Implemented Keep RBY BO3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
look, im happy this awful decision got reversed but i hope we all still remember a few things:

1. the td team still unanimously came to this decision
2. they enacted it an entirely ridiculous manner with complete disregard for the RBY playerbase and integrity of tournaments

its clear to me that this decision was reversed more to save face than to actually make the right decision. its good that we as a community can force change by banding together but the td team has demonstrated their incompetence over and over again. on a more positive note, i find it really impressive that user sabelette led the charge against this mediocrity or malice (im not sure what to call it anymore) but its clear she cares much more about the rby community (and the dpp community from my understanding) than the current td team and thats the kind of representation we need. i think we need to see some resignations and sabelette (and those like herself) should replace them
I am a shit stirrer not a TD, i exist to call out bullshit till i eventually get banned for it not to run shit

plus let’s be real between this and the palestine thing two months ago there is no way any of the staff like me or want to work with me

Alright I'd like to revise this to be fairer and less inciting. I do not expect TDs or SS to have goodwill toward me after this + the last thing, and I think that's entirely fair. "Shit stirrer" was meant to be a little jokey and defuse tension + not have people try to put me in charge for this, and I doubt it had that effect. The real way to put it would be "I could not do what the TDs do, what I'm good at is pointing out flawed systems and decisions, and people should not take that and go 'Sabel for TD.'"

I hope what comes of this is a review of the TD role, some changes that give some level of community accountability (without it just being "whatever is most popular with the majority is what happens 100% of the time with no nuance), and some way of spreading the workload a bit both for TD health/burnout reasons and so that there's more communication and chances to check things like this before we get here. I know I made fun with things like the 2-0 post but I really genuinely would like something positive to come of this and not just a big meme/more division between the community and people who keep things running.

<3 you all

Last edited:

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I thank the TD team for reverting their previous decisions. It does however seem like a change made not because of a change of heart in the TD team but rather postponing the ongoing discussion until later. Thus, ahead of time for the next round of discussions, I want the TD team to keep the following in mind:

Why is the change important?
So far the primary reasons I have identified have been to increase accessibility, prevent burnout in RBY players and to achieve "equality". I'd like you to take these months to identify how big of a problem this is. How many RBY players have been excluded from SPL participation because of the tier being played as a Bo3? How many players and/or supporters have suffered from burnout in RBY, contrasted with those that have played SPL but not engaged with RBY - are they fewer, more, or the same?

Does your target audience want the change?
This most recent proposal seems to have been supported almost exclusively by individuals with zero RBY games in team tournaments. Sometimes decisions are made by leadership without having support of those that are affected by it (we've all seen price hikes on products we consume IRL). Is this a case where the ends justify the means? Maybe you think the ones affected by the change just have to suck it?? Hopefully not.

What will you do to make the audience accept the change?
Highlighting this because of the absurdity. Merritt's initial response said that the TD team didn't believe it'd be worthwhile to be "having another year of inaction on this thread only to come to the same conclusions outlined above" (direct quote). As it stands, none of the current TDs engaged with the original topic of allowing player input on Bo3 in DPP (which it absolutely deserves, btw), and only Merritt has engaged with this thread, which is the only one to actually revolve around Bo3 in RBY, while only communicating through press releases addressing a monolith audience. Will you actually talk to the people whose tournaments you manage or continue to rule by decree?

What is the role of the player base on tournament issues?
The TD team of today has faced an unprecedented uproar where their ability to lead has been put into question due to their repeated failure to listen to the wants of the playerbase. Only after tripling down on an idea that barely any directly affected party wanted did public pressure become too much for this to be implemented at the eleventh hour. Indeed it seems like the current TD team has a contempt for what the general public thinks, as beyond the disallowance of the TD team to allow DPP players a voice on how their format should look like, Kristyl was just denied a discussion on the similarly controversial forbidding of gentlemen's agreements. With the TD team of today seemingly out of touch with its playerbase, the TD role being only granted by higher-ups and the community at large having no formal way to influence the decision making process, it seems to me that there is a need for some kind of structural change to ensure that the general playerbase is guaranteed a formal part in the decision making process, be it through an directly-elected player representative in the TD team, a supermajority veto or whichever other way you could imagine.

I have been a TD and a head TD. It is not always easy to do right, and heaven knows I made plenty of mistakes during my time with power. I still believe that the TD team of today wants to do right by the players, but I am not certain that the current system is the best way to organize.
The decision making process displayed here showed to me that there is a clear need for change, but not just at an individual level. Complaints about TD teams being out of touch with the playerbase have always existed on Smogon, perhaps maybe never so loudly as now, but it still points towards a systemic issue that does not begin or end with any one individual. The current system is simply not sustainable. Public outrage might have prevented a poor decision for now, but it comes at a cost - trust between leadership and general public is damaged, and morale is down across the board. Again, this is not a unique occurence, I've been at the other side of this as well.
I'd like for Smogon to investigate new ways for the playerbase at large to influence the decision making process. How would that look? Who knows. Maybe inspiration can be taken from the OU council, which I hear has been changing their ways and standards over time to a great public response. The only thing I feel certain about is that the current system needs to change for the sake of everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)