Iron Chef Season 3: Underused | EPISODE 9, PHASE 3 (post #252)

won vs sun, there was a problem with the replay, it showed this error: Error while uploading replay: database error for gen7uususpecttest-634439493:

Heres a screencap of the win screen for the game, I apologize for the inconvenience, according to the help room its a well known bug. Here is the screen cap: https://puu.sh/xEM06/dccd5966c4.png

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
ADVISORY FROM THE CHAIRMAN:

To all Iron Chef participants for this episode, please be notified that the replays are not functioning well today, and I'm hoping they will be fixed promptly. For now, please save your replays in your PC, and upload the replays somewhere (such as Dropbox or any Cloud Storage you have at hand). We'll notify you whenever the replays section has already been fixed.

Tagging Iron Chefs CoolStoryBrobat, pokeisfun, Sun, Cynde, and CBU in case these guys forget~

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
HAHAHAH IM KNEE DEEP IN DEPRESSION AFTER GETTING DESTROYED BY COOLSTORYBROBAT 4 GAME L STREAK HELLLLLLLLLLL YEAHAHHHHHHH

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
3, 2, 1... TIME'S UP!

Voting and judging phase for this episode is now underway! Presenting to you the dishes of the participants!

Lord Esche said:
Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Hone Claws

Jirachi @ Electrium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Rapid Spin

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

This team features some sets that have fallen under the radar as of late, while also, of course, fulfilling the requirement for the episode. The four inaccurate moves equal to or below an accuracy of 80% are Stone Edge on Mega Aerodactyl, Thunder on Jirachi, Hydro Pump on Tentacruel, and another Stone Edge on Infernape. Hone Claws Mega Aerodactyl, or moreso Mega Aerodactyl in general, has been somewhat neglected by the UU playerbase as of late, due to new Mega evolutions becoming available after the latest tier shift. However, once the current suspect ends and the new toy syndrom settles down a bit, I am confident that Mega Aerodactyl will reclaim its title as the best Mega in UU. Double STAB + EQ gives Mega Aerodactyl strong neutral or super effectve coverage on pretty much everything in the tier, while Hone Claws allows it to overwhelm checks like Rotom-W or Cobalion. It is therefore paired with CM Electrium-Z Jirachi, which, sporting a good amount of surprise factor with Z-Thunder and HP Fire, targets to remove some of the bulkier Water types like Suicune and Alomomola as well as Scizor for Mega Aerodactyl. The set-up core is backed up by an offensive hazard core, consisting of Tentacruel and Mamoswine, and two Choice users, Specs Hydreigon and Scarf Infernape. Starting with the latter, Scarf Infernape has seen a convincing amount of usage ever since Jirachi graced the tier with its Z-Happy Hour set, being able to avenge its flinched-to-death and coverage-strucken team mates after some prior damage, while also acting as a check to Scizor and Weavile. Specs Hydreigon on the other hand is supposed to soften up steel types like Mega Aggron for the set-up core. Next to its raw power, Specs Hydreigon offers a bunch of useful resistances as well as an additional Ground immunity, which an offensive build like this team can only appreciate. The remaining two members round out the team by supporting it with Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock, as well as offering some additional surprise in the case of Tentacruel: Fast Offensive Tentacruel, or the Core Shredder as it's called, aims to throw off the opponent by outspeeding and severely damaging commonly faster 'mons such as Mamoswine, Gliscor, Nidoking, Krookodile and even Hydreigon with the use of Hydro Pump and Dazzling Gleam. Most of the aforementioned Pokémon Jirachi has trouble to OHKO, even at +1 SpAtk, which is where the idea for utilizing this set on this team comes from. Sludge Bomb is necessary in order to check Fairies better since the Jirachi on this team does not feature a Steel type move. Mamoswine, in addition to Stealth Rock, provides some priority with Ice Shard, checks Electric types and most notably pressures opposing hazard removal with its strong Ice/Ground STAB coverage boosted by the Life Orb.

Ultimately, this team attempts to overwhelm the opponent by sheer force, utilizing powerful albeit innaccurate moves boosted by Hone Claws or converted into a Z-Move. Threats to this team include Mega Sharpedo, Mega Manectric and, of course, Weavile, but covering all monsters in the current metagame is an impossible task for an offensive build. I hope you enjoyed, thanks for reading, try out the team if you so desire, and have a good one.
bla bla fat said:
Chaos Crystal (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Thunder
- Taunt

HitFuckingTurtle (Blastoise-Mega) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

aHHHHHHHHHhhH (Talonflame) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

PurpleMonkey (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 72 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Roost

HitFuckingWash (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

HitFuckingHorns (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

For this build I decided to do a standard Ho core of talonstoise with azelf. Azelf functions as the lead sr as normal, holding thunder which was originally to add another move under 80%, but has actually proved quite useful in hurting mons that could potentially rapid spin or attempt to setup on an azelf such as mega blastoise, suicune, matine, tentacruel etc. It also can help damage some bulky waters to help out talonflame so that it doesnt have to use its Z move. Gliscor is there as a decent stallbreaker running 188+ jolly to outspeed rotom-ws, nido, toge, entei, etc. Next up we have an offensive rotom wash. I was debating the item on rotom for quite a while between specs or leftovers, as both can help patch different things in the team. But I chose leftovers for 3 main reasons. The versatility often allows me to sweeps water/eletric coverage is amazing, if I clicked an electric attack as a mamoswine entered and I was specs, I was then confined to sacking a mon (although this wouldnt happen often because its not a very common set), and finally the main reason, this team is incredibly weak to DD mega altaria. With leftovers it allows the team to atleast have some counterplay to it by thunder wavig it, volt switching out and switching to whichever mon is necessary to get enough chip for a poison jab from terrak to kill. Speaking of terrakion, I was debating between nihiligo, infernape, or terrakion for quite a while but I eventually decided on terrakion as it has a great speed tier for a scarfer tying with infernape, has great coverage and provides a dark resist to my team.

The team plays just like normal HO.

Notable threats to the team include mega altaria as stated before, Mega latias with thunderbolt can also cause a problem but usually I can overpower it with talonflame blastoise and terrakion, and the final notable threat I have found to the team is (...)
Nightingales said:
Hitmonlee @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Endure
- Reversal
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Hone Claws

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Flash Cannon
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot

Sceptile @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Grass Whistle
- Leaf Blade
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

Is this another version of hitmonlee shenanigans? Yes it is. Will it work? Yes it will. Lure everything into getting rid of priority, then clean up with Hitmonlee or Maero. Grasswhistle Sceptile for shenanigans. Scarf Garde to catch various things off-guard. Etc.
SuperVegeta20 said:
bet 1 (Galvantula) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Energy Ball

bet 2 (Pidgeot) (M) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

bet 3 (Jirachi) @ Normalium Z
Jolly Nature
- Happy Hour
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Zen Headbutt

bet 4 (Infernape) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

bet 5 (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 88 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Facade

bet 6 (Primarina) (F) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Sparkling Aria

Alright so basically this squad is pretty balanced, its got a webs lead with compound eyes so thats nice for the secret ingredient, a lot of the squad is covering for mega pidgeot as the team is based around it. I'm not very good at explaining things especially when it comes to something like this where the thoughts in my brain while making the team aren't that easy to translate to words.
Giratina93 said:
Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Substitute
- Roost

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 128 SpA / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Gravity
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Primarina @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Gravity
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake

Now, I know this team looks a little... weird, but I find it fits the vest of the blind sense rather well. The gimmick is simple to understand: Depending on the team composition, either Claydol or Metagross leads off. Claydol is a rather mediocre jack of all trades, but it works wonders here thanks to the move Gravity. This gifts the inaccurate moves with the full accuracy they need for a time, and allows them to be utilized to their fullest potential. Also, with the team being rather ground weak, Claydol is the perfect mon to switch in for Entei or Magneton and return fire with Ice Beam (Ev'd to not only always survive Scarf/Assault Vest Krook's Knock off, but also 98% of the time kill non Assault vest Krook with Ice Beam, useful for threatening the ground and dragon types roaming the tier.)

If a more offensive start is needed, or a fast fairy type like Gardevoir is causing issues, Metagross is there to handle it. Lum Berry enables Metagross to switch in safely and ignore whatever burns are thrown at it, then return fire with a Bullet Punch to scare it out if it's taken prior damage. Entei as well can revenge kill with Espeed, or launch its own powerful nukes in Sacred Fire and Flare Blitz, though it also appreciates the Gravity buff for Stone Edge.

For the ever popular Scizor and Jirachi, Magneton exists to make their day hell, trapping them in and spamming super powerful Thunders to blast them into submission, or HP Fire for Scizor specifically. Thanks to scarf, it too can also handle fast fairies like Mega Altaria (That hasn't boosted yet) or Gardevoir. Mega Altaria can also lure in these steels, Substituting on the switch in, then responding with Fire Blast to burn them down, while spamming Hyper Voice for everything else.

Finally, lays the special cannon of the team: Primarina. With a glorious defensive typing and natural bulk and firepower, Primarina can switch into many of the tier's deadly mons and abuse Gravity to its fullest, hosing down almost everything with Hydro Pump and Blizzard. Moonblast helps pick off the numerous dark and fighting types, and HP Electric is there to aid it against fellow bulky water types in the tier.[/hide]
Tera Melos said:
Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Refresh

Machamp @ Choice Band
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def
Careful Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Facade

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge

Latias @ Icium Z
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Iron Tail
- Hyper Voice

I wanted a team that not only followed the Secret Ingredient, but made it the big star of the team. So, I decided to have every mon on the team run at least one low accuracy move (90 or less). Building this team was quite a challenge, so I figured I'd start with going through the UU tier and finding mons that had these moves and grouping them together. It wasn't TOO difficult once I started finding mons that are actually pretty good in UU (with the exception of one mon, which we'll get too eventually). The team has a solid core, support, and everything a basic team would need. I won't claim this team is perfect, or even deadly. I wanted to have fun with this, that's what Iron Chef is about anyways. So, here it is.
Renny_ said:
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Roost

Jirachi @ Normalium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Happy Hour
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Energy Ball

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Cobalion @ Chople Berry
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Sludge Bomb

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

When I saw the secret ingredient I was pretty happy have to say, I've never tried Aerodactyl in this new meta, and this could be the opportunity, since his rock-type stab is perfect for this restriction. I don't remember the entire building phase, since i did really a lot of changes to fix as much weakness as i can. I just remember that i started with Aerodactyl and Rotom-w(which died during the building phase) as core, and after about 30 minutes this team comes up. Basically is a pretty standard team, with Hydreigon, Aerodactyl and Jirachi as main breakers. Krookodile really helps against threat like Latias, which can be annoying for Hydreigon. Cobalion helps with rocks and can do his damages thanks to swords dance. I decide to put a chople berry on it since Im not running haze tentacruel, and it can help with other Cobalions, Terrakions or Scizors. Not much to say about Tentacruel, is my removal and can set tspikes as well, which are really useful for this team. I decide to run sludge bomb because I was a little bit scared of Primarina, since it can join everytime Hydreigon tries to do his damages. About my 80%(or less) accuracy moves i don't have much to say, all pretty standard in these mons sets, maybe exept for focus blast hydreigon, which can be useful for Empoleon.
Jqded said:
Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Electro Ball
- Sticky Web

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

Tornadus (M)
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball

Primarina @ Splash Plate
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

So when I first saw the secret ingredient, I immediately thought of using Z moves as a way to bypass the accuracy check, and the first thing that came to mind was Rockium Terrak. I originally intended on using double dance, but then i realized when scrolling through the tiers that Galvantula would be a cool mon to use in this round, as it doesnt mind running a low accuracy move, and the sticky web support would be really cool for Terak and others. A 3d move is easily appreciated, as the speed boosting move is barely necessary anymore; this does however open up a bit of a weakness to Latias, which isn't really solved that well by the other mons, as i dont have a psychic resist and nothing outspeeds latias bar tornadus. Its handled pretty decently offensively though, as it cant come in for free on any of the 6 mons, except when making a risky prediction.

As for the 3d mon, I wanted to use one of my favorite megas down in UU, who also manages to bypass thw low accuracy check with hailboosted Blizzards. SD abomasnow puts a lot of pressure on fatter teams, and just spams blizzards when it doesnt find an opportunity to set up. A little con is that even under webs the entire offensive part of the tier still outspeeds it, and a good portion of the defensive mons do as well, but no mon is perfect :)
After I got the secret ingredient part out of the way, I could permit to give myself some building freedom, and decided to throw on Defiant Tornadus + CM Chandelure as a spinblocker to stop the webs from being removed. Chandelure being often held back by its mediocre at best speed tier appreciates the webs a ton, as it allows it to outspeed some of its 'counters' without having to run scarf. CM on forced switches could just end up denting huge holes in teams, as it almost has perfect neutral coverage. Meanwhile, defiant tornadus stopped the other form of hazard removal, in defog. With Bulk Up to actually have some offensive pfesence when not boosted by defiant, and a cool speedtier with hard hitting moves, this thing actually becomes a pretty cool lategame cleaner.
As for the last mon, in a pretty poor attempt to solve the massive latias/hydreigon weakness and finish a little fire/water/grass core i threw on splash plate primarina, a mon that ohkos/2hkos basically every mon in the tier, due to its insane special attack and great defensive typing. Outspeeding many of its counters under sticky web, this thing could end up punching holes through defensive backbones pretty easily.

The Latias weakness was never really patched up, and since nothing bar torn passes the base 110 mark for speed fast flying types such as mpidge and mdactyl also look pretty threatening. I do however like the look of the team, as i feel that it could easily end up bringing home some Ws
. . . . . . .

(since replays are down, no link will be given today; however, the replays are linked in this spreadsheet under the tab: "Battle Records".)

The UU Community (including Iron Chefs!) may now vote for two of the most favorite teams in terms of the three criteria: Creativity, Essence, and Effectiveness. They can also vote for one team in different categories. Here's an example of how a vote goes:

CREATIVITY:
1. Euphonos - Ah, I've never seen someone using such sets before.
2. eht - Because he always build creative sets and never disappoint!

ESSENCE:
1. Euphonos - He managed to use the secret ingredient very well as it served as an integral component to his team.
2. Hogg - He takes advantage of the secret ingredient in order for his key Pokemon to shine.

Effectiveness:
1. Euphonos - Knowing this person, he doesn't bring out anything that wasn't truly effective in the first place, and this team is no exception; while having some creative touches, it translated to its effectiveness quite well!
2. pokemon sparrow - Don't be fooled with a team that was unaesthetically pleasing, it's just damn effective in what it does!
. . . . . . .

The UU community has until
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 11 AM GMT -4
to cast a vote on this thread who are
the most original,
the most essential,

and
the best-tasting
dishes ever witnessed this round!

Allez, cuisine!

Last edited:
oh god, the nostalgia. I missed this so badly.

Creativity: While I adore missing Draco 3 times in a row (which is surprisingly common for me) as much as the next battler, making even less accurate moves a staple of teams is a cathartic release while watching the secret ingredient in action. Less accurate moves are usually more powerful, even if those same moves have engrained more than their fair share of fingernail hieroglyphs into my desk over the years, and cannot be ignored, as their more accurate counterparts can often be. When seeing the prompt for the challenge, many Pokemon and their Hail Mary staples came to my head, and it was reassuring to my own waning knowledge seeing many of my original guesses in the teams. But the goal of creativity is to see things you NEVER thought you would see shine in challenges you'd have never pegged them for. While seeing some unique strategies always peaks my brewing mind, seeing Lord Esche bring Electrium Z to a Z-Happy Hour battle had my taste buds tingling on Jirachi, and pasting Dazzling Gleam on a spinner had me legitimately checking to see if Tentacruel could learn it, much less use it effectively. Nightingales re-use of Hitmonlee always has me attempt it on the ladder, to a nice clean 150+ Ladder loss. Which always has me pondering how she does it. I also have a soft spot for non-mega megas, like Scarf Gardevoir, who is overshadowed by her ballroom-gown wearing Super Saiyan form, and Sceptile, who is always surprisingly more effective than I ever give him credit for. The spice is right on most of these teams, but my goodness if they aren't perfectly seasoned on these teams.

Essence: I believe the essence of the challenge was not to widdle away opponents in wars of attrition with hazards and status as a core part of the team, but to knock opponents into the sky with misplays reaping sneak kills. High Risk yields Greater Rewards, and while all of the teams met the requirements greatly, I truly believe that Lord Esche and Giratina93 embraced the challenge the most, simply by doing the least to mitigate their accuracy penalty. It is this embrace in luck, and building around the concept that missing does not necessarily equate to losing that has me most excited for the challenge and the competition they put forth. To hit is to win, but to miss is not to lose, and these two oncoming chefs knew the shallots from the onions right out of the gate.

Effectiveness: UU has a plethora of threats up and down the ladder, with dozens of considerations to beat countless varieties of sets and teams. It's possibly the tier's most engaging aspect, and while wonderful, is a headache for team building. While all the teams deserve props for battling against such renowned Iron Chefs, I bring my choice not on the battle of experts (and their invincible win rates), but on what I believe would survive on the cut-throat streets known as the ladder. Now, I am no longer a great battler, as a long hiatus has me relearning old skills I once (barely) possessed. But in scrounging for scraps at the lower ladder (RIP >1500 dreams) I must toss my votes for both Renny_ and bla bla fat (though I prefer Taunt Gliscor's hints of pepper to his Facade Gliscor's over-sweetness). UU is a harsh ladder with so many of OU's "throwaways" having explosive tastes, and so many versatile teams building around their power, but I believe these teams, in the right hands, have the most potential to bring their handlers away from mid-ladder and into the Box Seats of laddering, where the portions may be smaller, but the taste is out of this world.

As always take these diner-chef's words with a (healthy, and regulated) grain of salt. As I flip pancakes, you flip expectations. Kudos to all of you.

Last edited:
Creativity:

Nightingales- Based on team comp alone Nightingales was by far the most creative, when taking into account the how Nightingales went deep into lower tiers to build a team and the courage to use Grass Whistle as one of the low accuracy moves shows how outside of the box Nightingales was willing to go.

Giratina93- I didn't even know that Gravity worked like that, among all of the different ways we saw accuracy drops worked around this was by far the most creative way to compensate for the natural flavor of the secret ingredient. The use of a move that's essentially never used at all combined with the use of a mons like Claydol and SubRoost Mega-Altaria made for a pretty cool team that left the comfort zone to try flavors that we might not have otherwise experienced.

Essence:

Lord Esche- Went out and truly embraced the potential to miss with a do-or-die dish that had one of my absolute favorite seasonings in offensive Tentacruel. They always forget that it learns Dazzling Gleam, every single time they forget, but master chefs remember well. Aerodactyl-Mega alongside Z-Thunder Calm Mind Jirachi was a bold flavor choice as well and a delight to see.

Giratina93- The teams we saw had a ton of different ways to mitigate the secret ingredient's flavor, but this dish had my absolute favorite method. When I first saw Gravity used I thought that Giratina93 simply wanted to EQ a bird, but using it as a method to bring powerful attacks down without miss was something reminiscent of using Trick Room to get around speed issues or Sand teams to increase the effectiveness of already powerful mons. Definitely captured the essence of the dish well.

Effectiveness:

bla bla fat- I thought about what teams simply looked the most realistically effective for this category, and this team would fit right into the ladder without sticking out. An effective use of taste that goes down easy and satisfies completely.

Lord Esche- Similar to bla bla fat, Lord Esche's team would fit right into the regular kitchen grind of the ladder without offending the expected taste of the usual dishes seen there. Offensive Tentacruel is a shock to the tastebuds for the ladder to see without a doubt, but in the best kind of way, more of an underrated flavor than a gimmicky blend of tastes. Meanwhile Calm Mind Jirachi and Aerodactyl-Mega are easy to digest for any meal of the day.

Last edited:

vivalospride

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Creativity:

Nightingales- Based on team comp alone Nightingales was by far the most creative, when taking into account the how Nightingales went deep into lower tiers to build a the team and the courage to use Grass Whistle as one of the low accuracy moves shows how outside of the box Nightingales was willing to go.

Giratina93- I didn't even know that Gravity worked like that, among all of the different ways we saw accuracy drops worked around this was by far the most creative way to compensate for the natural flavor of the secret ingredient. The use of a move that's essentially never used at all combined with the use of a mons like Claydol and SubRoost Mega-Altaria made for a pretty cool team that left the comfort zone to try flavors that we might not have otherwise experienced.

Essence:

Lord Esche- Went out and truly embraced the potential to miss with a do-or-die dish that had one of my absolute favorite seasonings in offensive Tentacruel. They always forget that it learns Dazzling Gleam, every single time they forget, but master chefs remember well. Aerodactyl-Mega alongside Z-Thunder Calm Mind Jirachi was a bold flavor choice as well and a delight to see.

Giratina93- The teams we saw had a ton of different ways to mitigate the secret ingredient's flavor, but this dish had my absolute favorite method. When I first saw Gravity used I thought that Giratina93 simply wanted to EQ a bird, but using it as a method to bring powerful attacks down without miss was something reminiscent of using Trick Room to get around speed issues or Sand teams to increase the effectiveness of already powerful mons. Definitely captured the essence of the dish well.

Effectiveness:

bla bla fat- I thought about what teams simply looked the most realistically effective for this category, and this team would fit right into the ladder without sticking out. An effective use of taste that goes down easy and satisfies completely.

Lord Esche- Similar to bla bla fat Lord Esche's team would fit right into the regular kitchen grind of the ladder without offending the expected taste of the usual dishes seen there. Offensive Tentacruel is a shock to the tastebuds for the ladder to see without a doubt, but in the best kind of way, more of an underrated flavor than a gimmicky blend of tastes. Meanwhile Calm Mind Jirachi and Aerodactyl-Mega are easy to digest for any meal of the day.
Yeah I like mine too

Yeah I like mine too
I don't have anything against it, but I just don't think it makes the top 2 of any category for me. It was a neat team but nothing truly stood out to me as breaking the mold. Galv+ZHH Jirachi was neat since it had Zen Headbutt to laugh in the face of its most common revenge killer Infernape under the right conditions, but now you worsen your matchups against Alomomola, Swampert, and Rotom-W by sacrificing Energy Ball which hurts your effectiveness. Plus I don't feel like putting a team with ZHH Jirachi ahead of who I chose for my essence and creativity votes.

Don't feel bad, it's just a fun little challenge to see what people can come up with under restricting circumstances. Your team was perfectly fine.

vivalospride

I don't have anything against it, but I just don't think it makes the top 2 of any category for me. It was a neat team but nothing truly stood out to me as breaking the mold. Galv+ZHH Jirachi was neat since it had Zen Headbutt to laugh in the face of its most common revenge killer Infernape under the right conditions, but now you worsen your matchups against Alomomola, Swampert, and Rotom-W by sacrificing Energy Ball which hurts your effectiveness. Plus I don't feel like putting a team with ZHH Jirachi ahead of who I chose for my essence and creativity votes.

Don't feel bad, it's just a fun little challenge to see what people can come up with under restricting circumstances. Your team was perfectly fine.
Believe me I don't feel bad my friend, if anything your being nice, my team trash, hmu with a vote out of pity tho.

You know, I'm pretty sure that somebody trying to solicit votes in the past got them disqualified. Might be a fuzzy memory, but either way, I think it'd be encouraged to NOT do that.

vivalospride

You know, I'm pretty sure that somebody trying to solicit votes in the past got them disqualified. Might be a fuzzy memory, but either way, I think it'd be encouraged to NOT do that.
Alright my bad bud, obviously wasn't being serious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)