AC) however, and Starmie needs to run Hydro Pump to 2HKO Mega Charizard X it.

**Status Conditions**: Mega Charizard X's sweep can be cut short by poison from Toxic and paralysis; Toxic puts it on a timer, and paralysis cuts its speed Speed in half.

**Super Effective Coverage**: Mega Aerodactyl, Rhydon, and Alolan Dugtrio can easily dispatch of Mega Charizard X by exploiting its weaknesses to Rock and Ground moves. Keep in mind that these Pokemon do not want to directly come into Mega Charizard X or and risk being burned by Will-O-Wisp.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Snorlax can take any hit attack Mega Charizard X uses and can threaten it with Toxic or with powerful moves. Snorlax,(RC) in particular,(RC) doesn't care about Will-O-Wisp and can retaliate with a very powerful Facade. Chansey also hard walls this set but falls to a mixed set.

[CREDITS]

gp 2/2 once done

JustoonSmitts

[OVERVIEW]

As one of only three Dragon-types in LGPE OU, Mega Charizard X is a powerful offensive threat that can easily spread burns and outpace key threats like Melmetal, Alolan Muk, and unboosted Dragonite. It is also one of the few Fire-types with reliable recovery in Roost, immediately giving it a very favorable matchup against Melmetal, Will-O-Wisp Mew, and Mega Venusaur. However, Mega Charizard X does have a nasty Stealth Rock weakness, especially before it Mega Evolves, meaning it is usually forced to Roost before it can act offensively. Its defensive typing also leaves it vulnerable to common threats such as Rhydon, Alolan Dugtrio, and Dragonite. Furthermore, its lack of any method of boosting its stats leads some teams to prefer Dragonite, which can outspeed threats like Mega Gengar, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Beedrill after one Agility. Mega Charizard X also takes up a Mega Evolution spot for a team, meaning one must sacrifice using another, potentially more threatening Mega Evolution such as Mega Gengar, Mega Aerodactyl, or Mega Beedrill. Mega Charizard X's main competition is in Mew as a burn spreader, but Mega Charizard X does come with much more power as well as a unique STAB combination and defensive typing.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast OHKOes Melmetal while dealing considerable damage to threats like Alolan Muk, Mega Venusaur, and Mew. Dragon Pulse is another STAB move that threatens unboosted Dragonite, as well as dealing more damage to Pokemon that resist Fire Blast, such as Rhydon, Mega Gyarados, Poliwrath, and Starmie on the switch. Will-O-Wisp threatens to cripple physically offensive threats such as Rhydon, Poliwrath, and Mega Aerodactyl. Roost gives Mega Charizard X a form of recovery, keeping it healthy so it can continue spreading burns with Will-O-Wisp. A Timid nature allows Mega Charizard X to be as fast as possible and Speed tie with Mew and Zapdos.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Charizard X should aim to Mega Evolve as soon as possible, especially before Stealth Rock is set. It can accomplish this by forcing switches against Pokemon like Melmetal, Mega Venusaur, and Alolan Exeggutor. From there, it can go for an offensive move or use Roost to heal itself from Stealth Rock damage. If predicting the opponent to bring in Rhydon, Mega Aerodactyl, or Alolan Muk expecting Mega Charizard X to go for an offensive move, it would be a good idea to go for Will-O-Wisp to burn it. While it is by no means a frail Pokemon, Mega Charizard X should ideally be brought in with the help of a pivot like Zapdos or Mew, after a teammate has fainted, or with an aggressive double switch. It can also come in on moves it is immune to or weak, resisted attacks, such as Mew's Will-O-Wisp, Eevee-S's Sizzly Slide, and Zapdos's Thunderbolt. It also should never be afflicted with status conditions; Toxic from Pokemon like Alolan Muk, Rhydon, Poliwrath, Zapdos, and Snorlax puts it on a timer and wears it down further along with Stealth Rock damage, while paralysis from Pokemon like Starmie and Mega Gyarados can cut its Speed and potentially leave it unable to do anything for a turn.

Team Options
========

Despite Mega Charizard X's decent Speed tier, it is still outpaced by prominent threats such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, and Starmie. Bold Starmie can spread paralysis with Thunder Wave, and Eevee-S can run Buzzy Buzz to help circumvent this issue as well as Sparkly Swirl in the case that Mega Charizard X is afflicted with a status condition. Other Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Snorlax can check these revenge killers too. Mega Charizard X absolutely needs an answer to Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon if it is to sweep late-game. Starmie, Poliwrath, and Alolan Exeggutor are good teammates to consider for this role. Physically offensive Pokemon like Melmetal, Rhydon, and Poliwrath can easily punch holes in special walls like Snorlax and Alolan Muk. These Pokemon also benefit from Mega Charizard X's immunity to Will-O-Wisp. Having a teammate that can pivot, such as Zapdos or Mew, would be a good idea, since Mega Charizard X needs to safely come into battle. Zapdos can also directly switch into Earthquake for Mega Charizard X. Pokemon like Dragonite, Snorlax, and Clefable appreciate Mega Charizard X's ability to threaten Melmetal so they can spam their STAB moves more freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A mixed offensive set of Outrage / Fire Blast / Roost / Dragon Pulse could work, as Outrage from Timid Mega Charizard X has a 90% chance to 2HKO Mega Gyarados after Stealth Rock, while it is guaranteed with a Naive or Hasty nature. This set also OHKOes Chansey and 2HKOes Snorlax. However, locking Mega Charizard X into Outrage is not a good idea, as it leaves it unable to check Melmetal, as it can freely switch in and KO Mega Charizard X. This set is also not advised because losing out on Will-O-Wisp takes away from Mega Charizard X's niche, and its attacks will be weaker unless it goes with a Naive or Hasty nature, which lowers Mega Charizard X's bulk quite a bit. Flare Blitz can be considered over Fire Blast thanks to its higher PP and ability to OHKO Chansey and 2HKO Snorlax, but the recoil on top of taking Stealth Rock damage can be nasty, as it deals 70% recoil after KOing Chansey alone. Earthquake is a much safer option than Flare Blitz, as it still 2HKOes Chansey and threatens Alolan Muk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Alakazam, Mega Gengar, Starmie, Mega Aerodactyl, and Alolan Dugtrio all threaten to outspeed and KO Mega Charizard X. These Pokemon do not want to directly come into Mega Charizard X and risk taking a massive amount of damage or get burned by Will-O-Wisp, however, and Starmie needs to run Hydro Pump to 2HKO it.

**Status Conditions**: Mega Charizard X's sweep can be cut short by poison from Toxic and paralysis; Toxic puts it on a timer, and paralysis cuts its Speed in half.

**Super Effective Coverage**: Mega Aerodactyl, Rhydon, and Alolan Dugtrio can easily dispatch of Mega Charizard X by exploiting its weaknesses to Rock and Ground. Keep in mind that these Pokemon do not want to directly come into Mega Charizard X and risk being burned by Will-O-Wisp.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Snorlax can take any attack Mega Charizard X uses and threaten it with Toxic or with powerful moves. Snorlax in particular doesn't care about Will-O-Wisp and can retaliate with a very powerful Facade. Chansey also hard walls this set but falls to a mixed set.

[CREDITS]

gp 2/2 once done
Thank you, everyone. This is ready to upload.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)