Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (spoilers?)

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure started as a manga by Hirohiko Araki and has been running since 1986. The series is called that because of how every protagonist (tentatively) shares the nickname of Jojo. There are multiple story arcs, with each of them starring a different generation of the Joestar bloodline. Parts 1, 2, and 3 are all (very well) adapted fully into anime by David Production. Currently, the manga is up to Part 8, and Part 4 is being released as an anime adaptation with a new episode every Friday.

The first story arc. Stars Jonathan Joestar, gentleman and powerful Ripple user, as he fights against Dio Brando, his stepbrother turned vampire, and his minions.
Joeseph Joestar, grandson of Jonathan, is a natural born stand user and a polar opposite of his grandfather when it comes to his personality. Alongside Caeser Zeppeli, he defends the world against a powerful race of ancient superhumans.
Arguably the most popular part; it is adapted into both an OVA and into 2 seasons on TV. The fighting style of the Ripple is replaced with the new concept of Stands, a manifestation of one's own fighting spirit. Part 3's main protagonist is Jotaro Kujo, grandson of Joseph Joestar, as he and his allies journey to Egypt to challenge Dio (same antagonist as Part 1) and save Jotaro's mother.
The Bow and Arrow is introduced in this part; it is an artifact that grants Stand abilities to those who are struck with it and survive. Certain villains in the town of Morioh are vying for control over the arrow so that they can create Stand users at will. To stop them and protect the town is Josuke Higashikata, the illegitimate son of Joseph Joestar.
Giorno Giovanna's dream is to become an influential gangster (he calls it being a gang-star.) So, he joins Pasionne, an italian mafia that is comprised of Stand users with the primary motive of making the streets a better place. This part is probably the most controversial part among fans, as many people believe that Part 5 isn't good at all.
Jolyne Kujo, daughter of Jotaro Kujo, is framed for murder and gets thrown in prison. She is antagonized by Enrico Pucci, a priest who was influenced by Dio.
Johnny Joestar is a paraplegic who is a contestant in the Steel Ball Run race, a transcontinental horse race for a ton of money and fame. He follows Gyro Zeppeli with the goal of learning the secret to his steel balls (he uses spinning steel balls as a weapon) because he believes that learning about Gyro's secret will enable him to walk again.
A mysterious amnesiac sailor with four testacles is discovered by Yasuho Hirose to be buried beneath the dirt in Morioh. They search throughout the town for clues to his identity. Part 8 is still ongoing and is probably around halfway done.

The manga for parts 1, 3, 4, and 6 are released in full color and can be downloaded here. The other ones arent fully in color but are still pretty good in just good old black & white.

The anime can be watched pretty much anywhere; kissanime is a good place to watch it if you don't mind disabling adblock. Parts 1 & 2 are both featured in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012), Part 3 is separated into 2 seasons (both called Stardust Crusaders) and Part 4 is currently airing.

My favorite part is part 7. I think it has the best protagonist (I named one of my birds after him) and antagonist but unfortunately it has a bit of a rocky start. I also really like where part 8 is heading. Some people think that it's on its way to surpassing part 7 but I disagree.

frickin luv jjba man. think it was what really consolidated my appreciation for manga after i wised up about how shit naruto is / was and bleach was past the ss arc and dipping rapidly in quality. for those jjba completists out there, the 1993 ova (which takes from stardust crusaders b.c it was the 90's and ofc that'd be the one to go to in the 90's) is an interesting and brief watch. omits a ton of material, but that's kinda what you get with something so brief.

anyway, i've always stood by the opinion that part 4, diamond is unbreakable, is the most interesting of the series. part of what i find so interesting about jjba (and there is tons of strong points to it) is that it's been cruising for so long, that you can almost get a feel for the eras of manga the different parts came out in by honing in on the minor changes. the first three parts i feel really were feeding on the adrenaline-heavy nature of content in that time, and while the distinct flavour of araki's writing and more 'intelligent' fight sequences shone through, i feel it really came into its own from thereon in, and it was never done quite as well since. some of the best fights and self-inserts were in diu, and maybe it's just personal preference, but i think the lighter overall atmosphere really makes the antecedent actions that much sharper (the sequence where josuke's mother gets attacked hits hard man).

steel ball run and vento aureo are also phenomenal, great characters and concepts. i decided to take a break from jojolion b.c binging suits me better than keeping up w/content, but i was digging it as well.

As you can see from my avatar, I love JJBA. I've been watching it for almost half a year, and I've watched all the episodes, though I've never read the manga. I'd say my favorite seasons were 2 and 3. Also, just an FYI, if you're anal about getting anime legally, Crunchyroll has all the currently subbed releases of the JJBA anime for free(save the most current episodes of DIU).

Well, I started it a few weekes ago and I love it, I've finished the first part of stardust crusader (anime) and I'm buying the manga

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Recently got into jojo but I haven't read this thread to avoid any spoilers :eyes:

watched all anime for parts 1-4 and just started reading the coloured part 5. all of it is good shit, except part 4, that one was really not on par with the 3 parts before it and I really didn't like it, but it did have a good/satisfying ending and was better in that regard than the previous 3 chapters, but everything else was worse.

For the anime parts imo its 2 (by far) >> 3 > 1 >>> 4

Started part 5 and it's already so much better than 4. much more interesting protagonist, none of the new characters got much depth to them as of now (slight spoilers: he just got into the gang and met the rest of the team) but I already like their designs much more than any of the part 4 characters. also, the chapters with giogio trying to pass polpo's exam were excellent, how the fuck did a manga manage to get me worked up and excited over a lighter.

I originally started with the JoJo anime and watched Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency without reading the manga. I'm almost done with DIU, but I never watch Stardust Crusaders. Currently reading VA, and it's pretty good so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)