SM Doubles OU Leads with Synergy (peaked Top 25)

I’ve been competitively building now for about 3 years I wanna say. I have a ridiculous amount of throw away teams it’s overwhelming at times. This team in particular kind of unearthed itself from a couple months back. I was getting a little bored of OU with (up until recently) Naganadel ruining nice things for everyone, so I decided to switch to Doubles for a while and found this gem, and with some tweaking, realized that I’ve got quite a boss team on my hands.

It started out by me wanting to have a counter to TR because that’s all I seem to see in doubles and for good reason-it’s one of the hardest play styles to counter. However after devising an anti trick room team, i realized i wanted to build a completely anti-meta team. I wanted to counter weather, TR, stall, HO and bulky offense all in one and after some serious consideration i think i have that team. So without further ado:

View attachment 91911
Fabio (Ninetales-Alola) (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 128 HP / 40 Def / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Encore
- Aurora Veil
- Protect

My general go to lead - a pretty straightforward A-Ninetales. Light Clay keeps up my veil for a whopping eight turns instead of five (however, I’m tempted to switch it to a sash), upping the bulk of my team tremendously. Blizzard for spread STAB, Protect for spread damage and Encore to stop any set up sweepers trying to get past my veil. The EVs allow him to tank a Double Edge from Mega Salamence before the veil.

View attachment 91913
Roy (Tapu Lele) @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Taunt

Tapu Lele is a good pair to lead with my Ninetales for a couple reason. I know their shared Steel and Poison (both pretty uncommon attacking types) might be causing some caution however, good ol’ Lele’s Psychic Terrain is a huuuuge help to my whole team and you’ll eventually see why. Leading with my ninetales, it protects my pokes from any Fake Outs, Bullet Punches or Water Shurikens, ensuring a surefire Veil to be placed. Obligatory STAB moves with a modest nature let’s Lele hit like a truck. Taunt is for the oh so dreaded trick room. Speaking of trick room:

View attachment 91914
DNGAY (Deoxys-Attack) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Protect

My second poke I lead with Lele. Everybody knows the dreaded Lele/Deoxy combo. Modest nature Psycho Boost OHKOs pretty much anything that doesn’t resist and dents hard those that do. I always, always lead with this combo if I sense a TR team. Knock Off gets rid of those mental herbs and Eviolites paired with Leles taunt shuts down any first attempt at setting up TR. Superpower is for netting surprise KOs on TTar and Stakataka. Aside from a lead, Deoxys is a fantastic late game cleaner.

View attachment 91912

Icky Vicky (Mandibuzz) @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Taunt
- Foul Play

This is the part of the team where things get interesting. Psychic Seed boosts her SpDef by one stage, and when combined under Aurora Veil, this thing becomes a wall from Hell. For instance, LO Tapu Koko’s Thunderbolt is a 4HKO, not taking into account it can roost off any damage. Typically, if the Terrain, or Veil is up, I’ll switch in my Mandibuzz on pretty much anything it doesn’t take Super Effective damage from. After that, I get my Tailwind up and I have a fast, super defensive stallbreaker. Overcoat allows it to come in and not worry about hail damage or any spore or powder moves the opponent may throw my way.

View attachment 91915
Regular Charizard (Charizard-Mega-Y) (F) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam

My second tailwinder and second weather resetter. This thing does wonders with wall breaking, under a veil and tailwind, your opponent is guaranteed to lose at least two Pokémon to this thing. Modest nature under the sun, makes her Heat Wave the most powerful spread damage move in the meta right now. Solarbeam is for OHKO or 2HKOing most water types. He combined with my next Pokémon are my anti-weather leads.

View attachment 91916
Vapelord (Volcanion) @ Firium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Wave
- Protect

Woah, Eric why’d you pick Volcanion over Arcanine?!!? Because I wanted something that could do some destructive wall breaking under the sun, but also utilize an opponents rain team against them since that has, is, and always will be the most used weather gimmick in the meta. I chose Fire Blast over Heat Wave because Zard already has a spread move and I didn’t want to be Walled completely by Wide Guard. Also, FB provides a stronger Inferno Overdrive in the sun. Just a show of power, Volcanion has a 25% of OHKOing Cresselia under the sun-guaranteed 2HKO. Steam Eruption is a nuke under rain and just a nuke in general to the Landos and Heatrans of the world. Sludge Wave is kind of a filler move for me, i really only use it for spread fairies so I’m still tweaking that.

But that’s the team! I’m open to critiques, comments, questions etc etc. I’ll attach some replays at the bottom so you can see it in action.

Against a rain team: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-668817026

Against Trick Room:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-668527794

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)