SM OU La Familia - Aurora Veil Hyper Offense (Qualified for OLT, peaked #1, peaked 2170)

Image Source

Introduction
Aurora Veil has been criminally underrated for most of SM. When Valentine wrote up "Force of Nature", he chronicled how Zard-Y in ORAS transformed itself from a decent pick to an amazing cookie-cutter playstyle. Similarly, as SM OU has evolved, Aurora Veil has finally broken out as one of the best HO playstyles. I'm here to describe three of my favorite versions of Aurora Veil.

The Teams

Teambuilding Process

Zygarde and Magearna were two of the breakout sweepers following Mega Metagross's ban. Dual Dance Zygarde and Dual Dance Magearna just ran through much of the metagame, and I realized they'd have an amazing time setting up with Aurora Veil Support from Ninetales. DD Mega-Tyranitar was recently released, so I decided it would synergize well as a third set-up sweeper. Z-Rain Dance Manaphy was added to deal with fatter teams and stall, as well as a Stealth Rock + Earth Plate Lando.

A week or so later, I showed the build to my friend njnp , and he suggested Vincune > Manaphy, as well as Z-Fly Smack Down Lando. This build was really fun, and passed around a few times.

These were largely the two main versions for several weeks, being passed around in WCOP Playoffs (although the team was copied incorrectly, so I wanted to set it straight here), and the ladder, peaking 92.7 GXE and well into the 2000s. But Recently, a week or so before OLT started, I was testing the stall matchup with my friend sedertz and realized I needed to improve the stall matchup before OLT began if I wanted a truly successful ladder team. TDK / US East Stall had recently been popularized, and I didn't want issues versus it. I got the idea to use a different mega, as the DD Mega-Tyranitar hype had largely died down (although it's still a good pokemon). I tweaked the Landorus-T moveset slightly, and I was good to go.

Team Analysis

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-
Aurora Veil
-
Hail
-
Freeze Dry
-
Hypnosis

Ninetales is absolutely essential to the team - Why Ninetales is being used on an "Aurora Veil Team" needs exactly 0 explanation. Instead, I'll briefly explain the moves. Aurora Veil is, again, obvious. While Some Ninetales have opted for dual STAB or even Blizzard alone, I found the extra power largely unnecessary for a Pokemon intended to be pure support, and Freeze-Dry, while only being 70 BP, nails Rain which was incredibly prevalent during this teams dominance. Hail was originally HP Fire, but it was so pitifully weak and Hail substantially improved the Zard-Y matchup. Hypnosis was not quite standard when this team when it was built, but the ability to incapacitate a Pokemon like Heatran made games incredibly easy by switching hard into the Pokemon Heatran is needed to check, typically Magearna. Many opponents will usually switch out into something Magearna can abuse under Veil, and even if they stay in Magearna sets up on a sleeping Heatran under Veil regardless.

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-
Ice Beam
-
Thunderbolt
-
Shift Gear
-
Calm Mind

Double Dance Magearna and Zygarde were always the focus of this team. They are incredibly potent under veil, blowing through many Pokemon that can normally get away with switching into them. The moveset is incredibly explanatory, although one could conceivably experiment with Fleur + Focus Magearna. Such a set is largely unnecessary, as Heatran is not a significant threat under veil.

Zygarde @ Figy Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-
Thousand Arrows
-
Extreme Speed
-
Dragon Dance
-
Coil

The Hutch to Magearna's Starsky, Double Dance Zygarde finds free set-up 1v1 opportunities against the Pokemon that like to threaten the other sweepers of the team. A word of note - if Zygarde just sets up on a Mega Charizard Y and wins, don't bring it in directly on the Charizard-Y. While identifying your win conditions is a general skill in Pokemon, it's especially important with this team, as sacking Pokemon to bring in the sweeper that 6-0s the opposing team safely happens practically every game. Figy is an amazing item thats incredibly easy to activate with Aurora Veil and Coil, especially since choosing to Coil or DD lets you influence how much damage the opponent does. Zygarde can often even set up on a Bulu Switch-in, thanks to Figy, Coil, and Grassy Terrain.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
-
Stone Edge
-
Fire Punch
-
Ice Punch
-
Dragon Dance

DD Mega Tyranitar was a former member of the team. While it improved the matchup against certain Pokemon such as Heatran and cleaned better than Mawile, Mawile was ultimately chosen for the ability to unequivocally get kills versus stall, an incredibly important attribute for a spammable ladder team.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
-
Play Rough
-
Swords Dance
-
Sucker Punch
-
Thunder Punch

Mawile is an instrumental member of the team, using its newfound bulk under Aurora Veil to fire off dangerously strong Play Roughs or boost up and clean with Sucker Punch, which easily cleans teams when boosted. Veil lets Mawile sometimes acquire two Swords Dance boosts, which happens very rarely on a normal team. Mawile is a surprisingly potent sweeper on Aurora Veil, and its useful nearly every game.

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
Modest Nature
-
Rain Dance
-
Tail Glow
-
Surf
-
Psychic

Manaphy's a supremely underrated Pokemon, and it was lounging down in C+ on the Viability Rankings when this team was first created. I believe that TG+RD is a fantastic set under Veil, and should be almost always used as compared to TG + 3 Atks. Stall Struggles incredibly with TG + RD Mana, blowing through clefable and Chansey much more easily. While Modest means the team can often struggle with Jolly Landorus-T, I prefer it for the better rolls versus Clefable, and most importantly, smash through Tangrowth with a +6 Hydro Vortex and improve my rolls versus Bulu. Timid is definitely fine though, especially since underspeeding Pokemon like Scarf Lele blows a lot.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-
Substitute
-
Protect
-
Scald
-
Calm Mind

Another former member of the team. Suicune was far more anti-meta when it was originally added to the team, but people have begun to prepare for VinCune much more post-WCOP. Manaphy also throttles stall and doesn't sap momentum nearly as much. However, Suicune does have far better bulk and recovery, important for the teams only water resist against Pokemon such as Ash-Greninja.
/

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate / Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
-
Earthquake
-
Smack Down
-
Knock Off /
Fly
-
Stealth Rock

Landorus-T is probably the most volatile member of this team, having gone through multiple moveset changes over the course of this team. I've summarized them above. HP Ice is usable to improve the Landorus-T matchup but with Aurora Veil up it often becomes Zygarde Set-Up Fodder. Smack Down + Earthquake is pretty well known, but we chose Knock Off to remove items from Pokemon like Tangrowth which really helps Manaphy break through it much more easily.
Threats

There's obviously more threats but in the interest of space I just wanted to discuss these. This team is Pre-Diancie, so we weren't prepared for it obviously but it OHKOs and outspeeds Ninetales and everything doesnt switch in well so Diancie's a huge threat and a major reason for its decline. Zard-Y is a dangerous anti-lead vs. Ninetales, forcing you to nearly always lead Zygarde and instantly lose momentum if they opt for anything else. A well played Ash-Greninja can blow through the team too, and I often resort to leading Manaphy and just Hydro Vortexing it for damage. Once it gains its Ash Form Hydro Pump potentially OHKOs the whole team bar Manaphy if Veil isn't up, although Magearna usually survives a single pump from Ash-Greninja.

I've made these Pokemon sound like unbeatable threats, but in reality they can be outplayed without severe difficulty, and they're just examples of threatening Pokemon you should watch out for.

Importables
Ability: Snow Warning EVs:
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Hypnosis
- Freeze-Dry
- Hail

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind

Zygarde @ Figy Berry
EVs: 80 HP / 236 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Coil
- Dragon Dance

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Hypnosis
- Freeze-Dry
- Hail

Magearna @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind

Zygarde @ Figy Berry
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Coil
- Dragon Dance

Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Fly
- Stealth Rock​

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Hypnosis
- Freeze-Dry
- Hail

Magearna @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind

Zygarde @ Figy Berry
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Coil
- Dragon Dance

Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Shoutouts
shoutouts to sedertz for writing this for me
SHOUTOUTS Sealette THE BESTIE
Paycard, FMG, njnp: Shoutouts to you guys for helping me test all forms of this team and making it as good as it currently is
tsmugs: always building with this mans as of late pumping out godsquads 24/7
Dokkerich, DenisTheMenace : Den of Thieves made me summer as fun as it was and you guys were a big part of that
suapah: OML i love you fam but canada is an uncountry
Count Riario: man how are u so good at brawlhalla i swear ur a hacker
LL: thanks for the free wins as usual, who i go to when i wanna boost my ego
chop : u my boi fam
Hayburner: the day one of day ones you da goat
Savy Baby: ethot patrol unite
patlop2307: only thing ik thats fatter than venusteela is u
Ricardo: by far my fav user on this site mans is a legend
Tinberz: <3
ADF Test: i love you fam but stop stalling in friendlies shits cancer
btb: bo3 when n_n
obii: mans gave me hella advice and its always appreciated
ayevon: i swear earth power does more than eq on timid mew
Analytic: trick room veil stall is the greatest team in existence
Toptierboy: if a thot tells you to stop smoking shes not the one for you
tigers jaw:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)