RU Jolteon [QC: 3/3] [GP: 2/2]

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC: avocado / teachable / phantom
GP: marthaa / The Dutch Plumberjack

[OVERVIEW]

Jolteon is a mediocre Pokemon. While it has good speed, its coverage options are limited to Hidden Power and Shadow Ball, which heavily limits its potential against offensive teams. Furthermore, although Jolteon's Special Attack is solid, it fails to break the most common special walls in RU such as Snorlax and struggles with bulky offensive threats such as Shaymin. Jolteon is also really frail, making it difficult to switch in even on resisted attacks and easy to revenge kill.

[SET]

name: Special Attacker

move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Shadow Ball
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is a very consistent STAB attack due to its decent Base Power and 100% accuracy. Volt Switch allows Jolteon to gain momentum when predicting the foe to switch out. Hidden Power Ice allows Jolteon to hit Ground-types such as Gligar, which are immune to its Electric-type attacks, and Grass-types such as Roserade that resist Electric. Shadow Ball is a decent coverage move, hitting Pokemon such as Bronzong, Doublade, Espeon, and Gardevoir for more damage than Thunderbolt.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in Speed with a Timid nature allow Jolteon to be as fast as possible, outpacing base 80 Speed Choice Scarf users. Full investment in Special Attack maximizes Jolteon's damage output. Life Orb boosts the damage of Jolteon's attacks, making it hit pretty hard, although it doesn't appreciate the recoil; Choice Specs, on the other hand, boosts Jolteon's Special Attack more than Life Orb and doesn't come with recoil, but the lock-in can allow Pokemon such as Dragon Dance Flygon to take advantage of Jolteon.

Usage Tips
========

Jolteon should be brought in safely through slow U-turn or Volt Switch, on double switches, or on Electric-type attacks, as it doesn't like switching in on any attacks. If the opponent doesn't have a Ground-type, Jolteon can use Volt Switch pretty easily to pivot around and weaken the opponent's team, potentially setting up for a teammate to clean late-game. If the opponent does have a Ground-type or another Pokemon that's immune to Electric-type attacks such as Trace Gardevoir, Jolteon is pressured more, so it has to predict what Pokemon the foe is going to send out and use the appropriate attack. If running Life Orb, Jolteon can sometimes afford to not predict the foe, because Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Ice OHKOes Flygon and physically defensive Gligar after Stealth Rock.

Team Options
========

Water- and Flying-type Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Moltres appreciate the Electric immunity that Jolteon provides. Wallbreakers such as Yanmega and Pangoro that like being brought in for free appreciate Jolteon's ability to do so with Volt Switch. U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Flygon, Rotom-H, and Swellow can form a VoltTurn core with Jolteon and make it easier to consistently get momentum and chip away at the opponent's team. Pokemon such as Rhyperior that are threatened by bulky Water-types like Jolteon as a partner due to its ability to threaten them with its Electric-type STAB moves.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Z-Celebrate can be used to make Jolteon a very fast sweeper with boosted stats, but it's still not strong enough to get past specially defensive Pokemon such as Registeel and Umbreon, and it still has mediocre bulk. Hidden Power Grass can be used to hit Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Quagsire.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Defensive Pokemon**: Jolteon is not strong enough to get past special walls such as Porygon2, Cresselia, Gigalith, Umbreon, and Registeel and has to switch out.

**Electric-resistant or -immune Pokemon**: Pokemon that resist or are immune to Electric-type attacks such as Dragalge, Goodra, and Rhyperior threaten Jolteon, but they do need to watch out for Hidden Power Ice.

**Residual Damage**: Jolteon doesn't appreciate taking residual damage from hazards, weather, or status because it can get worn down very easily, especially if it's running Life Orb.

Last edited by a moderator:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
When mentioning his speed also mention volt switch being an incredible option along with it to work as a sort of pivot for offense teams, in the overview

Replace the name with Special Attacker (just a personal preference of mine; "All-out Attacker" should die imo)

Change team options slightly to reflect Jolteon's offensive prowess. add more offensive pokemon as options instead of things like milotic and mantine. add swellow as a example of u-turn. its also nice because they both share similar checks/counters.

expand c&c with more specific examples. p2 to spdef mons, cress, umbreon, gigalith (has sand too) etc

QC approved 1/3

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not QC (so ofc it's not a QC Check), but:
Remove Accelgor, it's irrelevant
About Electric resists in C&Cs:
Mention Rhyperior on both Electric resists (3HKOed by Specs HP Ice, 4HKOed by LO HP Ice) and HP Grass mention in OO (I'd remove Gastrodon tbh)
Mention Dragalge, 3HKOed by HP Ice at worst and can 2HKO with Sludge Wave and use TSpikes. I'd also mention Goodra, it is only 3HKOed since it's only 3HKOed HP Ice even after Rocks, also Rotom-Heat since its Defensive sets are only 3HKOed by Shadow Ball and offensive avoid the 2HKO. Mention Gardevoir thanks to Trace, but it have to watch out for Shadow Ball 2HKOing.

I'd list Quick Feet somewhere since this allows Jolteon to hit Trace Gardevoir and P2 and Electric-type moves aren't that common (I'd say I see Gardevoir more often than Electric-type moves), you could wait for QC to make this tho.

Mention how Offensive teams benefit from being an Offensive mon able to naturally outspeed and KO Swellow (and Salazzle if Specs/after any prior damage), even tho Aero also does this and is usually better.
And
OP said:
  • U-Turn or Volt Switch users such as Flygon, Rotom, and Swellow can form a VoltTurn core with Jolteon and make it easier to consistently get momentum and chip away at the foe's team.
Put Rotom-A (if you don't, it will leave us to think it's the Ghost-type Rotom).

Last edited:

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not QC (so ofc it's not a QC Check), but:
Remove Accelgor, it's irrelevant
About Electric resists in C&Cs:
Mention Rhyperior on both Electric resists (3HKOed by Specs HP Ice, 4HKOed by LO HP Ice) and HP Grass mention in OO (I'd remove Gastrodon tbh)
Mention Dragalge, 3HKOed by HP Ice at worst and can 2HKO with Sludge Wave and use TSpikes. I'd also mention Goodra, it is only 3HKOed since it's only 3HKOed HP Ice even after Rocks, also Rotom-Heat since its Defensive sets are only 3HKOed by Shadow Ball and offensive avoid the 2HKO. Mention Gardevoir thanks to Trace, but it have to watch out for Shadow Ball 2HKOing.

I'd list Quick Feet somewhere since this allows Jolteon to hit Trace Gardevoir and P2 and Electric-type moves aren't that common (I'd say I see Gardevoir more often than Electric-type moves), you could wait for QC to make this tho.

Mention how Offensive teams benefit from being an Offensive mon able to naturally outspeed and KO Swellow (and Salazzle if Specs/after any prior damage), even tho Aero also does this and is usually better.
And
Put Rotom-A (if you don't, it will leave us to think it's the Ghost-type Rotom).
Mentioned Rhyperior in Electric resists and as a HP Grass target. I don't think it's necessary to mention so many Pokemon under Electric resists, I think they'll get the point after the few examples I listed.

I think Quick Feet is pretty bad so I'm going to wait for a second opinion before implementing this. Also going to wait for a second opinion on Gardevoir because the risk of switching Gardevoir on a potential Shadow Ball is too big to act as a check imo.

I would mention how offensive teams benefit from its ability to outspeed swellow and salazzle but I'm not sure in what section to put it in, so if someone could tell me I'll do it.

Fixed the Rotom thing.

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mentioned Rhyperior in Electric resists and as a HP Grass target. I don't think it's necessary to mention so many Pokemon under Electric resists, I think they'll get the point after the few examples I listed.

I think Quick Feet is pretty bad so I'm going to wait for a second opinion before implementing this. Also going to wait for a second opinion on Gardevoir because the risk of switching Gardevoir on a potential Shadow Ball is too big to act as a check imo.

I would mention how offensive teams benefit from its ability to outspeed swellow and salazzle but I'm not sure in what section to put it in, so if someone could tell me I'll do it.

Fixed the Rotom thing.
Gardevoir is the same as Gligar I'd say, I gave some suggestions of reliable Elec resists, include the ones you think you should (I just didn't like the fact that all the Elec resists could be 2HKOed by coverage). About Speed I'd include it in the overview, outspeed these mons is the only reason to use this over Heliolisk (if Jolteon was slower, I doubt it would be viable)

Conflux

big boy diamonds
Gardevoir is the same as Gligar I'd say, I gave some suggestions of reliable Elec resists, include the ones you think you should (I just didn't like the fact that all the Elec resists could be 2HKOed by coverage). About Speed I'd include it in the overview, outspeed these mons is the only reason to use this over Heliolisk (if Jolteon was slower, I doubt it would be viable)
Good point, I changed the Electric resists and mentioned Jolteon's Speed capabilities and niche over Heliolisk in the overview.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
I'm not QC, but I can definitely say right now that for a C- ranked Mon, this is way too positive. I read this and was actually convinced that it was a good choice when that's simply not true. Mention how electric types aren't really great in this meta, the competition it faces for both power and speed and just try to get the point across that it's not really very good.

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
try varying a few of your sentences, because they almost all follow a similar structure
GP 1/2
add remove comments

[OVERVIEW]

Jolteon has an amazing base 130 Speed stat, (AC) enabling it to outspeed every unboosted Pokemon in the tier with the exception of Aerodactyl, (AC) which it Speed ties with, (AC) and Accelgor. Its Speed combined with Volt Switch makes it a great pivot for offensive teams. Offensive These teams also appreciate Jolteon's ability to outspeed Swellow and Salazzle, which is the main reason to use it over Heliolisk. Jolteon's has a decent base 110 Special Attack making makes it hard for non-specially defensive Pokemon and Pokemon that don't resist its attacks to switch in. Volt Absorb allows it to switch in on Electric-type attacks and get some recovery recover HP. Its coverage options are limited, (AC) as the only good moves it can learn has are Shadow Ball, (AC) which is useful for Trace Gardevoir, (AC) and Signal Beam, (AC) which isn't useful for much, (AC) as it hardly 3HKOes Umbreon. (AP) Jolteon and it can already hit Grass-types with Hidden Power Ice. Although its Special Attack is solid, it fails to break the most common special walls in RU. (which are?) Jolteon is really frail, making it difficult to switch in even on resisted attacks and easy to revenge kill.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt is a very consistent STAB attack because if due to its decent Base Power and 100% accuracy. Volt Switch allows Jolteon to gain momentum when predicting the foe to switch out. Hidden Power Ice allows Jolteon to hit Ground-types such as Gligar, (AC) which that are immune to its Electric-type attacks, and Grass-types such as Roserade that resist Electric. Shadow Ball is a decent coverage move, (AC) hitting and hits Pokemon such as Bronzong, Doublade, Espeon, and Gardevoir for more damage than Thunderbolt.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in Speed with a Timid nature allows Jolteon to be as fast as possible, outpacing base 80 Speed Choice Scarf users. Full investment in Special Attack maximizes Jolteon's damage output. Life Orb boosts the damage of Jolteon's attacks, making it hit pretty hard, although it doesn't appreciate the recoil, (AC) while Choice Specs boosts Jolteon's Special Attack more than Life Orb and doesn't come with recoil, but it forces Jolteon to lock itself into a move. (AP) This which can allow Pokemon such as Dragon Dance Flygon to take advantage of Jolteon.

Usage Tips
========

Jolteon should be brought in safely through slow U-Turns or Volt Switches U-turn or Volt Switch, on double switches, or on Electric-type attacks, (AC) as it doesn't like switching in on any attacks. If the foe opponent doesn't have a Ground-type, Jolteon can use Volt Switch pretty easily to pivot around and weaken the opponent's team, potentially setting up for a teammate to clean late-game. If the opponent does have a Ground-type or another Pokemon that's immune to Electric-type attacks such as Trace Gardevoir, Jolteon is more pressured more, (AC) so it and has to predict what Pokemon the foe is going to send out and go for use the appropriate attack. If running Life Orb, Jolteon can sometimes afford to not predict the foe because Life Orb-(AH)boosted Hidden Power Ice OHKOes Flygon and physically defensive Gligar after Stealth Rock.

Team Options
========

Water- and Flying-type Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Moltres appreciate the Electric-(RH) immunity that Jolteon provides. Wallbreakers such as Yanmega and Pangoro that like being brought in for free appreciate Jolteon's ability to do so with Volt Switch. U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Flygon, Rotom-H, and Swellow can form a VoltTurn core with Jolteon and make it easier to consistently get momentum and chip away at the foe's opponent's team. Pokemon such as Rhyperior that are threatened by bulky Water-types such as Rhyperior like Jolteon as a partner due to its ability to threaten them with its Electric-type STAB moves.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Z-Celebrate can be used to make Jolteon a very fast sweeper with boosted stats, however but it's still not strong enough to get past specially defensive Pokemon such as Registeel and Umbreon, and it still has mediocre bulk. Hidden Power Grass can be used to hit Water / Ground-(RH) types such as Rhyperior, (that's not a water/ground type?) Quagsire, (RC) and Seismitoad, (AC) but Quagsire is only seen on stall teams and Seismitoad is not that common.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Defensive Pokemon**: Jolteon's is not strong enough to get past special walls such as Porygon2, Cresselia, Gigalith, Umbreon, and Registeel and has to switch out.

**Electric-resistant or -immune Pokemon Resists**: Pokemon that resist or are immune to Electric-type attacks such as Rhyperior, Dragalge, and Goodra, (AC) and Rhyperior threaten Jolteon, however but they do need to watch out for Hidden Power Ice.

**Residual Damage**: Jolteon doesn't appreciate taking residual damage from hazards, weather, or status because it can get worn down very easily, especially if it's running Life Orb.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
Ice Tray this analysis needs to be looked at again, as jolteon has been D ranked in the viability rankings. The analysis as a whole is far too generous to its mediocrity and needs to be revised. You also need to implement the gp check at the very least

Sorry marthaa :psycry:

Conflux

big boy diamonds
My bad, I don't think I got the notification for the gp or I did and forgot (probably that). I'm fine with changing up the analysis to point out its mediocrity. I'll do it very soon.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Jolteon is a mediocre Pokémon Pokemon. While Jolteon it has good speed, its coverage options are limited to Hidden Power and Shadow Ball, which heavily limits its potential against offensive teams. Furthermore, although its Jolteon's Special Attack is solid, it fails to break the most common special walls in RU such as Snorlax and struggles with bulky offensive threats such as Shaymin. Jolteon is also really frail, making it difficult to switch in even on resisted attacks and easy to revenge kill.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt is a very consistent STAB attack due to its decent Base Power and 100% accuracy. Volt Switch allows Jolteon to gain momentum when predicting the foe to switch out. Hidden Power Ice allows Jolteon to hit Ground-types such as Gligar, which are immune to its Electric-type attacks, and Grass-types such as Roserade that resist Electric. Shadow Ball is a decent coverage move, hitting Pokemon such as Bronzong, Doublade, Espeon, and Gardevoir for more damage than Thunderbolt.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in Speed with a Timid nature allow Jolteon to be as fast as possible, outpacing base 80 Speed Choice Scarf users. Full investment in Special Attack maximizes Jolteon's damage output. Life Orb boosts the damage of Jolteon's attacks, making it hit pretty hard, although it doesn't appreciate the recoil; (SC) while Choice Specs, on the other hand, boosts Jolteon's Special Attack more than Life Orb and doesn't come with recoil, but it forces Jolteon to lock itself into a move. This the lock-in can allow Pokemon such as Dragon Dance Flygon to take advantage of Jolteon.

Usage Tips
========

Jolteon should be brought in safely through slow U-turn or Volt Switch, on double switches, or on Electric-type attacks, as it doesn't like switching in on any attacks. If the opponent doesn't have a Ground-type, Jolteon can use Volt Switch pretty easily to pivot around and weaken the opponent's team, potentially setting up for a teammate to clean late-game. If the opponent does have a Ground-type or another Pokemon that's immune to Electric-type attacks such as Trace Gardevoir, Jolteon is pressured more, so it has to predict what Pokemon the foe is going to send out and use the appropriate attack. If running Life Orb, Jolteon can sometimes afford to not predict the foe, (AC) because Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Ice OHKOes Flygon and physically defensive Gligar after Stealth Rock.

Team Options
========

Water- and Flying-type Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Moltres appreciate the Electric immunity that Jolteon provides. Wallbreakers such as Yanmega and Pangoro that like being brought in for free appreciate Jolteon's ability to do so with Volt Switch. U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Flygon, Rotom-H, and Swellow can form a VoltTurn core with Jolteon and make it easier to consistently get momentum and chip away at the opponent's team. Pokemon such as Rhyperior that are threatened by bulky Water-types like Jolteon as a partner due to its ability to threaten them with its Electric-type STAB moves.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Z-Celebrate can be used to make Jolteon a very fast sweeper with boosted stats, but it's still not strong enough to get past specially defensive Pokemon such as Registeel and Umbreon, and it still has mediocre bulk. Hidden Power Grass can be used to hit Water / Ground types such as Quagsire, but Quagsire is only seen on stall teams. ("to hit Water / Ground types, but its most notable target, Quagsire, is only seen on stall teams", do this if it's accurate)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Defensive Pokemon**: Jolteon is not strong enough to get past special walls such as Porygon2, Cresselia, Gigalith, Umbreon, and Registeel and has to switch out.

**Electric-resistant or -immune Pokemon**: Pokemon that resist or are immune to Electric-type attacks such as Dragalge, Goodra, and Rhyperior threaten Jolteon, but they do need to watch out for Hidden Power Ice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)